• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun-drop

anyone tried the samsung touchwiz ICS versions? to me touchwiz 4 always felt super smooth, and cm9 doesnt feel quite right to me. i'm guessing samsung can better accelerate the launcher too, since they made the hardware.

i know people often say touchwiz sucks but i assume they must be people unfortunate enough to have had it on an older phone. on sgs2 it was fine.

i had LP2 on my S2 the last two days, thats the latest ICS TW rom.

better than the previous tests but still no where ready for every day use.

is pretty snappy through the menus ..i kinda felt it was even faster than my usual rom KL3 ... but issues with wall papers, if you choose a static non scrolling image ..it's ok, scrolling though ..laggy as hell.

also socialhub ..it's missing contact sync at the mo ..which means no proper facebook image syc for your contact images.

phone app doesn't have a quick link to contacts at the mo ..so you kinda need them both, rather than just one, i usually swap out contacts for browser in my 4 apps in the tray.

volume is tied to alerts .. with audiomanager i couldnt mute calls and leave txt alerts loud

beautiful widgest mobile toggle doesn't work

and the crashes and unpolished bits..

trying to add a single bookmark widget ..crashes the browser service

i couldn't get the google dictation thing going, even with the ICS keyboard added.

the browser is great but little things like trying to get the edit cursor to the end of the address bar was such a pain.. little things like that ...

lot of work left to get the ICS rom in a state close to the ultra solid KL3 rom..

but man, love the good bits of ICS i got to try ..... browser is so good, LOVE how i get access to my chrome bookmarks. love how favs pop up while i'm typing in search and address boxes

ics gmail app .... love it ...so so good.

and the taskmanager ..very cool...

but yeh i want sammy to use the ICS app try, and hell the launcher too ..or at least give us the option down the track ...dunno how likely that is to happen tho.

gcubed

uhh...Yes they are. and they're actually located in sdcard/android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music

They just aren't named, they don't even have ID3 tags still attached. They have random number names that Google gives them, but they play just fine in my PowerAMP when I want to just shuffle.

probably going to switch to amazon for music though, don't like not being able to properly download my music yet.

... download it on your computer

Ashhong

True, but the skyrocket will get 4.0 before the S2 on AT&T.

Oh really? Well I use all custom ROMs anyway, but supposedly they cant get ICS on the S2 until the official ICS comes out and they have the source or something for it. Skyrocket is tempting...

Circle T

I would say the future is bleak for both phones now that the skyrocket HD is coming out.

Hey now, this is AT&T we're talking about. They are VERY quick with the updates for their phones. Just the other day the Captivate got its official update to the most recent, and highly up-to-date version of Android called Gingerbread. [/rolleyes]

Infuse owners am cry

----------

On the subject of my new Note, I've noticed a small issue. The white casing is just ever so slightly translucent, and when in a dark room, the light for the two capacitive buttons can be seen glowing just slightly around the buttons. It isn't a major issue, but just was kind of strange when I first noticed it tonight.

Oh, and this thing is MADE to play Jelly Defense!! Soooooo good!

Hey now, this is AT&T we're talking about. They are VERY quick with the updates for their phones. Just the other day the Captivate got its official update to the most recent, and highly up-to-date version of Android called Gingerbread. [/rolleyes]

Infuse owners am cry

----------

On the subject of my new Note, I've noticed a small issue. The white casing is just ever so slightly translucent, and when in a dark room, the light for the two capacitive buttons can be seen glowing just slightly around the buttons. It isn't a major issue, but just was kind of strange when I first noticed it tonight.

CONTINUUM!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Infuse owners am cry

----------

Galaxy Note uber alles

Ashhong

I would say the future is bleak for both phones now that the skyrocket HD is coming out.

We talking official support or community support? The i777 is very similar to the GT-i9100 and is pretty well supported. You can port some ROMs straight from the GT over, and I don't see support for the GT dying anytime soon.

JCX

Any good to-do list apps? Preferably one with a widget.

On another note, my Evo 3D is falling apart. I'm stuck with it for a while unfortunately.

rozay

Banned
We talking official support or community support? The i777 is very similar to the GT-i9100 and is pretty well supported. You can port some ROMs straight from the GT over, and I don't see support for the GT dying anytime soon.
Official support, of course. I am glad to hear that the i777 isn't too different than the international version and it just makes me feel worse for the poor souls that bought infuses.

Probably has been asked before, but I just can't decide which phone I should get.

GS2 or Nexus?

GS2:
+ Better screen
+ micro SD card slot
- low res
- long wait for updates

Nexus:
+ regular updates
+ higher res
- inferior screen quality

Does the higher quality screen on the GS2 make up for the lower res?

How hard is it to install ICS on it?

I was talking on my phone when the battery died, so I put it on charge and now I can't get any signal!

I've tried restarting the phone and enabling and disabling data and airplane mode.

Any ideas? Does it just need to charge more? Its at about 16% battery.

Edit: Took the Sim and battery out a few times and got it working.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
My Gallery issues:

pick one random photo, scroll to see the next one and you always see the last photo you shot...... very annoying

SGS S2

rozay

Banned
Probably has been asked before, but I just can't decide which phone I should get.

GS2 or Nexus?

GS2:
+ Better screen
+ micro SD card slot
- low res
- long wait for updates

Nexus:
+ regular updates
+ higher res

How hard is it to install ICS on it?[/QUOTE
I personally think the nexus's screen is better than the GS2. No green tint and the screen is generally dense enough to make pentile a moot point (they also took advantage of the size and resolution to make the fonts thicker which helps a lot.)

GS2 or Nexus?

GS2:
+ Better screen
+ micro SD card slot
- low res
- long wait for updates

Nexus:
+ regular updates
+ higher res

How hard is it to install ICS on it?

exynos GS2( international or AT&T) in my opinion is overall the best android phone out right now in terms of hardware...if you don't count the Note as a phone. ...

Official updates don't really matter if you root and use custom roms. I laugh at all the people who are still on 4.0.1...

Once ICS come to the exynos GS2 it will be a beast.

The only thing I like about my nexus is that its high res screen and form factor...also the fact my screen is nearly perfect....careful there's so many messed up screen out there. Its not as fast and smooth as the GS2 and the camera is horrible.

I liked my GS2 because I believe its the only real competition to the iphone 4s

I personally think the nexus's screen is better than the GS2. No green tint and the screen is generally dense enough to make pentile a moot point (they also took advantage of the size and resolution to make the fonts thicker which helps a lot.)

exynos GS2( international or AT&T) in my opinion is overall the best android phone out right now in terms of hardware...if you don't count the Note as a phone. ...

Official updates don't really matter if you root and use custom roms. I laugh at all the people who are still on 4.0.1...

The only thing I like about my nexus is that its high res screen and form factor...also the fact my screen is nearly perfect....careful there's so many messed up screen out there. Its not as fast and smooth as the GS2 and the camera is horrible.

Thanks for your impressions guys.

I don't like the hit or miss situation with the Nexus screen.

Still no idea which one I should get.

Sprint Touch also has Exynos

gcubed

hey guys, is ICS out yet? i'm not sure. I heard rumors there was a phone with it out but i can't really find many streaming apps (or any) that support it. So i'm doubting its really out

kehs

Banned
Anyone using Agenda Widget + with ICS?

The widget itself works, but I can't get into the settings. I always get a crash error. =/

gcubed

Anyone using Agenda Widget + with ICS?

The widget itself works, but I can't get into the settings. I always get a crash error. =/

how is ICS running on your S? My wife has an ATT Nexus S, is it worth it to do the update manually? or are the bugs that crippling

ScOULaris

how is ICS running on your S? My wife has an ATT Nexus S, is it worth it to do the update manually? or are the bugs that crippling

For the AT&T Nexus S, especially, I would wait a bit. The only way to get ICS working on the AT&T version is to manually update to the T-Mobile ICS version and then flash a stock AT&T radio file. I have the same phone, and I've decided to wait it out.

Besides, it's not like ICS is gonna give me much that my 2.3.6 Gingerbread with Go Launcher EX can't do.

gcubed

For the AT&T Nexus S, especially, I would wait a bit. The only way to get ICS working on the AT&T version is to manually update to the T-Mobile ICS version and then flash a stock AT&T radio file. I have the same phone, and I've decided to wait it out.

Besides, it's not like ICS is gonna give me much that my 2.3.6 Gingerbread with Go Launcher EX can't do.

oh, well apparently i didnt read enough, i though the update went to both GSM versions of the phone, not just the tmobile version. I won't mess around with it then if thats the case.

kehs

Banned

I'm actually running it on the N1 as well. The only complaint from the person using it on the S has been bluetooth acting up and not transmitting data. Battery seems same as before. It seems a little sluggish at times though (on the NS) the N1 build I'm using is lacking hardware accell =(.

If you were to update the ATT one, you'd have to mess around with repackaging the radio and all that stuff, btw. I'd probably wait, I hate messing with radios.

e:beaten like my n1.

reKon

Banned
Facebook Messenger notifications for me aren't working. I have alerts set to on, but I'm not getting notifications when I get messaged while using my phone. The app is definitely running and I'm using Android 4.0.3 w/ the Galaxy Nexus. Anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

kehs

Banned
Not sure why the thread I made got closed. Seemed pretty civil. Woz is a really cool dude. A true tech head. I see myself in a similar light in that I love tech, regardless of brand.

Yeah, I didn't think the thread was getting bad at all compared to a few other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom