• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On mobile devices, what could you do to actually use that much power? Android gaming doesn't really offer too many games with amazing graphics.

I'm not saying it's needed, but the extra power does help when moving to these new crazy screen resolutions we are going to get this year. It does appear to be slightly overkill though. Nice to know if you're running a 1280 x 720 screen resolution though that you'll have head room power wise.

dream

The funny thing, Coco, is that I finally have my beautifully designed Instapaper client that uses Marco's API rather than just scraping the web site and it's all because HP made the Enyo framework open source.

It runs like shit but I just pretend it's still a webOS app.

kehs

Banned
dream, I just installed it and it's trying to take my email address and money from me. I'm confused, I thought this was Android app.

dream

dream, I just installed it and it's trying to take my email address and money from me. I'm confused, I thought this was Android app.

Are you sure you installed the right app? Are you sure you didn't install a fake open Android Instapaper phishing app that is trying to steal your personal information?

dream

The third party instapaper api requires a pro sub.

Hey gigs, thanks for ruining my playful attempt at making Coco think he accidentally installed a fake open Android Instapaper phishing app that was trying to steal his personal information.

I think the $3/3 month fee is a fair price to pay to be able to use an app that perfectly emulates webOS' horrific scrolling on Android.

What do you mean not officially? The nexus line of products ALWAYS gets timely updates directly from google..I'm not gonna flash a rom lol.

Google said it doesn't meet hardware standards due to the incredibly small internal memory. Devs saw that as a challenge and decided to put it on the N1 themselves.

coriander

Banned
Okay. I should upgrade anyways. Is google not selling the galaxy nexus? I can't find an option to buy it from them on google.com/nexus

coriander

Banned
So theirs no way to buy the phone unlocked from google? Wtf that's what the nexus line was all about..I don't use Verizon.

Edit: google sold out completely

kehs

Banned
Hey gigs, thanks for ruining my playful attempt at making Coco think he accidentally installed a fake open Android Instapaper phishing app that was trying to steal his personal information.

I think the $3/3 month fee is a fair price to pay to be able to use an app that perfectly emulates webOS' horrific scrolling on Android.

That's cruel dream, cruel.

----

coriander: Gonna have to import the GN.

Just bought a 32GB microSD card to replace the 8GB that came with my Inspire 4G. What's the best way to transfer all the photos/data/app cache stuff from one card to the other?

squicken

Is there a separate thread for Android Tablets? I picked up a Galaxy 7 Plus and I guess I thought it was supposed to have ICS by now

Dizzan

MINI Member
Someone on another forum says movies is now available in the market on his tablet in Australia.

Can anyone confirm this? My phone is being repaired and it is not showing up as available on my laptop...

Auto correct on my exhibit 4G sucks ass. :( Why is it so much worse than my iPod touch?

Edit: Nvm, finally figured out how to make it less aggressive on the autocorrect. I'll see how this works now.

Edit2: Does anyone know if any carries block ringtones? I made a ringtone folder on the phone and dropped the .m4r files there but when I go to options to pick a ringtone they don't show up at all. All the tutorials online made it seem like that's all I had to do.

Edit 3: Weird, guess I was looking at a wrong guide. Mp3 works but m4r doesn't.

jayb

Auto correct on my exhibit 4G sucks ass. :( Why is it so much worse than my iPod touch?

Edit: Nvm, finally figured out how to make it less aggressive on the autocorrect. I'll see how this works now.

Edit2: Does anyone know if any carries block ringtones? I made a ringtone folder on the phone and dropped the .m4r files there but when I go to options to pick a ringtone they don't show up at all. All the tutorials online made it seem like that's all I had to do.

Try a different keyboard from the market. There's a free ics keyboard that's great. Also swiftkey.

Circle T

The .m4r file format is, as far as I know, only used by Apple with their iOS devices. You could simply change the file extension to .m4a and they should work. Or you could just use .mp3 and .wav as well if you need.

Try a different keyboard from the market. There's a free ics keyboard that's great. Also swiftkey.

Yes, this. As good as the ICS keyboard is, I like SwiftKey more. Once SwiftKey learns your usage patterns, it is uncanny how well it will predict things.

The .m4r file format is, as far as I know, only used by Apple with their iOS devices. You could simply change the file extension to .m4a and they should work. Or you could just use .mp3 and .wav as well if you need.

Yes, this. As good as the ICS keyboard is, I like SwiftKey more. Once SwiftKey learns your usage patterns, it is uncanny how well it will predict things.

Ah, ok. I didn't realize it was just apple but ya that's how I finally got it to work. I was changing to different extensions like mp3, wav, etc. until it finally started to work. And is the prediction that good? I really hate the prediction on the stock one, it gets it wrong so many times it makes it twice as long to type. What's the difference between the free and paid one?

jayb

Ah, ok. I didn't realize it was just apple but ya that's how I finally got it to work. I was changing to different extensions like mp3, wav, etc. until it finally started to work. And is the prediction that good? I really hate the prediction on the stock one, it gets it wrong so many times it makes it twice as long to type. What's the difference between the free and paid one?
Assuming the keyboard you're talking about is the same Samsung keyboard that came with my GS2, it is pretty terrible. The stock Google gingerbread keyboard is good, but Samsung didn't include it.

Did your phone come with Swype? Swype is awesome.

Circle T

I think so. The free one is only a free trial, I think. You can try it for a month, see if you like it, and then if you want to keep it, just get the paid one. Can't hurt to try it.

Assuming the keyboard you're talking about is the same Samsung keyboard that came with my GS2, it is pretty terrible. The stock Google gingerbread keyboard is good, but Samsung didn't include it.

Did your phone come with Swype? Swype is awesome.

Swype is the one that you draw with your finger to type? It was a pretty cool concept when I was trying it but I wasn't sure how to do the same letter twice like if you spelt letter unless it always knows to autocorrect?

I think so. The free one is only a free trial, I think. You can try it for a month, see if you like it, and then if you want to keep it, just get the paid one. Can't hurt to try it.

Alright, I just installed it. I always wondered what the free trial worked with something like that but that makes sense. I like how you can have multiple installed and switch relatively easily between them. I'll try the ICS one as well while I'm at it.

For the stock samsung is there a quick way to reach comma? That's biggest beef I have with it. Like with an iPhone you can hold the 123/symbols button in the bottom left and slide over to comma to quickly add one but it doesn't work for this one. Swiftkeyx solves it by having it on the main keyboard not the 123/symbol area which is also good.

kehs

Banned
Swype is the one that you draw with your finger to type? It was a pretty cool concept when I was trying it but I wasn't sure how to do the same letter twice like if you spelt letter unless it always knows to autocorrect?

Alright, I just installed it. I always wondered what the free trial worked with something like that but that makes sense. I like how you can have multiple installed and switch relatively easily between them. I'll try the ICS one as well while I'm at it.

You do a double loop on the letter before moving onto the next one.

Not even that. Just a squiggle will do it. It becomes second nature in no time.

So that's it? I would like go back and forth on it real quick and always worked but I was curious if there was a more elegant solution because I felt stupid doing it and figured there was so more obvious way to do it.

Chopper

So that's it? I would like go back and forth on it real quick and always worked but I was curious if there was a more elegant solution because I felt stupid doing it and figured there was so more obvious way to do it.

That's it. I warmed to Swype in about a week. I swore I would never go back, but got swayed by the SwiftKey sale over Christmas judging by impressions here. Personally, I didn't understand the hype, and moved back to Swype sharpish. It's the optimal, one-handed typing option. Problems stem from turning your phone sideways and typing with two hands.

That's it. I warmed to Swype in about a week. I swore I would never go back, but got swayed by the SwiftKey sale over Christmas judging by impressions here. Personally, I didn't understand the hype, and moved back to Swype sharpish. It's the optimal, one-handed typing option. Problems stem from turning your phone sideways and typing with two hands.

Ya, it's awesome to not have to rotate the screen to quickly respond to text messages. It sucks when I'm using the internet though since I usually have it sideways to view gaf and stuff and feels less natural sideways than with one hand.

AndyD

aka andydumi

One thing to keep in mind, you can let it learn from your gmail and sms history. And it also learns your vocabulary. So while it many not seem perfect day 1, within a few weeks it learns your syntax and frequent words and you can write whole sentences with a few taps.

Chopper

Ya, it's awesome to not have to rotate the screen to quickly respond to text messages. It sucks when I'm using the internet though since I usually have it sideways to view gaf and stuff and feels less natural sideways than with one hand.

Exactly. I'd give it a second chance anyway. It's pretty cool, and you can just tap to type sideways.

Exactly. I'd give it a second chance anyway. It's pretty cool, and you can just tap to type sideways.

Ya, I would just tap when it's sideways. I appreciate the suggestion of the other two keyboards though. I'll rotate between them for a little bit to see if I start to greatly prefer one over another.

One thing to keep in mind, you can let it learn from your gmail and sms history. And it also learns your vocabulary. So while it many not seem perfect day 1, within a few weeks it learns your syntax and frequent words and you can write whole sentences with a few taps.

Ya, I'm assuming many are like that. It's still frustrating having it do a crappy job of autocorrecting a lot in the beginning and making everything feel that much slow. Hopefully it learns quickly.

Al-ibn Kermit

Dock it to your tv and wireless controller/keyboard

That's cool, but then its no longer a mobile device. Even if you're getting tons of extra horsepower, it may not be worth the sacrifices in battery life on devices that already have trouble getting through a day of casual use.

Utilizing your phone's processing power through a larger device like a phonepad or a TV is the obvious direction that some manufacturers are moving in, but is like using your phone to do NFC payments where it's not exactly widespread so its not a priority for manufacturers.

Holy shit, I just realized you hold down the period button and then can slide to comma and other symbols without having to wait. That's so much better now that I can do that again.

Threi

notag
Not even that. Just a squiggle will do it. It becomes second nature in no time.

Or you can just pause on the letter for a little bit.

Swype always knows what's up.

And I agree with the sentiment that if you type with one hand alot swype is easily the king. If you use two hands or type in landscape then SwiftkeyX is better. Although keep in mind that swype does have pretty good prediction and can learn as well...that is one area that people overlook because it's main feature is sliding to type.

Also i think the swype that comes with galaxy phones is better than the universal one. Better symbol/number placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom