• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Dropped my ATT Galaxy S2 today and there are scratches on the bezel where stupid ass BodyGuardz did not protect. Truly first world problems.

Returning Bodyguardz asap. Might as well not have this on.

jey_16

Banned
So what's the best rom to get if I want ics on my galaxy s2?

I know there have been some leaked samsung roms but these are running touchwiz and looking at the screenshots, i prefer stock

Ashhong

International version, the one with the physical button

I think CM9 is the best (only?) custom ROM out there for it right now. It's experimental and not fully functional. Theres a user here that posts uses it who can probably explain better.

Got my Transformer Prime today, loving it so far.

Are there any sports apps (like ESPN Scorecenter or Yahoo! Sportacular) optimized for tablets?

I'm definitely getting a new phone this march, but none of those phones look cool enough to me. And I definitely wanna get LTE, so I hope one of the other three they have to show today looks cool, and isn't QUALCOMM'd.

i could be wrong, but if it's on AT&T LTE then it's got a Qualcomm processor, as that's the only one that can currently support either an LTE or AT&T's LTE network...not totally sure.

C'mon Samsung and nVidia step up and release some processors that can support LTE already...

Al-ibn Kermit

C'mon Samsung and nVidia step up and release some processors that can support LTE already...

I don't think nvidea puts the radios on phones with tegra processors. Well at least the Atrix, Photon, and Bionic all had Tegra 2 but with completely different radios. I'm guessing it's up to the manufacturers like Motorola to figure out how to combine the tegra chip with a radio.

I hope the Razr Maxx ignites a battery race of arms with Android manufacturers. It's about damn time. I'll gladly accept a phone that is slightly thicker if it means a way higher battery life.

I don't think nvidea puts the radios on phones with tegra processors. Well at least the Atrix, Photon, and Bionic all had Tegra 2 but with completely different radios. I'm guessing it's up to the manufacturers like Motorola to figure out how to combine the tegra chip with a radio.

yeah but i think the processor has to support LTE for some reason...maybe the chipset?

i'm really not a technical guy but i have noticed that the Exynos processor isn't in anything with LTE and it's not in the T Mobile Galaxy SII either because it couldn't support the HSPA+42.

i'm sad that the exynos was taken out of the GSII Skyrocket and the Skyrocket HD and the ATT Galaxy Note.

I hope the Razr Maxx ignites a battery race of arms with Android manufacturers. It's about damn time. I'll gladly accept a phone that is slightly thicker if it means a way higher battery life.

I know what you're talking about, biggest phone battery used in the past year i believe is the
Motorola Atrix 4G with a 1920 or 1930mAh battery.

All these LTE radios can use all the juice they can get.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I bit the bullet and installed ICS Passion on my TMobile Vibrant.

Seems pretty slick so far. And holy crap, GPS actually works properly now. Hallelujah.

Kagami

So, owners of the Note, if you DID NOT own one right now, would you still buy it today? Since the Note just came out relatively recently, I'm not anticipating a newer version at MWC, but who knows.
1280x800 @ 5.3" is a pretty unusual thing. We may not see a direct competitor to that for a long time. I'm sure there'll be plenty of 1280x720 @ 4.5"ish at MWC if you're also considering something like that though.

yes you are right, forgot about the Note, but with that screen, you would have to, i mean right...

still...razr maxx having a 3300mAh battery is crazy. wonder what the typical life will be.

probably like 2-3 days on moderate usage?

rozay

Banned
The stock google music player on 4.0.3 just made my nexus one shit itself-every file in my music library was physically deleted and everything shows up on my phone and computer but the music folder, with 22gb free when there used to be roughly 5gb free. what the fuck?

jey_16

Banned
holy shit....that was tense but i did it, rooted my galaxy s2, flashed CM7 and then CM9. I was freaking out but it actually turned out ok.

i cant believe how awesome ICS is, such a leap from gingerbread. Only bugs i have noticed so far is the video recording not working and youtube wont play videos but i can live with that.

risk

Probably been asked a few times, but Galaxy S2 or Galaxy Nexus? Been going back and forth between the two and I like the Nexus since it's the newest Google phone, but I also like the S2 since it's maybe $50-100 cheaper and expandable memory.

Or maybe I should try out ICS on my Captivate...

Toki767

Probably been asked a few times, but Galaxy S2 or Galaxy Nexus? Been going back and forth between the two and I like the Nexus since it's the newest Google phone, but I also like the S2 since it's maybe $50-100 cheaper and expandable memory.

ICS on the Captivate. Do it. You won't regret it.

Between the S2 and the Galaxy Nexus though, they're virtually the same. If I had to choose between the two though I'd go for the Galaxy Nexus only because I know updates will come to that in a timely manner. Plus you get the experience Google actually designed.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
yes you are right, forgot about the Note, but with that screen, you would have to, i mean right...

still...razr maxx having a 3300mAh battery is crazy. wonder what the typical life will be.

probably like 2-3 days on moderate usage?

Probably longer, the Note can last 2-3 days on moderate usage

Cruceh

Banned
I am completely and utterly intimidated by the prospect of rooting and flashing a new rom on my Vibrant. I tried it once and hard bricked it (a real hard brick, not one that could be fixed like most people get).

Every guide I have seen has been hard to follow and never complete, either assuming you have already rooted or assuming you aren't an idiot.

Be careful. I lost my vibrant IMEI through flashing somehow and forgot to make a backup of the efs folder. I hadnt really noticed as everything works fine, but I have some generic IMEI now, not the original that is on the box. I think it was when I flashed CM7. Oh well, my phone works fine on ATT.

Circle T

My White Galaxy Note has shipped!! I ordered with Negri, and it was a stark contrast to my poor experience with Handtec. After ordering with Handtec, nearly 3 weeks later nothing had come close to shipping. With Negri, though, my order was processed and shipped same day. Can't wait to get this thing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
what do you mean? Apple hasn't found a way to block or remote uninstall Cidia on jailbroken iPhones have they?

The catch is your iPhone has to be jailbroken in the first place. I don't expect Google to plug holes like Apple, though.

panda21

holy shit....that was tense but i did it, rooted my galaxy s2, flashed CM7 and then CM9. I was freaking out but it actually turned out ok.

i cant believe how awesome ICS is, such a leap from gingerbread. Only bugs i have noticed so far is the video recording not working and youtube wont play videos but i can live with that.

assuming you went with the CM9 on xda?

just noticed a new build released today so going to try that out :D

I think CM9 will be pretty amazing once it is finished.

I had both units.

Hardware wise Gs2 wins no doubt.
Faster and smoother overall. Can handle anything without lag/hiccup ex. animated live wallpaper and HD videos.
speaker is louder.
reception is is better.
screen is more vibrant but less resolution.
way way better camera.
Rooting and adding custom rom is much more pleasant. It takes forever to back up and restore roms with the galaxy nexus.
The Gs2 and Note is probably the most powerful smartphone out right now still.

Galaxy nexus looks better.
I like the built quality better.
feels better in hands.
very nice screen but less bright.
about same on battery life.
weak speaker.
reception sucks.
overclocking is worthless.
ICS is nice but overrated. Try it out with your captivate.
Camera sucks
If you try to take picture without focusing(zero shutter speed) then picture turns out grainy and crappy. If you focus on an object it add shutter time, still grainy and not as good as the GS2. Defeat the purpose of zero shutter lag.
Development of custom roms is about the same. But nexus will probably last longer.
Browsing is superb, extra screen size really helps.
Kinda buggy overall still.

...runs and hide before fellow galaxy nexus owners get pissy at me....

kinggroin

Banned
I had both units.

Faster and smoother overall. Can handle anything without lag/hiccup ex. animated live wallpaper and HD videos.
speaker is louder.
reception is is better.
way way better camera.
Rooting and adding custom rom is much more pleasant. It takes forever to back up and restore roms with the galaxy nexus.

feels better in hands.
weak speaker.
reception sucks.
Camera sucks
If you try to take picture without focusing(zero shutter speed) then picture turns out grainy and crappy. If you focus on an object it add shutter time, still grainy and not as good as the GS2. Defeat the purpose of zero shutter lag.
Development of custom roms is about the same. But nexus will probably last longer.

No reason to hide, lol. Outside of how you feel about ics, I agree with you. I prefer the nexus myself for the out-of-box stock nature and more mature ics roms (the sg2 roms are still buggy or feature incomplete).

Btw, I will never say anything bad about the laggy typing in gaf using the phone. It took me fucking forever to type this using my dad's iPhone 4. Holy shit; you want to talk laggy? Doesn't help that the screen is so small, the browser zooms in on typing, and the keyboard take up half the viewing area.

I had both units.

speaker is louder.
reception is is better.
way way better camera.

feels better in hands.
weak speaker.
reception sucks.
Camera sucks

i wonder if the qualcomm versions of the SII and the Note are at least comparable to the Exynos versions. Thinking about going for this now and then paying full price for a quad core in early-late spring, having a GSII as my backup phone wouldn't be half bad.

in other news... i put the teamhacksung ICS ROM on my captivate (was inspired by you guys just now) and holy shit its nice. If it was my daily driver i might be willing to just keep it until the spring.

afraid to put ICS on my atrix for some reason. will be more willing once i get a new phone. i've heard the atrix doesn't have a quite as stable version just yet.

i wonder if the qualcomm versions of the SII and the Note are at least comparable to the Exynos versions. Thinking about going for this now and then paying full price for a quad core in early-late spring, having a GSII as my backup phone wouldn't be half bad.

in other news... i put the teamhacksung ICS ROM on my captivate (was inspired by you guys just now) and holy shit its nice. If it was my daily driver i might be willing to just keep it until the spring.

afraid to put ICS on my atrix for some reason. will be more willing once i get a new phone. i've heard the atrix doesn't have a quite as stable version just yet.

I had the Exynos version of the GS2. I could have traded the Exynos for the LTE qualcomm but when I checked out the Skyrocket(qualcomm) it did feel less snappy than the Exynos, so I decided to keep the Exynos version. The skyrocket was still very snappy felt better than the galaxy nexus with 4.0.1. I wonder how the skyrocket HD will perform compare to the galaxy nexus.

derder

I've been using it as my daily driver since build 5 with no real issues

Pctx

Banned
Not that this is really surprising to any of us, but I can confirm that the AT&T Galaxy Note DOES use the Qualcomm chipset. They updated our internal data site today with all the newly announced models from CES. Here are the pdfs, if anyone wants a look....

-----

Galaxy Note

Galaxy SII Skyrocket HD

Samsung Exhilerate

Sony Ion

Pantech Burst

Nokia Lumia 900

HTC Titan II

Glad I kept my Skyrocket. 720p + the same chipset + no battery increase = painful battery life.

Circle T

Has anybodies Google Voice app been acting up?

Yes, now that you mention it. For some reason, recently when I click on a notification in the pull-down menu, it doesn't clear the notification. It just sits there, even though there is nothing unread. I have to go and open the app itself to get them to clear.

I have noticed that the web favicon was recently updated in the last day or so. Maybe there are some updates coming. I want Google Voice to get full sync access. Basically Gmail push, but for my calls/texts/vmails. Currently, if I have a bunch of stuff in my inbox on the phone, and then go to the web and clear it all out, the phone app won't clear all of that until I open it and it syncs at that time. I want it to do all that simultaneously, in the background, like GMail.

One would think this wouldn't be that hard to do; Gmail but for phone stuff. But given how unloved Google Voice has been for years, I'm not holding my breath.

kehs

Banned
Yes, now that you mention it. For some reason, recently when I click on a notification in the pull-down menu, it doesn't clear the notification. It just sits there, even though there is nothing unread. I have to go and open the app itself to get them to clear.

I have noticed that the web favicon was recently updated in the last day or so. Maybe there are some updates coming. I want Google Voice to get full sync access. Basically Gmail push, but for my calls/texts/vmails. Currently, if I have a bunch of stuff in my inbox on the phone, and then go to the web and clear it all out, the phone app won't clear all of that until I open it and it syncs at that time. I want it to do all that simultaneously, in the background, like GMail.

One would think this wouldn't be that hard to do; Gmail but for phone stuff. But given how unloved Google Voice has been for years, I'm not holding my breath.

I've been getting a bunch of "unable to fetch inbox" errors and "can't load errors", shit is weird cause there hasn't been much activity in the account lately.

Like you, I'm hoping this means some sort of update for Voice, cause it's a long time coming.

thespot84

Lol mine's been doing that since I had my OG droid, maybe a year....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom