• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circle T

Lol mine's been doing that since I had my OG droid, maybe a year....

You know, now that I think about it, I started to notice this when I got my Nexus. Since you can swipe down the notification tray from the lock screen in stock ICS, and go right to the item, I've been using that a lot. Previously, I would just see what app had a notification, and then unlock the phone and launch the app. That would obviously clear the Voice notification. You're probably right, and this is an old bug that I'm just now starting to notice due to my new usage patterns.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My HTC Incredible keeps giving me a low on space notification, but I've deleted pretty much everything I can and it won't go away. Dialer Storage for some reason is getting huge and is at 99mb, but I have no idea why. Any way to fix this?

Patriots7

The more I see the Xperia Ion, the more that I want it.

The only annoying thing is, when it finally does get ICS, two of the buttons will be useless. Ugh.

risk

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try out ICS on my Captivate first. Any major issues with the teamhacksung builds? Leaning a little towards the S2 after reading your guys' opinions.

rozay

Banned
I love the design of the Xperia S and now I'm wondering if I should go with one of those over a nexus. maybe if it had a decent development community..

saunderez

they only have 19000 on SGS2?! thats actually amazingly low, i thought cyanogen was much bigger than that.

I think you'll find a lot of people use modded official roms due to TouchWiz actually not being that bad. I was using a modded official rom most of the time. Will be moving to CM9 when it gets a bit more stable due to the fact Samsung is still pushing ahead with TouchWiz and has uglified the new UI with it.

Angst

they only have 19000 on SGS2?! thats actually amazingly low, i thought cyanogen was much bigger than that.

I assume CM together with MIUI are the biggest custom ROMs. You also have to factor in all the derivative ROMs that are created from either TW or CM and then modified in some way.

And most people either don't know about custom ROMs or don't bother with it.

I think you'll find a lot of people use modded official roms due to TouchWiz actually not being that bad. I was using a modded official rom most of the time. Will be moving to CM9 when it gets a bit more stable due to the fact Samsung is still pushing ahead with TouchWiz and has uglified the new UI with it.

and TouchWiz also has hardware acceleration for more video formats and the browser!

Angst

and TouchWiz also has hardware acceleration for more video formats and the browser!

Yep, that's why I'm on CheckROM at the moment. I also use MHL quite a lot, which I don't get with Cyanogen. If they somehow manage to get MHL in there (someone on XDA said TV-Out was integrated in ICS) I'll jump ship for CM at once.

SimleuqiR

I have seen Chrome for Android, and it is good

Chrome for Android is coming, but not anytime soon. The demonstration I was shown is already everything I described above and more. My source had it running on a Samsung Nexus S. During my brief stay at the Marvell booth to ask questions, my source introduced himself as a representative assigned to help support Marvell at CES for any advanced questions. In its unreleased form, Chrome for Android is very plain. I was not permitted to take any shots of it, but there is really nothing a photo or screenshot could show you. The browser is very fast, even on the Nexus S, and is already well on its way to being everything you could expect from a proper build of Chrome. Switching between tabs is incredibly easy, and dismissing tabs when you are done with them really does happen with a flick. After seeing this brief demonstration it was clear that this browser is going to be worth the wait.

My HTC Incredible keeps giving me a low on space notification, but I've deleted pretty much everything I can and it won't go away. Dialer Storage for some reason is getting huge and is at 99mb, but I have no idea why. Any way to fix this?

That is easily one of the most annoying issues ever, and it has to do with the way HTC partitioned the drive.

Do you have a lot of text messages? It doesn't completely fix the issue but it helped a ton for me. There was also an update for the Inc that released sometime in Nov that supposedly fixed the issue as well (I needed to delete my texts before I could dl/install the tiny 8mb update).

Papercuts

That is easily one of the most annoying issues ever, and it has to do with the way HTC partitioned the drive.

Do you have a lot of text messages? It doesn't completely fix the issue but it helped a ton for me. There was also an update for the Inc that released sometime in Nov that supposedly fixed the issue as well (I needed to delete my texts before I could dl/install the tiny 8mb update).

I have around 200, which I don't think is much. The phone has actually wiped out all of my texts in the last month when it told me I was low on space last time.

It says I have 4.94gb/6.60gb left on phone storage, 652mb/748mb on phone memory, and 1.34gb/1.86gb on the SD card. I'd like to keep the texts if possible but I'm not sure how else to fix it.

I have around 200, which I don't think is much. The phone has actually wiped out all of my texts in the last month when it told me I was low on space last time.

It says I have 4.94gb/6.60gb left on phone storage, 652mb/748mb on phone memory, and 1.34gb/1.86gb on the SD card. I'd like to keep the texts if possible but I'm not sure how else to fix it.

Yeah I think I had almost 2000 haha. Besides deleting unnecessary apps, did you try clearing the cache/data in your apps too? Not sure if you should do that for contact storage, but I had to do it constantly for email/dolphin/reddit/handful of other apps just to remove the error.

Make sure you try to dl that update as well.

Circle T

My coworker has screen burn in on his Droid Charge. Is there anything he can do?

I noticed that a couple times with my Captivate. At times, when looking at pictures or video, you could see a faint ghost of the clock/battery/data in the upper corner. I would just full-screen a pure white image in the gallery, and let it sit for a few minutes at full blast brightness. Seemed to work the screen back to normal pretty well. Might give that a shot.

Sky Chief

I noticed that a couple times with my Captivate. At times, when looking at pictures or video, you could see a faint ghost of the clock/battery/data in the upper corner. I would just full-screen a pure white image in the gallery, and let it sit for a few minutes at full blast brightness. Seemed to work the screen back to normal pretty well. Might give that a shot.

Thanks

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So there is a live interview on the Verge right now with Matias Duerte talking about new efforts to make third party applications to follow an ICS style guide.

gcubed

So there is a live interview on the Verge right now with Matias Duerte talking about new efforts to make third party applications to follow an ICS style guide.

good?

two things i did notice, no phone has ICS yet that isn't a nexus, most are a good ways out, and almost no phones at CES had ICS. I wonder why this is.

a third thing i guess. Very little has been updated for ICS (there is no reason a video app doesnt run full screen when streaming), which goes back to the above. They need to get it pushed out to more devices.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
good?

two things i did notice, no phone has ICS yet that isn't a nexus, most are a good ways out, and almost no phones at CES had ICS. I wonder why this is.

a third thing i guess. Very little has been updated for ICS, which goes back to the above. They need to get it pushed out to more devices.

Just started watching. There seems to be a real effort into making a unified style guide for developers.

EDIT: Josh is an asshole as always though.

SimleuqiR

This is what CoCo was talking about:

Up vs. Back

navigation_up_vs_back_gmail.png

Can't remember if it was in this thread or the Tuna one.

Edit:

Wooo look at what we have here:

multipane_expand.png

A new Google Talk icon!! Wonder if they are updating the app soon.

I also noticed that the Google Voice icon on the page tab is very similar to this new Talk one. Check it out now if you haven't noticed it yet.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Fucking finally. I am so sick of ugly, hideous, and inconsistent apps.

The Google Talk icon is already out on the most recent GApps pack.

Papercuts

Yeah I think I had almost 2000 haha. Besides deleting unnecessary apps, did you try clearing the cache/data in your apps too? Not sure if you should do that for contact storage, but I had to do it constantly for email/dolphin/reddit/handful of other apps just to remove the error.

Make sure you try to dl that update as well.

Yeah, I've been clearing cache and deleting apps, still won't go away. Dialer Storage keeps growing and is 100mb right now, lol.

Is there a way to manually get the update? I don't see why I wouldn't have it but I'll try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom