• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://pocketnow.com/android/lg-cx2-the-optimus-3d-2-revealed-images

sm8Cs.jpg

What's with all these ICS phones having buttons? Waste of space.

Conception and design for these products probably preceded any knowledge of the Galaxy Nexus design whatsoever. It's not like these companies saw the GN, pooh-poohed it then designed/built/advertised these phones in such a short period of time.

The GN's only been out for a little over a month, and 4.0 source code only a few weeks before that... give it some time.

Pachimari

Wow a Danish company - Jelopix - has launched the cheapest Android tablet yet. As little as $170 for the 7", there's a 9" as well. You get USB, HDMI, SD SLOT and Ice Cream Sandwhich (Android 4.0).

Impressive price.

The bad things about it seems to be the 512MB of RAM in the 7" and only one front faced camera of 0.3mp.

Futureman

Seriously. I can't believe the on-screen buttons in ICS don't include a Search key. I use it ALL THE TIME across dozens of apps.

wait, really? so what do you do to search? Hit "Menu" then choose search or something?

and "No hardware buttons" is not a requirement for ICS. I'm sure we'll still see it, kind of along the lines of some phones having physical keyboards vs. virtual-only.

kehs

Banned
wait, really? so what do you do to search? Hit "Menu" then choose search or something?

and "No hardware buttons" is not a requirement for ICS. I'm sure we'll still see it, kind of along the lines of some phones having physical keyboards vs. virtual-only.

The app developers have to add search to the menu, or onscreen. It blows.

Blackhead

Redarse
Seriously. I can't believe the on-screen buttons in ICS don't include a Search key. I use it ALL THE TIME across dozens of apps.

There wasn't any search key in honeycomb either. Was there any outcry then? There are mood to add search back... What does search do for you anyway? Isn't it adequately replaced by the search widget?

JonnyBrad

If they change the menu to recent apps, then it's actually better than the onscreen cause at least you have a search key.

If they did that, as its hardware buttons, you couldn't have the menu key that pops up as it does for legacy apps on ICS.

So if you have hardware buttons you need to have the hardware menu button atm. Eventually it won't be a problem but not yet.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The Xperia Ion is up for pre-order for $570 online, so hopefully that bodes for a sub-$200 contract price.

I guarantee Negri Electronics will raise the price. A Sony LTE phone is not gonna be under $600 off contract. You might be right about the sub-200 on contract price though.

kehs

Banned
If they did that, as its hardware buttons, you couldn't have the menu key that pops up as it does for legacy apps on ICS.

So if you have hardware buttons you need to have the hardware menu button atm. Eventually it won't be a problem but not yet.

They could add a fifth hardware button!

(forgot about legacy apps, heh)

HDRemake

Banned
There wasn't any search key in honeycomb either. Was there any outcry then? There are mood to add search back... What does search do for you anyway? Isn't it adequately replaced by the search widget?

For one thing, the search widget takes up unnecessary space on EVERY homescreen.

Also, the search button can be used inside of countless apps to search within them. Now all of these apps will need to be updated with a clickable search icon in order for ICS users to search within them. Legacy apps that are no longer updated will lose the functionality altogether, possibly.

rozay

Banned

I was thinking about how consumers would feel if the soft keys changed function to the 3 on the nexus and then I remembered there would be no way to use legacy apps. I understand the intent in removing the button from soft keys so that its actually visible if there is a menu now, but it sucks that there are still phones coming out with soft keys.

Circle T

For one thing, the search widget takes up unnecessary space on EVERY homescreen.

So get rid of it....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1385425

Also, the search button can be used inside of countless apps to search within them. Now all of these apps will need to be updated with a clickable search icon in order for ICS users to search within them. Legacy apps that are no longer updated will lose the functionality altogether, possibly.

....and then add search back.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1355193

Problems solved...?

Threi

notag

I know that longpressing menu is a universal shortcut for search, dunno if that works for GN though.

On the topic of hardware buttons....going from physical to capacitive is starting to really annoy me. Accidental button presses all day. I want to actually grip my phone and not be worried about pressing anything wrong. Not to mention phone calls...ugh. Waiting for the proximity sensor to report that its not near your head, and that doesnt even work 100% of the time...

I miss "dumb" phones.

Blackhead

Redarse

Could you name some of these apps, the ones you use in particular and the ones which haven't been updated? I never used the search buttons on the Nexus (primarily because i never knew which apps supported it...) It's worth noting that some manufactures didn't include the search button on their phones even before Google dropped it in Android 3.0 and 4.0
I was thinking about how consumers would feel if the soft keys changed function to the 3 on the nexus and then I remembered there would be no way to use legacy apps. I understand the intent in removing the button from soft keys so that its actually visible if there is a menu now, but it sucks that there are still phones coming out with soft keys.
Workarounds can be found for that e.g. a long press on the home button brings up the menu (the home button can glow in legacy apps that require the menu)

open.

to abuse.

http://pocketnow.com/android/lg-cx2-the-optimus-3d-2-revealed-images

sm8Cs.jpg

trying to differentiate themselves from each other with extra features.

nobody used honeycomb.

Babalu.

Hey guys, i haven't been keeping track in a long time but i went back a few pages and didn't see anything.

I was initially waiting for the galaxy sII and then the galaxy nexus but neither good versions came to tmobile so i've just been using my vibrant (galaxy s).

Is there anything to look forward to on tmobile? Is the galaxy s III coming to tmobile? Is anything coming? Or should I just get the galaxy s II.

DrFunk

Hey guys, i haven't been keeping track in a long time but i went back a few pages and didn't see anything.

I was initially waiting for the galaxy sII and then the galaxy nexus but neither good versions came to tmobile so i've just been using my vibrant (galaxy s).

Is there anything to look forward to on tmobile? Is the galaxy s III coming to tmobile? Is anything coming? Or should I just get the galaxy s II.

Nobody really knows right now. The Mobile World Congress starts next month, where it'll be introduced.,I'd wait a bit and see if its what you really want before making any expensive decisions.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
so android GAF my evo was stolen yesterday. My contract ends on april 1 this year. I can pay $45 for early termination and get a full discount on any phone with 2 year re sub. I don't know what to do. I am sure a new phone is coming out soon. What would you do?

so android GAF my evo was stolen yesterday. My contract ends on april 1 this year. I can pay $45 for early termination and get a full discount on any phone with 2 year re sub. I don't know what to do. I am sure a new phone is coming out soon. What would you do?

Buy a cheap Nexus S 4G off craigslist and ride out the contract until something better comes out.

Orayn

After way too much dicking around and installing the wrong firmware update several times, I finally got Virtuous Inquisition 3.0 installed on my HTC Sensation 4G. I'm really looking forward to trying out ICS!

DrFunk

Eldar Murtazin just dropped an obvious bomb by listing some info about the Galaxy S III:

Notorious for his murky inside sources and hit-or-miss track record, Russian tech blogger Eldar Murtazin just dropped a huge news bomb by saying the yet unannounced Samsung Galaxy S III will land on shelves in April, after an announcement in late February at MWC in Barcelona. Murtazin also strongly hints he got a hold of the new Galaxy S III:

“HD resolution, 12 mpx camera, sw tweaks, android 4 - i like my new phone. Eager to see official announcement in Barcelona,” the blogger tweeted in a series of posts with their context centered around the Galaxy S III and the Nokia Lumia 900.

All of this falls in line with Samsung’s last year schedule about the Galaxy S II - the device was announced at MWC and introduced in Europe in late April. The presence of an HD screen is also logical, just as the proposition that it’ll run on ICS with some software tweaks (read, TouchWiz) and even a bump up in the megapixels to 12MP camera sounds logical.

What’s not so obvious is the quad-core processor - the blogger further hints that the Samsung Galaxy S III is coming with a 1.5GHz-1.6GHz quad-core chip. Moreover, his experience shows that it’s definitely “fast.” All of this power must come with a decent battery life and it seems that Samsung has done a good job on tweaking that as well, as per Murtazin's experience.

As always, Murtazin doesn’t give away neither his sources nor how he got a hold of the S III, so the most suspicious minds could say that’s just an educated guess. It seems, though, he’s on to something here, but in either case, you’d definitely do well to take this with a grain of salt.

The rumor downpour doesn’t end here - the other huge rumor that Murtazin broke is that the Nokia Lumia 900 is getting a European remake under the Lumia 910 moniker. It’s to come with a 12-megapixel camera and get released in May - too late to compete with the SGS III, according to the blogger.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...essor-12-megapixel-camera-running-ICS_id26217

Yoshiya

Was a quad-core Exynos ever announced? That seems the most obvious way to test the veracity of his claims. I don't remember reading of such a SoC, and it's simply not going to be a Tegra 3 phone. I'd be very surprised to see A15 absent from the S III as well.

Doopliss

If it doesn't have Cortex A15 (or Krait, but that's unlikely) then I don't care if it has 16 cores, the performance won't be worth getting excited about. But top of my wish list would be a big reduction in bezel. Make there be a point in having on-screen soft-keys. 2mm at the sides of the screen and 6mm at the top and bottom would be cool with me. And make sure there's a notification light too.

Is the Samsung Exhibit II any good? Or is there something better in the $250 range of android unsubsidized that will work on T-mobile? They have the exhibit II 4G for $190.

Edit: Also, does the google maps directions that talk to you like a GPS an OS level thing? I liked that on the newer phones but since the exhibit is only honeycomb, would it have it also to do turn by turn directions?

Jesus fuck thats faster then my laptop with a i3 370m ?

WE QUAD CORE NOW

2GB of RAM too ?

Battery lifes gotta be a joke though....

How is it faster than your laptop?

gcubed

Was a quad-core Exynos ever announced? That seems the most obvious way to test the veracity of his claims. I don't remember reading of such a SoC, and it's simply not going to be a Tegra 3 phone. I'd be very surprised to see A15 absent from the S III as well.

a quad core chipset was, exynos was the code name of what they have now (hummingbird previously), not sure if it will hold the same name.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Edit: Also, does the google maps directions that talk to you like a GPS an OS level thing? I liked that on the newer phones but since the exhibit is only honeycomb, would it have it also to do turn by turn directions?

Its built into Maps. So any android phone can do it just fine.

Hi guys. Simple question. How do you browse GAF on your android phones? Is there an App for it or something? I seem to remember somebody made one long ago but I have not found it. It sucks to read neogaf on the phone browser.

Zeppu

Hi guys. Simple question. How do you browse GAF on your android phones? Is there an App for it or something? I seem to remember somebody made one long ago but I have not found it. It sucks to read neogaf on the phone browser.

secondapps.com/neogaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom