• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threi

notag
I love everything about miui...except it's launcher.

Currently torn between that and stock (and cm7) only the stock ROM has working Bluetooth though :(

jokkir

When you do a full wipe with ICS, what wallpaper are you supposed to have? My previous wallpaper remains despite factory resetting, wiping cache and dalvik

exynos GS2( international or AT&T) in my opinion is overall the best android phone out right now in terms of hardware...if you don't count the Note as a phone. ...

Official updates don't really matter if you root and use custom roms. I laugh at all the people who are still on 4.0.1...

Once ICS come to the exynos GS2 it will be a beast.

The only thing I like about my nexus is that its high res screen and form factor...also the fact my screen is nearly perfect....careful there's so many messed up screen out there. Its not as fast and smooth as the GS2 and the camera is horrible.

I liked my GS2 because I believe its the only real competition to the iphone 4s

It isn't as fast and smooth as a GS2? On 4.03? I don't think so.

kinggroin

Banned
It isn't as fast and smooth as a GS2? On 4.03? I don't think so.

Yeah its bullshit. I'd give him stock for stock, but 4.0.3 roms put the weaker GN ahead in overall performance. Still, nothing to be upset about as a gs2 user. Its nearly as fast on a shittier OS. That's impressive; and with ICS, it shouldn't be a contest anymore.

Yeah its bullshit. I'd give him stock for stock, but 4.0.3 roms put the weaker GN ahead in overall performance. Still, nothing to be upset about as a gs2 user. Its nearly as fast on a shittier OS. That's impressive; and with ICS, it shouldn't be a contest anymore.

galaxy nexus running milestone 2(4.0.3) + Franco kernal Vs Exynos GS2 unnamed rom + entropyDD kernal/ siyah kernal = GS2 is smoother and fast no doubt, and this is without even overclocking the GS2!!...I overclock the GS2 and it not even a fair comparison. I would even say the GS2 without overclock is faster than an overclocked nexus.

I've owned both. I had both unit side by side.

I had multiple people to compare which they think was smoother/faster all of them agreed it was the GS2. These people were Iphone4s users, and some never touched an android phone before...and don't give a shit about them.

Even people with both exynos GS2 and nexus will agree with me.

I say it how i see it...so no bullshit from me. Have you made a side by side comparison?

Even majority of the XDA posters will agree...

kinggroin

Banned
i don't get this debate... in GB, the GS2 Exynos easily bests GB devices using OMAP4, especially when the GPUs are involved, why would that not translate to ICS?

Because it makes no sense.

The only scenario in which the GN feels a bit smoother/faster than a GS2 is on 4.0.3. I'm talking a stock GS2 here. Of course moving to anything custom for the GS2 or eventually ICS, its going to be faster. I mean, it IS a faster phone....like...by a lot.

zedge

galaxy nexus running milestone 2(4.0.3) + Franco kernal Vs Exynos GS2 unnamed rom + entropyDD kernal/ siyah kernal = GS2 is smoother and fast no doubt, and this is without even overclocking the GS2!!...I overclock the GS2 and it not even a fair comparison. I would even say the GS2 without overclock is faster than an overclocked nexus.

I've owned both. I had both unit side by side.

I had multiple people to compare which they think was smoother/faster all of them agreed it was the GS2. These people were Iphone4s users, and some never touched an android phone before...and don't give a shit about them.

Even people with both exynos GS2 and nexus will agree with me.

I say it how i see it...so no bullshit from me. Have you made a side by side comparison?

Even majority of the XDA posters will agree...

I agree, using side by side I'll take my GS2 with Touchwiz over a Galaxy Nexus. Smooth like a babies bottom. ;)

kinggroin

Banned
No idea. The omap is a really nice chip hampered by an old overclocked gpu. The exynos is better

Meh. I've yet to see the aging GPU get in the way of good performance. Any stutters or slowdown have less to do with the SGX540 and more to do with ICS still being early. The rather noticeable jump in performance just from moving to 4.0.3 and a better kernel (even without overclocking) proves this. The performance is even more impressive considering its pushing a 720p display.

As it stands, the only areas where I see any performance issues are with some web page layouts (that cause even the iPhone 4s to glitch out) and whenever the keyboard is present (frame rate instantly gets cut by 50%). Everything else is a locked 60fps. Some apps that are rewritten for ICS even have that ios level smoothness as well.

rozay

Banned
Thanks for your impressions guys.

I don't like the hit or miss situation with the Nexus screen.

Still no idea which one I should get.
Any AMOLED screen you buy (super, plus, hd) can have the "problems" I described because of the manufacturing process. 3 out of 4 GS2s I've handled in person have a green tint over everything whereas the nexus has a much more neutral coloring (aside from the whites which I'm sure supercurio will try to tweak a little bit in the future), the weird lines and other textures people report on grey screens are going to be visible on both phones, and there are even phones where half the screen is yellow and the grays turn to purple.

Sorry if I'm scaring you, these are beautiful yet flawed screens and it isn't really fair to the nexus to put the screen down. You'll be happy whichever choice you go with :)

Because it makes no sense.

The only scenario in which the GN feels a bit smoother/faster than a GS2 is on 4.0.3. I'm talking a stock GS2 here. Of course moving to anything custom for the GS2 or eventually ICS, its going to be faster. I mean, it IS a faster phone....like...by a lot.

Why did you say its bullshit when i said the GS2 is faster than GN?

why won't you compare them evenly?

I compared GS2 custom rom vs GN custom rom and the GS2 is faster/smoother.

4.0.3 is not even officially rolled out yet. So if you compare stock for stock the GS2 still smoother/faster.

There is no denying this. ALOT of people who switched from exynos GS2 to GN notice this on the get go.

I know I might strike a nerve with GN owners but its true....and I am a fellow GN owner, only that I got spoiled with the smoothness of the GS2 beforehand.

The Galaxy Nexus is still an awesome phone though, but its under spec. I don't know why google didn't use the exynos on the GSM model, they could have put one in there because its not using LTE.

I know its just to showcase ICS, but I do remember the Nexus S being pretty beefy when it came out..

Google has long purposely wanted to not compete with their own hardware partners with the Nexus devices. The Nexus devices aren't even supposed to be mainstream end-user devices, they were conceived by Google to provide developers with a base Android platform to target their app development. Somewhere along the line normal people who don't write apps decided they hated shitty custom OEM Android skins and demanded a bone-stock device to call their own, and so now we have Tuna. However that doesn't change the fact that the Tuna is meant for developers to develop with, Google isn't going to put top-of-the-line hardware in it and compete with their own hardware partners. The price we pay for stock Android is slightly below-spec hardware. You can decide yourself if you want to pay that price. I love my Tuna.

kinggroin

Banned
Why did you say its bullshit when i said the GS2 is faster than GN?

why won't you compare them evenly?

I compared GS2 custom rom vs GN custom rom and the GS2 is faster/smoother.

4.0.3 is not even officially rolled out yet. So if you compare stock for stock the GS2 still smoother/faster.

There is no denying this. ALOT of people who switched from exynos GS2 to GN notice this on the get go.

I know I might strike a nerve with GN owners but its true....and I am a fellow GN owner, only that I got spoiled with the smoothness of the GS2 beforehand.

The Galaxy Nexus is still an awesome phone though, but its under spec. I don't know why google didn't use the exynos on the GSM model, they could have put one in there because its not using LTE.

I know its just to showcase ICS, but I do remember the Nexus S being pretty beefy when it came out..

Didn't mean to step on your toes m'man.

I have (well, as of today I had to give my brother back his gs2) both to compare. Stock vs stock, the gs2 is noticeably faster/smoother. I even said that in my "its bullshit" post (which I apologize for). The only way a GN can outpace the GS2 is stock versus 4.0.3. Its not fair, no, but it speaks volumes that an OS change can allow hardware that is considerably weaker to run neck and neck with superior hardware at a much higher resolution. So in this one scenario, the GN can be just as smooth as a GS2.

Personally, I wish we could have an exynos GN and have the best of both worlds. As it is, I'd rather have the bigger screen, higher Res, stock experience and quicker updates. The way ICS is made to hardware accelerate everything, a matured released down the road means we should start seeing a point of diminishing returns as far as hardware performance is concerned. Its up to developers now to leverage all this power...

Didn't mean to step on your toes m'man.

I have (well, as of today I had to give my brother back his gs2) both to compare. Stock vs stock, the gs2 is noticeably faster/smoother. I even said that in my "its bullshit" post (which I apologize for). The only way a GN can outpace the GS2 is stock versus 4.0.3. Its not fair, no, but it speaks volumes that an OS change can allow hardware that is considerably weaker to run neck and neck with superior hardware at a much higher resolution. So in this one scenario, the GN can be just as smooth as a GS2.

Personally, I wish we could have an exynos GN and have the best of both worlds. As it is, I'd rather have the bigger screen, higher Res, stock experience and quicker updates. The way ICS is made to hardware accelerate everything, a matured released down the road means we should start seeing a point of diminishing returns as far as hardware performance is concerned. Its up to developers now to leverage all this power...

No warm done.

I learned to love the GN, its so dayam sexy when it has no case.
But I do have to admit if i didn't get spoiled by the GS2, I don't see the GN lacking in performance.

The screen is superb when watching 720p videos. The downside is that alot of people are getting defected screens...luckily mine is nearly perfect. That why I didn't want to part with it. I do hope developers do something to make the soft button disappear when not needed. Kinda make it like auto hide task bar on windows.

rozay

Banned
No warm done.

But I do have to admit if i didn't get spoiled by the GS2, I don't see the GN lacking in performance.

The screen is superb when watching 720p videos. The downside is that alot of people are getting defected screens...luckily mine is nearly perfect. That why I didn't want to part with it. I do hope developers do something to make the soft button disappear when not needed. Kinda make it like auto hide task bar on windows.
Honestly, the mass complaints about screen quality is no different than what I read on boards when the GS2 first came out last summer. Tons of complaints about the screens being yellow and that texture on the screen. I don't think a lot of people using these phones actually notice or care sadly, my friend still cannot see the pentile matrix on my N1 when I was able to see it the first time I booted my phone lol.

Zizbuka

Banned
I'm really struggling with music players. I have all my MP3s on my PC, in folder/subfolder by artist/album. Works great. When I put them on my phone, the player refuses to use that info and instead gets the track info from the file. I guess that's normal, but in some of the indie cases it's just wrong.

Anyone know of a player, or a way to make a player use my folder structure for the lists? I've tried lots of different ones, but they all do the same thing. I've settled on Real Player, just because I like it the best, but it's annoying. Preferrable something free.

Edit: I think I stumbled on a player that works; Cubed. Looks promising, I'll have to play with it more.

gcubed

No warm done.

Hiding the soft keys is easy for video playback. The pop up event is any screen touch so its only really useful for videos

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Here's THE reason why one should get the GN instead of the GS2: No ugly hardware buttons.

longdi

Banned
Hi guys can you explain in more scenarios how GS2 is faster than GN? My personal experience is the webrowser of GS2 is very fast, but the UI/Touchwiz on the whole is not as smooth as iphone4. If you are telling ICS even with hardware acceleration does not feel better than GS2 TW4.0, that is disappointing.
My only ICS experience is via officially updated Asus TFP and while it has better transitional effects than HC, it still lags (literally) behind the ipad2 by much.

kinggroin

Banned
Hi guys can you explain in more scenarios how GS2 is faster than GN? My personal experience is the webrowser of GS2 is very fast, but the UI/Touchwiz on the whole is not as smooth as iphone4. If you are telling ICS even with hardware acceleration does not feel better than GS2 TW4.0, that is disappointing.
My only ICS experience is via officially updated Asus TFP and while it has better transitional effects than HC, it still lags (literally) behind the ipad2 by much.

Let's not talk about 3rd party apps as far as performance is concerned. That out of the way...

The GS2 runs on gingerbread (touchwiz is built on it) and it is NOT a hardware accelerated OS like iOS is. ICS on the GS2 will bring performance parity with the iPhone. As it stands, I can't agree about the iPhone 4 being faster or smoother, especially with iOS 5. I've seen that phone chug and skip frames just as much as a GS2 while doing less data intensive tasks. Forget about the speed in navigating around and opening system apps (the GS2 is MUCH faster). Now the iPhone 4s, I'll agree with you. That thing is a beast.

If the GS had ICS, it will run just as smooth and work faster, than a galaxy nexus. The GN with 4.0.3 ICS is smoother/faster than the iPhone 4, not as fast as the iPhone 4s. Reason being: Android still doesn't prioritize the bells and whistle stuff over app executions (the downside is less smoothness consistency, the upside is that shit gets done quicker). The GN runs at a much higher res than the iPhone 4/4s. The GN is MUCH weaker overall, than both the GS2 and iPhone 4s (a bit faster than the 4).

The iPhone 4s is still the highest specced phone on the market. GS2 is a bit behind that, and the Nexus is quite a bit behind it.

when the phone is off sitting next to me on my desk it is quite a sexy piece of tech

i feel like most honeycomb compatible games dim them, so i wonder if its just a toggle switch

yea looks like it is just a toggle switch of sorts:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-4.0.html
Search for "Controls for system UI visibility"
The SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_LOW_PROFILE flag replaces the STATUS_BAR_HIDDEN flag. When set, this flag enables “low profile" mode for the system bar or navigation bar. Navigation buttons dim and other elements in the system bar also hide. Enabling this is useful for creating more immersive games without distraction for the system navigation buttons.

Let's not talk about 3rd party apps as far as performance is concerned. That out of the way...

The GS2 runs on gingerbread (touchwiz is built on it) and it is NOT a hardware accelerated OS like iOS is. ICS on the GS2 will bring performance parity with the iPhone. As it stands, I can't agree about the iPhone 4 being faster or smoother, especially with iOS 5. I've seen that phone chug and skip frames just as much as a GS2 while doing less data intensive tasks. Forget about the speed in navigating around and opening system apps (the GS2 is MUCH faster). Now the iPhone 4s, I'll agree with you. That thing is a beast.

If the GS had ICS, it will run just as smooth and work faster, than a galaxy nexus. The GN with 4.0.3 ICS is smoother/faster than the iPhone 4, not as fast as the iPhone 4s. Reason being: Android still doesn't prioritize the bells and whistle stuff over app executions (the downside is less smoothness consistency, the upside is that shit gets done quicker). The GN runs at a much higher res than the iPhone 4/4s. The GN is MUCH weaker overall, than both the GS2 and iPhone 4s (a bit faster than the 4).

The iPhone 4s is still the highest specced phone on the market. GS2 is a bit behind that, and the Nexus is quite a bit behind it.
the 4S has the best GPU on the market, many of it's other specs are lower than competitors.

reKon

Banned
no doubt the 4s is awesome. But once I went android, It will be hard to go back.

the 4s is like having a Ferrari car but can only drive around on an oval track....its fast and pretty but you want to more to it...

Yes! Like widgets, better notifications, certain apps...

I do like the iPhone and the next version with a bigger screen will certainly look sexy as hell, but I don't think there's anyway I could switch with the lack of Google Maps Turn by turn + Nav, Google Music, calender/gmail widgets, and the recent apps buttons (if you have not gotten in the habit of using this, I feel bad for you).

Damn the iphone still though because of its amazing battery life.

Icicle

Are there any top of the line Android phones that will be releasing soon? Like, has there been anything that can top the Galaxy Nexus that does not occupy the phone/tablet hybrid space?

Any idea until how long quad-core phones hit the market? An estimated Samsung Galaxy III release window? Any other tech innovations to look out for?

If anybody can answer some of these questions, I'd be very appreciative.

gcubed

Are there any top of the line Android phones that will be releasing soon? Like, has there been anything that can top the Galaxy Nexus that does not occupy the phone/tablet hybrid space?

Any idea until how long quad-core phones hit the market? An estimated Samsung Galaxy III release window? Any other tech innovations to look out for?

You will get a much better idea during MWC next month

no doubt the 4s is awesome. But once I went android, It will be hard to go back.

the 4s is like having a Ferrari but can only drive around on an oval track....its fast and pretty but you want to more to it...

yeah, tell me about it! i like to use IRC on my phone, so iOS presents a FUNDAMENTAL PROBLEM (no multitasking) to doing that for more than 5 minutes.

soon? no.

this spring/summer? wait for MWC.

Anybody who can afford to get a Galaxy Nexus and chooses to get a GS2 instead needs a slap around the head. Unless the camera is a big deal you'd be utterly crazy.

Faux iphone UI? Check
Faux iphone 3GS hardware design (3 btn)? Check
No guarantee of updates post ICS? Check

Exynos or no exynos the overall package is inferior. That will still be the case even post GS2 ics update.

Ashhong

Anybody who can afford to get a Galaxy Nexus and chooses to get a GS2 instead needs a slap around the head. Unless the camera is a big deal you'd be utterly crazy.

Faux iphone UI? Check

Exynos or no exynos the overall package is inferior. That will still be the case even post GS2 ics update.

2 out of 3 of those are a moot point to anybody that roots. And everybody should root their phones, as there is zero downside.

and your last point is only applicable to the international version. The rest all have capicitive buttons that I think look sexy.

-PXG-

I rooted my Skyrocket last night. About to install Sky Icecream RC6.75+ (overlocked version) and the the RC6.9 update. Wish me luck.

2 out of 3 of those are a moot point to anybody that roots. And everybody should root their phones, as there is zero downside.

and your last point is only applicable to the international version. The rest all have capicitive buttons that I think look sexy.

Post stock ICS: If you have to root your phone then the software provider is doing it wrong.

Pre ICS: Root.

Rooting should be something we do for fun, not because we have to. Too often I had to root on earlier versions of Android for one reason or another. This is the first time I've rooted a phone and then went back to pure stock. I'm happy to wait for the official 4.03 rom. The features I always wanted from stock are now present in official roms as is the stability, custom roms can be notoriously dodgy in this regard, even something like CM which was a mess on my Nexus S.

I have nothing against the GS2 it's a great phone. But compared to a Nexus device running similar hardware and fully optimised by Google?

Not even close.

Faux iphone UI? Check

Wow you are so wrong...

have you even compared the 2 units?

The only thing about the Gnex is that its soo dayam sexy and the screen. Everything else GS2 is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom