• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GN does seems to be a bit underpowered, and the camera is pretty meh.

You'd better get used to that, Google does it on purpose so they aren't competing with their own hardware partners. Remember that the Nexus devices aren't even supposed to be this huge mainstream line of phones, they are supposed to be for developers who are making the Android apps and want a clean, unskinned, stock Android.

kehs

Banned
Custom roms will always be superior for Nexus devices than retail devices because Google works actively to make low level binaries accesible.

rozay

Banned
You'd better get used to that, Google does it on purpose so they aren't competing with their own hardware partners. Remember that the Nexus devices aren't even supposed to be this huge mainstream line of phones, they are supposed to be for developers who are making the Android apps and want a clean, unskinned, stock Android.
That changed once they got put on the spotlight in carrier stores and had a nationwide advertising campaign, though. It's unfortunate that they're willing to put half-rate cameras into a phone this expensive, and I already know it's going to be my least favorite part of the phone when I get mine.

The GN does seems to be a bit underpowered, and the camera is pretty meh.

for a $700 dollar phone alot of people complain about...
weak volume
Not the greatest battery life.
weak reception.
horrible camera.
GSM only have 16gig....I should have waited for the 32gig
good screen but could only imagine what HD super amoled + can bring...

There are plenty of reason to wait for an ICS phone especially now....the rise of quad core and better battery tech...or something...

weak volume
weak reception.
horrible camera.

There are plenty of reason to wait for an ICS phone especially now....the rise of quad core and better battery tech...or something...
I have the Verizon version and it has an awesome screen, a fantastic camera, perfect reception, and good volume. Sorry to hear about yours.

Cipherr

That changed once they got put on the spotlight in carrier stores and had a nationwide advertising campaign, though.

Reality shows that it did not change. Perhaps some folks expectations were that it would change, but its clearly business as usual for Google. Nexus aren't technology flagship phones. I fell into that trap too, but truth is, I shouldnt have.

Al-ibn Kermit

weak volume
weak reception.
horrible camera.

The GN is still a great phone overall. It's not realistic to keep waiting for the "perfect" phone.

Reality shows that it did not change. Perhaps some folks expectations were that it would change, but its clearly business as usual for Google. Nexus aren't technology flagship phones. I fell into that trap too, but truth is, I shouldnt have.

Nexus phones are software flagships really, they always get the new version of Android first. The hardware is only there to establish a baseline. The specs of the Tuna are Google telling it's partners this is what is expected as a minimum baseline spec for Android devices running this new version of android.

The big bonus of Nexus phones is they are always first in line for the next version of Android the following year. The Nexus S got an official ICS build right away, and I expect the Tuna will get an official build of Skynet near the end of this year when it debuts right away as well.

reKon

Banned
Nexus phones are software flagships really, they always get the new version of Android first. The hardware is only there to establish a baseline. The specs of the Tuna are Google telling it's partners this is what is expected as a minimum baseline spec for Android devices running this new version of android.

The big bonus of Nexus phones is they are always first in line for the next version of Android the following year. The Nexus S got an official ICS build right away, and I expect the Tuna will get an official build of Skynet near the end of this year when it debuts right away as well.

winning post

rozay

Banned

I have no problem with this (it's why I bought my nexus one back then), all I'm saying is it's a bit unfortunate that samsung is cheaping out with these sensors on devices that are now advertised towards mainstream consumers to spend their hard-earned $299 or $599 on. They have plenty of shitty galaxy clones that they could've used their stockpile of CMOS sensors in. They aren't advertised as developer phones anymore either IIRC.

Sagitario

Is there any good and accurate data manager or phone usage app?

I want to be able to set limits for calls/minutes, text/SMS and data usage and get warnings when I am near the limit (stuff like that).

Unicorn

The GN is still a great phone overall. It's not realistic to keep waiting for the "perfect" phone.

For me, the first Droid was the "perfect" phone. Hell, it's lasted me two years, and I'd still sport it, but... Perhaps this is conspiracy, but I feel that Verizon is gradually making 3G shittier and slower to make 4G seem so much faster. I remember the first year or so of my Droid that internet was pretty damn fast, considering it was a phone. Now, it's taken a considerable dive in speed. Also, the phone itself is a lot slower in getting to the home screen and showing icons, loading apps, etc.

I don't know how Android works, but on a pc, I'd just reinstall Windows and almost all my performance would return.

I don't know too much about phone tech and spec standards, but the Droid 4 is looking pretty appealing. Could someone who knows these details elaborate on if the Droid 4 is a potential "perfect" phone?

I mean, my only bias towards it is the physical keyboard and decent camera. outside of that, I don't know what it's packing.

Sarcasm

Were is that link for phones getting ICS update? Looking at Samsung Devices. Specifically the Galaxy Note and Galaxy Tab 7.7. (Take note I don't live in USA)

I think everyone is looking for a sweet spot...atrix was a sweetspot until the gsii came out... and the gsii would be great, but it came just as lte was rolling out on att, hence the gsii skyrocket...i can't get a decent gsii with exynos, hd screen, and lte...

come to think of it, i just don't want a qualcomm...but if you want lte right now you gotta wait. if i see a good deal for the og att gsii i might hop on it, but then i'm stuck with an abysmally low res screen...

i don't want the perfect phone, but i do want these things:

LTE
720p screen
at least 4.5" screen
preferably a Tegra 3 or the new Exynos...anything but a qualcomm
802.11a/g/n (not all phones have this right now amazingly, but i need that dual band wireless if only to help justify my purchase of abnormally expensive routers)

HTC Edge/Endeavor is looking like it would fit the bill, but there has been no mention of LTE..i guess we'll see. Also GSIII but i'm not down to wait much longer for a new phone.
Come on MWC...get here already........

there are other specs i'm looking for, but these are paramount i guess.

I think everyone is looking for a sweet spot...atrix was a sweetspot until the gsii came out... and the gsii would be great, but it came just as lte was rolling out on att, hence the gsii skyrocket...i can't get a decent gsii with exynos, hd screen, and lte...

come to think of it, i just don't want a qualcomm...but if you want lte right now you gotta wait. if i see a good deal for the og att gsii i might hop on it, but then i'm stuck with an abysmally low res screen...

i don't want the perfect phone, but i do want these things:

LTE
720p screen
at least 4.5" screen
preferably a Tegra 3 or the new Exynos...anything but a qualcomm
802.11a/g/n (not all phones have this right now amazingly, but i need that dual band wireless if only to help justify my purchase of abnormally expensive routers)

HTC Edge/Endeavor is looking like it would fit the bill, but there has been no mention of LTE..i guess we'll see. Also GSIII but i'm not down to wait much longer for a new phone.
Come on MWC...get here already........

there are other specs i'm looking for, but these are paramount i guess.

ATT has OG Galaxy S 2 refurbs for $9.99 right now on their online store.

Ashhong

I'm not quite sure why people always complain about the GS2 low res screen. All you have to do is change the DPI and it looks fucking fantastic IMO. The DPI on the GN is so hideous you can barely tell its a 720p screen.

really depends on yous situation..will you be committing to a 2 year contract? If you are you should wait.

Wait for a phone with current spec and ICS. The whole getting update first with the nexus line is overrated, especially if you are rooting and putting custom roms. Stock galaxy nexus is buggy with sub par spec with high end price. I had to put a custom rom because stock 4.0.2 is so buggy and why wait for official 4.0.3 when custom 4.0.3 is more stable than stock.

pick a phone with the hardware specs that you will be happy and don't worry too much about update and such...custom roms fix most of those things.

for example if only the razr maxx is available for GSM i would trade my gnex for it...that battery life is crazy ...screw the updates....I would only miss the screen.

This is the truth. I know there is a big GNex defense force in this thread since most of the active posters in this thread have one and it's natural to try to justify your expensive purchase. I also find the GNex hardware disappointing and I really was looking forward to getting it (Mostly because of the weak external speaker since I rely on it to listen to audio books while I'm driving and the weak reception).

I also find having a Nexus phone overrated. I have a droid incredible which came out a couple months after the Nexus One but I feel the incredible is superior in most aspects over the Nexus One. No touch screen bug (better touch sensor overall), 8 GB internal storage, better camera. Once the incredible got rooted with an unlocked bootloader, there was no advantage in software. If I didn't like Sense, I got load one of the large variety of custom roms. Heck, there is an ICS ROM now for the incredible (although it's really useless) so it's not like the Nexus is more future proof.

That being said, I'd take a stable older version of an OS over a buggy new version any day. I use my phone to actually do productive things with it and that means most of the time I'm using an app. Does ICS change the functionality of each app over Gingerbread? I would say mostly no, and some apps don't even work with ICS yet.

I'm not quite sure why people always complain about the GS2 low res screen. All you have to do is change the DPI and it looks fucking fantastic IMO. The DPI on the GN is so hideous you can barely tell its a 720p screen.

TRUTH! The international and att version of GS2 screen is amazing! Some aspect of it is better than the HD super amoled.

plus the exynos is so beastly.....GS3 will be day one for me.

This is the truth. I know there is a big GNex defense force in this thread since most of the active posters in this thread have one and it's natural to try to justify your expensive purchase. I also find the GNex hardware disappointing and I really was looking forward to getting it (Mostly because of the weak external speaker since I rely on it to listen to audio books while I'm driving and the weak reception).

I also find having a Nexus phone overrated. I have a droid incredible which came out a couple months after the Nexus One but I feel the incredible is superior in most aspects over the Nexus One. No touch screen bug (better touch sensor overall), 8 GB internal storage, better camera. Once the incredible got rooted with an unlocked bootloader, there was no advantage in software. If I didn't like Sense, I got load one of the large variety of custom roms. Heck, there is an ICS ROM now for the incredible (although it's really useless) so it's not like the Nexus is more future proof.

That being said, I'd take a stable older version of an OS over a buggy new version any day. I use my phone to actually do productive things with it and that means most of the time I'm using an app. Does ICS change the functionality of each app over Gingerbread? I would say mostly no, and some apps don't even work with ICS yet.

I'm glad im not the only one that notice the Gnex defense force. Some people seem to get bitter when I talk bad about the Gnex, you are right! it's natural to try to justify there expensive purchase. Even if i have the Gnex myself, I tell it how it is...I don't try to defend its flaws just because I own one.

You made a good point also about apps, Some apps don't function correctly yet on ICS. Stock 4.0.2 is buggy that gave me random reboot which I never had with gingerbread.

The external speaker volume is low on the Gnex....so it suck using it as a GPS. Another advantage of the GS2, it locks down location faster and had a louder speaker, So the GS2 was a better GPS than the GNex.

rozay

Banned

ICS ports are actually function complete in comparison with gingerbread aside from USB tethering and some other things. I've been running it on my N1 for 2 weeks and its the same speed as 2.3 with only a reboot every once in a while. The 3.0 kernel is being worked on and once that's done, there will be full hardware acceleration.

What makes 4.0 any buggier than 2.3 anyway? Just because you aren't running it? :p

Pctx

Banned
I think what I find most funny about the 2.3 vs. 3.x and 4.x fodder in this thread is that the hardware behind it for 2011/2012 doesn't really matter that much. The jump from 2.3 -> 4.x is great in terms of an branding experience but let's be honest, it's more about unified development platform to combat iOS development, plain and simple.

I think what amuses me is I get now while most of the Apple fanboys laugh at the Android crowd now is because the bickering over the specs means little to the "average" Android user and "average iPhone" user who makes phone calls, text and play angry birds. Do you need a 5.3" Superdee Duper AMOLED HDx2++ screen + 12GB of RAM, Octo-core CPu and 36 day battery life to do that? Mainstream says no. I find as I use my Skyrocket more and more I just want to do the simple stuff a smartphone should be able to do. Make phone calls, text and play angry birds.

</old man rant>

ICS ports are actually function complete in comparison with gingerbread aside from USB tethering and some other things. I've been running it on my N1 for 2 weeks and its the same speed as 2.3 with only a reboot every once in a while. The 3.0 kernel is being worked on and once that's done, there will be full hardware acceleration.

What makes 4.0 any buggier than 2.3 anyway? Just because you aren't running it? :p

LOL, first you tell me you have to reboot once in a while and then you ask me what makes it buggier? I run 2.3 because I don't have to "reboot once in a while" and I don't have to worry if my apps work in ICS.

I don't have first hand experience with ICS but most people agree 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 are buggy. I'm sure you can google what those bugs are.

Menelaus

Banned
all my apps work in ICS. i'd use it a bit firsthand before being silly about it.

for the record, 2.3 rebooted itself like a fucker on my DX. i've only gotten one random reboot on the G-Nex, and that was on 4.0.1

I'm glad im not the only one that notice the Gnex defense force. Some people seem to get bitter when I talk bad about the Gnex, you are right! it's natural to try to justify there expensive purchase. Even if i have the Gnex myself, I tell it how it is...I don't try to defend its flaws just because I own one.

The problem being you don't know what the difference is between a real flaw and something which is planned. We've all already explained repeatedly WHY the Tuna is the way it is. Everything about it is all according to Google's keikaku, if you are obsessed with how grunty your cell phone's GPU is and how big the benchmark scores are, the Tuna isn't for you. Everyone else should have a look and decide for themselves how important stock Android is to them.

Coming from a Droid X and the MotoShit, a stock Android was the #1 top priority for me, so the Tuna was what I chose. I wasn't happy about the 5 MP camera and no microSD slot either, and yeah the volume on the speakerphone is kinda crappy. Nothing in this world is perfect, and that goes doubly for any Samsung product. But the Tuna also has very good to great audio quality out of the headphone jack, which matters to me since I use my phone as my music player, it has that screen, and it's going to get Android 5.0 before any other phone except the next Nexus phone. So yeah, nobody here is soft-pedaling the problems with the Tuna, but we're also not going to stand here and let people talk shit about the phone like it's the worst phone on Earth and no one should buy it over the far superior GSII, because that's a bunch of fucking bullshit too.

rozay

Banned
LOL, first you tell me you have to reboot once in a while and then you ask me what makes it buggier? I run 2.3 because I don't have to "reboot once in a while" and I don't have to worry if my apps work in ICS.

I don't have first hand experience with ICS but most people agree 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 are buggy. I'm sure you can google what those bugs are.

Of course hacked together port is going to have bugs, the latter part of my post is referring to 4.0 on actual hardware that runs it (the galaxy nexus) and its bugs are no different than the speaker not working for a few seconds and wake locks that nexus one and desires had for a while with 2.3.

I also don't really understand why you continually go on and on about apps that don't work, what app that you use daily doesn't? Or is your entire post based on hearsay?

Of course hacked together port is going to have bugs, the latter part of my post is referring to 4.0 on actual hardware that runs it (the galaxy nexus) and its bugs are no different than the speaker not working for a few seconds and wake locks that nexus one and desires had for a while with 2.3.

I also don't really understand why you continually go on and on about apps that don't work, what app that you use daily doesn't? Or is your entire post based on hearsay?

How am I going on and on about apps not working? I just said that's one of the reasons why I would prefer to use a stable old version vs. being a beta tester for a new version that just came out. Maybe you are right and all the apps that I use would work fine on ICS, but I don't want to take that chance. Are you denying that there are apps that don't work on ICS?

You dun goofed

now you have to tell me how to change the dpi on my gs2.

LTE Tuna, rooted stock 4.0.2

uptime.jpg

This number is only going to get bigger, since I don't see any signs that the phone is going to reboot anytime soon. It seems quite happy, actually.

LTE Tuna, rooted stock 4.0.2

uptime.jpg

This number is only going to get bigger, since I don't see any signs that the phone is going to reboot anytime soon. It seems quite happy, actually.

Hey I'm glad your phone works great for you. Look I have nothing against the GNex and ICS. I'm sure it's a great phone. Everyone has their top priorities and mine was a loud external speaker so I had to pass on the phone. Everyone also have different experiences with the exact same product so just because you didn't get a reboot doesn't mean there are people out there that are not having problems with random reboots. We are all here to discuss Android and express our opinions so please don't take anything personal.

The problem being you don't know what the difference is between a real flaw and something which is planned. We've all already explained repeatedly WHY the Tuna is the way it is. Everything about it is all according to Google's keikaku, if you are obsessed with how grunty your cell phone's GPU is and how big the benchmark scores are, the Tuna isn't for you. Everyone else should have a look and decide for themselves how important stock Android is to them.

Coming from a Droid X and the MotoShit, a stock Android was the #1 top priority for me, so the Tuna was what I chose. I wasn't happy about the 5 MP camera and no microSD slot either, and yeah the volume on the speakerphone is kinda crappy. Nothing in this world is perfect, and that goes doubly for any Samsung product. But the Tuna also has very good to great audio quality out of the headphone jack, which matters to me since I use my phone as my music player, it has that screen, and it's going to get Android 5.0 before any other phone except the next Nexus phone. So yeah, nobody here is soft-pedaling the problems with the Tuna, but we're also not going to stand here and let people talk shit about the phone like it's the worst phone on Earth and no one should buy it over the far superior GSII, because that's a bunch of fucking bullshit too.

You're one of the most bitter one.

So it was googles plan to have random reboot and buggy out of the box? get over yourself.

I never once talked about benchmark score.

You seem to be obsess with stock android blah blah get first official update blah blah..And like I said before on my other post....."Why limit someone by telling them to stay stock and wait for official updates if there are other options? The thing that is so nice about the Android is how customizable it is ....might as well recommend someone an iphone if you want them to stay stock and have timely updates."

You also thought it was bullshit that I would recommend the GS2 over the Gnex. Some people do ask opinion on GS2 vs Gnex. And I tell them hands on experience, I don't need to justify my purchase, I tell it how it is.

Android infighting, lol. This is why you lot should all get iphones.

HAHAHAH.....this actually cracked me up.

but this needs to stop.

I apologize Unknown Soldier, We just have different opinions. I did not mean to insult you at all.

I apologize to anyone who feel insulted with my post.

DXPett1

Nexus One was the reverse. It was Google saying this is how you make a motherfucking phone and then everyone followed suit.

But I agree now its pretty much a showcase of Android the software, not the hardware driving it. You could also say on another level Google proves you don't need ridiculous specs to make a beautiful, functional, userable phone (something Apple proves on a daily basis)

HAHAHAH.....this actually cracked me up.

but this needs to stop.

I apologize Unknown Soldier, We just have different opinions. I did not mean to insult you at all.

I apologize to anyone who feel insulted with my post.

Haha, no problem. We can still be nakamas, right? Everyone here must stand united, for Apple and Microsoft are still out there, and they are very powerful!

Still too many options.

Nah, every Windows Phone is basically the same, they all use the same QUALCOMM single-core CPU, they all have 800x480 screen resolution, almost all of them have 8GB of storage, and they all run the same OS as mandated by MS.

And they all suck.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
shinshoryuken is just crazy into specs. which is why i guess he's on team android where he can pick out what he decides is the best phone among a ton and then mod it like crazy.

some of us just don't have that level of dedication though :p

I've been living under a rock when it comes to ICS on the GS2. Is there a particular rom that is more stable than most?

I'm looking for one that keeps root with cwm installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom