• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Am I stupid if I buy a Galaxy Nexus now (or soon), rather than waiting for MWC to see what new phones are coming? I lost my Android phone a while back, so right now I'm stuck using my old SE W810i, and I really miss all the smartphone features I previously had. I'm not amused. Not at all.

A Nexus is a Nexus. There may be better hardware out but it won't be a Nexus. You'll be good for about a year until the next Nexus release.

I'm moving internationally this June and I'll have to swap out my CDMA GN for a GSM one. No chance I won't be replacing it with any other phone model. I don't care what else is out if it isn't a Nexus.

rozay

Banned
Am I stupid if I buy a Galaxy Nexus now (or soon), rather than waiting for MWC to see what new phones are coming? I lost my Android phone a while back, so right now I'm stuck using my old SE W810i, and I really miss all the smartphone features I previously had. I'm not amused. Not at all.
If the rumors about the GS3 skipping MWC are accurate, I'd expect it to launch overseas in july-august, maybe middle of june at the earliest. It'll probably be over $700 at launch as well.

MWC is only 2-3 weeks away, I'd wait if I were you. Plus, the price will go even lower if you decide to go nexus!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
MWC is only 2-3 weeks away, I'd wait if I were you. Plus, the price will go even lower if you decide to go nexus!

More like a month (MWC starts on Feb 27th). But yeah, I guess there's a chance the price of the Nexus will go down. But will that really happen as soon as new phones are announced, or will it happen when they are released (which is probably a number of months away)? Again, I really need a need phone, and I'm trying to figure out whether or not I could save anything by waiting a while.

(I'm in Europe, so this has little to do with carriers and stuff. Probably gonna buy it unlocked if I do.)

Have you guys seen this: Trollem Ipsum

Confident Android Geek:

You don’t know anything, once Apple copied LG, at last overpriced.

Hypnotised, to whom fanboy besides professional fanboy in addition death-grip first it’s open, at the end fanboy for example Apple copied Android’s notifications.

You suck hardly hype to blah, blah, blah especially crap.

Sucky ass, this includes Google Voice is better than Siri and TellMe put together on the one hand fanboi, as Antennagate.

I should totally fire one of these off in one of the many phone war threads and see the reaction.

nib95

Banned
I'll just leave this here....

Ok, so being curious I did a quick little comparison. My 4S 64GB vs my sisters (White) vs my mums Galaxy S2. Wow at the differences. WTF...

4Svs4SvsS2BlackComparisonResized.jpg

Have you guys seen this: Trollem Ipsum

Confident Android Geek:

I should totally fire one of these off in one of the many phone war threads and see the reaction.

Damn, with this site nobody will ever have to write their own trolls ever again!

"I am mad as hell. Give me a screed."

Gruber owing to toys, once fanboy, not only cult of Jobs such a overpriced above all fanboi, to whom crap so that you don’t know anything in addition it didn’t even have copy and paste.

Sucky ass that Android sells more phones, on hypnotised whenever Apple copied Android’s notifications in contrast you’d buy shit if Apple sold it overall Jesus pad immediately ass-kissing furthermore notifications are way better on Android since professional fanboy, at last I-Pod and typical fanboy in conclusion you suck particularly marketing, when you suck after Apple copied LG, when Antennagate.

Hype, another point is that blah, blah, blah despite professional fanboy.

Fanboi, due to fanboy, especially fanboy, on the whole Google Voice is better than Siri and TellMe put together, this is why fanboi when cult of Steve, but while Apple didn’t invent anything I believe it’s open, whose moron, whereas you suck, afterwards fact is, Apple are going down, for example brainwashed, until Android is better because it’s open finally Flash, first fact is, I can get a better laptop for less, during locked down, eventually Apple are nothing without Steve Jobs before death-grip, in the main Apple are nothing without Steve Jobs, so locked down because of it’s open.

Apple copied Android’s notifications then hype, at first Android sells more phones, apparently cult of Jobs, suddenly overpriced, for one thing fanboy what is more fanboi, after that hypnotised.

Brainwashed what you don’t know anything to begin with Google Voice is better than Siri and TellMe put together hardly fact is, I can get a better laptop for less, on the other hand Flash while you suck in the end Apple didn’t invent anything, which Gruber naturally crap this includes it didn’t even have copy and paste, because you suck, as well as Jesus pad, but Antennagate thus blah, blah, blah so that you suck, in spite of typical fanboy however cult of Steve.

You’d buy shit if Apple sold it, I think moron, who marketing consequently fact is, Apple are going down, besides Android is better because it’s open in the beginning I-Pod all in all professional fanboy where sucky ass, why professional fanboy, for instance notifications are way better on Android but also fanboi so as to Apple copied LG, therefore fanboy, as soon as toys, personally fanboy.

Fanboi at the end ass-kissing soon death-grip not enough sucky ass, on the contrary death-grip although fact is, Apple are going down, next cult of Jobs, on the one hand notifications are way better on Android, while I-Pod, prior to fanboi, in my opinion it didn’t even have copy and paste generally Apple are nothing without Steve Jobs nevertheless fanboi for this reason fanboi, at the beginning Flash, I would say that typical fanboy.

You suck exactly because fact is, I can get a better laptop for less, as a result brainwashed, whatever crap in order that overpriced, moreover Jesus pad, as Gruber, to sum up professional fanboy to Android is better because it’s open, before Google Voice is better than Siri and TellMe put together.

Hype, whose moron as a result fanboy, I would say that fanboy, not only Apple copied Android’s notifications, nevertheless it’s open that blah, blah, blah hardly you suck to professional fanboy, to sum up hypnotised personally Antennagate in order that Apple didn’t invent anything then locked down, for this reason ass-kissing, due to toys, prior to you’d buy shit if Apple sold it, such a Android sells more phones, generally marketing, this includes fanboy I believe you suck, during cult of Steve, but you don’t know anything.

Apple copied LG, because fanboy whenever you suck, naturally brainwashed, on the one hand Android is better because it’s open therefore Gruber on fact is, Apple are going down, in the beginning professional fanboy to begin with fanboy, soon professional fanboy, exactly because cult of Jobs, thus fanboi at the beginning Jesus pad, for example locked down on the whole you don’t know anything, eventually Apple copied LG, whereas fanboi, and Apple are nothing without Steve Jobs, in contrast you’d buy shit if Apple sold it.

Fanboi for one thing Flash, immediately hype, as ass-kissing, so that you suck to whom hypnotised suddenly sucky ass, this is why Antennagate next you suck, despite blah, blah, blah, especially Android sells more phones in the main Google Voice is better than Siri and TellMe put together, but also marketing in my opinion it didn’t even have copy and paste so fact is, I can get a better laptop for less, when crap, at the end overpriced whatever it’s open, first moron, as soon as toys, after I-Pod.

Notifications are way better on Android in the end Apple copied Android’s notifications, while death-grip another point is that Apple didn’t invent anything, once fanboy.

Cult of Steve until typical fanboy so that I-Pod although fanboy.

Fact is, Apple are going down, in spite of Apple copied Android’s notifications particularly Apple didn’t invent anything, what fanboi, apparently Jesus pad, because of marketing besides cult of Steve finally toys, moreover it’s open but while Google Voice is better than Siri and TellMe put together, since it didn’t even have copy and paste which you suck owing to cult of Jobs, at first ass-kissing, so as to notifications are way better on Android, above all Gruber.

GLORIOUS

Al-ibn Kermit

I thought Samsung made the iPhone displays? I never did a side-by-side comparison but I always assumed they had oled displays.

Out of curiosity, what "Screen Mode" setting was the GS2 set to?

Does that affect how something that is totally white or totally black looks or does it just affect all the colors in between? I mean, black is black and white is white.

I thought Samsung made the iPhone displays? I never did a side-by-side comparison but I always assumed they had oled displays.

Does that affect how something that is totally white or totally black looks or does it just affect all the colors in between? I mean, black is black and white is white.

iPhone with OLED? Nope.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I just got what looks like an ad on my gs2. Anybody know what app might be doing this so I can uninstall it?

http://www.imgur.com/hTVdB.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

ha

I got random ads showing up in my notifications when I installed a LWP from the market. The animation wasn't even that great.

Zzoram

How do you close opened apps on an Android phone? What's the equivalent of the iOS home button double press to open the active app tray, hold tapping the app icons, and then closing the individual apps?

thespot84

How do you close opened apps on an Android phone? What's the equivalent of the iOS home button double press to open the active app tray, hold tapping the app icons, and then closing the individual apps?

on ICS you hit the multitask button, find the app and swipe it left or right, however given how memory management works in android there's no reason to 'close' and app unless it's runaway (memory leak or something).

On pre-ics you go into settings, apps, running apps, find it, select it, and choose 'force stop'

Ashhong

Its that viewing angle. My S2 looks that color at that angle only. At a normal viewing angle with a good amount of brightness is pretty white.

I could be wrong, but isn’t it just one click to clear all active apps in task manager? I don’t own an android, so not exactly sure if this is native on all androids, but I came across this vid below (circa 3.50) and it illustrates the thing you're asking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bphZoV8VrLc

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Those photos are pretty dependent on the photo exposure. A little longer and all of them will look brighter and more white. A little shorter and they become more grey. In person, white should look white to someone on each phone. Also as pointed out, viewing angle has something to do with it.

The variation between the two 4S phones is interesting, though.

kinggroin

Banned
How do you find a list of newly installed apps or your download history?

How do you delete an installed app?

First off, which phone are you using? The way you do these tasks varies quite a bit depending on OS version and phone model. Also, there shouldn't be a reason to "kill" apps. In fact, the more of your commonly used ones being held in memory, the better. This isn't windows.

I'm sure ios and newer apps work the same way android does, so unless you're just LCD about it, leave 'em running (otherwise you just kill the battery faster).

Those photos are pretty dependent on the photo exposure. A little longer and all of them will look brighter and more white. A little shorter and they become more grey. In person, white should look white to someone on each phone. Also as pointed out, viewing angle has something to do with it.

The variation between the two 4S phones is interesting, though.

True, but that outcome will always be the same because of tech limitations. Those ips panels on the iPhone will never get anywhere near the black levels of the sammy. Conversely, the sammy will never be as bright as the iPhone.

On a personal level, the lack of brightness is faaaar outweighed by mind blowing contrast and black levels found on the super amoled + displays. The ips panels do generally seem to ship with more accurate color saturation though (the GN counters that IMO).

Futureman

is there a good Droid 3 ROM? My 1.5 year X with custom ROM runs way better than my GF's stock 3 and that's kind of embarrassing.

I'm assuming Moto still rolls with locked bootloaders, so any custom ROM will be based off 2.3, correct? I would love to blow her mind and get ICS running for her, but I'm guessing that's not possible.

kehs

Banned
I like it, but I find myself not using it my phone much lately, so I might as well flip it for a small profit since I got it for cheap.

Keep waiting. There will always be a superior phone that comes out within 4 months. So by that logic, keep waiting for the next best thing.

rozay

Banned
nothing wrong with a midrange phone. Not everyone can have the latest and greatest.
I agree, but it's unfortunate that consumers buy cheap phones with cheap specs when they can probably get last year's model with better specs for the same price. I'm pretty sure the original galaxy S is the same price as a lot of the low-end galaxy phones at this point, yet it still is incredibly usable.

Samsung could definitely cut down their model range a bit.

really depends on yous situation..will you be committing to a 2 year contract? If you are you should wait.

Wait for a phone with current spec and ICS. The whole getting update first with the nexus line is overrated, especially if you are rooting and putting custom roms. Stock galaxy nexus is buggy with sub par spec with high end price. I had to put a custom rom because stock 4.0.2 is so buggy and why wait for official 4.0.3 when custom 4.0.3 is more stable than stock.

pick a phone with the hardware specs that you will be happy with and don't worry too much about update and such...custom roms fix most of those things.

for example if only the razr maxx is available for GSM i would trade my gnex for it...that battery life is crazy ...screw the updates....I would only miss the screen.

rozay

Banned
really depends on yous situation..will you be committing to a 2 year contract? If you are you should wait.

Wait for a phone with current spec and ICS. The whole getting update first with the nexus line is overrated, especially if you are rooting and putting custom roms. Stock galaxy nexus is buggy with sub par spec with high end price. I had to put a custom rom because stock 4.0.2 is so buggy and why wait for official 4.0.3 when custom 4.0.3 is more stable than stock.

pick a phone with the hardware specs that you will be happy and don't worry too much about update and such...custom roms fix most of those things.

for example if only the razr maxx is available for GSM i would trade my gnex for it...that battery life is crazy ...screw the updates....I would only miss the screen.
There isn't a phone that runs stock android better than the galaxy nexus, so I wouldn't call it overrated.

pick a phone with the hardware specs that you will be happy and don't worry too much about update and such...custom roms fix most of those things.

This is completely wrong, simply because the vast vast majority of people aren't going to root their phones and flash a custom ROM. CyanogenMod only recently surpassed 1 million unique installs, Android currently has an install base of some 250 million devices. For the other 249 out of 250 people, the Tuna is a stock Android experience without having to hack your phone.

This is completely wrong, simply because the vast vast majority of people aren't going to root their phones and flash a custom ROM. CyanogenMod only recently surpassed 1 million unique installs, Android currently has an install base of some 250 million devices. For the other 249 out of 250 people, the Tuna is a stock Android experience without having to hack your phone.

I'm just answering his question with my opinion. He/she might not agree with me as well as yourself and other people. How do you know he's one of the vast majority?

Like i stated before, stock 4.0.1or2 was buggy. I had random reboot and other issues like most people are experiencing. Its been a few month already and there no 4.0.3...so why wait for official update if I can put a custom 4.0.3 that made it perform better, more stable and increase the battery life....and its pretty dayam easy to do.

Why limit someone by telling them to stay stock and wait for official updates if there are other options? The thing that is so nice about the Android is how customizable it is ....might as well recommend someone an iphone if you want them to stay stock and have timely updates.

like I said, my opinion ....

I know alot of people that got a gnex and was less than impress with it..

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I agree. Most people interested in a Nexus are likely to install a custom ROM, anyway.

I still prefer the Nexus because it's a Nexus. It will be widely supported. Everything new will get there first, custom ROM or not. Look at GTalk Video chat.

MiniKelly

Never wait for an android phone. The current android phones are powerful enough to do everything you need. There is no need for quad core, 16 megapixel camera, 5 inch hd screen, etc.

Circle T

Never wait for an android phone. The current android phones are powerful enough to do everything you need. There is no need for quad core, 16 megapixel camera, 5 inch hd screen, etc.

I'll agree with the first two items, but my Galaxy Note disagrees with the third. The screen, and it's available real estate, are VERY welcome, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom