• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
I gotta say, this ICS on the GN is amazing. When 50% of android users get it by august of this year they will be amazed at how smooth it is.

gimmmick

I'm having an issue with go sms pro right now. It's been lately erasing my text messages to some contacts. Is there any fix to this problem?

I gotta say, this ICS on the GN is amazing. When 50% of android users get it by august of this year they will be amazed at how smooth it is.

The best part is because we are Tuna owners, right about when everyone else is getting ICS, we'll be looking forward to the next version of Android!

Yeah that's the value plan for you....

sigh..
Yeah I was basically caught off guard and in a pinch because my Nexus One crapped out a few months before my contract was up.

The plan is ok if you don't intend on switching, but it gets you if something comes up and you want to move to something better. The effect is minimize though if you can sell your phone for a good price.

Shiggy

tech_samsung_galaxy_s3_leak.jpg

So that's supposed to be the Samsung Galaxy S3?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NxJloZ1Rq0E#t=431s

Shiggy

[Nintex];34476577 said:
It's the Galaxy SII HD.

Meh. I want them to show the S3. If the Galaxy SII hadn't seen a 100€ price jump after Christmas, I would've bought that one already.

Edit: Are you sure? I think the screen on this device is larger and the phone doesn't have a Samsung logo on the front.

Emily Chu

Banned
coming from a Droid X rooted custom CM7 GB ROM

Should I get a Galaxy Nexus now or wait for the SGIII ?

this is with verizon unlimited data Granddaddy plan.

I would wait for the S3. Definitely looking like it will be a beast. All Nexus has going for it is ICS, which will eventually be released on many phones.

I have some kind of memory leak problem with my Galaxy S. Often after using the browser or when lots of apps are open at once, the phone slows to a crawl and sometimes eventually locks up altogether and I have to take the battery out to restart it. I have a program on the home screen called 'fast reboot' which closes every opened program and that sorts it in the short run but tbh I'm sick of it. Happens at least twice a day. Would flashing the phone fix the problem or is it a problem with the phone itself that will always be there?

Also, If I put custom firmware on it do I lose EVERYTHING? Contacts, message history, all my apps etc?

Al-ibn Kermit

I would wait, the sgs3 is going to be a lot more powerful than the nexus but the problem is you have no idea when the gs3 will even come to the US.

I would at least wait until mobile world congress five weeks from now to see what kind of release date Samsung gives for the US.

Angst

Also, If I put custom firmware on it do I lose EVERYTHING? Contacts, message history, all my apps etc?

Contacts - no, not if you're syncing them with gmail
Message history - yes. Unless you back them up (GO SMS for example does SMS backup)
Apps - yep. Although some will download automatically (YMMV) and most saves will still be there (provided you don't format your SD card).

Man the upgrade bug is dangerous. I got an HTC Inspire 4G 6 months ago and it's already looking old-hat next to the Nexuses. Doesn't help that it's been freezing and crashing on me randomly.

kinggroin

Banned

Not sure what a higher spec phone will really give you at this point. The GN is incredibly smooth running with the best builds of ICS (official or otherwise) around. Hell, I've resorted to severely underclocking it by 500mhz to conserve more battery and its still the smoothest android experience out there (GS2 and touchwiz gingerbread is an automatic pass for me).

Unless there is an explosion of high end gaming on android or a massive screen res increase, I don't see the point in having super phone specs for ICS.

All that said, I'd wait till mobile world before deciding.

Contacts - no, not if you're syncing them with gmail
Message history - yes. Unless you back them up (GO SMS for example does SMS backup)
Apps - yep. Although some will download automatically (YMMV) and most saves will still be there (provided you don't format your SD card).

Thanks. Another question. I'll still be able to download my apps again right? 'cos they're tied to my google account.

Ashhong

I have some kind of memory leak problem with my Galaxy S. Often after using the browser or when lots of apps are open at once, the phone slows to a crawl and sometimes eventually locks up altogether and I have to take the battery out to restart it. I have a program on the home screen called 'fast reboot' which closes every opened program and that sorts it in the short run but tbh I'm sick of it. Happens at least twice a day. Would flashing the phone fix the problem or is it a problem with the phone itself that will always be there?

There are apps that will backup everything you listed.

Titanium Backup Pro - Apps
Google Sync (not an app) - Contacts, calendar
SMS Backup or Go SMS (my favorite) - Texts

those 3 is the exact method I use to restore my apps when trying new roms.

Nanoid backup to come back to my previous setup if the new rom is buggy.

So far I think only 1 rom is worth using on the Gnex, AOKP milesstone 2 and Franco kernal.

The other roms been buggy for me.

Ashhong

Thanks. Another question. I'll still be able to download my apps again right? 'cos they're tied to my google account.

Yes you will, but if you just use Titanium you wont even have to. Though you have to pay (probably).

those 3 is the exact method I use to restore my apps when trying new roms.

Nanoid backup to come back to my previous setup if the new rom is buggy.

So far I think only 1 rom is worth using on the Gnex, AOKP milesstone 2 and Franco kernal.

The other roms been buggy for me.

Yup, can't forget that nandroid. I do those steps everytime. Makes flashing new things so easy.

Is there something special I have to do with Google Sync? For some reason it wouldn't sync my contacts unless I did it manually. (which made me lose countless contacts I thought were saved already)

And I use Google Voice for texts. <3 Sprint.

Ashhong

Is there something special I have to do with Google Sync? For some reason it wouldn't sync my contacts unless I did it manually. (which made me lose countless contacts I thought were saved already)

And I use Google Voice for texts. <3 Sprint.

uhhhh I believe just settings -> accounts and sync. have auto-sync on

I hate google voice as my main source of texts. Makes multiple conversations in the inbox with the same person. Even loses my texts sometimes and I don't get them at all.

jokkir

When switching to a custom ROM, is the battery performance usually better than sticking to the stock ROM? I want to switch to the AOSP+ ROM on my Nexus S but afraid my battery life will be even worse than before.

Thinking of getting the Motorola Xoom WiFi for £250 but heard there are alot of problems with it since it launched.

Have the problems been sorted out at all ?

Yoshiya

Thinking of getting the Motorola Xoom WiFi for £250 but heard there are alot of problems with it since it launched.

It's ancient in tech years at this point. 250 pounds is a lot, how much does the Transformer Prime or iPad 2 go for in comparison?

Ronok

I'm up for an upgrade in March and I was wondering what phone you guys would suggest. I know about SII and GN, but is there anything else I should be considering? How far out is the S3?

I'm not in too much of a rush to make a decision, like I said, this isn't until march, but it would be nice to get some advice.

kinggroin

Banned

Its solidly built, but fairly heavy. Crappy screen too.

With ICS, its pretty decent performance wise. Eh...I wouldn't pay more tan $200 today.

Menelaus

Banned

Gnex. Then you get to enjoy Jelly Bean with the cool kids this fall.

Plus that grandfathered data plan of yours will magically turn into unlimited 4g.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Anyone have any recommendations for cheapy 10" ICS tablets, if such things exist? Seems to be a whole load of decent quality Chinese 7" ICS tablets out or coming soon, but 10" seems a bit trickier.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone have any recommendations for cheapy 10" ICS tablets, if such things exist? Seems to be a whole load of decent quality Chinese 7" ICS tablets out or coming soon, but 10" seems a bit trickier.

TouchPad.

JonnyBrad

I don't have a problem when sorting by Album. The problem I have is that I want to browse artists by the Album Artist tag rather than the Artist tag. The reason is that when you add a lot of music that has featured artists on each track, it really rapidly shits up your ability to browse by artist.

For example, for the album Below the Heavens by Blu & Exile, I have these entries added to my Artists:

Blu (10 songs)
Blu & Exile (2 songs)
Blu/Miguel Jontel (2 songs)
Blu/Aloe Blacc (1 song)
Blu/Taraach (1 song)

On my Zune, however, all 16 tracks show up under Blu & Exile when browsing by artist, because it uses the Album Artist tag. I can see why some people might want to browse by track Artist, but I have yet to find an Android media player that even gives me the option to browse by Album Artist instead, including PowerAmp.

It seems like the best alternative is just to organize my music folders and use a player that lets me browse by folder.

Player Pro, it allows you to browse by album artist. Its the only one i found. I can't believe they haven't fixed this yet. Its like gmail zoom thing. 3 years of people moaning and they just ignore it.

tokkun

Player Pro, it allows you to browse by album artist. Its the only one i found. I can't believe they haven't fixed this yet. Its like gmail zoom thing. 3 years of people moaning and they just ignore it.

This is the closest one I've found to what I'm looking for, but it still has 2 big problems.

First, when browsing by Artist with the "Show Only Album Artist enabled", if you select an album it will only show you the tracks from that album where the track artist matches the album artist tag.

So in my Blu & Exile example, the program now only shows "Blu & Exile" under artists, but if I select them and then select the album "Below the Heaven" it only shows me the 2 tracks that were tagged with "Blu & Exile" rather than the whole album. In fact it's not possible to play any of the other tracks from that album using the Artists category.

The second problem is that for some albums it does not seem to properly obey the Album Artist tag and instead randomly choose one of the track artists. Both of my Daft Punk albums are separately listed under different track artists rather than "Daft Punk". It does only show one entry for the album, but it's under the wrong artist.

JonnyBrad

This is the closest one I've found to what I'm looking for, but it still has 2 big problems.

First, when browsing by Artist with the "Show Only Album Artist enabled", if you select an album it will only show you the tracks from that album where the track artist matches the album artist tag.

So in my Blu & Exile example, the program now only shows "Blu & Exile" under artists, but if I select them and then select the album "Below the Heaven" it only shows me the 2 tracks that were tagged with "Blu & Exile" rather than the whole album. In fact it's not possible to play any of the other tracks from that album using the Artists category.

The second problem is that for some albums it does not seem to properly obey the Album Artist tag and instead randomly choose one of the track artists. Both of my Daft Punk albums are separately listed under different track artists rather than "Daft Punk". It does only show one entry for the album, but it's under the wrong artist.

Not sure about the first part. However the second part is a bug in the android media scanner. Which they were supposed to have fixed in ICS, and didn't. (Player pro uses the stock scanner)

There is a thread on the poweramp forum asking him to implement album artist sort which should be possible as he now uses his own media scanner.

I gave up waiting and bought an iphone however.

rozay

Banned

Did you try poweramp

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Japanese carrier KDDI is putting ads in the notification bar on Android phones:

1-23-20112j0w.jpg

Imagine you're walking down the block when, suddenly, your phone goes off. You take it out of your pocket, unlock that sucker and pull down the notification bar to reveal... an ad! The idea of such a travesty is enough to make our blood (which is primarily just liquid caffeine and taurine at this point) boil. Disturbingly enough though, this isn't some terrifying dystopian Android future -- this is the reality for at least some KDDI au customers. The Japanese carrier bundles the au one Market on many of its handsets as an alternative to the standard Google offering, and a recent update to the third party app outlet has it sending ads as push notifications to users. It's similar to Airpush, a service that offers both push notifications and ads as homescreen icons, which suffered a serious backlash shortly after launching. Of course, the carrier market can't be removed (at least not without a little bit of hackery) which makes this a practically unforgivable offense. Oh, and a quick message to any American carriers considering a similar move: don't even think about it.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/23/kddi-putting-ads-in-the-notification-bar-on-android-phones/

ruh-roh

This. Is. Amazing.

KDDI putting ads in the notification bar on Android phones

7zIFl.jpg

Imagine you're walking down the block when, suddenly, your phone goes off. You take it out of your pocket, unlock that sucker and pull down the notification bar to reveal... an ad! The idea of such a travesty is enough to make our blood (which is primarily just liquid caffeine and taurine at this point) boil. Disturbingly enough though, this isn't some terrifying dystopian Android future -- this is the reality for at least some KDDI au customers. The Japanese carrier bundles the au one Market on many of its handsets as an alternative to the standard Google offering, and a recent update to the third party app outlet has it sending ads as push notifications to users.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/23/kddi-putting-ads-in-the-notification-bar-on-android-phones/

Oozer3993

I highly doubt it.

It's heavy and a tad bulky, but most problems it had were software and those have been fixed. It's an excellent tablet right now with the ICS update. And the screen is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom