• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so I have a bit of a problem and I'm not sure how to fix it. This morning, my phone (Nexus S) started to have these pop ups that say either "Connection to the Internet has been Restored" or "Connection to the Internet has been Lost". I've never gotten either one of these before today, and it's really starting to piss me off because every time I turn my phone on out of sleep mode, I get the connection has been restored message, and it stays in the middle of my screen for some 5+ seconds. I've tried turning off the phone and powering it back on, but it didn't change anything. Anyone with experience on how to fix this? Couldn't find anything on Google.

Also, I'm pretty sure that my connection isn't actually being lost.

Alright, so I have a bit of a problem and I'm not sure how to fix it. This morning, my phone (Nexus S) started to have these pop ups that say either "Connection to the Internet has been Restored" or "Connection to the Internet has been Lost". I've never gotten either one of these before today, and it's really starting to piss me off because every time I turn my phone on out of sleep mode, I get the connection has been restored message, and it stays in the middle of my screen for some 5+ seconds. I've tried turning off the phone and powering it back on, but it didn't change anything. Anyone with experience on how to fix this? Couldn't find anything on Google.

Also, I'm pretty sure that my connection isn't being lost.

Install any new apps recently?

Also, I'm pretty sure that my connection isn't actually being lost.

Are you on ICS? Try switching data off completely (airplane mode) and then restoring it. Or try a hard reboot (with the phone switched on pull the battery rather than switching it on/off in a menu). You could also try searching and selecting your mobile network manually to ensure you are properly registered on the network you use. Failing that you could restore to factory settings but that is the last option you would choose. It could also be an issue with the cell if it's happening in a particular location and nothing to do with your phone.

Install any new apps recently?
Nope, haven't installed anything new in a while.

Are you on ICS? Try switching data off completely (airplane mode) and then restoring it. Or try a hard reboot (with the phone switched on pull the battery rather than switching it on/off in a menu). You could also try searching and selecting your mobile network manually to ensure you are properly registered on the network you use. Failing that you could restore to factory settings but that is the last option you would choose. It could also be an issue with the cell if it's happening in a particular location and nothing to do with your phone.
Running 2.3.4. Neither of the suggestions seem to have worked, but thanks anyways. I guess I'll give it a few days and see if it fixes itself, if not I'll have to go with the factory reset option.

JCX

I recently factory reset my phone because I was having issues with it. I thought I could just load the apps saved to the SD card, but they don't show up now. How do I access them?

Oozer3993

ICS is so awesome one the Xoom. The Screenshot function works too :).

DTBlk.png

Well what do you know. Awesome.

Which can be circumvented as well. I have my ATT S2 rooted and install ROMs all the time with no changes to the flash counter.
just pointing out that it's not as simple as previously stated... there are things to consider!

Seriously I've called you out on this before. It's not because I think you are a fanboy of either persuasion but it's lazyness of the highest order. Just because people like the idea of something doesn't mean that it is always right for them.

As someone who has spent a good chunk of the last 5 years of my life working in mobile the most crucial lesson I've learned is that you really need to question properly to separate what people want from what they actually need.

I've served people who have come in interested in buying a smartphone but having thoroughly questioned them they'd be better off with a feature phone. Or people who've come in interested in an android handset where blackberry would be a better option. Yes Blackberry! Or people who've been interested in a top end handset like the iPhone or Galaxy S2 when it is overkill for their needs.

Thus when you make statements like this it frustrates me because poor questioning very often leads to poor decisions and I see this far too often in all walks of life. Not questioning needs is nearly as bad as mis-informing.

If you are considering an iDevice the first question you should be asking yourself is what your use case is. Is it mostly web? Is it e-mail? Do you use Google products (like Gmail) regularly? Is gaming a big motivator? Do you use iTunes or have an iPod? What is your budget? Will the phone be used for leisure and or/business? I mean there are a ton more questions you could ask which could lead you down all types of options.

So please stop with the 'If you are thinking of an iDevice, get the iDevice' lark. It may well be an iPhone is the right device. But you really can't make the call unless you know the facts. Anything else is just lazyness.

c'mon son!

if someone is considering an iPhone or something else, 99% of the time, the iPhone is the best choice for them.

Joe

Where the heck can I upload pictures from android to the web and get a direct http link? Essentially imgur for android (imgur mobile refuses to work for me).

Edit nvm got imgur to work

rozay

Banned
I have to say, the visual style of stock ICS on a tablet looks great to me and nowhere near as gaudy and geeky as honeycomb did. If the performance increases are as strong as some youtube videos have seemed to show in comparison to 3.2, I may finally be able to recommend android tablets as equal or better choices than ipads.

Kerrinck

Just got myself an unlocked galaxy S2 and loving it so far.
Have a couple of questions though.
Since it is an At&t phone, it came with some pre-installed programs that I have no use for. Is there any way to delete them? It does not even let me delete the facebook app.
Also, everytime I go see the running apps, there are at least 10 of them open, some I have never even used like books, social and media hub. Is there any way to stop them permanently? I close them but a couple of minutes later they reappear.

longdi

Banned
Hay guys, i just test drove the TF Prime, 5 cores on ICS 4.0.1 and why does it still feels laggy? I am so disappointed, the guy here who was saying ICS4 is not really smoother than GSII with TW4.0 is correct.

Ipad3 will kill ICS4 tablets yet again.

gcubed

TF101'ers will get it before Motorola. I'm betting money on it.

Lets just say that if the TF101 is still on schedule for February you are wrong :)

Hay guys, i just test drove the TF Prime, 5 cores on ICS 4.0.1 and why does it still feels laggy? I am so disappointed, the guy here who was saying ICS4 is not really smoother than GSII with TW4.0 is correct.

4.0.1 has lots of issues. 4.0.3 is a huge difference, which is why 4.0.3 is supposed to be the minimum roll out

kinggroin

Banned

You're getting ahead of yourself (though, iPad 3 will probably "kill" yet again). ICS 4.0.1 is like HC 3.0 in that its very buggy, very beta.

I'm going to move the goal posts and say to try a 4.0.3 setup first before judging.

Ashhong

Just got myself an unlocked galaxy S2 and loving it so far.
Have a couple of questions though.
Since it is an At&t phone, it came with some pre-installed programs that I have no use for. Is there any way to delete them? It does not even let me delete the facebook app.
Also, everytime I go see the running apps, there are at least 10 of them open, some I have never even used like books, social and media hub. Is there any way to stop them permanently? I close them but a couple of minutes later they reappear.

You need to root it and either install a custom ROM to completely get rid of them or use Titanium Backup to force removal. Custom ROMs are the way to go, just make sure you follow the proper steps to rooting so that you do not increase the flash counter. I recommend the ICScrewed ROM. It's great.

Is my understanding correct that the Galaxy S2 has better custom rom support than the Skyrocket?

I'm long overdue for an upgrade, and ATT is offering me the S2 for $150.

Yes. I was in the same position until I saw how bare the Skyrocket forums on XDA was. Go for the S2. Also consider a refurb S2. Got it from ATT.com as an upgrade for 10$ and it is literally in perfect condition. Like brand new.

jokkir

You need to root it and either install a custom ROM to completely get rid of them or use Titanium Backup to force removal. Custom ROMs are the way to go, just make sure you follow the proper steps to rooting so that you do not increase the flash counter. I recommend the ICScrewed ROM. It's great.

How many times can you flash before the phone is borked? And where can I get my current count?

I flashed my Nexus S so many times the past two months >__>

Ashhong

Eh? I have never heard of a phone being borked from flashing. The counter is more for Samsung to know if you fucked with the phone or not.

I do not believe there is any other phone with a counter but for my S2 it shows when you hold the volume up+down and plug in a USB cable.

jokkir

Eh? I have never heard of a phone being borked from flashing. The counter is more for Samsung to know if you fucked with the phone or not.

I do not believe there is any other phone with a counter but for my S2 it shows when you hold the volume up+down and plug in a USB cable.

Ahhh, I thought you were implying that if you flashed too many times, it'll just stop working. Kinda like how SD cards have a certain amount of read/write cycles before they stop working.

Ashhong

Ahhh, I thought you were implying that if you flashed too many times, it'll just stop working. Kinda like how SD cards have a certain amount of read/write cycles before they stop working.

SD cards have a number of cycles?! Fuuuuu. But no, its just a counter for Samsung. However, I do remember it being possible for the nand to get messed up in my HD2 over time/flashing. A complete reset of the phone (wiping CWM, etc etc) and starting over fixed that though.

Oozer3993

I have to say, the visual style of stock ICS on a tablet looks great to me and nowhere near as gaudy and geeky as honeycomb did. If the performance increases are as strong as some youtube videos have seemed to show in comparison to 3.2, I may finally be able to recommend android tablets as equal or better choices than ipads.

My first thought upon unlocking my Xoom after flashing ICS was "Wow, this looks so much better." I liked the look of Honeycomb, but ICS seems like a grownup looking OS comparatively. Web browsing is definitely faster than 3.2, and overall performance seemed to get a bump too. Even battery life seemed improved.

kehs

Banned

The internal memory does have a limit for flashing btw(just like sd cards have a limit). It's somewhere in the thousands though, so most people shouldn't be too worried about it.

For some reason my galaxy s now supports apps that are over 30mb in size. This makes me happy.

So, LG and Sony have both shown us their hd screen android monsters, when are Samsung gonna show us the Galaxy S 3? I'm pretty sure is gonna be a Nexus with better camera and sd slot but still...

For some reason my galaxy s now supports apps that are over 30mb in size. This makes me happy.

So, LG and Sony have both shown us their hd screen android monsters, when are Samsung gonna show us the Galaxy S 3? I'm pretty sure is gonna be a Nexus with better camera and sd slot but still...

Mobile World Congress is next month.

rozay

Banned

It'll be announced at MWC next month most likely. Expect to see it on sale may-juneish.

the OG AT&T version of GS2 will have more dev support than the skyrocket because its almost identical to the international version, which is till now THE best android phone available.

Its pretty much impossible to brick a phone, unless you don't follow direction or trip on the usb cable while flashing. Also doing something stupid flashing rom with a bootloader!! Even if you brick your phone, you can unbrick it with a USB jig.

once you root and put clockworkmod, you don't even need a computer to flash custom rom. I was flashing roms daily when i had the GS2.

DominoKid

just got a Rezound (upgrading from a Droid 1).

i thought i'd be able to remember what apps i liked on my old phone but i'm drawing a blank.

so what apps should i get?

Agentnibs

Funny, neogaf has always worked just fine on my honeycomb transformer. Anyhhoo just bought a skyrocketed yesterday and holy crap is this thing fast. Had a g2x before but i dropped it and shatterd the screen so i had to buy something. I was planning on waiting but this will do haha! I got it in white btw

Sanic

I have a couple of random issues with my Nexus S running MIUI that i'm hoping someone can help me with.

For battery ussage, Cell Standby is number one with 28% usage, with Android OS being second with 17%. Those are both way higher than they should be, right?

Secondly, I've noticed over the past two or so weeks that my phone has become less...stable, basically. It almost feels like a memory leak, but phone restarts don't seem to help. Essentially, as time goes on the phone will take longer to open/close apps, with apps being flushed from memory almost immediately. Opera, for example, almost always quits out if I end up having more than a tab or two open, and this wasn't always the case. Lock ups are far more frequent as well. I haven't installed any new apps or otherwise done anything to the phone, so does anyone have any ideas?

tfur

Google Music question.

If you purchase a song/album, and click the "make available offline" button, where does it put the files. Can I grab that file and play it in other players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom