• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Google Music question.

If you purchase a song/album, and click the "make available offline" button, where does it put the files. Can I grab that file and play it in other players?

sdcard/data/com.music.google.com/

Nope, they aren't mp3 files.

Zzoram

Is there any way to remove the default installed apps like twitter in Android 2.3?

I hate having tons of icons/apps that I never use.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Hopefully someone can help

I have a Samsung Galaxy S (first model, EU) and recently swapped the screen (I threw it so hard there wasn't even any signal anymore except for sound). However now that the screen is swapped I noticed the battery going down real fast. Like it's 100% before I go to sleep, and when I wake up it's on 15% giving me low battery warnings, it's at idle the whole time with only 3g on and my alarm.

Anything I should check on the software side before I go check in on the hardware?

The Acer Iconia A200 just came out today. Anyone have any impressions on it? The 16GB is only $350, but it's running a Tegra 2 processor. It seems like a great deal, but alittle outdated already.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Does the ICS music player sort correctly by album now? I really hate gingerbread music player telling me I have 10 different albums insted of 1 with the same name because it only has different artists.

panda21

anyone tried the samsung touchwiz ICS versions? to me touchwiz 4 always felt super smooth, and cm9 doesnt feel quite right to me. i'm guessing samsung can better accelerate the launcher too, since they made the hardware.

i know people often say touchwiz sucks but i assume they must be people unfortunate enough to have had it on an older phone. on sgs2 it was fine.

anyone tried the samsung touchwiz ICS versions? to me touchwiz 4 always felt super smooth, and cm9 doesnt feel quite right to me. i'm guessing samsung can better accelerate the launcher too, since they made the hardware.

i know people often say touchwiz sucks but i assume they must be people unfortunate enough to have had it on an older phone. on sgs2 it was fine.

I haven't used it, but my friend has it installed on his GS2 and the launcher is way laggier than on my Galaxy Nexus. CM9 is very much alpha right now though isn't it? I'm sure they will get it smooth but it's early days getting the right kernel playing well with the drivers and roms. I'm sure it will be super smooth but it isn't going to happen overnight.

I'm running I9100XXLP2 right now. Touchwiz on ICS feels about as smooth as TW on 2.3, I did have a couple of crashes though.

But I do think that TW on ICS looks really ugly compared to CM9 so I'm probably swtiching back to CM9 again soon.

panda21

I haven't used it, but my friend has it installed on his GS2 and the launcher is way laggier than on my Galaxy Nexus. CM9 is very much alpha right now though isn't it? I'm sure they will get it smooth but it's early days getting the right kernel playing well with the drivers and roms. I'm sure it will be super smooth but it isn't going to happen overnight.

do you mean the samsung rom or CM9? i hope you're right because after seeing all the reviews saying how smooth the nexus feels, CM9 feels just like gingerbread but with nicer design. given that they are already using the samsung graphics drivers i cant imagine it will get much faster either, alpha or not.

I'm running I9100XXLP2 right now. Touchwiz on ICS feels about as smooth as TW on 2.3, I did have a couple of crashes though.

But I do think that TW on ICS looks really ugly compared to CM9 so I'm probably swtiching back to CM9 again soon.

yeah its a tough choice. there was a custom touchwiz with an ICS theme (checkrom I think) that was really nice, but no ICS version yet.

I'm probably going to try out the darkyrom version of LP2 later, bit of a pain setting up all the apps again though :S

sdcard/data/com.music.google.com/

Nope, they aren't mp3 files.

uhh...Yes they are. and they're actually located in sdcard/android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music

They just aren't named, they don't even have ID3 tags still attached. They have random number names that Google gives them, but they play just fine in my PowerAMP when I want to just shuffle.

probably going to switch to amazon for music though, don't like not being able to properly download my music yet.

Charles

do you mean the samsung rom or CM9? i hope you're right because after seeing all the reviews saying how smooth the nexus feels, CM9 feels just like gingerbread but with nicer design. given that they are already using the samsung graphics drivers i cant imagine it will get much faster either, alpha or not.

yeah its a tough choice. there was a custom touchwiz with an ICS theme (checkrom I think) that was really nice, but no ICS version yet.

I'm probably going to try out the darkyrom version of LP2 later, bit of a pain setting up all the apps again though :S

I've installed XXLP2 and downloaded an ICS Launcher off the market to replace touchwiz. It seems to work fine so far, the browser crashed a couple of times but the battery seems to be handling things pretty well so far.

So I ended up rooting my Samsung Galaxy S2, I tried putting CyanogenMod onto it but got some strange issues once it was on there, so I restored to the old ROM and just kept the phone rooted.

Thanks to everyone as few pages back who helped me out.

zbeeb

So I ended up rooting my Samsung Galaxy S2, I tried putting CyanogenMod onto it but got some strange issues once it was on there, so I restored to the old ROM and just kept the phone rooted.

Thanks to everyone as few pages back who helped me out.

Try checkrom v4. It's fast, completely stable and so many features

saunderez

Nova is where its at in terms of ICS Launchers. Trebuchet is nice, but it severely lacking features the GB launchers had. Nova is a lot more feature complete.

kehs

Banned
uhh...Yes they are. and they're actually located in sdcard/android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music

They just aren't named, they don't even have ID3 tags still attached. They have random number names that Google gives them, but they play just fine in my PowerAMP when I want to just shuffle.

probably going to switch to amazon for music though, don't like not being able to properly download my music yet.

I don't think that's right, I can't find any mp3s tied to the google music app.

Leaked and fully functional CyanogenMod 9 based off ICS 4.0.3 for Motorola Xoom makes it the tablet I always wanted. Its overclocked to 1.4Ghz and fully stable. It has smooth screen transitions, smooth web scrolling, no more keyboard input lag, and all around much more polished. Cyanogenmod's Trebuchet Launcher is so nice compared to to the default.

Just thought I'd share.

Does the ICS music player sort correctly by album now? I really hate gingerbread music player telling me I have 10 different albums insted of 1 with the same name because it only has different artists.

It wouldn't for me. I got so tired of that shit that I just bought PowerAmp.

Husker86

I don't think that's right, I can't find any mp3s tied to the google music app.

Screenshot_2012-01-15-19-37-41.png

Ashhong

Indeed, you have the most well supported one. I was going to recommend a ROM but we do not have the same phone. Nevermind! Stick with the flashing though, its great.

panda21

so I tried testing CM9 with nova, fixe LP2 with TouchWiz and the latest gingerbread MIUI on my SGS2, for science.

LP2 was laggy as a motherlagger and felt really buggy and bad.

in gingerbread MIUI the launcher was super smooth. I couldnt stay on it now I'm used to the ICS features though

CM9 feels ok mostly, except scrolling desktops in the launcher looks kind of jumpy and bad, even with a static wallpaper.

I kind of can't tell anymore if its an FPS thing, or that in CM9 the scrolling follows your finger movement input too literally, so it ends up having to jump around to follow it, whereas MIUI seems to smooth it out a bit. but it could just be that CM9 has a bad framerate in the launcher.

SimleuqiR

Kindel fires

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/16/2...e-has-already-lost-control-of-android-and-has

this time he's taking on Android, arguing that it's an unstoppable beast that is no longer under the control of the company that created it

http://ceklog.kindel.com/2012/01/14/fragmentation-is-not-the-end-of-android/

On the contrary I think we can count on Android playing a significant role in our world for a long, long time. I also am confident that Google has already lost control of Android and has zero chance of regaining control. This post explains why I’m so confident about this.

Circle T

The Note has arrived!!! Finally!!! Pretty crazy that the Skyrocket I'm using for work is my smallest phone. My Captivate (which took the pic) looks utterly dwarfed by the others.

Only had the Note up and running for an hour or so, but DAAAAMN is it awesome!! So happy I pulled the trigger. Really like the white as well.

D7E5O.jpg

Ashhong

Goddamn why is my i777 the only android phone to have these ugly ass yellowish button backlight?? Every other iteration of the gs2 has the normal blue/white. Just my luck.

Sarcasm

So I am pretty close to buying a note over here in Taiwan (its been here since it first came out in Korea) and I look at the ads.

I can get a not so good phone + tablet (dated) for cheap.

Like a motorola flip something + 32GB WiFi xoom. Or like a samsung gio + the 10.1..

God damn...

For around 300 USD.

Ashhong

you can't exchange it?

I have, and it was the same. Asked around on XDA and this warm, almost yellow color is normal for ATT's GS2. Just my luck. None of them are cool blue. The most white I have heard on the forums is a "milky" white. Exchanging it one more time to see if I get that one. The yellow really bugs me.

Thinking of selling it and using the money to buy the Tmobile GS2, depending on ROM support for it.

Circle T

I have, and it was the same. Asked around on XDA and this warm, almost yellow color is normal for ATT's GS2. Just my luck. None of them are cool blue. The most white I have heard on the forums is a "milky" white. Exchanging it one more time to see if I get that one. The yellow really bugs me.

Thinking of selling it and using the money to buy the Tmobile GS2, depending on ROM support for it.

Before getting the Skyrocket, I had the standard AT&T GSII, and it had white buttons. They weren't as bright as the Skyrocket's, but they were white. My old Captivate, though, had what you mention. It's buttons were fairly dim, and sort of off-white.

Ashhong

Before getting the Skyrocket, I had the standard AT&T GSII, and it had white buttons. They weren't as bright as the Skyrocket's, but they were white. My old Captivate, though, had what you mention. It's buttons were fairly dim, and sort of off-white.

Yea apparently it fluctuates between warm/off white, and milky white. Nobody has the cool blue white though. I even took apart the phone to see if I could find the LED or whatever the backlight is to change it, but I couldn't see it..

Pctx

Banned
Yea apparently it fluctuates between warm/off white, and milky white. Nobody has the cool blue white though. I even took apart the phone to see if I could find the LED or whatever the backlight is to change it, but I couldn't see it..

Get a Skyrocket and behold the future. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom