• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

The only thing product I'ved feigned interest in, is your mom.

(I was bored then too)
Given she's 75 ... you must have been REALLY bored.

Come on, this was the laziest attempt at a comeback I've ever seen. You're better than this!
I'm confused why a comeback was even warranted. I haven't really followed Copernicus to definitely know what schtick dream was getting at ... but from seeing posts in a few various threads I'm normally in, that seems to be it.

Am I actually that far off the mark? :D Doesn't seem so.

gcubed

ICS was and is made with the goal that Phone, Tablet and TV support is brought together. This Lenovo TV seems to be the first example of the TV side of things. Interested to see what its like in comparision to a dedicated Google TV device (which is just running Honeycomb anyway)

the ICS goal is to have everything merged, but its not fully merged yet.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So my friends bought Atrix 2s for $1 each on contract. Thanks GAF for your feedback. Now to email them the Android Apps thread.

Doopliss

Finally upgraded to a Galaxy S2 (I'm on Sprint and coming from a Palm Pre which I had from launch). Haven't messed with the phone much other than get it setup with my account, anything I should know for starters?
There are videos on youtube showing some of the 'hidden' features that Samsung includes in their TouchWiz UI. A couple of things are quite useful, and you might not realise they were there otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=galaxy+s+2+tricks

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Lotsa stuff from ATT:

Xperia ION - 4.6 display, LTE, exclusive:
2ef5d15d-5429-4b8f-ab47-307ab88d74bd.jpg

Galaxy S II Skyrocket HD:
994ed4e5-cdbb-43ec-aff3-539dc334c90b.jpg

Galaxy Note LTE (ATT exclusive):
dea6dc92-0838-4212-b836-ed6068a10308.jpg

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm definitely getting a new phone this march, but none of those phones look cool enough to me. And I definitely wanna get LTE, so I hope one of the other three they have to show today looks cool, and isn't QUALCOMM'd.

Pctx

Banned
what the crap!?!? My Skyrocket getting a 720p screen? Also--- WTF at Sprint of all shitty carriers getting the Nexus before AT&T. Who do I need to shoot?

kehs

Banned
Samsung phones are gonna need an external attachment for capacitive button soon, there's no more room on the front of these devices.

Circle T

An LTE Note is awesome, but I'll stick w/ my international, Exynos, "big button", HSPA version

I cancelled my order today for my White Note. Handtec was an absolute nightmare to deal with. Never replying to any of my shipment inquiries, and when they did, it was just to have me "confirm" something that had long been confirmed. Ordered it 2-1/2 weeks ago, and have nothing to show for it. Bummer.

Guess I'll just hold out and see what comes in February at MWC. I'll just get a Note for my work phone, since that is official now.

kehs

Banned
Yup, just saw it.

<3

Iti's always reminded me of the N1. They better get rid of those capacitive buttons and put an led in there ala GN.

DrFunk

sonyxperiaioneng8374.jpg

AT&T and Sony Ericsson haven't exactly had the best of luck as Android partners -- we submit the Xperia Play 4G and the Xperia X10 as exhibits A and B -- but it appears that the two companies are blowing on the dice in Vegas and hoping that luck will change with their latest flagship. AT&T and Sony (that's right, not a hint of Ericsson in sight) took to the stage to announce the Xperia ion. It's packing some good specs, too: a 4.6-inch 1280 x 720 HD Reality display, a 1.5GHz dual-core CPU, LTE, 16GB flash storage and a 12MP Exmor-R rear camera offering 1080p video capture that's paired up with a 1.3MP front-facing cam that offers 720p HD video. It'll also be Playstation-Certified, much like the Xperia Play before it.

The ion's gearing up for a Q2 release, but we were disappointed to learn that it's going to launch with Gingerbread installed, especially given the fact that Sony's been very forthcoming about upgrading its Xperia lineup to ICS by the end of the first quarter. We suspect the delay will be at least in part due to additional carrier testing. Granted, it's a long time away and things are subject to change. No pricing has yet been announced, but it's quite likely we'll see the feature-laden smartphone starting out around $250, if not more. We should have a hands-on shortly.

kehs

Banned
Also announced today for the Now Network is the LTE-enabled LG Viper, an eco-friendly Gingerbread handset with a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 4-inch NOVA display, and 5 MP and VGA cameras on the back and front respectively. Like the Galaxy Nexus, the Viper will also feature NFC and Google Wallet, so you can leave your wallet behind and pay with your phone.

Sprint's LG Viper to have Google Wallet while the rest of the Nexus family won't.

Amazing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
amazing how ugly that search widget is now that i've been on ICS for a few weeks.

It is absolutely hideous. And it's offensive these phone companies are releasing their phones with 2.3. If anyone buys those phones, except to get screwed post ICS.

ShinNL

The giant smartphone culture is so weird. I thought the current offering was already way too big already so I'm super happy when they released Xperia Ray... then we see these 4.6 inch almost-tablet phones :|

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/08/toshiba-excite-x10-tablet-coming-to-the-us/

Yikes, $530 for a Tegra 2 tablet? I was hoping CES would push prices for older tech down :/
Their first tablet offering, Folio 100, was Tegra 2 as well. It bombed so hard that I managed to get it for &#8364;99 :D

And it really sucked, even for that price it really felt crappy. Then beginning this year someone ported a near-perfect ICS ROM for it.. I'm playing Pinball HD for Tegra right now :D Suddenly it's a sexy sexy device (especially for the low price I had to pay :p). /brag

Dead

well not really...yet
I've been using the Google music player + the Equalizer app since Ive gotten my S2, and now all of a sudden the equalizer only works on a few select albums in my collection and not with everything else.

Anyone else ever experience something like this?

Cruceh

Banned
Anyone know if samsung galaxy s3 will be announced at CES?

Also, there's nothing wrong with buying samsung phones. They have the best hardware and there are always a lot of support for their devices from xda-developers. Does anyone actually use stock ROMs on android?

DrFunk

Anyone know if samsung galaxy s3 will be announced at CES?

Also, there's nothing wrong with buying samsung phones. They have the best hardware and there are always a lot of support for their devices from xda-developers. Does anyone actually use stock ROMs on android?

MWC (Mobile World Congress) in Barcelona, Feb. 27th

Husker86

The giant smartphone culture is so weird. I thought the current offering was already way too big already so I'm super happy when they released Xperia Ray... then we see these 4.6 inch almost-tablet phones :|

Going smaller and smaller was cool until we could actually do things with our phones. The difference in usability for me between the iPhone's 3.5" screen and the 4.3"+ I've used is huge; the added real estate for browsing/playing games is totally worth it. Having the Galaxy Nexus now I will admit is probably on the highest end I would go for comfort though; the lowest I'd go at this point is 4". I had the iPhone 4 for 8 months after having an EVO for a short time and the screen size was one of the few things I've ever experienced that I didn't adjust to totally over time.

TeegsD

So the Galaxy Nexus is finally coming to Sprint but talks of Galaxy S 3 being revealed next month make me want to wait a couple more months. Hmm decisions, decisions

Does anyone know if the allow auto updating setting for applications applies when an app changes permissions? I assume not but wasnt sure. If it doesnt i was thinking of turning that on for all apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom