• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

popeutlal

Dear GAF,/

I'm a n00b. I was recently gifted a Galaxy Note. What now? I want Ice Cream Sandwich, how long of a wait, and I don't mind nerding my shit out. What are some must have apps?

The phone feels slow and clunky :-/.
Never buy Samsung, they rarely update their phones.
Put ADW or Go Launcher on it, that'll at least make the home screen smoother.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Never buy Samsung, they rarely update their phones.
Put ADW or Go Launcher on it, that'll at least make the home screen smoother.

Really now? http://www.theunwired.net/?item=enh...the::unwired+-+where+mobility+meets+wireless)

Samsung pushes ROMs out the ass, problem is, many aren't OTA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1424997

Additionally, the home screen is smooth, it's just the crapload of graphically intense widgets that are installed when you first boot up the device. Remove some of those, it should run better. The note has a screen resolution of 1280 x 800, most tend to forget that when they call it "clunky"

132684632231.jpg

But he's right.

ok so my Dad needs a new phone and he's on Verizon. Fighting the urge to just make him get the Galaxy Nexus just because i want to mess around with it.

He'll probably have this phone for about two years (maybe more, you know how old people are). He already has an older android phone so his contacts and whatnot will transfer seamlessly, so he's all set.

Is the GN the best phone on Big Red at the moment? Maybe the Droid Razr? Never heard anything about the Razr Maxx release date. I think battery life would probably be important to him.

ok so my Dad needs a new phone and he's on Verizon. Fighting the urge to just make him get the Galaxy Nexus just because i want to mess around with it.

He'll probably have this phone for about two years (maybe more, you know how old people are). He already has an older android phone so his contacts and whatnot will transfer seamlessly, so he's all set.

Is the GN the best phone on Big Red at the moment? Maybe the Droid Razr? Never heard anything about the Razr Maxx release date. I think battery life would probably be important to him.
the Galaxy Nexus is always a great choice, especially for an existing Android user! If battery life is a real issue, the Razr Maxx is supposed to be really awesome though...

Sony Ericsson had another red quarter.

www.techradar.com/1055894

What do you guys think, how could Sony turn this around, now that they have full control?

Their whole roadmap for 2012 leaked. They have a flagship coming out in September which could be A15 or quad core or something that will go up against the S3 properly unlike the MSM8260 based Xperia S/Ion which should have been out late last year.

With the Sony brand and possibly the PlayStation brand depending on how quickly they can shrink the Vita SoC I think we may be looking at Samsung's dominance in Android being challenged. I also think it is in Google's interest to make a Sony Nexus as they need some competition for Samsung to make sure no single player becomes too dominant.

kehs

Banned
Do google accounts no longer store your wifi passwords? I've had to manually type in all my passwords for the past three fresh installs of 4.0 I've used.

Zeppu

Do google accounts no longer store your wifi passwords? I've had to manually type in all my passwords for the past three fresh installs of 4.0 I've used.

Did you have to install GApps separately after install? I updated the Galaxy Tab to ICS and had to install GApps manually and I got nothing restored from the google backup thingy.

kehs

Banned
Did you have to install GApps separately after install? I updated the Galaxy Tab to ICS and had to install GApps manually and I got nothing restored from the google backup thingy.

I usually flash the gapps right after the rom, but on the galaxy nexus it was stock and it still didn't pull down the wifi info.

Ashhong

Flashed ICS on my Touchpad and GApps separately and the google backup worked fine. I loaded market and it started downloading all of my apps. Oh wait, is that not what you're talking about?

Speaking of, is there anyway to see the missing apps if I cancelled that install process? I hate how the Google market only shows apps I paid for. I want it to show my history.

JoeFu

Banned
Flashed ICS on my Touchpad and GApps separately and the google backup worked fine. I loaded market and it started downloading all of my apps. Oh wait, is that not what you're talking about?

Speaking of, is there anyway to see the missing apps if I cancelled that install process? I hate how the Google market only shows apps I paid for. I want it to show my history.

The market website shows your app history I think.

Wow you are so wrong...

have you even compared the 2 units?

The only thing about the Gnex is that its soo dayam sexy and the screen. Everything else GS2 is better.

Nope. Not in the least bit wrong. 100% right in fact. You know what Samsung will do don't you? They will stick Touchwiz and all their horrible fonts all over ICS. They want consistency in look and feel across their devices so I can't see them suddenly going all holo on us. We finally have a look and feel where a professional designer has made Android beautiful. He's really thought out a lot of the issues and made stock Android look like the real deal. Actually marrying functionality with beauty. Heck he even created a new font and it wasn't something just thrown together - It was properly thought out and it really works. He gets user experience. Samsung don't. Samsung copies large parts of the feel of iOS, which is great if you don't think iOS looks horribly dated, but to my eyes it does compared to holo or WP7.

Touchwiz and Sense just look plain ugly now. I used to like Sense back in the days of Androids 1.5 and 1.6 but ever since 2.1 it has bloated up beyond belief and really doesn't look attractive.

There is a lot of obsession over the GPU in the GS2. It certainly makes little difference to the games out there in the market. I doubt there are any games (perhaps beyond some Tegra 3 fare) which won't run fine on the GPU's of the majority of high end 2011 Android smartphones. What Samsung brought to the plate was a graphics accelerated launcher, and browser which compared to most Gingerbread phones simply blew them away.

With the Galaxy Nexus having those features too in ICS that advantage really isn't there any more. The Galaxy Nexus hardware feels nicer, looks nicer, has a far better screen, capacitive buttons that rotate no matter which way you hold the phone, NFC, higher res, updates straight from Google (in most cases) a beautiful, consistent UI and a notification light that can be customised without root.

Now sure you can root the GS2 and run ICS. Heck I already have a friend who has done so (It isn't very smooth right now, I think it's an alpha rom), but frankly most custom roms have stability issues of one kind or another. Why would you even want do to that when you could just get the Nexus instead?

If for some reason the Nexus isn't available for you, or it's too expensive then the GS2 as an Android phone is a great second choice. But to delude yourself into thinking its the best Android phone on the market?

I owned and sold a Galaxy S2. My team sell them every day. But it's not the Galaxy Nexus.

Nope. Not in the least bit wrong. 100% right in fact. You know what Samsung will do don't you? They will stick Touchwiz and all their horrible fonts all over ICS. They want consistency in look and feel across their devices so I can't see them suddenly going all holo on us. We finally have a look and feel where a professional designer has made Android beautiful. He's really thought out a lot of the issues and made stock Android look like the real deal. Actually marrying functionality with beauty. Heck he even created a new font and it wasn't something just thrown together - It was properly thought out and it really works. He gets user experience. Samsung don't. Samsung copies large parts of the feel of iOS, which is great if you don't think iOS looks horribly dated, but to my eyes it does compared to holo or WP7.

Touchwiz and Sense just look plain ugly now. I used to like Sense back in the days of Androids 1.5 and 1.6 but ever since 2.1 it has bloated up beyond belief and really doesn't look attractive.

There is a lot of obsession over the GPU in the GS2. It certainly makes little difference to the games out there in the market. I doubt there are any games (perhaps beyond some Tegra 3 fare) which won't run fine on the GPU's of the majority of high end 2011 Android smartphones. What Samsung brought to the plate was a graphics accelerated launcher, and browser which compared to most Gingerbread phones simply blew them away.

With the Galaxy Nexus having those features too in ICS that advantage really isn't there any more. The Galaxy Nexus hardware feels nicer, looks nicer, has a far better screen, capacitive buttons that rotate no matter which way you hold the phone, NFC, higher res, updates straight from Google (in most cases) a beautiful, consistent UI and a notification light that can be customised without root.

Now sure you can root the GS2 and run ICS. Heck I already have a friend who has done so (It isn't very smooth right now, I think it's an alpha rom), but frankly most custom roms have stability issues of one kind or another. Why would you even want do to that when you could just get the Nexus instead?

If for some reason the Nexus isn't available for you, or it's too expensive then the GS2 as an Android phone is a great second choice. But to delude yourself into thinking its the best Android phone on the market?

I owned and sold a Galaxy S2. My team sell them every day. But it's not the Galaxy Nexus.

WOW....still so wrong..

Seem like just because the nexus is more expensive and newer it should be the first choice over the GS2. ALOT of people can afford both phone but they decide to stick with the GS2 because they believe its still the phone to beat. Most XDA people will agree with this. Even the Annadtech review doesn't recommend the nexus for long time commitment because of the under spec hardware.

There's nothing wrong with touchwiz to begin with.

And what wrong with rooting and custom rom? Therese no drawback on rooting and putting custom roms at all. Just because its official it doesn't mean it wont have bugs or stability issues. Look at 4.0.1...if 4.0.3 wasn't available from custom roms i would have thrown the Gnex out of the window...

kinda funny considering just how much ICS mimics TouchWiz from 1-2 years ago, and lol @ the whole "sure you can root" bla bla etc, i mean, if someone isn't going to root etc, and use custom roms why would they even want a Nexus? for the latest and greatest? surely they'd be fine with a HTC Rhyme...

clav

kinda funny considering just how much ICS mimics TouchWiz from 1-2 years ago, and lol @ the whole "sure you can root" bla bla etc, i mean, if someone isn't going to root etc, and use custom roms why would they even want a Nexus? for the latest and greatest? surely they'd be fine with a HTC Rhyme...

Updates bro.

That's Google's main problem right now with Android.

There should be a centralized updating system across all phones.

Even defunct webOS has this.

You tell the casuals to purchase the Nexus, so that they don't need to worry for updates.

Um no..Samsung pump out roms like crazy. The slow updates is a US issue and the fault is the carriers. Tired of hearing this.

yeah, Samsung pumped out some CiQ-free roms for Sprint pretty damn quickly. it's all about US carriers and their marketing and launch windows and other crap.

Updates bro.

That's Google's main problem right now with Android.

There should be a centralized updating system across all phones.

Even defunct webOS has this.

You tell the casuals to purchase the Nexus, so that they don't need to worry for updates.
It would be impossible to get a centralized updating system across all Android phones.

If you want sure-fire updates, get a Nexus device; that's your only option...maybe Moto devices will be better supported now that they're owned by Google but who knows?

Coming from the 'Get an iPhone' guy, I can't really take your opinions seriously.

WOW....still so wrong..

Seem like just because the nexus is more expensive and newer it should be the first choice over the GS2. ALOT of people can afford both phone but they decide to stick with the GS2 because they believe its still the phone to beat. Most XDA people will agree with this. Even the Annadtech review doesn't recommend the nexus for long time commitment because of the under spec hardware.

There's nothing wrong with touchwiz to begin with.

And what wrong with rooting and custom rom? Therese no drawback on rooting and putting custom roms at all. Just because its official it doesn't mean it wont have bugs or stability issues. Look at 4.0.1...if 4.0.3 wasn't available from custom roms i would have thrown the Gnex out of the window...

I think if you read my post you'll find nowhere where I say the phone is better because it is more expensive or newer. I made the reasons clear above.

The Anandtech review says the hardware is underspec'd - But underspec'd for what? Which applications are massively dependent on 1.2ghz dual core processors for now? WP7 runs on single cores just fine! Is the Quad Core Tegra 3 more powerful? Yes it is! Which would be fair if Android seemed sluggish or slow on the Galaxy Nexus, but that isn't the case.

I see no pressing reason in the next 18 months for quad core on a phone except on very high resolution displays beyond 720p, which is frankly unnecessary except on tablets.

As for what is wrong with Touchwiz? I'm aware this is subjective but looking at Touchwiz on a GS2 compared to Holo on ICS 4.0 - The look and feel is worlds away. I'll give some credit to Samsung for not overdoing it on the tablets, but they have still replaced all the stock icons with some really ugly stuff and the choice of colours is garish. The functionality of Touchwiz itself is fine, but the design really is some kind of bastard iOS/Android lovechild.

As for what's wrong with rooting? Nothing really. Except that in a lot of cases unless you have a lot of spare time it's actually a frustrating experience. In previous versions of Android I've felt the need to root to get some kind of missing functionality or theme-ing that wasn't present in stock. I've rooted the HTC Hero, Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and frankly I reached the point where I was bored of Titanium and Nandroid backups and roms that simply would bug out or cause system applications to crash at crucial moments.

People generally root for 4 reasons:

1: Updates that carriers/oems are either unwilling or slow to provide
2: To add functionality missing from their device
3: To theme their device
4: Fun

I think the Galaxy Nexus even as a developer device is the first Android phone that really doesn't need to be rooted except for fun. I know some are rooting for extra battery or speed neither of which I think are problematic on the Nexus for the majority of use cases. Some are rooting because Google have stalled the 4.03 release for further testing. I have nothing against rooting per se, but the reasons to do so have decreased significantly with every release of Android as the team have built in features previously only available in custom roms/launchers.

That's my opinion of course and I understand your reasons for dis-agreeing, but I'd be confident enough to say that if a neutral had both phones for 2 weeks the Galaxy Nexus would be their phone of choice.

Circle T

So, what's new in AndroidGAF world these days.....

{reads thread}

......yikes. Can someone please PM me when a MWC thread is up?

hodgy100

Just saying hi!

Managed to wreck my 1.5 year old 32GB SD card today :( pretty gutted considering it cost me £80 at the time. ordered a new one for £35 and its a class 10! so it will be much better than my previous class 2 (heh)

This occurred while trying to create an ext3 partition for my HTC desire for a sense 3.0 rom that didnt work well. the card just
crapped out on me and cant be mounted by anything, so now im going to restore a nandroid backup on a trust 4GB i have lying around, I hope this works....

So what's everyone waiting for nowadays? Quad-Core phone news? Exynos LTE? SGSIII? ICS Update Dates?

That's what I'm waiting for, although, i'll be sad if the wait for the SGSIII is fall again for the US.

At least give me some Tegra 3 LTE stuff...Like the HTC Edge, but there's been no mention of LTE.

Phone carriers have no business releasing a non-4G smartphone these days. Battery life will only get better, especially if manu's can nut up like motorola did with the maxx.

Really sad that sgs2 will not adopt the galaxy nexus ui for ics

If Samsung had the choice to put TouchWiz on the G-Nex, believe me they would have.

Manufacturers and Carriers love skins. It gives them the ability to try and limit what you can do with the phone while also promoting their products to make money. Otherwise I would think there's no reason. They are businesses after all.

kehs

Banned
So what's everyone waiting for nowadays? Quad-Core phone news? Exynos LTE? SGSIII? ICS Update Dates?

That's what I'm waiting for, although, i'll be sad if the wait for the SGSIII is fall again for the US.

At least give me some Tegra 3 LTE stuff...Like the HTC Edge, but there's been no mention of LTE.

Phone carriers have no business releasing a non-4G smartphone these days. Battery life will only get better, especially if manu's can nut up like motorola did with the maxx.

If Samsung had the choice to put TouchWiz on the G-Nex, believe me they would have.

Manufacturers and Carriers love skins. It gives them the ability to try and limit what you can do with the phone while also promoting their products to make money. Otherwise I would think there's no reason. They are businesses after all.

Modular devices. We're sorta there with Asus Transformer. But I want something with input/ouputs that goes from phone to TVs and everything in between.

All those things are being powered by very very similar hardware, there's no reason for physical duplicity in terms of cpu/gpu/etc. I hope, it gets down to a point where you can even modularize the radios. So it's be basically like the PC world, but miniaturized.

Al-ibn Kermit

most are games really. Worst case I could buy a cheap iPad 1 for the kids. Browsing and remote desktop are the two main things I use the iPad for - how does android fare there? I don't really have any problem with the basic safari browser, mainly frustrated by constant reloading of tabs - if I want to use it for more than basic googling, then I want something where I can keep 5-10 tabs open for reference and no reload them all the time. And a good remote desktop app that works with a mac. I currently use iTeleport which is fantastic, but I'm guessing there must be something similar for android?

My main attraction I think is the more 'live' home screen, so being able to put a few things on the home screen that otherwise I'd need to launch an app for - weather, twitter, email preview etc.

any good in-depth video reviews of tablets?
The splashtop app lets you remotely control your PC or Mac.

For web browsing, I can open ten tabs without any problem on my phone which has the same amount of ram as the transformer. It seems if I leave the browser alone for a few hours and then come back to it, it would reload the tabs when I click on them. I'm not sure if that's related to using other programs in between browsing sessions though. You could ask in the transformer thread how browsing performance is.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428370

I think anandtech makes the most in depth reviews of any site.

In comparison to a non Nexus device you'd be absolutely correct. which is exactly why I'd recommend a Galaxy Nexus over a GS2 If someone wanted to marry the guaranteed updates of iOS with the flexibility of Android.

:)

i'd recommend an iPhone, Apple is one of the hardest working devs when it comes to adding the newest Android features to their roms.

kehs

Banned
A new generation of home phone

DECT Phone: all the cutting edge DECT phone features: hands-free, intercom, caller ID, unlimited phone book...
Full-fledge Android smartphone at home: web, email, contacts, socials networks, multimedia applications, and thousands of applications downloadable from AppsLib.

http://www.archos.com/store/psearch.html?country=gb&lang=en&prod_id=archos35shp

People don't probably care about this, since it's a "home phone", but if it wasn't for the lack of google apps access I'd snap this up. I'm itching to replace a couple of our office phones with something a little informative and if this could tie with out Apps account....I'd love it.

/Fixed. ;-)

Can't wait for the Google Siri equivalent to rear its head.

why would Google want to downgrade their already existing voice recognition/command tech to be less useful for practical things and less compatible with people's voice?

http://www.archos.com/store/psearch.html?country=gb&lang=en&prod_id=archos35shp

People don't probably care about this, since it's a "home phone", but if it wasn't for the lack of google apps access I'd snap this up. I'm itching to replace a couple of our office phones with something a little informative and if this could tie with out Apps account....I'd love it.

if that thing can run Groove IP... it could be amazing!

why would Google want to downgrade their already existing voice recognition/command tech to be less useful for practical things and less compatible with people's voice?

Because Google's voice recognition is better. Even Wozniak agrees! No I'm sure that Google will make it an open API for all developers to use, which would really extend what voice actions can do, far beyond Siri's somewhat limited applications.

If Sony were to release to the next Google phone I'd be in. The audio quality on some of the Sony phones is almost as good as my Cowon MP3 player. Which is why it breaks my heart to see them so behind the curve.

A 2012 Android 5.0 5 inch Google Device by Sony is the meal ticket.

Samsung's Galaxy S series and the Tuna have extremely good audio quality.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The Galaxy Note just had a ROM update. The second one this week.

:p

Note owners, flash KL4. Its the smoothest version yet.

Sweet merciful jesus I hope thats a joke.

Nope. Haven't you ever watched TNG? Siri style voice recognition is the future. I'm not necessarily meaning on a phone but in Android applications elsewhere such as home automation, TV's, PC's etc.

I want to come in and tell my TV to select sky sports 1 in one half of the screen and the bbc website in the other half. Without picking up a remote control. Seriously the applications are endless.

kehs

Banned
Voice Actions actually have an intent that apps can leverage, not sure if it's just limited to "Listen to" though.

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/09/supporting-new-music-voice-action.html

Yeah that is pretty cool isn't it? Shame the 'listen to' option is not available in the UK. It's definitely a start. Apple did a Google. They released Siri half baked and its lost its buzz. Google have a chance to really knock voice to the next level. The other thing I'd like is an active listening mode where you can constantly have it listening for commands in the background rather than having to press a button (I know this would suck up lots of power which is why it'd probably be best to use it only when the device is plugged into a charger of some kind). I've got my Xoom hooked up to my Hi-Fi and it'd be cool to play songs without having to switch on voice search. If I could come home and just say 'listen to radiohead' and it worked It would be amazing.

One of the reasons Apple pulled a Google was to gain data, which is very useful if you really want to knock voice recognition out of the park; can Google really hit a home-run without gathering large amounts of data?

Android Voice Actions doesn't gather data and learn over time like Siri, does it?

SimleuqiR

One of the reasons Apple pulled a Google was to gain data, which is very useful if you really want to knock voice recognition out of the park; can Google really hit a home-run without gathering large amounts of data?

Android Voice Actions doesn't gather data and learn over time like Siri, does it?

Google Voice?

kehs

Banned
Yeah that is pretty cool isn't it? Shame the 'listen to' option is not available in the UK. It's definitely a start. Apple did a Google. They released Siri half baked and its lost its buzz. Google have a chance to really knock voice to the next level. The other thing I'd like is an active listening mode where you can constantly have it listening for commands in the background rather than having to press a button (I know this would suck up lots of power which is why it'd probably be best to use it only when the device is plugged into a charger of some kind). I've got my Xoom hooked up to my Hi-Fi and it'd be cool to play songs without having to switch on voice search. If I could come home and just say 'listen to radiohead' and it worked It would be amazing.

It's weird, I like the idea of voice control, but I can't get into it when I use it for some reason.

Everything you interact with that goes through google server gets used for data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom