• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circle T

Is there anyway to watch amazon vod movies on an android phone? I figured I could just play it in opera? But when I get to the product page and try to click "watch instantly" nothing happens and acts like it's not a button. The other buttons like add to wish list work though. :/

I just tried to load up the site, and video was playing fine for me (Stock ICS browser, GNex). Load up the full site for amazon.com, not the mobile site, and you should be able to play stuff. Full screen worked fine as well.

*Edit - screenshot*

8hIBm.png

Ashhong

Siri is so much more advanced than Voice Search guys, lets not pretend that this isn't true. It's not just a "creepy robot voice". The way it understands your words, not just commands, is amazing. I want it.

Siri is so much more advanced than Voice Search guys, lets not pretend that this isn't true. It's not just a "creepy robot voice". The way it understands your words, not just commands, is amazing. I want it.

Siri really knows me, in a way that Android never will. Siri understands my needs and wants and completes me emotionally. Siri is Love.

Circle T

Personally, I hate all of them. I don't want to talk to my phone, period. It might be slightly slower for me to manually set an alarm, or text someone, or whatever, but that's fine. I prefer not conversing with inanimate objects.

[/oldguyboat]

I just tried to load up the site, and video was playing fine for me (Stock ICS browser, GNex). Load up the full site for amazon.com, not the mobile site, and you should be able to play stuff. Full screen worked fine as well.

*Edit - screenshot*

8hIBm.png

I'm definitely on the full site. If I tap the green watch now thing happens, it doesn't even try to load something like it's a button. Is it flash? Flash is installed automatically right or do I need to download it off the marketplace?

Edit: Nope, flash player is installed... Is there something that would prevent if my phone isn't good enough? I would think it would at least try to load.

Edit 2: Odd, if I use the built in "web" app it works fine, if I use Opera it doesn't do anything. Which browser were you using?

Circle T

I'm definitely on the full site. If I tap the green watch now thing happens, it doesn't even try to load something like it's a button. Is it flash? Flash is installed automatically right or do I need to download it off the marketplace?

Edit: Nope, flash player is installed... Is there something that would prevent if my phone isn't good enough? I would think it would at least try to load.

Edit 2: Odd, if I use the built in "web" app it works fine, if I use Opera it doesn't do anything. Which browser were you using?

The stock browser from Ice Cream Sandwich on my Galaxy Nexus. I just loaded up the full site, went to the streaming section, and clicked the first show I found. That happened to be Sons of Anarchy. It started playing with no hitches, both normal and full screen. I also tried the "HD" version, which played, and looked, great as well.

The stock browser from Ice Cream Sandwich on my Galaxy Nexus. I just loaded up the full site, went to the streaming section, and clicked the first show I found. That happened to be Sons of Anarchy. It started playing with no hitches, both normal and full screen. I also tried the "HD" version, which played, and looked, great as well.

Alright I guess I'm the same but not on ICS obviously. If I use the stock browser it works fine but I've mostly been using opera and the watch now button doesn't respond in Opera for some reason. I even messed with the flash settings for Opera and nothing worked. It's weird it doesn't want to work in it.

gcubed

Alright I guess I'm the same but not on ICS obviously. If I use the stock browser it works fine but I've mostly been using opera and the watch now button doesn't respond in Opera for some reason. I even messed with the flash settings for Opera and nothing worked. It's weird it doesn't want to work in it.

its opera, its not weird at all

as far as functionality probably but not a lot of sites recognize opera, ever test against opera, etc. So you run into compatibility issues because no one really cares.

So what's a better alternative? The stock one? I'm on gingerbread that's why I'm curious if there's something better than the stock one.

Edit: What is the stock one even called? It just says "web" on my phone and I can't find it in the app store to see if there's any updates available for it.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
So what's a better alternative? The stock one? I'm on gingerbread that's why I'm curious if there's something better than the stock one.

Edit: What is the stock one even called? It just says "web" on my phone and I can't find it in the app store to see if there's any updates available for it.

SkyFire use to be awesome for flash videos. It was more optimized for flash than the stock a year ago.

gcubed

well, i dont think opera replaces stock, so if you like opera and if you have an issue just go to that page in stock.

Angst

Go to manage apps and opera - clear defaults.

Go to manage apps and opera - clear defaults.

What will that do?

well, i dont think opera replaces stock, so if you like opera and if you have an issue just go to that page in stock.

Is there any way to scroll to the top quickly with the stock? It scrolls much faster than most but is there a thing like tapping the title bar on iPhone safari? That doesn't seem to work since it thinks I'm trying to open notifications obviously.

str8-h4x

Dolphin gets a lot of play on my devices. Alternatively you can flash the ICS browser if you can find a dump for it. I've seen it on XDA, I believe.

Most of the time, the stock browser works fine. I'm using Dolphin for the plug-ins.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Use dolphin HD. It's the most fully featured browser.

I've run ICS barren and with Sense 3.5 on my Rezound. There's actually a lot of stuff I really like about Sense, but it's nice to have the option of getting rid of it if I want to.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I like Sony's customizations as far as OEM design's go.

That Sense 4.0 abortion looks like those Windows Mobile custom roms from the late 2000's

AndyD

aka andydumi

It works with Dolphin HD just fine on Gingerbread. I just tried it on my Thunderbolt. No issues whatsoever.

After clicking the green arrows to the right of the videos in the list the video screen pops up and has an arrow on it. Click it and it starts playing. Then you can go HD, fullscreen, whatever you want.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Anyone got a mirror that video, its set to private now.

Edit: Found one, jesus that's ugly. The icons in the settings menu look dreadful.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
What's with all the crying? I enjoy Sense. 3.0 is a huge leap over 1.0. I hated 1.0 so much that I put on 8 different launchers. I haven't done that with 3.0 at all. 4.0 looks cool. If you don't like it, then root it. HTC gives you that option unlike other companies.......

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
OH MY I just flashed a CM9 Alpha onto my Atrix and it's SO GOOD. It just shits all over CM7 as far as UI goes.

ICS changed the game for me. It's a no contest between the best mobile OSes anymore, IMO. Now all we need are beautiful apps and game support. That's all I miss from iOS. And a bit more consistent UI.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
OH MY I just flashed a CM9 Alpha onto my Atrix and it's SO GOOD. It just shits all over CM7 as far as UI goes.
I had ICS on my Vibrant but changed recently to CM7 for a bit more stability. I liked ics but CM7 seems pretty sweet as well.

What particular improvements do you like the most?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Personally, I hate all of them. I don't want to talk to my phone, period. It might be slightly slower for me to manually set an alarm, or text someone, or whatever, but that's fine. I prefer not conversing with inanimate objects.

[/oldguyboat]
I use Vlingo in car beta which is pretty useful while driving , but other than that talking to my phone is not appealing. I don't really care for the siri text parsing, I can give the key words I want just fine. I would like siri os level integration though, being able to launch apps by voice while driving is kinda pointless if you can't navigate and exit them by voice as well.

BobDylan

Ok so I picked up the HTC inspire last spring and have loved it but lately i have beem running into some problems. I can't send texts to certain people. I hit send and the text just remains in the text box. When I check my messages some contacts will show up as just the number and not the name I have saved for them. It has also been starting to freeze to where I have to take out the battery. I am wondering if this is a common problem with an easy fix or am I fucked. I don't download a lot of aps, mostly just for the internet.

Ok so I picked up the HTC inspire last spring and have loved it but lately i have beem running into some problems. I can't send texts to certain people. I hit send and the text just remains in the text box. When I check my messages some contacts will show up as just the number and not the name I have saved for them. It has also been starting to freeze to where I have to take out the battery. I am wondering if this is a common problem with an easy fix or am I fucked. I don't download a lot of aps, mostly just for the internet.

My Inspire has been having similar problems. Screen freezes and won't turn back on, touch buttons stopped working randomly, Messages screen just shows numbers (that's apparently a common problem on the HTC forums). It's not that frequent but it is annoying. Also the photo gallery randomly loses pictures or shows them as corrupted (run SDrescan to fix, also a known problem).

I just threw up a little in my mouth. HTC strike me as the nouveau riche of the Android UI world. They are as subtle as a bright pink Ferrari. Instead of all the ridiculous 3D effects, over the top transitions and inconsistent UI they could have gone pure stock but included Holo themed versions of their best Widgets and services. HTC just don't get that sometimes less is more. I actually remember when sense looked better than stock but that was back in Android 1.6. They still make hardware with nicer materials than anyone else though.

Evi, one of the Siri clones for Android is working a lot better now. If you haven't tried it or tried it before and had the server issues, try it again. It is pretty cool now.

nVrGIofKiS56P8VHAYBlzH4u6SmEZx-4f9pUS9l049pzbnLeD2ailbjC9-O_Wnqj=w124

Dizzan

MINI Member
When are the new generation of tablets due? I was keen on the Transformer Prime but the GPS and wi-fi issues have turned me off (plus the higher spec'd model coming soon).

Any news on this would be great.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
When are the new generation of tablets due? I was keen on the Transformer Prime but the GPS and wi-fi issues have turned me off (plus the higher spec'd model coming soon).

Any news on this would be great.

Maybe wait for MWC at the end of february.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom