• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreaver

My current plan ends in about 3 months. I have the possibility of getting a new phone for free (or a small price) when I extend my plan. I'm thinking about either a iPhone 4S, Samsung Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S2 or waiting for the Galaxy S3.

Right now I own an HTC Desire. Great phone, except the battery life + intern memory...
How big would the chance be that Samsung revealed/release date at the Galaxy S3 at Mobile World Congress next month? Pretty good chance yeah?

Cruceh

Banned
Has Titanium Backup ever been on sale? I flash often enough that I am already annoyed, but I dont want to spend almost $7 on it. Has it ever been $5 or below?

Lesiroth

This sounds like it is written by someone who has no idea about developing for Android.

Is there any grain of truth in that Plan B other manufacturers are preparing? I don't really think there is anything to it, seeing as Motorola hasn't really changed their ways. Or is it too early to see any effect?

I use my phone a lot in the car, as a navigator with Google navigation and as a music player with the CM7 stock app. The problem is that I can't switch between them two easily; if I have the navigation app in focus I can't change songs, and if I have the music app in focus I can't see the map, only hear the directions. Basically, what I want is a full screen navigator with three buttons for music control in one corner (Forward, Backwards, Pause/Play). Is there any way to do this except making my own app?

NH Apache

Banned
I use my phone a lot in the car, as a navigator with Google navigation and as a music player with the CM7 stock app. The problem is that I can't switch between them two easily; if I have the navigation app in focus I can't change songs, and if I have the music app in focus I can't see the map, only hear the directions. Basically, what I want is a full screen navigator with three buttons for music control in one corner (Forward, Backwards, Pause/Play). Is there any way to do this except making my own app?

Some players allow you to skip tracks from the notification bar.... but I haven't seen anything that would allow you to do it natively in the navigation app.

Angst

Don't think there's a way to have two apps in focus at once. Perhaps use a music player that has play controls in the notifications drop-down menu? (if there is one that does that)

Edit: What NH Apache said

gcubed

Don't think there's a way to have two apps in focus at once. Perhaps use a music player that has play controls in the notifications drop-down menu? (if there is one that does that)

Edit: What NH Apache said

Google Music
In ICS

My current plan ends in about 3 months. I have the possibility of getting a new phone for free (or a small price) when I extend my plan. I'm thinking about either a iPhone 4S, Samsung Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S2 or waiting for the Galaxy S3.

Right now I own an HTC Desire. Great phone, except the battery life + intern memory...
How big would the chance be that Samsung revealed/release date at the Galaxy S3 at Mobile World Congress next month? Pretty good chance yeah?

get the iPhone

SimleuqiR

Nexus Phone, Nexus Tablet...Nextis TV

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...n-talks-to-collaborate-on-new-tv-service.html

Google Inc. (GOOG) is considering giving LG Electronics Inc. (066570) first access to the next version of its Google TV software so the Korean company can build a compatible set, according to two people with knowledge of the project.

The LG TV set would provide an early look at the new software so other manufacturers can develop their own products using the program.
LG, the world’s third-largest TV maker, unveiled a set featuring Google software at this week’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. LG plans to sell a 55-inch, wafer-thin TV using organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, technology and motion-sensing software.

Don't think I could keep up with a Nexus TV schedule release. I don't buy TVs that often.

SimleuqiR

no, i was truly hoping for a nexus TV box, not actual TV.

That Vizio box with Google TV from CES isn't half bad. I own a Mac-mini (2011) and use it as my main HTPC. I don't think I will be getting other media box any time soon. Just bought a new TV too. So that's out of the question.

Unless the next Sony and/or MS gaming consoles have a Google TV app I will probably not experience it for years to come.

Sky Chief

My coworker wants to buy a 10" tablet for his daughter but doesn't want to spend too much money. I saw that the Lenovo IdeaPad K1 is $319 at Best Buy and an Asus Transformer can be had on Amazon for $395. What tablet would you recommend? Are there any good deals going on right now? I thought that the Transformer was being dropped to $300 because the Prime is coming out.

gcubed

That Vizio box with Google TV from CES isn't half bad. I own a Mac-mini (2011) and use it as my main HTPC. I don't think I will be getting other media box any time soon. Just bought a new TV too. So that's out of the question.

Unless the next Sony and/or MS gaming consoles have a Google TV app I will probably not experience it for years to come.

yeah i'm getting one, i've been holding off until the move to ARM so its here, i was just hoping for some kind of "nexus" one, but oh well. I need a new TV but LG isn't a Panasonic VT50

killakiz

My coworker wants to buy a 10" tablet for his daughter but doesn't want to spend too much money. I saw that the Lenovo IdeaPad K1 is $319 at Best Buy and an Asus Transformer can be had on Amazon for $395. What tablet would you recommend? Are there any good deals going on right now? I thought that the Transformer was being dropped to $300 because the Prime is coming out.

How old is his daughter? He should look into the $130 ICS MIPS tablets.

Elaborate your comment, please.

if you're considering an iPhone, get the iPhone, don't get something else. it'll save you the trouble of not liking what you got later.

She's 18 and about to go off to college. Also, her birthday is coming up in a week or so so it needs to be something that's available now.

normally, i'd be like "TRANSFORMER!", but it's the 32GB Ideapad K1 for $319 vs a 16GB Transformer, and all other specs are around the same...

Sky Chief

normally, i'd be like "TRANSFORMER!", but it's the 32GB Ideapad K1 for $319 vs a 16GB Transformer, and all other specs are around the same...

OK, so you say go with the Ideapad? I thought that they were slashing the price of the original Transformer because the Prime is coming out. Has that happened?

Is there any grain of truth in that Plan B other manufacturers are preparing? I don't really think there is anything to it, seeing as Motorola hasn't really changed their ways. Or is it too early to see any effect?
Well firstly it's just stated as a fact that Google have alienated the other companies by buying Motorola with no supporting evidence. I don't see how this partnership makes Android any less interesting for Samsung, HTC etc. It's always been the case that these third parties will be weighing up their options all the time, for example most of them also have Windows phone models out there too. "Plan A" and "Plan B" are stupid reductive terms to use here. For one Samsung with Android have become the world's largest smart phone manufacturer, and it's in neither parties interest to do anything that would threaten that at the moment.

I still don't believe that Google acquiring Motorola was about much more than patents, they playing the long game, wanting Android to become the de facto operating system of the next few decades (which it seems on course for). The manufacturing side doesn't strike me as a necessary part of Google's game.

In any case that's not really the point I was making, the writer here seems to imply that creating Android apps for different devices exponentially increases the workload. It simply isn't true. It isn't easy to develop for multiple screen resolutions and inputs, but it's not that difficult.

Android isn't the new iOS, it's the new Windows, and in my opinion it's here to stay.

Lesiroth

Well firstly it's just stated as a fact that Google have alienated the other companies by buying Motorola with no supporting evidence. I don't see how this partnership makes Android any less interesting for Samsung, HTC etc. It's always been the case that these third parties will be weighing up their options all the time, for example most of them also have Windows phone models out there too. "Plan A" and "Plan B" are stupid reductive terms to use here. For one Samsung with Android have become the world's largest smart phone manufacturer, and it's in neither parties interest to do anything that would threaten that at the moment.

I still don't believe that Google acquiring Motorola was about much more than patents, they playing the long game, wanting Android to become the de facto operating system of the next few decades (which it seems on course for). The manufacturing side doesn't strike me as a necessary part of Google's game.

In any case that's not really the point I was making, the writer here seems to imply that creating Android apps for different devices exponentially increases the workload. It simply isn't true. It isn't easy to develop for multiple screen resolutions and inputs, but it's not that difficult.

Android isn't the new iOS, it's the new Windows, and in my opinion it's here to stay.

Yep, it's even more true when you consider the Nexus relationship between Google and Samsung. HTC/Sony need to step their game up, I'm hoping one of them gets the next Nexus.

If you like the Desire and you're still happy with the Android OS, I'd say get the GS2 or wait until the GS3. Not sure when they'll release the latter in the US though seeing as how you guys only recently got the GS2.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Man, the Xperia Ion looks amazing. I let Engadget sour me on it with its impressions that it wasn't smooth, and that it had no MicroSD slot, but they were apparently wrong on both fronts.

tfur

I believe it is also going to be a lot about R&D, as well as patents.

It's even more than the new Windows. It's popularity and the fact that it is open sourced is bound to cause a few major technology disruptions.

MrBig

It's even more than the new Windows. It's popularity and the fact that it is open sourced is bound to cause a few major technology disruptions.

Please tell me you're joking. Or are only referring to your average content consumer. Android is great and all, and I love using my tablet for the things that I use it for, but I do not see it ever replacing a content-creating OS like Windows. It's great as its own thing though, don't get me wrong.

tfur

Please tell me you're joking. Or are only referring to your average content consumer. Android is great and all, and I love using my tablet for the things that I use it for, but I do not see it ever replacing a content-creating OS like Windows.

I was not commenting specifically to content creation, and in any case it all depends on how you define content creation.

Content creation is a small part of consumer computing, and in regards to phone usage/computing, its very small.

The fact is, few people NEED windows to do their day to day computing interfacing. The world is not clamoring to buy another Windows license while other solutions are beginning to appear. Cloud computing and browser computing do not really care about the OS (
even though behind the scenes Linux servers serve up your iTunes or Google docs
). Your TV doesn't really care either, nor your appliance or DVR.

Please tell me you're joking. Or are only referring to your average content consumer. Android is great and all, and I love using my tablet for the things that I use it for, but I do not see it ever replacing a content-creating OS like Windows. It's great as its own thing though, don't get me wrong.
Not all content creation is created equally. We may still a way from using Android or web apps to edit motion pictures, do 3 modelling or develop games on. However you can already type a novel, create a spreadsheet or presentation, draw a 2d image, balance a photo fairly well. This is also the sector where almost all of innovation is happening now. It seems extremely short-sighted to me that you can never imagine using a different device than a traditional PC for your content creation.

The fact that you call Windows a "content-creating OS" almost signifies the end of it's dominance by relegating it to a niche (it's also a gaming OS for now). Thankfully Microsoft realize that too and are responding.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not all content creation is created equally. We may still a way from using Android or web apps to edit motion pictures, do 3 modelling or develop games on. However you can already type a novel, create a spreadsheet or presentation, draw a 2d image, balance a photo fairly well. This is also the sector where almost all of innovation is happening now. It seems extremely short-sighted to me that you can never imagine using a different device than a traditional PC for your content creation.

The fact that you call Windows a "content-creating OS" almost signifies the end of it's dominance by relegating it to a niche (it's also a gaming OS for now). Thankfully Microsoft realize that too and are responding.
It's the defacto (my android phone auto-corrected that to defective lol) business OS. That results in a lot of people needing it at home, and guarantees that millions are familiar with it.

ScOULaris

Has Google made any recent statements about restarting the roll-out of ICS for the Nexus S? They halted it almost a month ago, so I expected to have heard more about their progress fixing the battery drain issue and starting the OTA update by now.

Dreaver

If you like the Desire and you're still happy with the Android OS, I'd say get the GS2 or wait until the GS3. Not sure when they'll release the latter in the US though seeing as how you guys only recently got the GS2.

Yeah I love my Desire. It's a great phone except for the two cons and random bugs (apps crashing, interface acting weird, all my messages disappearing) but it's probably just my phone (extremely low on memory, haven't updated a lot of apps, Android 2.2 etc).
I suppose new(er) Android versions and Phones are way more stable.

I think I will wait a few more weeks until MWC '12. I saw the Galaxy S2 was announced at MWC '11 (February) and released about a month later here (In may, I live in the Netherlands). If nothing gets announced (or release in a short time period) I think I'll go for a Galaxy Nexus.

MrBig

I guess I didn't expand enough on what I said here. I have expressed thoughts nearly identical to yours on xda and to some extent in the w8 thread here on gaf.
with the scope that android is currently at though, users (or at me) are put in a box with android.
the content consumption niche is much much smaller than the business world

Do you guys with Google TV think it's worth getting if you don't have cable? Basically just for web content, and possibly reading media off a hard drive (not sure how well it does that).

Do you guys with Google TV think it's worth getting if you don't have cable? Basically just for web content, and possibly reading media off a hard drive (not sure how well it does that).

I got a Logitech Revue for Christmas and its great. I love having an always-on, always connected to my media device. Go cheap and get a Revue for 79/89 bucks and try it out.

OK, so you say go with the Ideapad? I thought that they were slashing the price of the original Transformer because the Prime is coming out. Has that happened?
well, the price has been fluctuating, but still... 32GB vs 16GB, almost identical specs... though the Transformer has a nicer screen... and the optional KB attachment...

Yep, it's even more true when you consider the Nexus relationship between Google and Samsung. HTC/Sony need to step their game up, I'm hoping one of them gets the next Nexus.

i don't... not as long as HTC/Sony keep using lower performance parts...

Which can be circumvented as well. I have my ATT S2 rooted and install ROMs all the time with no changes to the flash counter.

Yup theres a proper way to install rom without triggering the counter.
just install rom zip with clockworkmod and it wont trigger the counter at all.

I don't think there's any reason not to root the GS2.

so much advantage flashing custom rom over stock. Removed bloatware, makes the unit faster with better battery life.

Al-ibn Kermit

I think the transformer has always been $400 so that means there wasn't a price drop yet. I would expect the price drop to come once the transformer prime can actually meets their supply demands enough to find them on store shelves (its like constantly sold out online right now).

It might be worth to wait but I wouldn't expect the original transformer to fall much lower than the current ideapad price. If your friend doesn't want a keyboard dock then they should just get the lenovo tablet imo.

Sky Chief

I think the transformer has always been $400 so that means there wasn't a price drop yet. I would expect the price drop to come once the transformer prime can actually meets their supply demands enough to find them on store shelves (its like constantly sold out online right now).

It might be worth to wait but I wouldn't expect the original transformer to fall much lower than the current ideapad price. If your friend doesn't want a keyboard dock then they should just get the lenovo tablet imo.

Great, he needs to get this ASAP so I told him to go with the Lenovo. Thanks for the input.

if you're considering an iPhone, get the iPhone, don't get something else. it'll save you the trouble of not liking what you got later.

Seriously I've called you out on this before. It's not because I think you are a fanboy of either persuasion but it's lazyness of the highest order. Just because people like the idea of something doesn't mean that it is always right for them.

As someone who has spent a good chunk of the last 5 years of my life working in mobile the most crucial lesson I've learned is that you really need to question properly to separate what people want from what they actually need.

I've served people who have come in interested in buying a smartphone but having thoroughly questioned them they'd be better off with a feature phone. Or people who've come in interested in an android handset where blackberry would be a better option. Yes Blackberry! Or people who've been interested in a top end handset like the iPhone or Galaxy S2 when it is overkill for their needs.

Thus when you make statements like this it frustrates me because poor questioning very often leads to poor decisions and I see this far too often in all walks of life. Not questioning needs is nearly as bad as mis-informing.

If you are considering an iDevice the first question you should be asking yourself is what your use case is. Is it mostly web? Is it e-mail? Do you use Google products (like Gmail) regularly? Is gaming a big motivator? Do you use iTunes or have an iPod? What is your budget? Will the phone be used for leisure and or/business? I mean there are a ton more questions you could ask which could lead you down all types of options.

So please stop with the 'If you are thinking of an iDevice, get the iDevice' lark. It may well be an iPhone is the right device. But you really can't make the call unless you know the facts. Anything else is just lazyness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom