• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

Well, since no one answered my question about my Droid, I'm assuming everyone is just implying I buy a new phone. My contract is up in June, so they'll probably wanna upgrade me or w/e to renew the 2 yr. contract with Verizon.

Any Suggestions? A physical keyboard is a must. All my paid apps and stuff will be transferable to a future phone, right?

Well, since no one answered my question about my Droid, I'm assuming everyone is just implying I buy a new phone. My contract is up in June, so they'll probably wanna upgrade me or w/e to renew the 2 yr. contract with Verizon.

Any Suggestions? A physical keyboard is a must. All my paid apps and stuff will be transferable to a future phone, right?

Physical keboard? Droid 4 is the only option on Verizon that I'm aware of. And yes, all paid apps will be transferable.

If physical keyboard is a must, Droid 4 is the only choice we currently know on Verizon. All apps are tied to your gmail account so yes they are transferable.

Why ask for suggestions when you still have 6 months to go? By then, there will plenty of new phones to choose from.

Unicorn

Physical keboard? Droid 4 is the only option on Verizon that I'm aware of. And yes, all paid apps will be transferable.

Perfect. Haha. Just looks like my Droid now, but a bit more futuristic. I'll be able to adjust to that juuuuuust fine. hahaha What's the current price?
If physical keyboard is a must, Droid 4 is the only choice we currently know on Verizon. All apps are tied to your gmail account so yes they are transferable.

Why ask for suggestions when you still have 6 months to go? By then, there will plenty of new phones to choose from.

Probably because they'll want me to renew prior to June. Also, this slow Droid problem is really getting to me. I either want to fix it or I guess upgrade to the same thing, but better specs.

Probably because they'll want me to renew prior to June. Also, this slow Droid problem is really getting to me. I either want to fix it or I guess upgrade to the same thing, but better specs.

What's your upgrade date? Mobile World Congress is next month so we will see new phones there which will probably start releasing April/May. Droid 4 still doesn't have a release date yet but it'll probably be $200 with 2 year contract.

Unicorn

What's your upgrade date? Mobile World Congress is next month so we will see new phones there which will probably start releasing April/May. Droid 4 still doesn't have a release date yet but it'll probably be $200 with 2 year contract.

Would my upgrade date be different than the end of my contract? My contract ends in June or July (at least, going by the whole signing of my 2 year contract when I got my first Droid). $200 is about what I paid for my phone. I think it was a bit cheaper thanks to rebates and whatnot.

Al-ibn Kermit

Perfect. Haha. Just looks like my Droid now, but a bit more futuristic. I'll be able to adjust to that juuuuuust fine. hahaha What's the current price?

Right now the Droid 3 is $200 in a Verizon store, or FREE with a contract renewal if you buy it on a online retailer like wirefly/amazon.

By June, the Droid 4 will be out and will likely also have dropped in price enough to be free with contract renewal. Hardware keyboards are becoming rarer and rarer but more phones with hardware keyboards may be announced on Verizon by then.

Would my upgrade date be different than the end of my contract? My contract ends in June or July (at least, going by the whole signing of my 2 year contract when I got my first Droid). $200 is about what I paid for my phone. I think it was a bit cheaper thanks to rebates and whatnot.

It's usually at 20 months so your upgrade is probably next month or in March. Droid 4 will definitely be out by then.

Needing some advice: So im ditching my Blackberry for a new phone. Im debating whether to go with Iphone or an LG Optimus 2X but Im not sure. Also this will be my first phone with a data plan. Basically I want a phone that will last me for a few years, will run smooth and well, has a great browser for surfing and messaging, with a decent music and movie player and a nice camera. Also, a great assortment of apps and games with decent support.

Watching some comparison reviews online seems to suggest that the Optimus is alot better in those regards. But the App Store for Apple seems to be better.

Also, it seems to be alot easier to buy apps and games from the App store using Itunes cards, but I havent seen anything comparable with the Android marketplace.

Please note Im located in Canada.

edit: Im not to keen on installing CFW on my phone. Had enough of that with the PSP. :(

Well, the Optimus 2x has the highly regarded Wolfson DAC inside, so you will get great sound out of the box and even greater sound if you get the Voodoo Control app.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
since this thread is more active what are some good underappreciated games that have come out the past few months?

on my list are whale trail, elder sign, and through the desert

gcubed

so moving to a galaxy nexus with a large screen my tablet gets no use anymore. I'm thinking of selling it off as now the screen is large enough to watch videos, etc... and it fits in my pocket vs the tablet.

Ocho

I finally rooted my phone (SGSII Intern. 2.3.6) and installed market enabler to get a couple of US only apps.

Now, when I try to buy an app (on my native market or otherwise), the app will get stuck downloading until X hours pass.

I immediately recieve the recepit of how the charge went through. I can't cancel the download. I also can't buy over the web, I get an error message.

I've tried clearing data of download manager and market. If I clear the market data, the app disappears from download queue but if I try to install problem will occur again. If I clear download manager, nothing happens.

I don't have any issue downloading free apps/already bought apps. I never experienced this problem before rooting. Anyone has a similar problem?

kehs

Banned
So Logitech has sold out their entire stock of new Revues.

Developers should now have dozens of potential users.

----

Galaxy S III might not be at MWC possibly because.....drumroll please....

Ziegler speculates that Samsung was “uncomfortable with another long lag between the global launch and US availability” of the Galaxy S III, which is an interesting theory.

Good Job US Carriers, you're officially holding back the rest of the world.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/25/2733022/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-mwc-rumor

gcubed

Developers should now have dozens of potential users.

----

Galaxy S III might not be at MWC possibly because.....drumroll please....

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/25/2733022/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-mwc-rumor

so... glad the FCC is again not changing with the times. Wireline provider? Bend over here comes the government to save the day! Wireless? Whats that?

Can someone tell me the difference between the Opera mini browser and Opera mobile browser? I see both when searching on the marketplace and don't know which i'm supposed to pick. Or is there a better browser.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I want to see what Motorola has on tap. I am still soured on Samsung phones from a few years ago. Any inkling as to a new Droid or similar Motorola device coming this spring?

Menelaus

Banned
Call me absolutely crazy...but I could see going back to my DX once it gets CM9, Andy. I love the build quality so much more than my G-Nex, and the radio is so much better in the DX.

SimleuqiR

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/25/27...-iii-mwc-rumor

the speculation is that Samsung was uncomfortable with another long lag between the global launch and US availability. The US is a key market for Samsung's mobile business, of course — particularly when the company is successful in getting most or all national carriers to pick it up.

So sorry our Euro-Gaf friends. US carriers fucking it up for the rest of you!! Now you will hate them as much as we do.

Ocho

Can someone tell me the difference between the Opera mini browser and Opera mobile browser? I see both when searching on the marketplace and don't know which i'm supposed to pick. Or is there a better browser.

To my understanding, Opera Mini is used for low end phones. The browser compreses images, etc, and is pretty light.

If you're looking for a more 'full' browser experience, donwload Opera mobile browser.

So what's the smallest Android phone out there? I have fond memories of my tiny T637 and if Apple decides to make the iPhone 5 bigger I might try out Android for a cycle.

I saw the Xperia Mini and the thing looks really nice.

erir0e4bn1.jpg

kehs

Banned

Opera mini runs your traffic through Opera servers, optmizes it and then sends a smaller version to your device.

Mobile is just a regular browser, and it's s direct link with the website you visit.

rozay

Banned
So what's the smallest Android phone out there? I have fond memories of my tiny T637 and if Apple decides to make the iPhone 5 bigger I might try out Android for a cycle.

I saw the Xperia Mini and the thing looks really nice.

erir0e4bn1.jpg

Xperia mini and mini pro are great and REALLY cheap, just avoid the x10 versions as they're older. They'll be getting an official 4.0 update as well.

I would actually go for the pro if you don't have big hands because the keyboard is actually nice. Not sure how easy to use the touch screen keyboard is, I never touched it.

I want to see what Motorola has on tap. I am still soured on Samsung phones from a few years ago. Any inkling as to a new Droid or similar Motorola device coming this spring?

Most likely a Droid X3 with 720P screen and 13MP camera spotted in the Chinese Razr. Maybe a higher spec OMAP 4 or an OMAP 5 processor.

To my understanding, Opera Mini is used for low end phones. The browser compreses images, etc, and is pretty light.

If you're looking for a more 'full' browser experience, donwload Opera mobile browser.

Opera mini runs your traffic through Opera servers, optmizes it and then sends a smaller version to your device.

Mobile is just a regular browser, and it's s direct link with the website you visit.

Sweet, thanks guys. I'm loving the exhibit ii so far. There may be better out there but going from never having a smartphone to this is just holy shit. So glad I finally got a smartphone.

kehs

Banned
Made a thread earlier about "Jailbreaking" and the DMCA, no responses but I figured Android Gaf would be interested at least:

The Problem – Smartphones, tablets, and video game consoles are powerful computers with lots of untapped potential. Yet many of these devices are set up to run only software that’s been approved by the manufacturer. Modifying a device to run independent software – known as jailbreaking – is important to programmers, enthusiasts, and users. But jailbreaking creates legal uncertainty. Some device manufacturers claim that jailbreaking violates Section 1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), which carries stiff penalties.

The Solution – EFF is asking the U.S. Copyright Office to declare that jailbreaking does not violate the DMCA, and we need your help. In 2010, the Copyright Office said jailbreaking smartphones doesn’t violate the DMCA. This year, we’re asking them to renew that exemption (otherwise it will expire) and expand it to cover tablets. We’re also asking for a new exemption to allow jailbreaking of video game consoles.

How You Can Help – The Copyright Office needs to hear from people who depend on the ability to jailbreak to write, use, and/or tinker with independent software (from useful apps to essential security fixes) for smartphones, tablets, and game consoles. You can submit comments online at this link.

https://www.eff.org/pages/jailbreaking-not-crime-tell-copyright-office-free-your-devices

From Steve Kondik (aka Cyanogen):

The DMCA exception for "jailbreaking" devices such as smartphones and tablets is about to expire. This is a pretty important issue for anyone who uses CM. Please try to help out if you can.

https://plus.google.com/100275307499530023476/posts/1kHqyM1q8US

------

User profiles are here bitches (not officially though, requires root)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...e-android-profiles-on-a-single-rooted-device/

-----

Droid Razr maxx has a 3300mah battery, dayum.

so moving to a galaxy nexus with a large screen my tablet gets no use anymore. I'm thinking of selling it off as now the screen is large enough to watch videos, etc... and it fits in my pocket vs the tablet.

Yes, I think the galaxy nexus size is perfect. Versatile size screen, light, very comfortable to hold and store in your pocket. I don't think I can go back to an Iphone size screen.

Sometimes I prefer browsing the web on the galaxy nexus than my laptop.

Is there a good website to look for wallpapers for android phone?

I know it doesn't answer your question, but PicSpeed Wallpapers is an excellent app with... Thousands of wallpapers. You don't even need to download them, just favorite them, then change wallpapers from the fav list whenever you want. I tried looking for websites and found none that reached my expectations... Meanwhile that app is gold for me.

Sweet, thanks guys. I'm loving the exhibit ii so far. There may be better out there but going from never having a smartphone to this is just holy shit. So glad I finally got a smartphone.

Also this year Opera is supposed to be combining both browers into one, so you'll get the best features of both. Opera Mini is the best browser to use on a 3G/4G, connection if you have a small plan like me (150mb :( ).

With the hybrid approach that Opera plans for Android devices, the Mobile browser will detect when the network is strained and switch into a Mini mode to cut the data-transfer burden, Chief Executive Lars Boilesen said in an interview here. No longer will Opera users have to decide on their own whether Opera Mobile or Opera Mini would be better at a particular moment.

"We'd like to take Mini and put it into Mobile," Boilesen told CNET. "We call it Opera with Turbo for Android...That is something we are looking forward to launch at the beginning of next year (2012)."

Say Goodbye to the Menu Button

Before Android 3.0 (Honeycomb), all Android-powered devices included a dedicated Menu button. As a developer, you could use the Menu button to display whatever options were relevant to the user, often using the activity’s built-in options menu. Honeycomb removed the reliance on physical buttons, and introduced the ActionBar class as the standard solution to make actions from the user options immediately visible and quick to invoke. In order to provide the most intuitive and consistent user experience in your apps, you should migrate your designs away from using the Menu button and toward using the action bar. This isn’t a new concept — the action bar pattern has been around on Android even before Honeycomb — but as Ice Cream Sandwich rolls out to more devices, it’s important that you begin to migrate your designs to the action bar in order to promote a consistent Android user experience.

Mr Swine

Banned
Why is my music player on Optimus One stops responding every time I change song? It's getting irritating that I have to shut it down and start it and when I change song it stops responding :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom