• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really need a new phone (Droid X screen is dying... slowly fading out)

Razr Maxx looks very nice to me.

Is it rootable? Does it have tethering flags?

and does it have any accessories such as the desk and car dock?
I didn't see anything like that on the Verizon website.

longdi

Banned

the pentile screen is horrible makes everything looks blown up and pixelated.
motoblur ui is laggier than sense and touchwiz, and killing tasks with it is pita.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

How soon do you need a phone? Right right right now isn't the best time IMO to get a phone unless you want a Galaxy Nexus. If you can wait till Q2 then all of the main manufacturers should start pumping up their native ICS lineup of phones coupled with 2012 style hardware.

kehs

Banned
the pentile screen is horrible makes everything looks blown up and pixelated.
motoblur ui is laggier than sense and touchwiz, and killing tasks with it is pita.

I'm literally developing eye cancer due to my galaxy nexus and it's pentile screen.

True story.

yogloo

Just wondering, does anyone here encountered the battery killing android standby bug?
I had it with my galaxy note and it was annoying me to no end. Found the solution though, you had to upgrade the kernel.
I used abyss kernel which stopped the bug from popping up.
Just want to share it here because samsung and google did nothing to fix it which left a bad taste in my mouth and many others.

I'm hoping the RAZR maxx sells well, could set a precedent for a lot more effort being put into battery life. Phones 7mm thin are all fine and dandy, but 9mm and last forever on a charge? More than a fair trade.

Any comparisons of the Xperia S screen vs LG Nitro screen? That 4.5" HD IPS looks awesome, I want to see if sony can match it (especially since the Nitro has no UK release date yet)

Baki

I'm hoping the RAZR maxx sells well, could set a precedent for a lot more effort being put into battery life. Phones 7mm thin are all fine and dandy, but 9mm and last forever on a charge? More than a fair trade.

Any comparisons of the Xperia S screen vs LG Nitro screen? That 4.5" HD IPS looks awesome, I want to see if sony can match it (especially since the Nitro has no UK release date yet)

Any news on an Xperia Play 2?

AndyD

aka andydumi
That is one damned trend I need more people jumping on.

Yep. An elegant extra capacity battery solution not the humps some phones get.

I would gladly go from 7-8mm to 9-10 if it makes a huge battery difference. Hell my Thunderbolt is 14mm thick with a regular battery.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How bad is the pentile matrix on the Galaxy Nexus? Is the resolution high enough that it wouldn't bother me, or is it still an issue?

How bad is the pentile matrix on the Galaxy Nexus? Is the resolution high enough that it wouldn't bother me, or is it still an issue?

In terms of clarity, it's one of the best screens on the market right now. Don't let pentile put you off. Sure, there would be in increase in IQ if it were RGB stripe, but it's pretty good regardless.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/01/27/droid-razr-maxx-crushes-competition-in-4g-lte-battery-life-test/

8 hours and 25 mins of continuous web surfing on LTE. Galaxy Nexus only gets 3 hours and 40 minutes.

Please let this become a trend. I don't give a shit if a phone is 7mm versus 11mm thick. I want me some battery life.

kinggroin

Banned
I could live with a non - replaceable battery in the nexus if it meant getting it at a higher capacity with minimal thickness increase. As it is, its almost as thick as a razor maxx yet only gets a third the battery life.

I could live with a non - replaceable battery in the nexus if it meant getting it at a higher capacity with minimal thickness increase. As it is, its almost as thick as a razor maxx yet only gets a third the battery life.

What's the life of the batteries? How much trouble is it if you have a non replaceable one?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I played with one and I could not tell. It seems its not an issue at all based on what I read here.

In terms of clarity, it's one of the best screens on the market right now. Don't let pentile put you off. Sure, there would be in increase in IQ if it were RGB stripe, but it's pretty good regardless.

Please let this become a trend. I don't give a shit if a phone is 7mm versus 11mm thick. I want me some battery life.

Sounds good. I've heard that some colors get weird patterns in them because of it, though. And the stuff shown here is a bit offputting: http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/where-are-all-those-galaxy-nexus-subpixels-20111221/

(I have actually played with a Nexus, but not for long enough to notice this.)

Futureman

Isn't the RAZR Maxx still pretty much the thinnest phone on the market AND it has the best battery life? Pretty crazy.

I wonder if I went into the Verizon store and told them I lost my DX if they would make an exception and let me sign a new 2 year contract for the GN? My early upgrade isn't until June, 2-year contract over in October, but don't they sometimes let people do this??

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sounds good. I've heard that some colors get weird patterns in them because of it, though. And the stuff shown here is a bit offputting: http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/where-are-all-those-galaxy-nexus-subpixels-20111221/

(I have actually played with a Nexus, but not for long enough to notice this.)

It may look offputting but the conclusion is:
As far as I could tell the subpixel patters are small enough on the Galaxy Nexus that it’s not something noticeable, or the screen resolution really is high enough that you can only see it when you are performing specific visual tests to confirm it

So if you will use your phone day to day to look at specific tests, then you may have an issue.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Wow, the Razor maxx just turned into a must buy for me. Hopefully, we'll get news about the international release soon.

So I copied everything from my current SD card to my computer so I can swap out a new card. But I'm confused, because the total size of every file and folder Windows sees is 1.85GB, but the disc says it has 1.94GB used. There's 90MB of something that Windows didn't copy. Anyway I can find out what that is and copy it manually?

Ashhong

I just got what looks like an ad on my gs2. Anybody know what app might be doing this so I can uninstall it?

hTVdB.jpg

Ashhong

Nope. But I did just download this app called "AirPush Detector". It tells you what apps use this AirPush service to put ads on your phone. I have discovered the culprit to be com.gioui.ics, which is a Go Locker ICS theme created by "GO LAUNCHER THEMES". So beware of that theme.

Not completely sure if thats the only cause, but we'll see.

How soon do you need a phone? Right right right now isn't the best time IMO to get a phone unless you want a Galaxy Nexus. If you can wait till Q2 then all of the main manufacturers should start pumping up their native ICS lineup of phones coupled with 2012 style hardware.

I've dealt with it for the last 3-4 months, I can hold out for a few more if necessary... as long as the screen doesn't completely die on me.

Do we have any ideas as to what phones may hit in Q2?

Ashhong

lol its not bad if you have nothing but that on the screen. i like the way it incorporates everything into one. could definitely look a lot cleaner though. just wondering if its a concept or what

coriander

Banned
Anyone willing to buy my N1, I'm kickin it and Android to the curb since google sold out on what they promised me 2 years ago.

I'm also switching my search engine to duckduckgo

rozay

Banned
Anyone willing to buy my N1, I'm kickin it and Android to the curb since google sold out on what they promised me 2 years ago.

I'm also switching my search engine to duckduckgo
you're full of great posts today, aren't you?

If anything, blame HTC for purposefully not including enough memory in the system partition to upgrade past 2.3. It's a very easy way to make a device obsolete.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Am I stupid if I buy a Galaxy Nexus now (or soon), rather than waiting for MWC to see what new phones are coming? I lost my Android phone a while back, so right now I'm stuck using my old SE W810i, and I really miss all the smartphone features I previously had. I'm not amused. Not at all.

Anyone ever buy one of these speaker docks for your phone? How is the sound quality and how well made is it? Been considering it for awhile and I'm not sure if they're any good.

kehs

Banned
Am I stupid if I buy a Galaxy Nexus now (or soon), rather than waiting for MWC to see what new phones are coming? I lost my Android phone a while back, so right now I'm stuck using my old SE W810i, and I really miss all the smartphone features I previously had. I'm not amused. Not at all.

Anythung shown at mwc will be at least three months away from actual delivery. With that said, mwc is too close too not wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom