• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i heard that gs1 phones in particular have the best DACs in them

The original Galaxy S has a semi-legendary Wolfson DAC. People say it was the best smartphone of all time in terms of audio quality. The GSII and Tuna don't quite live up to that legend but they both rank as having some of the best audio quality around, and the entire Galaxy S family are generally acknowledged to have better audio quality than the iPhones.

-PXG-

posting from splashtop....this is amazing.

Just got it too. Holy shit.

Motherfuckin technology!

EDIT

No matter what I do, I CANNOT install Nova Launcher. I keep on getting the parse error whenever I try opening the .adk. And yes, my phone is rooted.

Using Voice Actions is pretty hit and miss. I've never managed to get it to play any music(just does a google search) and for my girlfriend it always does a search on google as well. Really strange too because it's a perfect recognition of her name which is not a very common name and has a hyphen in the surname, but still just a google search.

datamage

The original Galaxy S has a semi-legendary Wolfson DAC. People say it was the best smartphone of all time in terms of audio quality. The GSII and Tuna don't quite live up to that legend but they both rank as having some of the best audio quality around, and the entire Galaxy S family are generally acknowledged to have better audio quality than the iPhones.

Can't speak for the Nexus, but this is entirely false. The GSII is known to have a sub-par Yamaha DAC, and you can find numerous complaints on its audio quality (when using the headphone jack with no amp). I switched from an iPhone 4 to a GSII, and the audio difference was significant. (Not for the better.) I like my GSII, but the audio output is my biggest gripe with it.

Thankfully, Supercurio (maker of Voodoo Sound), made this app. Which amplifies the output by up to 6dB. That app, plus some EQ'ing, provides you with better sound, but still not as good as the iPhone 4 I had.

iavi

Just got it too. Holy shit.

Motherfuckin technology!

EDIT

No matter what I do, I CANNOT install Nova Launcher. I keep on getting the parse error whenever I try opening the .adk. And yes, my phone is rooted.

You guys are killing me. I wonder if only the Nvidia peeps will get the benefits of that client they showed off at CES--the one running skyrim laglessly--or if they'll match it to all comparable socs. They did say something about it being N optimized.

rozay

Banned
Can't speak for the Nexus, but this is entirely false. The GSII is known to have a sub-par Yamaha DAC, and you can find numerous complaints on its audio quality (when using the headphone jack with no amp). I switched from an iPhone 4 to a GSII, and the audio difference was significant. (Not for the better.) I like my GSII, but the audio output is my biggest gripe with it.

Thankfully, Supercurio (maker of Voodoo Sound), made this app. Which amplifies the output by up to 6dB. That app, plus some EQ'ing, provides you with better sound, but still not as good as the iPhone 4 I had.
The nexus has a really clean output and supercurio will be making voodoo sound for it, which is a huge plus.

JCX

I've been using voice commands on my android phones for a while, which is why I didn't get the big deal about siri. I mostly use "listen to, navigate to, and search for". Wish there was an easy one for text messaging.

remz

I've been using voice commands on my android phones for a while, which is why I didn't get the big deal about siri. I mostly use "listen to, navigate to, and search for". Wish there was an easy one for text messaging.

try saying SMS *name* *message* Know it works with a galaxy S on ICS

Just blew your mind.

Jake.

have had my galaxy s2 for about 4 months or so now, has been perfect...until now.

in the last week or so, my battery has started to suck big time. it is completely drained within 8hrs max, whereas before i would get around 16hrs or so with the exactly the same use (i.e. hardly any use whatsoever).

the phone isn't rooted, i upgraded to the newest firmware that my provider has (i live in australia, so its 2.3.6) and i have not installed any new apps since this problem started. gps and wifi is always turned off.

any ideas? i have googled and it seems to be a pretty common problem (battery was fine for months, then drains rapidly), but with no fix.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
have had my galaxy s2 for about 4 months or so now, has been perfect...until now.

in the last week or so, my battery has started to suck big time. it is completely drained within 8hrs max, whereas before i would get around 16hrs or so with the exactly the same use (i.e. hardly any use whatsoever).

the phone isn't rooted, i upgraded to the newest firmware that my provider has (i live in australia, so its 2.3.6) and i have not installed any new apps since this problem started. gps and wifi is always turned off.

any ideas? i have googled and it seems to be a pretty common problem (battery was fine for months, then drains rapidly), but with no fix.

Sounds like the Android OS bug. Go to settings --> About phone --> Battery Usage. What is the Android OS percentage?

Threi

notag

Read the post you quoted again.

tokkun

I tried asking this in the app thread, but got no response:

Is there a music player app for Android that uses the "Album Artist" tag for navigating artists?

SimleuqiR

But are the Nexus devices really that huge in terms of profit and sales?

Directly? No. But it would definitely help their brand.
But I think we need to wait a bit longer to see how really successful the Tuna is, since it seems Google is trying to make sure the phone is available on most carriers, in a timely matter. Having it on Verizon will surely help.

I know a Sony Ericsson Nexus would get tons of press, hype and attention. More so than another Samsung device.

Sarcasm

Has voice call capabilities, might just get one when it comes out. No more need to carry a phone and a tablet.

Same reason for me, but I hear it is getting ICS.

Thing is I can get it cheap if I do a shitty cellphone + it.

A sumsung gio or something, which would never get use since I"d put the sim card in the 7.7.

Deal is around 300 USD.

43397.png

should've put a snapdragon in the nexus

This isn't the snapdragon version is it?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is there a new 4.0 styles Market? It appeared for a few hours yesterday, now I am back to the same one as before.

Ashhong

I've been debating grabbing this for a while now. How's the lag?

There is a little lag, but entirely usable. I wasn't sitting around waiting for it. But then, I was using it from only 30 feet away. I was even able to stream a 1080P video that I made with my S2 just fine

Nah, man. When it comes to Remote Computing, it's all about TeamViewer. Works great, even behind the toughest (work/school) firewalls.

Well I got SplashTop for free through Amazon, so that trumps all :D

edit: I see thats free too, thats cool.

Husker86

I've been trying Splashtop since I got it for free. I prefer it to Teamviewer when I'm on the same WiFi network as my PC...but when I'm out of the house it is much slower than Teamviewer.

So, has anyone tried setting up an online connection with Splashtop via a 2-step verification google account? It worked when I disabled the verification but obviously I don't want to do that. Application specific passwords work on one end (my computer) but don't seem to do the job on the remote application. What gives?

Edit: And suddenly it works when I did the application specific process on my phone and copy pasted it directly from there into the app.

So what's the best place to buy phones out of contract? I could have sworn t-mobile was selling the S2 unsubidized but it's gone from their site now and they said they only sell it as part of a new 2 yr contract. Is there somewhere better than newegg? It's more money to get an unlocked there.

Edit: Newegg phones don't use t-mobile's 3g bands. So stupid. How much worse is the regular galaxy S?

Husker86

So what's the best place to buy phones out of contract? I could have sworn t-mobile was selling the S2 unsubidized but it's gone from their site now and they said they only sell it as part of a new 2 yr contract. Is there somewhere better than newegg? It's more money to get an unlocked there.

Edit: Newegg phones don't use t-mobile's 3g bands. So stupid. How much worse is the regular galaxy S?

I don't know where to get them since I've never been out of my CDMA walled garden (except for a short time) but if you were considering the Galaxy S2 don't get the original Galaxy S.

kehs

Banned

If you buy unlocked, don't buy a carrrier phone full price. Get a phone straight from mfg.

Expansys, Negri, Newegg. They sell phones that aren't tied to carriers. So if you are looking at the GS2, look at the international versiob which is the i777 I think.

If you buy unlocked, don't buy a carrrier phone full price. Get a phone straight from mfg.

Expansys, Negri, Newegg. They sell phones that aren't tied to carriers. So if you are looking at the GS2, look at the international versiob which is the i777 I think.

How? GS2 and all them unlocked on newegg only support ATT bands. The biggest problem is finding unlocked that is able to use T-mobile's bands.

kehs

Banned
Oops, you're right, that was a brain fart.

There are a lot of tmo compatible phones, just look for the right radio bands....I cant remember them at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom