• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Does anyone know if the allow auto updating setting for applications applies when an app changes permissions? I assume not but wasnt sure. If it doesnt i was thinking of turning that on for all apps

Apps that change permission require manual approval for new permissions. You're okay to put auto update for apps.

Circle T

On that note, anyone know what the update checking interval is for the Market? I've had "Auto-Update Apps" checked since I bought the phone, but I have to constantly go in and update things manually. Is it updating without me knowing, and if so, why doesn't it leave the little "App Updated" icon in the notification bar?

Circle T

The guy owes me money.... oh wait.. I said the TF101.... drat!

Yea, I couldn't remember which TF he mentioned before, but either way, it does suck pretty hard that the Xoom isn't first to ICS. With so many of those initial HC tablets being pretty much stock, you would think more would have been already updated. Oh well, at least they are starting now.

Yea, I couldn't remember which TF he mentioned before, but either way, it does suck pretty hard that the Xoom isn't first to ICS. So many of those initial HC tablets were pretty much stock, you would think more would have already updated. Oh well, at least they are starting now.

ASUS PUTTIN' IN WORK!

panda21

Has anyone tried MIUI 4 (the ICS version)?

curious as to whether it is smoother than vanilla ICS on the SGS2/GNexus

I really like the general way android works compared to iOS 5 (I have both), but there are so many little things wrong with ICS that it starts to bug me.

kinggroin

Banned
Has anyone tried MIUI 4 (the ICS version)?

curious as to whether it is smoother than vanilla ICS on the SGS2/GNexus

I really like the general way android works compared to iOS 5 (I have both), but there are so many little things wrong with ICS that it starts to bug me.

If its based on 4.0.3 I'll be faster than the stock GN ICS

Android noob here:

On the Iphone, all the app icons have the same size, shape and the same dropshadow.

On the ndroid, it seems that you can do whatever you want as long as it fits within a square, am i right in this? Also, no automatic generated dropshadows, right?

thanx

Circle T

Paging DrFunk, and other G-Note owners.

After my debacle with Handtec, I've finally got my order fully cancelled and money refunded. I see that Negri has the White Galaxy Note in stock now. It is a little more expensive than Handtec was charging, but nothing crazy. Now, though, I have have a dilema...

Waiting so long for the White Note, and then wasting a few weeks with Handtec, has now put me in a weird timeframe. I would like to get the Note, but we are only a month or so away from MWC. Anything launched at MWC probably won't ship right away, so we're still a few months away from anything really new shipping, but still.

So, owners of the Note, if you DID NOT own one right now, would you still buy it today? Since the Note just came out relatively recently, I'm not anticipating a newer version at MWC, but who knows.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Paging DrFunk, and other G-Note owners.

After my debacle with Handtec, I've finally got my order fully cancelled and money refunded. I see that Negri has the White Galaxy Note in stock now. It is a little more expensive than Handtec was charging, but nothing crazy. Now, though, I have have a dilema...

Waiting so long for the White Note, and then wasting a few weeks with Handtec, has now put me in a weird timeframe. I would like to get the Note, but we are only a month or so away from MWC. Anything launched at MWC probably won't ship right away, so we're still a few months away from anything really new shipping, but still.

So, owners of the Note, if you DID NOT own one right now, would you still buy it today? Since the Note just came out relatively recently, I'm not anticipating a newer version at MWC, but who knows.

The screen. The screeeeeen.

Joking aside...if I didn't own a Note, would I still buy one? Maybe. MWC is right around the corner, with quad core devices. GSIII and HTC's quad core roundup are coming, but I guess you gotta ask yourself, do you really want that? If they were quadband 3G, I know I would. (The GSIII will be quadband 3G, btw).

But I bought (and made love to) and Note because it's probably the fastest, most versatile device at the moment. Large screen, fast processor and pocket-able frame make it a winner in my book. That's what I want in a device, and that's why I bought it.

There probably will be a successor to the Note, but it won't be at MWC. The Note is too new, and still selling quite well. If you don't need to have the latest and greatest, I'd buy it.
and then buy the next big thing, because I am a whore

Al-ibn Kermit

I just started up my transformer prime and it immediately gave me the notification to update to ics. I did that and then I went to marketplace to sync my Gmail account but every time I try to download any apps, it gives me an error code (-101). I don't know if the transformer is the problem or if it's ics or something else. Has anybody else had this issue?

I just started up my transformer prime and it immediately gave me the notification to update to ics. I did that and then I went to marketplace to sync my Gmail account but every time I try to download any apps, it gives me an error code (-101). I don't know if the transformer is the problem or if it's ics or something else. Has anybody else had this issue?

Try clearing the Market's data and cache.

Al-ibn Kermit

Tried doing that and restarting a few times, didn't seem to make any difference. It gives me that error code whether I try downloading a new app or one I've downloaded onto another device.

Coming to a phone near you in late 2013/early 2014!

Just in time for my upgrade to come due on my Tuna.

The giant smartphone culture is so weird. I thought the current offering was already way too big already so I'm super happy when they released Xperia Ray... then we see these 4.6 inch almost-tablet phones :|

Now that I've had my Tuna and it's 4.65" screen, it's hard to imagine going back to something smaller. It's nice to be able to see web pages on a phone screen, it really is.

pr0cs

Yea I have been using ICS on mine also and if I hadn't been able to get ICS I would probably be looking to get a new phone. Now I feel like I can wait until every phone coming out has ICS and AT&T has a decent selection.

Same position. I'm using the CM7-9 ICS port out there and it works pretty well, certainly no worse battery life than the 'stock' ROMs out there.

I am in a different situation than a lot of people. I bought the phone outright and have had 10-15 different roms on it already jumping around to hacked official roms, MIUI, CM7, etc, etc until I found something I like.

ICS is so good, once you start using it the though of going back to GB is impossible, even if you might get slightly longer battery life or more stability. The apps alone (gmail, calendar, browser) are worth some of the downfalls of the cobbled together Galaxy S ICS ports that are out currently.

Toki767

It really is ridiculous how ICS on a Galaxy S makes the phone feel brand new and seemingly faster than some dual core phones on Gingerbread.

Lesiroth

I'm not even sure what's the point of stronger GPUs at this point, other than feature parity with Apple's counterparts. It's gonna be a while before there's something to work them out.

Carton

The giant smartphone culture is so weird. I thought the current offering was already way too big already so I'm super happy when they released Xperia Ray... then we see these 4.6 inch almost-tablet phones :|

I think of it less as a phone and more as a pocket computer with phone capabilities, which is exactly what i want. The vast majority of time i spend on it (the Galaxy Note) is spent browsing, reading e-books/pdfs, gaming, emailing and texting, thus a large, clear screen greatly improves the experience. Of course, i do call on it too, but that function is the only one where a smaller screen is preferable, and even still, it's not at all uncomfortable to use.

It would probably take the unveiling of another ~5.3" 1280*720/800 (or higher display), plus a quad core processor with a similarly slim form factor for me to be particularly envious, but i'm not sure how likely it is that such a device will be revealed. I'm eagerly awaiting the unveiling of quad core phones, but i think my Note will keep me very happy until the end of the year, by which time we'll hopefully see the Note's successor.

Toki767

What kind of battery life do you guys think Tegra 3 would give to phones? Pretty curious when we'll start seeing phones with it come out.

Circle T

Any case recommendation for T-Mobile's Galaxy S2? Seems pretty tough to find...guess my google-fu isn't good enough.

The size of the T-Mo GSII is almost identical to the AT&T GSII Skyrocket. So any cases for that should fit. I'm not really one for cases, though, so I'm not really much help with recommendations, but maybe that will help with your search options.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
blaze4g.jpg

Hot on the heels of the Galaxy S II's success, T-Mobile's getting another Samsung 4G device brewed up. The new smartphone, called the Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G, isn't set to be available until later this year, which unfortunately means we're getting very little details at the moment. According to the press release, the Blaze will have a 1.5GHz dual-core CPU, 42Mbps HSPA+ and a "brilliant Super AMOLED touch screen." Again, this is all we have been given at the moment, and we're confused by the fact that the display doesn't have an HD in front nor a Plus in back, as well as the phone's use of "Galaxy S" in the title. As always, it's our hope that this CES announcement will be shortly followed up with an opportunity to get some hands-on time and more details, and we'll keep you posted with any updates as they come in.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hurhur, the Blaze 4G better have a red-eye reduction feature!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It really is ridiculous how ICS on a Galaxy S makes the phone feel brand new and seemingly faster than some dual core phones on Gingerbread.

I am completely and utterly intimidated by the prospect of rooting and flashing a new rom on my Vibrant. I tried it once and hard bricked it (a real hard brick, not one that could be fixed like most people get).

Every guide I have seen has been hard to follow and never complete, either assuming you have already rooted or assuming you aren't an idiot.

Agentnibs

Its obviously not supposed to be a high end device, will probably be the spiritual successor to the exhibit 2 which is midrange. Optimus killer basically

Blackhead

Redarse
I am completely and utterly intimidated by the prospect of rooting and flashing a new rom on my Vibrant. I tried it once and hard bricked it (a real hard brick, not one that could be fixed like most people get).

Every guide I have seen has been hard to follow and never complete, either assuming you have already rooted or assuming you aren't an idiot.

Have you considered replying toone of the ads on craigslist offering to install Roms for $20?

zoku88

Great thanks! I am really getting slower 3G speeds on this Galaxy S 2 compared to my old iPhone 4.

Galaxy S 2: ~ 10 Mbs

iPhone 4 : 13 Mbs

I can't really complain with those speeds, but it still sucks. /firstworldproblems

Is that an ATT branded S2 or international?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom