• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Battery lifes gotta be a joke though....

I doubt that as the CPU will mostly be asleep on a quad-core phone/tablet. You should look at the average utilization on the quad-cores inside your laptop or desktop PC, it's 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999% deep sleep and 0.0000000000000000000000000001% actually doing something.

Here's what CPU Spy says my tiny little dual-core is up to:

phone_busy.jpg

This Tuna is used for web browsing, music listening, online banking, Facebook, Words With Friends, and the Engadget app. I don't watch videos with it, and I only occasionally play games. However unless you literally watch videos or play games continuously until your battery goes from 100% to 0%, this is pretty much what your phone's CPU utilization will look like too with moderate use. In other words, unless your mobile device is Playstation Vita, battery life going from dual-core to quad-core should be functionally identical, because a sleeping dual-core is just the same as a sleeping quad-core: it's asleep and drawing almost no power!

What do you guys think of the Razr Maxx? I'm contemplating if I should get that this Thursday or ride it out with my Incredible until the quad cores come out in April. The one thing I would like from the new phones would be 720P screens which the Razr only has qHD.

Considering battery life and form factor are important to me, the Razr Maxx looks like it will fullfill my needs fine. I don't really care about ICS (Razr will get it later anyways) and didn't like the Galaxy Nexus. Any regular Razr users here? You guys happy with it?

I have a Galaxy S and I want to put a new firmware on it. (cyogenmod it's called, I think? Or at least that's one that I've heard of). I posted yesterday about the problems I'd been having.

I have some kind of memory leak problem with my Galaxy S. Often after using the browser or when lots of apps are open at once, the phone slows to a crawl and sometimes eventually locks up altogether and I have to take the battery out to restart it. I have a program on the home screen called 'fast reboot' which closes every opened program and that sorts it in the short run but tbh I'm sick of it. Happens at least twice a day. Would flashing the phone fix the problem or is it a problem with the phone itself that will always be there?

kehs

Banned
I think I'm gonna start a Wordfeud tournament thread for phoneos war soldiers(or anyone that wants in), respective to android/ios/wp7 users to join since wordfeud is about to launch on wp7 soon.

I want to put up a small nominal prize, that I'll personally put up and will gladly accept funds for, anybody interested?

Angst

I have a Galaxy S and I want to put a new firmware on it. (cyogenmod it's called, I think? Or at least that's one that I've heard of). I posted yesterday about the problems I'd been having.

You should be better off using a custom ROM. CyanogenMod is always a safe bet, but you could also try one of the other ICS ROMs available.

Yoshiya

a quad core chipset was, exynos was the code name of what they have now (hummingbird previously), not sure if it will hold the same name.

Exynos seems to be a brand, like Snapdragon as opposed to Scorpion/Krait. The codename of the 2011 chipset was Orion, if I remember correctly.

Angst

Interesting. My Desire spends next to no time in 'deep sleep' - the vast majority is in the lowest clock speed. Any idea what might be causing that?

It might be the kernel you are using that don't allow the phone to go to deep sleep. If you are using an app to control the cpu speed this might be the cause. Third it could be one of the apps that sends wakelocks and prevents the phone from going into deep sleep.

I got Asphalt 6 yesterday from GetJar. To download the game (527 MB) it requires me to turn on WiFi, even though that'd be way slower than doing it over 4G. First world problems, all up ins.

Blackhead

Redarse
Do you have a rooted phone? It's *ROOT REQUIRED*

If you don't have root yet - get it.

The device is tired** rooted. First I was getting rpc errors, then I made some changes to the windows slate and set that up. Having passed that hurdle it wouldnt connect as a HID (cant complete command 2 or something to that effect). I found the HID toggle and tbought that wS it. Instead it bottled the bluetooth, I had to repair it and now it keeps pinging the rpcserver won't connect at all. :/ I can't find a step-by-step installation guide

** Edit: I now loving swype but it could use a little notification, perhaps by underlining the word, to let the user know when it goes with its guess instead of putting the first choice option. Great app though, now I finally get the hype.

Jesus fuck thats faster then my laptop with a i3 370m ?

WE QUAD CORE NOW

2GB of RAM too ?

Battery lifes gotta be a joke though....

I don't understand the correlation between the amount of cpu cores and RAM versus overall battery life.

Hint: There isn't really much of one.

Unicorn

I have the original Droid. I've had it for almost 2 years. I love it dearly, but I've noticed it's a lot slower than when I first bought it. Sometimes (a lot of times) when I press the Home "button" it'll be a loooong time before the icons on the homescreen show up. Youtube app runs really slow and force closes a lot. Sometimes my Browser internet app does the same. My phone isn't rooted or anything, but I'm curious if there's a way to clear this up. Like defrag or something haha.

Also, what the FUCK happened to Facebook? It used to work fine, but now its garbage. Slower than balls, constant force closures, etc. Is there a way to rollback or root it to download an old version of FB app?

I think I'm going to pick up an exhibit ii 4g today. Hopefully it turns out pretty good but I heard the battery is somewhat weak. I wonder if there's a different battery worth getting. Also, does Google maps turn by turn thing use data or just GPS? Like if I'm on edge will it be shitty trying to use it as a GPS device? It's one of the biggest things I want a smartphone for. Thanks again.

Menelaus

Banned
Google Nav uses data and GPS. However, you can download 10 mile wide squares of the map to your phone, so data isn't necessary for travel within those areas.

andycapps

I think I'm going to pick up an exhibit ii 4g today. Hopefully it turns out pretty good but I heard the battery is somewhat weak. I wonder if there's a different battery worth getting. Also, does Google maps turn by turn thing use data or just GPS? Like if I'm on edge will it be shitty trying to use it as a GPS device? It's one of the biggest things I want a smartphone for. Thanks again.

It'll probably still work on Edge, it'll just go through a lot more battery from my experience. Then again, I almost always have 3G coverage, so YMMV. That's my long winded way of saying that I think it should still work.

Google Nav uses data and GPS. However, you can download 10 mile wide squares of the map to your phone, so data isn't necessary for travel within those areas.

Is this something it does automatically or something you have to tell it to do?

It'll probably still work on Edge, it'll just go through a lot more battery from my experience. Then again, I almost always have 3G coverage, so YMMV. That's my long winded way of saying that I think it should still work.

Cool, I'm hoping to just get a car charger since I want to use it as a GPS so battery life shouldn't really make any difference. Thanks for the help.

Most places not directly where I live is better than 2G so it shouldn't be a problem hopefully but I have to drive to NC in a couple weeks so I want to make sure it'll work for that.

Circle T

Is this something it does automatically or something you have to tell it to do?

Settings --> Labs --> Pre-Cache Map Area

Turn that on. Then all you do is search for a location, and when you click on the location button that shows up, down toward the bottom of the info page for that place, there will be an option to "Pre-Cache" the map area. It will then download the 10mi area around that location. I usually just do this for about 5-6 spots around town, and then I have my entire hometown area already cached. If you ever need to, you can also go in and delete cached data, either all of it, or selected areas.

Settings --> Labs --> Pre-Cache Map Area

Turn that on. Then all you do is search for a location, and when you click on the location button that shows up, down toward the bottom of the info page for that place, there will be an option to "Pre-Cache" the map area. It will then download the 10mi area around that location. I usually just do this for about 5-6 spots around town, and then I have my entire hometown area already cached. If you ever need to, you can also go in and delete cached data, either all of it, or selected areas.

Sweet, that sounds awesome. Are they usually big file size wise when you download the portions or not too bad?

Circle T

Sweet, that sounds awesome. Are they usually big file size wise when you download the portions or not too bad?

I honestly don't know how large the data is that it downloads. It doesn't take like 10 minutes or anything. Even on a slower connection, it usually only takes 30sec to a minute or so. You can do this over wifi as well, which can help if you have a slower data connection.

I honestly don't know how large the data is that it downloads. It doesn't take like 10 minutes or anything. Even on a slower connection, it usually only takes 30sec to a minute or so. You can do this over wifi as well, which can help if you have a slower data connection.

Haha, well I just meant filling up the phone since I have to buy a memory stick yet since I think the exhibit ii is only like 4GBs of internal data or something small. If it goes that fast it shouldn't be a problem as far as wasting space for other things on the phone. I'm hoping I don't run into any problems but I don't know how data is when you start driving further south to places like NC.

Edit: Also, if anyone can help, is there any difference between microsd cards? Is there anything I should be looking for when purchasing? There seem to be anywhere from $40-$55 for a 32GB one depending on the price but I just want to make sure there isn't different speeds or something I should avoid if I just get a $40 one. Thanks.

Circle T

It'll show you how much space it's taking up after you download a section under cache settings. It's usually about 6-10 megs. per section.

So it does. I never noticed that before. Even after mapping all of Omaha/CB, my cache setting is only 11MB.

For some reason the first thing I noticed is that they de-humped the wifi/cell bars. What a hedious lockscreen. I wonder is the key skeleton head key shape was intentional.

Which sucks. I like how the icons are all tight and squeezed in on the Nexus. Saves a lot of space in the menu bar for other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom