• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I think the galaxy nexus size is perfect. Versatile size screen, light, very comfortable to hold and store in your pocket. I don't think I can go back to an Iphone size screen.

Sometimes I prefer browsing the web on the galaxy nexus than my laptop.

I love my Touch pad for browsing these days. It has the perfect screen size and resolution for Teh Intarwebz.

I see mention of getting Grandfather'ed in if you had unlimited prior to the switch last summer. My plan is currently unlimited data. My 2 yr. expires in June. If I get a new phone with 4g and whatnot will I still have unlimited? If I use my 4g phone as a hotspot for others, will that also be unlimited data?

You're good.

SimleuqiR

Can someone other than Coco explain Coco and giga's avatars to me?

There was a thread where two gaf members were squabbling about the fact that both were using the same avatar. In true Coco fashion he came in the thread and changed his avatar to said avatar (just to fuck with them). Then Giga is just compiling on it.

dream

There was a thread where two gaf members were squabbling about the fact that both were using the same avatar. In true Coco fashion he came in the thread and changed his avatar to said avatar (just to fuck with them). Then Giga is just compiling on it.

This sounds like a good cause.

Ruh roh, I'm not sure what I did but my phone won't switch to landscape for keyboard anymore. I tried rebooting and still nothing.

Not working for photos either...

Edit: Nvm, most have accidentally turned it off and couldn't find it in the settings until now.

Is there a better email app than the default or someone to get rid of the bullshit tagline at the end of each email it automatically ads saying how great t-mobile is? So frustrating to have to delete the ad each time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
For some reason my GF's Inspire 4G has started to wack out this week. Not sure if it's AT&T or her phone. She's currently running the stock GB Rom, and has had problems being able to make calls or send texts out all week. Think I might call AT&T and see what's up this weekend in case it's on their end.

If not it might be time to look into installing a custom ROM for her.

But it still doesn't self clean the online library. I update tags, and artwork, and still, they sit in Google Music in complete disarray.

Yeah this too.

For some reason Google Music also fucks up 1% of my music despite my best efforts to add in perfect tags.

I paid $150 for my Touchpad. How much did you pay for your iPad 2?

Zero dollars for the ipad2 and I paid $150 for the touchpad. Yeah I still think the ipad2 is superior. I paid $99 for the veer and paid $0 for the pre, 150 for the gs2. 400 for iphone 4s and 600 for the gnex...what else you want to know how much I paid for? Your point is?? ?

kehs

Banned
Zero dollars for the ipad2 and I paid $150 for the touchpad. Yeah I still think the ipad2 is superior. I paid $99 for the veer and paid $0 for the pre, 150 for the gs2. 400 for iphone 4s and 600 for the gnex...what else you want to know how much I paid for? Your point is?? ?

You paid zero dollars for your ipad2?

PM PLEASE.

As a Galaxy S owner, I'm guessing I should skip the Galaxy S II and just go straight to the III when it comes out in a couple of months? Dual-core sounds nice, but a 12 MP camera, bigger screen, and quad-core sounds even better.

Just beyond your grasp.

well try me..

I don't think the price of a products determines the quality....ah forget it...

I think you were one of the bitter ones that hated my GS2 > Gnex post.

As a Galaxy S owner, I'm guessing I should skip the Galaxy S II and just go straight to the III when it comes out in a couple of months? Dual-core sounds nice, but a 12 MP camera, bigger screen, and quad-core sounds even better.

At this point I would wait, especially if your 2 years contract is over...too much good stuff is in the horizon. In my opinion theres no point on getting a non ICS phone and non 720p phone right this moment with a 2 year commitment.

gimmmick

By chance do you have the setting selected to "delete old messages" or something like that?

No, I never erase any text messages on my phone. On a side note, this girl has her set on "delete old messages" on her android device. She's the only one that has this problem as of late.

Sorry for the late reply.

DP is awesome, but I wish there was a better way to handle resources across different densities and resolutions. Instead of having to develop, say, four different versions of one asset and drop them into individual folders, it would be nice if I could provide a single high-resolution asset (like, a 512x512 icon) and have Android automatically scale it down depending on the device. I find resource management very annoying on Android, especially if you want to support as many devices as possible.

Husker86

Is there a better email app than the default or someone to get rid of the bullshit tagline at the end of each email it automatically ads saying how great t-mobile is? So frustrating to have to delete the ad each time.

Umm, go into settings in the email app and change signature to blank.

Umm, go into settings in the email app and change signature to blank.

Ah, that's where it is. I keep forgetting the left most button opens up like the "file" menu for doing stuff. Thanks, sorry for so many stupid questions, I suck at trying to figure out where stuff is right now. :/

gcubed

and Krait is dead before it even releases. Poor Qualcomm

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5467/samsung-exynos-5250-begins-sampling-mass-production-in-q2-2012

Back in November, Samsung announced its next generation Exynos 5250 SoC based on ARM’s Cortex-A15 architecture. Samsung dropped the ball today during its earnings call that the Exynos 5250 has begun sampling and should hit mass production in Q2 2012

Just to recap, the Exynos 5250 is a 32nm dual-core Cortex-A15 SoC running at 2.0 Ghz. Memory bandwidth is a staggering 12.8 GB/s and allows it to drive up to WQXGA (2560x1600) resolution displays. As we reported back in November, compute performance should easily be twice that of the 1.5Ghz dual-core Cortex-A9-based Exynos 4210 and graphics performance is expected to be a four-fold improvement.

gcubed

I'm still willing to give Qualcomm a chance if their chipsets are more energy efficient. Would there be much of a difference between the 28nm Krait and the 32nm Exynos?

as far as power efficiency? it depends, no one has seen the big.little (i think samsung is using it) architecture in action. Qualcomm could have an edge in power efficiency with a massive drop off in performance

So, two way race between Samsung and Intel, essentially?

i dont think intel is ready to really compete with A15s until 2013, they are just at the point of trying to get their foot in the door.

andycapps

i dont think intel is ready to really compete with A15s until 2013, they are just at the point of trying to get their foot in the door.

The A15s are going to be great.. Wondering if Samsung is pushing back the announcement of the S III to put the A15 in it, supposedly they have multiple versions in testing.

rozay

Banned
I just got a text from at&t telling me that I need a plan to tether on my nexus one :/

Never got one until installing 4.0, what gives?

rozay

Banned
The A15s are going to be great.. Wondering if Samsung is pushing back the announcement of the S III to put the A15 in it, supposedly they have multiple versions in testing.

Chip sounds nice but I have no interest in the GS3 when the GS2 still doesn't have a full functional stock android rom

giga

The GSIII will definitely have the Exynos 5250 and that's why it won't be out till Summer. If not, then it'll be outclassed easily by the new phones using the Cortex A15 in the Fall.

Intel's Medfield has impressive CPU performance relative to the A9, but I bet it won't match the A15. It's also still using an sgx540.

rozay

Banned
I think 4.0 has "tethering" flags built in for carriers to see. =(

(which rom btw?)

Trying samuaz's CM9 only because texasice's rom (which this is based on) added an ugly ass 6 bar signal meter. It runs amazingly well for using a hacked together kernel to the point that I'm going to use this phone until it dies. Not really a fan of every new device just being a plain black face and I still like the design and size. I'll be able to buy whatever is best afterwards since I sold a 4S from my renewed contract

Bummed as hell about tethering flags, maybe I should give koush's app a try. If it doesn't work I'll have to consider going back to 2.3 because the ability to do so is essential to me.

gcubed

The GSIII will definitely have the Exynos 5250 and that's why it won't be out till Summer. If not, then it'll be outclassed easily by the new phones using the Cortex A15 in the Fall.

Intel's Medfield has impressive CPU performance relative to the A9, but I bet it won't match the A15. It's also still using an sgx540.

yeah, i have no doubt the GS3 will be with the 5250.

As far as medfield its a decent competitor against end of year 2011 chips. I think their roadmap finally catches up to ARM in Q1/2 of 2013. With the fabbing they do they can get the performance as well as some good power savings when they catch up.

kehs

Banned
Trying samuaz's CM9 only because texasice's rom (which this is based on) added an ugly ass 6 bar signal meter. It runs amazingly well for using a hacked together kernel to the point that I'm going to use it until it dies. Not really a fan of every new device just being a plain black face and I still like the design and size.

I think the last one p5(from the 16th) added a toggle for the signal bar.

Apparently he's made some headway with the kernel and hardware acceleration. I'm itching to see how well the n1 does with hw acceleration.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Alright Android GAF I'm thinking about rooting my GF's phone either this weekend of next, and then trying to install the latest stable version of Cyanogenmod 7.1 for her Inspire 4g.

Yay or nay on if this is a good idea? Anything I should know of before hand? I'll probably end up doing it next weekend honestly as she'll be using her phone a funk ton this weekend to study with for her test next week. Figure I'll wait till post test in case I run into problems.

Also if you have any alternative suggestions ROM wise I'm willing to look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom