• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
Is there anyway to turn the volume of the ringtones and SPECIALLY the notifications alerts up to something you can hear? Is goddamn ridiculous how soft the alerts are in these phones i have miss some of the SMS's people sends me until very late when i check my phone.

I have a Galaxy Gio BTW.

jayb

Maybe this is just the gingerbread version of the google music app, but when horizontal, why does the 3D album carousal only show up in the Recent tab? In the Album, Artists, Playlists, & Genre tabs it shows just a two row flat list of the album images. Then in the Songs tab, it shows a third view of just a text list.

WTF! Am I missing a setting someplace to make the views consistent?

Pros:
  • Install new apps (like Titanium Backup).
  • Remove previously uninstallable Samsung or carrier apps.
  • Get rid of TouchWiz by installing a new ROM.

Cons:

That all seems good then.

Where can I find a reliable guide to root my phone and install a new ROM, people seem to like CyanogenMod?

kehs

Banned
migrating_ios_dialers.png

Tiny screen is tiny.

Patriots7

IMO, the ICS standard UI elements are by far the most attractive
I've got to agree. Going through the entire Android Design page made me really appreciate the effort Google has gone through in terms of creating an elegant, unified experience. It's a lot more attractive than at first glance.

So phones with hardware menu keys, the key still is functional in 4.0. Never knew that.

So they are just going to tease us with ICS on their XOOMs, but we can't have it..

Yup, so i decided to sell my Xoom, already posted up. The TP getting ICS before a google experience tablet that Google controls the updates to was unacceptable.

If Google releases an actual Nexus tablet, I may grab one, but if not i'll probably get that newest Transformer Prime when it releases.

xda-forums.com. What version do you have?

Samsung Galaxy S2

Model Number: GT-I9100T
Android version: 2.3.3
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.DVKF4

I did some googling and found I could use SuperOneClick and it seems to root almost all Android phones, still googling around for more information though.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So guys, what's the benefit of rooting my phone? I'd prefer to keep the stock OS since it works fine, and currently i am happy with what it offers, but always open to options if its of true benefit. Galaxy S2 Epic here

For some reason I thought that tethering and mobile hotspot would require apps and possibly rooting. A quick google search to figure out how to do this and the second result was a link to google support explaining where in the settings the options to set both tethering and hotspot could be found. Tried both out and worked without problems. Am I missing some sort of catch? I'm pretty sure I've read posts in the past talking about what needs to be done to use this functionality.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
For some reason I thought that tethering and mobile hotspot would require apps and possibly rooting. A quick google search to figure out how to do this and the second result was a link to google support explaining where in the settings the options to set both tethering and hotspot could be found. Tried both out and worked without problems. Am I missing some sort of catch? I'm pretty sure I've read posts in the past talking about what needs to be done to use this functionality.

T-Mobile lets you do this. Very handy.

I think you'll find a lot of people use modded official roms due to TouchWiz actually not being that bad. I was using a modded official rom most of the time. Will be moving to CM9 when it gets a bit more stable due to the fact Samsung is still pushing ahead with TouchWiz and has uglified the new UI with it.

Yeah I actually really like touchwiz at the moment. But like you said ICS touchwiz looks just like ginger bread and I think ICS looks fantastic so I guess I wont be using touchwiz for much longer.

So guys, what's the benefit of rooting my phone? I'd prefer to keep the stock OS since it works fine, and currently i am happy with what it offers, but always open to options if its of true benefit. Galaxy S2 Epic here

Pros:
  • Install new apps (like Titanium Backup).
  • Remove previously uninstallable Samsung or carrier apps.
  • Get rid of TouchWiz by installing a new ROM.

Cons:
  • Voids warranty?

I haven't done it myself yet.

If he knows how to root, he should be able to know how to unroot.

well, there is a flash counter on the GSII

even if you keep TouchWiz, you can make backups of all of your data, use Wifi Tethering without an extra fee, remove carrier apps and more !

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
:(

So UltraViolet does not work with rooted phones? Just bought Moneyball and thats what my googling skills has told me.

Al-ibn Kermit

Best current Android phone on Sprint? (Fuck Verizon and the Nexus situation). My corporate discount is tempting me to switch from T-Mobile...

Right now I would say the Galaxy S2. The photon is also a very good phone with some advantages in reception and battery life. It has a slightly smaller screen and slightly slower processor but I would actually recommend it if the actual phone part of a smart phone is the most important thing for you (I actually have a GS2).

Other than that, there's the Galaxy Nexus coming out in about 6 months. Between now and then, I don't think there's anything actually.

Is EasyTether safe?

Are you asking if the app itself is safe for your phone in terms of stability/viruses or if carriers can tell you're using it? The app itself works very well but I think I heard that carriers can tell if you're using it. Some carriers actually block your phone from being able to download those apps from the Android market place, but my carrier Sprint hasn't done that apparently. In that case you would have to get it from a third party app store like the Amazon app store.

Right now I have Sprint and I got EasyTether from the Amazon app store since it was half the price. It works very well and so far I have not gotten a call and I would usually use it for up to a few gigs a week of tethering (more than 5, less than 10 gigs). Actually before I got Sprint, I asked a store rep about tethering and they actually showed me the tethering apps on the market place. Employees at AT&T and Verizon stores just told me there was a separate plan that I would have to buy so different carriers seem to have different policies.

If you have a data cap, then carriers probably won't care what device you use it on. If you're on unlimited, then just try to be reasonable and moderate your usage. Sprint hasn't bugged me about it yet but they do have the right to kick you and charge you the termination fee if you're abusing it.

ana

So many good phones coming out this year..

Only if I could have a phone with Galaxy Notes screen size, with Sony Xperia S camera, quad core processor, battery from the Motorola RAZR maxx and enough memory...

But you can only dream...

Is EasyTether safe?

No tethering is safe on AT&T, AFAIK.

I've tethered my Touchpad and laptop on Verizon for only light usage. From what I gather, Big Red will leave you alone as long as you don't draw attention to yourself. So don't torrent 20GB of data over the cell network and you'll be fine.

Sprint and T-Mobile openly encourage tethering on their underutilized networks, though Sprint recently got the iPhone and I hear their network's getting crushed in population centers lately.

Al-ibn Kermit

Sprint and T-Mobile openly encourage tethering on their underutilized networks, though Sprint recently got the iPhone and I hear their network's getting crushed in population centers lately.

They seemed to have fixed that, their 3G speeds are actually faster right now than before the iphone came out.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Switched from the original Stock ICS Beta on my Desire (Bravo) to the CM9 Beta. Much smoother and stabler. I can't bring myself to go back to GB anymore.

jey_16

Banned
Switched from the original Stock ICS Beta on my Desire (Bravo) to the CM9 Beta. Much smoother and stabler. I can't bring myself to go back to GB anymore.

I feel the same way....I flashed cm9 on my galaxy s2 and GB looks like something out of the nineties compared to ICS. I'm willing to sacrifice video recording and YouTube just to stay on it

No tethering is safe on AT&T, AFAIK.

I've tethered my Touchpad and laptop on Verizon for only light usage. From what I gather, Big Red will leave you alone as long as you don't draw attention to yourself. So don't torrent 20GB of data over the cell network and you'll be fine.

openly encourage?!?! they've both had tethering apps blocked on the Android Market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom