• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both the Samsung Epic 4G and the Samsung Epic 4G Touch have new kernel source up at Samsung's open source portal. The Original Epic 4G has the kernel and other open-source bits for update version EL30 ready to download, and the Epic 4G Touch has the same for version EL29.

Usually when we see source code up for grabs at Samsung, it's soon followed by an OTA update. We've heard rumors of both the Epic brothers getting one in the near future, but this seals the deal. An OTA for both phones should be coming, now it's just a matter of when. And developers -- your goodies are available at the link below.

And here's a wrinkle: Sprint's already said that it's stopped using Carrier IQ software on the server side, and it followed up by having HTC strip it from the HTC EVO 3D (and future device updates) this week. Might Sprint have had it stripped from Samsung ROMs, too? If it's that easy for one, might it be for more? Stay tuned.
http://www.androidcentral.com/epic-...ve-new-kernel-source-available-look-otas-soon

looks like Sprint is going hard with Carrier IQ removal... several HTC phones have been updated and now the Samsung Epic 4G and Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch are set for updates soon.

Edit: Source #2 - Internal Sprint Email

http://www.acsyndicate.net/breaking...ta-update-coming-soon-to-the-samsung-epic-4g/

zedge

Anybody who can afford to get a Galaxy Nexus and chooses to get a GS2 instead needs a slap around the head. Unless the camera is a big deal you'd be utterly crazy.

Faux iphone UI? Check
Faux iphone 3GS hardware design (3 btn)? Check
No guarantee of updates post ICS? Check

Exynos or no exynos the overall package is inferior. That will still be the case even post GS2 ics update.

I could, but would still take the GS2. What do you think about them apples? :p

The only thing better about the Nexus is the screen, stock ICS is not all that great.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I had an iPad 1 until last week, when I sold it to put some money aside for an iPad 3. But I was starting to get annoyed with it not launching apps and being generally slow under iOS5.

I'm still quite likely to get an iPad 3, but I looked at a couple of android tablets today, and they seemed pretty nice. Galaxy tab 8.9 and the transformer (not prime). The Galaxy tab seemed pretty responsive and I like the flexibility of how you lay out the home screens. The transformer I just like the idea of a keyboard, but maybe have reservations as its netbook sized and I don't type well on those.

When ICS comes (seems the big update everyone wants), is it expected to smooth things out a lot more - e.g. the little stutters etc? And is it doing anything major with anything else?

Prices are disappointing - parity with iPad makes it difficult to switch, especially as I have so much invested in apps on the iPad. But it is something I think I need to look more into.

Is browsing significantly better than iPad 2? e.g. can you keep lots of tabs open without it complaining too much? Flash I don't really care about.

EvetS

I'm really struggling with music players. I have all my MP3s on my PC, in folder/subfolder by artist/album. Works great. When I put them on my phone, the player refuses to use that info and instead gets the track info from the file. I guess that's normal, but in some of the indie cases it's just wrong.

Anyone know of a player, or a way to make a player use my folder structure for the lists? I've tried lots of different ones, but they all do the same thing. I've settled on Real Player, just because I like it the best, but it's annoying. Preferrable something free.

Edit: I think I stumbled on a player that works; Cubed. Looks promising, I'll have to play with it more.
I use mortplayer for folder support. Excellent free player.

kehs

Banned
I had an iPad 1 until last week, when I sold it to put some money aside for an iPad 3. But I was starting to get annoyed with it not launching apps and being generally slow under iOS5.

I'm still quite likely to get an iPad 3, but I looked at a couple of android tablets today, and they seemed pretty nice. Galaxy tab 8.9 and the transformer (not prime). The Galaxy tab seemed pretty responsive and I like the flexibility of how you lay out the home screens. The transformer I just like the idea of a keyboard, but maybe have reservations as its netbook sized and I don't type well on those.

When ICS comes (seems the big update everyone wants), is it expected to smooth things out a lot more - e.g. the little stutters etc? And is it doing anything major with anything else?

Prices are disappointing - parity with iPad makes it difficult to switch, especially as I have so much invested in apps on the iPad. But it is something I think I need to look more into.

Is browsing significantly better than iPad 2? e.g. can you keep lots of tabs open without it complaining too much? Flash I don't really care about.

If you have a large investment in ios tablet apps your going to be disappointed with android "tablet" apps.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Are there any android browsers that always show tabs?

Maxthon does. If you dont use the auto full screen option. I wish maxthon would have an inbetween full screen and non full screen setting where it keeps the black bottom bar visible and hides the address bar and tabs at the top.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I tired both Dolphin and opera and I still went back to maxthon. It seems lighter and faster to load pages, even if not as smooth on the whole.

Ashhong

I have a Bodyguardz full body protector on my i777. Happy with the screen protector, not so happy with the rest of it. I'm returning it. But the screen protector is clear and doesnt hamper the touch screen.

I would like a case recommendation also..

Al-ibn Kermit

Your decision should mainly depend on whether you can find the apps you need on the android marketplace. And then you have to weigh whether it's worth repurchasing those apps if they're not free...

For the Transformer, the old one is supposed to drop in price once the transformer prime appears in stores. I think it's going to be $300 at that point.

dream

I don't think a tablet should have a natural orientation, Coco. I shouldn't have to change to fit the product. It should fit me.

Al-ibn Kermit

I don't think a tablet should have a natural orientation, Coco. I shouldn't have to change to fit the product. It should fit me.

Do you have a transformer prime or a xoom?

I don't have a xoom but on the TP you turn it to the portrait position, touch the clock on the lower right, then turn off the setting for auto-rotate next to the wifi/bluetooth/brightness controls.

kehs

Banned

Oh thats right, you're using a touchpad. It's 4:3 it really doesnt have a proper orientation

And by proper I mean useful.

dream

Do you have a transformer prime or a xoom?

I don't have a xoom but on the TP you turn it to the portrait position, touch the clock on the lower right, then turn off the setting for auto-rotate next to the wifi/bluetooth/brightness controls.

Oh sonofabitch, that...worked. Doing it from settings (or a autorotate widget) instantly locks it in landscape but doing it from the notification shade, like you described above, locked it in portrait.

Thanks Al-ibn Kermit. Thanks for nothing, Coco.

rozay

Banned
43397.png

should've put a snapdragon in the nexus

kehs

Banned
Oh sonofabitch, that...worked. Doing it from settings (or a autorotate widget) instantly locks it in landscape but doing it from the notification shade, like you described above, locked it in portrait.

Thanks Al-ibn Kermit. Thanks for nothing, Coco.

I swear I suggested that same thing a few months ago.....

Shit. Looks like I am having trouble with flash not working at all on my xoom ics. Is this a common problem or is there some mode I have to activate in some sub menu?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Your decision should mainly depend on whether you can find the apps you need on the android marketplace. And then you have to weigh whether it's worth repurchasing those apps if they're not free...

For the Transformer, the old one is supposed to drop in price once the transformer prime appears in stores. I think it's going to be $300 at that point.

most are games really. Worst case I could buy a cheap iPad 1 for the kids. Browsing and remote desktop are the two main things I use the iPad for - how does android fare there? I don't really have any problem with the basic safari browser, mainly frustrated by constant reloading of tabs - if I want to use it for more than basic googling, then I want something where I can keep 5-10 tabs open for reference and no reload them all the time. And a good remote desktop app that works with a mac. I currently use iTeleport which is fantastic, but I'm guessing there must be something similar for android?

My main attraction I think is the more 'live' home screen, so being able to put a few things on the home screen that otherwise I'd need to launch an app for - weather, twitter, email preview etc.

any good in-depth video reviews of tablets?

Sure, the GSII is a beast. Let's all forget that the GSII is driving an 800x480 screen and the Tuna is driving a 1280x720 display. The Tuna is pushing 140% more pixels than the GSII (921,600 vs. 384,000), when you consider this the 2-years old SGX 540 isn't exactly faring too badly. I'll give you a 38 pound box and I'll carry a 92 pound box and I bet you'll beat me every time in a race to see who carries the box 20 feet faster.

Also, I'm sure the Anandtech review only considered Android 4.0.2, the only officially available Google release for Tuna. I can verify with my Touchpad running CM9/4.0.3 that some of the things we have all noticed like the lag bringing up the Task Switcher and returning to the home screen are much improved over 4.0.2. It's software that's the problem, not hardware. And if you guys try to tell me the Adreno 220 in my Touchpad is more powerful than the SGX 540 in my Tuna, I'll refer you to The Faceless Master and retire from the field of battle.

rozay

Banned
Sure, the GSII is a beast. Let's all forget that the GSII is driving an 800x480 screen and the Tuna is driving a 1280x720 display. The Tuna is pushing 140% more pixels than the GSII (921,600 vs. 384,000), when you consider this the 2-years old SGX 540 isn't exactly faring too badly. I'll give you a 38 pound box and I'll carry a 92 pound box and I bet you'll beat me every time in a race to see who carries the box 20 feet faster.

Also, I'm sure the Anandtech review only considered Android 4.0.2, the only officially available Google release for Tuna. I can verify with my Touchpad running CM9/4.0.3 that some of the things we have all noticed like the lag bringing up the Task Switcher and returning to the home screen are much improved over 4.0.2. It's software that's the problem, not hardware. And if you guys try to tell me the Adreno 220 in my Touchpad is more powerful than the SGX 540 in my Tuna, I'll refer you to The Faceless Master and retire from the field of battle.

Except the GS2 is rendering at the same resolution as the nexus in the graphics benchmarks lol

As far as the lag being gone for the soft keys, I'll belive it when I try it myself on a 4.0.3 rom. It didn't make a difference on my N1.

Sony Ericsson had another red quarter.

Sony Ericsson has announced that it made a pre-tax loss of $317 million (£205 million) in Q4 2011

The loss is being blamed on increased competition in the market, the on-going global financial crisis and the floods in Thailand – leading to component shortages.

Another reason for the loss, which was not documented by Sony Ericsson, could be its handset range has not quite reached the heights of rivals such as Samsung and HTC – which have been delivering dual-core phones while SE stuck with single-core processors in top handsets such as the Xperia Arc S.

Always look on the bight side

Sony Ericsson also announced some positive news, with its Android Xperia range seeing a 65% year on year increase and the total number of Xperia handsets shipped reaching 28 million units.

Sony will be looking to improve the fortunes of the company in 2012 when it completes its takeover deal at the end of February, shelling out €1.05 billion to take full control from Ericsson.

A full 2011 financial report will be unveiled on 25 January - so check back to see Sony Ericsson's explanation of the huge money hole.
www.techradar.com/1055894

What do you guys think, how could Sony turn this around, now that they have full control?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Yeesh.

It looks like Sony is learning from the SE venture though. The Xperia Ion and S are two great looking, well spec'd devices that consumers should want to purchase. And the fact that their phones finally have hooks into the other Sony services of music and video aside from the PS certification only helps.

gcubed

Except the GS2 is rendering at the same resolution as the nexus in the graphics benchmarks lol

As far as the lag being gone for the soft keys, I'll belive it when I try it myself on a 4.0.3 rom. It didn't make a difference on my N1.

is it rendering at the same resolution? I dont see anything in that image that says so (it usually does) and i wouldnt expect the previous chipset to outscore it

thuway

If Sony were to release to the next Google phone I'd be in. The audio quality on some of the Sony phones is almost as good as my Cowon MP3 player. Which is why it breaks my heart to see them so behind the curve.

A 2012 Android 5.0 5 inch Google Device by Sony is the meal ticket.

ScOULaris

I figured I'd pop into this thread and give everyone a heads up about Boat Browser. I had been using Dolphin Browser HD as my browser of choice for a while until I decided to give this a try. It's a really sleek, fast browser with just enough customization options without demanding a ton of RAM.

I've never seen it mentioned around here, so I thought I'd enlighten some of you. :)

thuway

Dear GAF,/

I'm a n00b. I was recently gifted a Galaxy Note. What now? I want Ice Cream Sandwich, how long of a wait, and I don't mind nerding my shit out. What are some must have apps?

The phone feels slow and clunky :-/.

Angst

I figured I'd pop into this thread and give everyone a heads up about Boat Browser. I had been using Dolphin Browser HD as my browser of choice for a while until I decided to give this a try. It's a really sleek, fast browser with just enough customization options without demanding a ton of RAM.

I've never seen it mentioned around here, so I thought I'd enlighten some of you. :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34379076

Give this thread some well deserved love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom