• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or is the samsung exhibit II shit also? I just only know nexus and SII from everyone mentioning them but I can't find them in T-mobile bands. I'm not sure what to look for now.

Edit: They must have only recently stopped selling out of contract since I remember adding it to my cart when I was out of the country for $529.99 no problems. So frustrating.

Edit2: Wait, is this shit true? http://androidcommunity.com/t-mobile-rolling-out-new-3g-bands-20111220/ That would eliminate all my problems if they do allow for 1900 now...

Ashhong

So, has anyone tried setting up an online connection with Splashtop via a 2-step verification google account? It worked when I disabled the verification but obviously I don't want to do that. Application specific passwords work on one end (my computer) but don't seem to do the job on the remote application. What gives?

Edit: And suddenly it works when I did the application specific process on my phone and copy pasted it directly from there into the app.

God I hate that 2 step crap. Used it for a while then decided its just not worth the hassle.

Or is the samsung exhibit II shit also? I just only know nexus and SII from everyone mentioning them but I can't find them in T-mobile bands. I'm not sure what to look for now.

Edit: They must have only recently stopped selling out of contract since I remember adding it to my cart when I was out of the country for $529.99 no problems. So frustrating.

Edit2: Wait, is this shit true? http://androidcommunity.com/t-mobile...ands-20111220/ That would eliminate all my problems if they do allow for 1900 now...

Here you go. 600$ no tax

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SY5AF8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

kehs

Banned

Edit2: Wait, is this shit true? http://androidcommunity.com/t-mobile-rolling-out-new-3g-bands-20111220/ That would eliminate all my problems if they do allow for 1900 now...

T-mo is rolling att band 3g but only in some areas.

T-mo is rolling att band 3g but only in some areas.

Have they announced where or is it literally that vague of "somewhere"?

God I hate that 2 step crap. Used it for a while then decided its just not worth the hassle.

Here you go. 600$ no tax

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SY5AF8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hmm, tempting but that's not much cheaper than a nexus then. Wonder if I should just grab the SII or see if I can get a nexus like that...

Ashhong

Not much more than the price from T-mobile depending on tax in your area...

Does the Nexus support T-mobile 3G bands? And no, they have not announced anything about where they are updating the bands. Pretty much "somewhere".

Some people will say the Nexus is better, some the GS2. All depends on if the Google updates are worth it to you, or if you can be satisfied using custom ROMs.

kehs

Banned
Have they announced where or is it literally that vague of "somewhere"?

Hmm, tempting but that's not much cheaper than a nexus then. Wonder if I should just grab the SII or see if I can get a nexus like that...

Vague.

I have no info on anything but between three diferrent us based retailers selling the galaxy nexus for under 600 I think US based sales of the GSM model will start soon at the same price point as the n1 and the nexus s (530).

iavi

There is a little lag, but entirely usable. I wasn't sitting around waiting for it. But then, I was using it from only 30 feet away. I was even able to stream a 1080P video that I made with my S2 just fine

Good to hear. I couldn't find any demo vids on youtube, so I've been a bit skeptical.

Not much more than the price from T-mobile depending on tax in your area...

Does the Nexus support T-mobile 3G bands? And no, they have not announced anything about where they are updating the bands. Pretty much "somewhere".

Some people will say the Nexus is better, some the GS2. All depends on if the Google updates are worth it to you, or if you can be satisfied using custom ROMs.

Didn't preorders just start the other day for nexus on att and t-mobile or did I mishear? I keep forgetting about tax too, you have a good point.

Vague.

I have no info on anything but between three diferrent us based retailers selling the galaxy nexus for under 600 I think US based sales of the GSM model will start soon at the same price point as the n1 and the nexus s (530).

Hmm. Still tempted between SII and nexus. Both seem to have it's advantages.

Circle T

If you buy unlocked, don't buy a carrrier phone full price. Get a phone straight from mfg.

Expansys, Negri, Newegg. They sell phones that aren't tied to carriers. So if you are looking at the GS2, look at the international versiob which is the i777 I think.

Intl: GT-i9100
AT&T: SGH-i777
T-Mo: SGH-T989
Sprint: SPH-D710

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Hey guys, any news and rumours regarding the next iteration of galaxy s from samsung? I'm really looking forward to it, considering how great the SII was.

I'm really trying to decide if it is worth switching plans to Sprint. For the Everything Data 450 plan, I would be paying about $64/mo pre-tax after the 4G upcharge. Then I get an extra $100 rebate on some devices - one of which being the Galaxy S2. I would be $99 after rebate instead of $199. I would also get about $75 for turning in my current phone through their phone for cash program - the G2X.

However, I'm on T-Mobile right now on one of their Value plans. I just renewed that contract a few months ago so the cancellation fee will be murder I'm sure. I'm also not even sure how the device will be handled since it is a value plan - do I have to give it back or what. I pay about $65/mo for that plan after taxes for 500 min or whatever, unlimited texts, but 2GB of high speed data. I do notice I have to watch myself sometimes with that 2GB high speed cutoff.

Not sure what I should do - look into it more or just wait and sit tight to see what happens by holiday season this year...

Didn't preorders just start the other day for nexus on att and t-mobile or did I mishear? I keep forgetting about tax too, you have a good point.

Hmm. Still tempted between SII and nexus. Both seem to have it's advantages.
I'd get the Nexus either way, but especially if you're looking for an unlocked device to use on T-Mobile.

The international SII doesn't support T-Mobile 3G but the international Nexus does.

wanders

Damn, have you guys seen the Chinese tablets recently? They're stepping up their game:

http://tabletrepublic.com/forum/novo-7-elf/ainol-novo-7-elf-specs-images-video-539.html

Ainol Novo 7 Elf Specs:
Model: Ainol Novo 7 Elf
CPU: Allwinner A10 1.2GHz (Boxchip A10)
Screen: 1024 X 600 pixels
RAM: DDR3 1GB RAM
Cam: Front 2.0MP
Battery: 3.7V, 3700mAh
Wifi: 802.11b/g/n
Ports: mini USB, AC, HDMI, Headphone, SD card
Buttons: Power / Volume + / Volume -

And the best part? Its only ~$150!

I was ganna pick up their discontinued model that goes for a bill but there seems to be some compatibility problems because of its mips cpu.

Is there anyway to open a 7zip and extract specific files? I want extract a few files from the AVS calibration disc and don't want to hook up my computer to do so(packed away in closest).

Only 200? How long have you had the contract for?

It really depends on how long its been. I would just dial 611 and ask them, they will let you know
Yup $200. However, since it is a value plan, I would also be responsible for the balance on the phone. Which right now totals $255.

I'd almost rather sell it, recover some of that balance and just pay the balance up front, keep the contract and probably increase the data to either 5GB or 10GB, then buy that global Galaxy Nexus. I'm pretty sure the monthly charge then would be slightly less or the same as the Sprint plan.

For the people using the Nexus on Tmobile, it definitely works on their "4G" network?

Through Amazon since it is like new, seems like I would get at least $110 for it with Amazon's electronic buyback program. Don't know what my luck on Craigslist or something would be, though.

kehs

Banned
Yup $200. However, since it is a value plan, I would also be responsible for the balance on the phone. Which right now totals $255.

I'd almost rather sell it, recover some of that balance and just pay the balance up front, keep the contract and probably increase the data to either 5GB or 10GB, then buy that global Galaxy Nexus. I'm pretty sure the monthly charge then would be slightly less or the same as the Sprint plan.

For the people using the Nexus on Tmobile, it definitely works on their "4G" network?

Through Amazon since it is like new, seems like I would get at least $110 for it with Amazon's electronic buyback program. Don't know what my luck on Craigslist or something would be, though.

Speed test show like 7 megs, meh. I does connect to HSPA+ though, that's no question about it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone here with a G2x? Is there an ICS ROM for it? Recommendation?

Anyone here with a G2x? Is there an ICS ROM for it? Recommendation?
G2X user here. There does not appear to be any ICS ROMs available for it yet. I've heard it is an Nvidia issue because Tegra drivers aren't readily available for it. That's the main hangup.

I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see an ICS custom ROM until after LG pushes the update themselves later this year.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I see, thanks. What ROM are you currently using?

I see, thanks. What ROM are you currently using?
Actually just non-rooted stock. I bricked my first G2X (luckily within the 14 day return policy) and got a free replacement. Haven't messed with it since.

I'm thinking of at least rooting while keeping a standard Gingerbread ROM to hold me over once I implement a better root and ROM install method that doesn't randomly brick the phone. Used the super one click and Clockwork method the first time and got into some trouble.

tokkun

I heard you guys mention this previously, but I'm confused. Google Music sorts multi-artist albums just fine for me. What am I missing?

I don't have a problem when sorting by Album. The problem I have is that I want to browse artists by the Album Artist tag rather than the Artist tag. The reason is that when you add a lot of music that has featured artists on each track, it really rapidly shits up your ability to browse by artist.

For example, for the album Below the Heavens by Blu & Exile, I have these entries added to my Artists:

Blu (10 songs)
Blu & Exile (2 songs)
Blu/Miguel Jontel (2 songs)
Blu/Aloe Blacc (1 song)
Blu/Taraach (1 song)

On my Zune, however, all 16 tracks show up under Blu & Exile when browsing by artist, because it uses the Album Artist tag. I can see why some people might want to browse by track Artist, but I have yet to find an Android media player that even gives me the option to browse by Album Artist instead, including PowerAmp.

It seems like the best alternative is just to organize my music folders and use a player that lets me browse by folder.

Al-ibn Kermit

I'm really trying to decide if it is worth switching plans to Sprint. For the Everything Data 450 plan, I would be paying about $64/mo pre-tax after the 4G upcharge. Then I get an extra $100 rebate on some devices - one of which being the Galaxy S2. I would be $99 after rebate instead of $199. I would also get about $75 for turning in my current phone through their phone for cash program - the G2X.

However, I'm on T-Mobile right now on one of their Value plans. I just renewed that contract a few months ago so the cancellation fee will be murder I'm sure. I'm also not even sure how the device will be handled since it is a value plan - do I have to give it back or what. I pay about $65/mo for that plan after taxes for 500 min or whatever, unlimited texts, but 2GB of high speed data. I do notice I have to watch myself sometimes with that 2GB high speed cutoff.

Not sure what I should do - look into it more or just wait and sit tight to see what happens by holiday season this year...
If you decide to switch, the smarter thing to do would be to buy online through amazon wireless or wirefly. The price of the plan is the same but the phones are more subsidized.

If you decide to switch, the smarter thing to do would be to buy online through amazon wireless or wirefly. The price of the plan is the same but the phones are more subsidized.
I doubt I'd be able to take advantage of my employee benefits, though. Unless the phones are so much cheaper that it makes up for the extra rebate I would get. Then I guess I would have to call Sprint later on to activate my 23% discount - which I'm not sure if they would do that.

Husker86

I doubt I'd be able to take advantage of my employee benefits, though. Unless the phones are so much cheaper that it makes up for the extra rebate I would get. Then I guess I would have to call Sprint later on to activate my 23% discount - which I'm not sure if they would do that.

You can add your discount at a later time. Also, your employee discount will not apply to the phone itself (only accessories) so you are losing nothing going through someone else. If you have an email address for your work you can add the discount online, if not you just have to go into a store. Here is the downside. Adding a discount signs you up for a 2-year contract independent from the phone purchase. Not bad unless you decide to return your phone and leave within 30 days; if you've already added the discount, you will still be under contract even after returning the phone. This is a Sprint thing, I went through it before.

Al-ibn Kermit

As Husker said, after you get your phone you would call the activation number and activate it. Then you just take it to the nearest sprint store to get the employee discount added to your account.

I believe that if you take the phone to the sprint store and activate it with the store rep, they will actually charge you an additional activation fee so make sure you activate it before you get to the store.

zoku88

G2X user here. There does not appear to be any ICS ROMs available for it yet. I've heard it is an Nvidia issue because Tegra drivers aren't readily available for it. That's the main hangup.

I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see an ICS custom ROM until after LG pushes the update themselves later this year.

They actually got past that issue. There's just no public repos for and ics builds, yet. Theres a link on xda for an alpha build, though.

They did get HW acceleration, though.

You can add your discount at a later time. Also, your employee discount will not apply to the phone itself (only accessories) so you are losing nothing going through someone else. If you have an email address for your work you can add the discount online, if not you just have to go into a store. Here is the downside. Adding a discount signs you up for a 2-year contract independent from the phone purchase. Not bad unless you decide to return your phone and leave within 30 days; if you've already added the discount, you will still be under contract even after returning the phone. This is a Sprint thing, I went through it before.
Right now I get an additional $100 off on certain devices through the employee discount. Notably the GS II. But yeah, if I go for a Galaxy Nexus your scenario applies.

Given my T-Mobile plan it almost seems like I'm better off just getting a Galaxy Nexus while selling my G2X and applying the money from that G2X to pay down the installments through the Value plan and keeping the T-Mobile plan altogether.

Really bad decision getting that Value plan with T-Mobile because it really locks you down more than a normal contract. Smartest action it would seem for me is to just wait I guess. The situation is a bit complicated.

MrBig

For Divvy and anyone else that has a Thinkpad - root was achieved today by the guys working together in the thinkpad irc channel and is going to be detailed soon.
Hopefully someone works on a custom ICS rom to bypass lenovo's inevitably terrible rendition of it.

Really bad decision getting that Value plan with T-Mobile because it really locks you down more than a normal contract. Smartest action it would seem for me is to just wait I guess. The situation is a bit complicated.

I'm on a family plan under by brother and we recently moved to T-Mobile from at&t. He of course was pulled in by the value plan and the whole time I was telling him it was a trap but he didn't listen.

While I'm here I have a question:

When everyone says that rooting your phone "voids your warranty" they are talking about the manufacturer warranty right? I'm paying for the monthly insurance, which is insurance and can't get voided...right? I guess this is more of a question for tmobile but I hate talking them.

Ashhong

Is value plan the one where the monthly bill is cheaper but you don't get subsidized phones? That's what my bro has us all on and its terrible. I even called to ask about our options of starting a new contract, and we cant even sign up for a regular plan and ever get subsidized phones. Awesome.

I would assume rooting would even void the t-mobile warranty, but that's just a guess. Most roots can be completely undone though.

Is value plan the one where the monthly bill is cheaper but you don't get subsidized phones? That's what my bro has us all on and its terrible. I even called to ask about our options of starting a new contract, and we cant even sign up for a regular plan and ever get subsidized phones. Awesome.

I would assume rooting would even void the t-mobile warranty, but that's just a guess. Most roots can be completely undone though.

Yeah that's the value plan for you....

sigh..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom