• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angst

I've been living under a rock when it comes to ICS on the GS2. Is there a particular rom that is more stable than most?

I'm looking for one that keeps root with cwm installed.

I'm using Cyanogen 9 alpha and apart from some minor issues it's stable. I've had no FCs so far.

The "minor" issues are:

Youtube videos plays, but colours are messed up
MHL (TV-Out) doesn't work
GPS fix is slow (apparently fixed in the latest build)

YMMV though. Do a nandroid first so you can go back if you don't like it.

zbeeb

I've been living under a rock when it comes to ICS on the GS2. Is there a particular rom that is more stable than most?

I'm looking for one that keeps root with cwm installed.

ive been using Westcrip's ICS Remix. Only issue is Wifi drops occasionally and just needs to be switched on/off to get it working again.

Otherwise it seems tops!

Nah, every Windows Phone is basically the same, they all use the same QUALCOMM single-core CPU, they all have 800x480 screen resolution, almost all of them have 8GB of storage, and they all run the same OS as mandated by MS.

And they all suck.

Pretty much. With low specs like that I can't imagine a good performance on those phones. The OS probably runs like shit. :lol

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
MSM8960 scores pop up online:

nenamark.jpg

We put Qualcomm's S4 development platform through its paces (twice, no less) at CES, but shorn of the glitz of Las Vegas, does it have the oomph to wow us? Someone at the company loosed Nenamark 2 on the slate, producing a score of 54.90. Given the fact that its producing graphics for a 1024 x 600 screen, we're excited to see it comfortably edge the Galaxy S II Skyrocket (54.1) and Galaxy Note (32.8) -- with our mouths watering at the thought of what this 28nm CPU can do in a smartphone. We've included the benchmark in full after the break, if you're ready for such exciting revelations.

If it's really a snapdragon in there, I wouldn't call it best.

Not that it really matters...Exynos is best

kehs

Banned
Does anyone else feel like developers are being way slower to update for ICS than other Android versions? Is there a reason for this?

Two reasons really, there's only like three people with ICS at the moment (one more than HC!).

Secondly, no access to the real GN in the US.

AndyD

aka andydumi
they are not selling the galaxy via google.com/nexus for whatever stupid reason (probably money hatted by vzn)

Yep. And Verizon is not pushing it as hard as they push other phones.

Once we start seeing more devices get ICS, dev support will grow quickly.

kehs

Banned

gcubed

GSM unlocked isn't available directly in the US (expansys/negri/etc are intl imported). The "real" was just a jab at the Verizon model. Most devs don't want to be tied to a 2k+ contract to have a phone to test.

-------

In related news, Moto is going to start selling a Developer Razr with unlockable bootloader. (Not the Maxx though)
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/01/3...ou-need-to-know-about-motos-bootloader-plans/

i would consider this more newsworthy if they sold the developer phone without blur

MSM8960 scores pop up online:

[1IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/01/nenamark.jpg[/IMG]

Not that it really matters...Exynos is best

if its a reference chipset the test is worthless. ESPECIALLY qualcomm their reference chipset test results have been way out there

It really can't be said enough how much ice cream sandwich improves the Xoom. I'm running a team EOS 4.03 rom on my rooted GSM 3g Xoom and it makes Honeycomb look like amateur hour.

longdi

Banned
according to tomhardware, qualcomm/adreno is a shell of its former self

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/medfield-krait-smartphone-mobile-soc,3117-7.html

Only that’s the thing: Most of the key team from BitBoys left Qualcomm a year ago to start SIRU Innovations Oy.

SIRU Innovations Oy is a start-up that has been running in stealth mode for the past year. It claims to be developing a licensable low-power graphics IP core. You’ve probably never even heard of SIRU, which goes to show you the difference between technology journalists who like to follow companies and talk about the organization's expertise and those who follow the human talent.

SIRU’s team is still flying low enough under the radar to the point where we don’t know who all of the members are. But brothers Mika and Kaj Tuomi are co-founders, along with Mikko Alho. Mikko, SIRU’s CEO, was the graphics processor hardware project manager for Qualcomm Finland. Importantly, although Mikko is in a management position, keeping things on-track with project planning, resourcing, design definition, day-to-day project leading, and project status reporting, he was doing the block design for BitBoys in the 90s, including the C- and RTL-model implementation. That means SIRU’s management is run by an engineer and not just a suit. Jarkko Makivaara, Qualcomm Finland’s former director of engineering, is also with SIRU. Jari Komppa, a senior engineer with Qualcomm Finland, is now with SIRU. He is a demo legend, winning first place at the Text Mode Demo Competition XI, first innovation, second theme in ludum dare 48 game design contest #4, second place at the Assembly99 3d-accelerated demo competition, first place at the Assembly98 demo competition, and first place at the Assembly96 demo competition. There are other engineers at SIRU as well, all from BitBoys.

So, the top graphics engineers who joined Qualcomm in 2009 and have almost a decade of experience working on mobile graphics haven’t been contributing exclusively to Qualcomm for roughly a year.

Remember that PowerVR’s missteps came from a lack of engineers able to anticipate the needs of software developers and users. That’s not a problem with SIRU, built with a cadre of demo coders, as well as former programmers from Fathammer, a game development studio.

Additionally, we all know that graphics hardware is only as good as its supporting software driver. Updated GPU drivers for the Adreno 205 were responsible for an almost-50% performance improvement. And that’s where the final piece of the puzzle comes together. The team at SIRU is filled with engineers who are legends and wizards with x86 technology, whose expertise in the early 90s with single-core, in-order execution CPUs remain unmatched. Do you think it’s still unusual that the Atom and Near Threshold Voltage Concept are built around the Pentium?

Can the Qualcomm Finland software team extract enough performance from the hardware, even in the absence of many of contributing members of the Adreno GPU team?

Oh wait; a lot of those guys are gone, too.

Marko Laiho, BitBoys’ chief software architect and a director of engineering with Qualcomm Finland left half a year ago to start another stealth start-up, Vire Labs.Joining him is Joonas Torkelli, the BitBoys product manager for handheld IP, who was the graphics software lead in Finland for Qualcomm, Jani Huhtanen, a senior staff engineer with Qualcomm with expertise in GPU drivers and 2D/3D graphics algorithms, and Jusso Heikkila as the Vire Labs’s lead Android developer.They even have Kari Malmber as their creative director, a graphic designer who was with the BitBoys team and most recently worked at Qualcomm Finland on 3D material for demos and designing mobile phone user interfaces.

With the exodus of several important players, there is no question that Qualcomm's graphics division was dealt a big blow. Human talent that was once exclusive to Qualcomm is now found in two stealth start-ups that clearly intend to license their technology to as many customers as possible.

Husker86

GSM unlocked isn't available directly in the US (expansys/negri/etc are intl imported). The "real" was just a jab at the Verizon model. Most devs don't want to be tied to a 2k+ contract to have a phone to test.

But you can buy the VZW model out of contract...for less than an unlocked model (though not directly from Verizon, but who does that?)

If it was purely a dev device, is the network connection really needed? I have no dev experience so this could very well be so.

kehs

Banned
But you can buy the VZW model out of contract...for less than an unlocked model (though not directly from Verizon, but who does that?)

If it was purely a dev device, is the network connection really needed? I have no dev experience so this could very well be so.

I remember a whole fiasco when they gave away EVOs on Sprint at I/O because they needed to have service in order to even access the phone. Not sure what the situation is with Verizon phones now though.

So how do you take screenshots on android? On the iPhone you hit lock and home at the same time but nothing I can figure out works like that on android. What combination does a screenshot?

Sarcasm

Samsung exhibit II 4G running gingerbread.

And voice commands are useless for me for calls and text messages. The software doesn't like my family name or any of my friends names. :/ What a disappointment.

Odd even my phone which is years old voice loves my wife's family..and its all Chinese names.

Maybe its you ;)

Odd even my phone which is years old voice loves my wife's family..and its all Chinese names.

Maybe its you ;)

maybe, my last name is french and my friends is french and Tunisian and it hates all of them and murders it horribly. Once it thought I said annette took the bus or some ridiculous nonsense like that.

Sarcasm

maybe, my last name is french and my friends is french and Tunisian and it hates all of them and murders it horribly. Once it thought I said annette took the bus or some ridiculous nonsense like that.

I have never really found voice support on phones that well. But the technology only has improved so slightly.

I have never really found voice support on phones that well. But the technology only has improved so slightly.

Ya, I wish you could just say first names instead of contacts full name. I want both listed on contact but some work if I only have the first name. I guess I need friends with more generic last names. :( Stupid french.

And ya, I never thought it was great but the recent push of siri and the google voice commands I assumed a lot of progress was made with voice recognition. It understands the commands fine, just not the pronunciations of last names. :(

Al-ibn Kermit

Samsung exhibit II 4G running gingerbread.

And voice commands are useless for me for calls and text messages. The software doesn't like my family name or any of my friends names. :/ What a disappointment.
I think you have to press the home button and lock button at the same time. At least that's how you do it on my phone which is also a Samsung.

Sarcasm

Ya, I wish you could just say first names instead of contacts full name. I want both listed on contact but some work if I only have the first name. I guess I need friends with more generic last names. :( Stupid french.

And ya, I never thought it was great but the recent push of siri and the google voice commands I assumed a lot of progress was made with voice recognition. It understands the commands fine, just not the pronunciations of last names. :(

Than you just fell for marketing. All siri is is it talks back to you lol. Other wise it does what most other devices do in same regard.

kehs

Banned

Have you tried putting something in the nickname field? I think call/text commands will respond to the nickname field.

Have you tried putting something in the nickname field? I think call/text commands will respond to the nickname field.

No I haven't, I'll give that a shot.

Than you just fell for marketing. All siri is is it talks back to you lol. Other wise it does what most other devices do in same regard.

No... Siri is just like google voice and you can give commands like "call tim", "send text to john", etc. Yes, I fell for it being better but how would I know until I tried it? It would be different if I got it to work once, which it hasn't which is disappointing.

Sarcasm

No... Siri is just like google voice and you can give commands like "call tim", "send text to john", etc. Yes, I fell for it being better but how would I know until I tried it? It would be different if I got it to work once, which it hasn't which is disappointing.

Not trying to start a flame war but that stuff was part of voice commands, though I haven't used Google Voice just the basic voice commands. Some older models would call it the Genius Button. I even had this on a BB at some point. Its not new. The creepy robot human voice is though.

Now this is going from my personal experience.

Sarcasm

I only got to use Siri for about 15 minutes so my experience with it is limited. I am mainly talking about texting and whatnot.

Not trying to start a flame war but that stuff was part of voice commands, though I haven't used Google Voice just the basic voice commands. Some older models would call it the Genius Button. I even had this on a BB at some point. Its not new. The creepy robot human voice is though.

Yes, and I know that but I remember it being able to understand people speaking to it was really spotty. I assumed the voice recognition had become a lot better which is all I was talking about. The same how windows initial handwriting recognition was shitty but handwriting recognition in windows 7 has been really nice. Like I said I haven't had it understand me correctly yet which is frustrating.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but do I need a bigger pause between the command and what the message should contain? It keeps adding contact name to message. Like if I say "sent txt to john smith I'm going to be late" it makes a text message with no recipient but the body says"john smith i'm going to be late". Not sure why it's not putting it as the recipient/contact name.

Circle T

Just so everyone is clear, "Voice Actions for Android" and "Google Voice" are two different products.

Is there anyway to watch amazon vod movies on an android phone? I figured I could just play it in opera? But when I get to the product page and try to click "watch instantly" nothing happens and acts like it's not a button. The other buttons like add to wish list work though. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom