• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
just think, you can own one of 10 padfones that will be sold!

If they deliver the padfone in a housing like the prime, with dock compatibility, 1080p screen, and a compact fullscreen faced phone that takes 12mp photos. They'll sell like 20 of them.

ICS changed the game for me. It's a no contest between the best mobile OSes anymore, IMO. Now all we need are beautiful apps and game support. That's all I miss from iOS. And a bit more consistent UI.
Yeah, ICS is by far my favorite OS of the bunch; if it had the apps & games of iOS I'd be in heaven. One day...one day.

reKon

Banned
Yeah, ICS is by far my favorite OS of the bunch; if it had the apps & games of iOS I'd be in heaven. One day...one day.

What I don't get is what games does iOS have that are so amazing? I always here about how great the difference is yet I see my friends with all of these crappy games.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What I don't get is what games does iOS have that are so amazing? I always here about how great the difference is yet I see my friends with all of these crappy games.
A good version of Carcassonne is my main one. If Android had a cross platform (with) ios version of Carcassonne I would be happy enough with the app store.

kinggroin

Banned

Eh, I sorta agree to an extent. I mean in comparison to the library of say, the DS, mobile phone gaming even on iOS is pretty lackluster. Still, there's obviously a market for this kind of mobile gaming, even on android. It'd be nice to have Street Fighter IV actually be released day and date with its iPhone counterpart and maintain all features.

Menelaus

Banned
Evi, one of the Siri clones for Android is working a lot better now. If you haven't tried it or tried it before and had the server issues, try it again. It is pretty cool now.

nVrGIofKiS56P8VHAYBlzH4u6SmEZx-4f9pUS9l049pzbnLeD2ailbjC9-O_Wnqj=w124

Not particularly impressed. Couldn't even give me the weather.

Threi

notag
i dislike blue but i gotta say the ics style "fad" that everyone and everything is on has given the platform something it needed desperately: UI unification. I can finally have all my stuff looking like it matches together, even on gingerbread, just because everything has a "mimic ics" theme.

Dicer

Banned
Just poppin in to say My Rezound with the Ineffabilis-Deus rom is the cat's pajama's.

So glad I opted for it over the GN.

Sarcasm

Finally after years I upgraded.

Galaxy Note. White.

I have some apps but what is recommended? Also any tips with it? I figured out some stuff.

Also how do I sync my browser with chrome?

markot

Banned
Why isnt Ghost Trick on android >_<?!

Also I think you need to sign into chrome then download an app for chrome syncage on the market.

Al-ibn Kermit

Finally after years I upgraded.

Galaxy Note. White.

I have some apps but what is recommended? Also any tips with it? I figured out some stuff.

Also how do I sync my browser with chrome?

Assuming you're new to Android and looking for any recommendations, just scroll through this thread and see whatever tickles your fancy.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457282

Also Joefu posted a link a few posts up to a new "humble bundle" which includes four decent games (you can choose whatever you want to pay for it).

Also get the Amazon app store app. It's Amazon's own Android marketplace and every day, they give away a new app away for free. It's always an app that you would normally have to pay for and while it's often not a top tier app, every now and then there's a gem.

Also get the Amazon app store app. It's Amazon's own Android marketplace and every day, they give away a new app away for free. It's always an app that you would normally have to pay for and while it's often not a top tier app, every now and then there's a gem.

Where? I don't see a free app, all there is is a search bar and some recommendations,

Zizbuka

Banned
Siri is so much more advanced than Voice Search guys, lets not pretend that this isn't true. It's not just a "creepy robot voice". The way it understands your words, not just commands, is amazing. I want it.

Woz said it used to be really good, now it gets confused. Anyway, I'll never understand the appeal of talking to your phone. Maybe I'm just too old.

Sarcasm

Where? I don't see a free app, all there is is a search bar and some recommendations,

Google Amazon App Store.

Daily they give out free apps that you normally have to pay. It worked for me when I was in USA. I live outside of USA now but got app installed, and it still has the ones I got in past. Gonna see how it works for future.

Sarcasm

So far I have one complaint about my Note.

The email app they have is slow. I am staring on my PC at a new email and yet nothing on my phone. (I have the stock one not notify since the one on Note - sure samsung one does to).

And why doesn't it mark read on my gmail account PC??

Angst

Are you using push in sync settings? I usually get the notification on my phone before I get the mail on my PC due to the phone having to download less data than outlook on PC.

Sarcasm

Now this is the app that came with phone but not the stock stock app.

And I don't know, my old phone I used stock which looks same as current stock..may go back to that but its nice having split view etc.

gcubed

Http live streaming

Apples baby. ICS fully supports it so media streaming services can use the same method as they use on their ios apps. When Comcast releases their equivalent to whats on ios for streaming on demand its going to be ICS and above only. Id assume in that area you will start seeing it alot.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The international one will most likely work on Tmo...if you want to risk it.

But yea AT&T got it. Isn't AT&T still buying Tmo though?

International version doesn't have Tmo 3G. Welcome, Best galaxy User!

Speaking of devices with Galaxy in them:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/01/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-launch-event/

Some phones are just too big for Mobile World Congress. That's Samsung's thinking, given the triumphant launch of its Galaxy S II -- in all its guises. While specifications for Sammy's next flagship are spinning rumor windmills across the web, there's nothing particularly concrete on what we'll be seeing just yet. However, in an official statement received by Techradar, it revealed that the phone will be treated to its very own launch -- something it's also plotting for its new Google TV sets. In its own words:

"Samsung is looking forward to introducing and demonstrating exciting new mobile products at Mobile World Congress 2012. The successor to the Galaxy S2 smartphone will be unveiled at a separate Samsung-hosted event in the first half of the year, closer to commercial availability of the product."

At least it sounds like there will still plenty to test out later this month -- and probably a whole new raft of confusing naming conventions.

The Galaxy S III will have it's own separate launch event, not at MWC

Is there any news yet on what's holding up ICS on the Nexus S? I know there are places to download the update that was originally released but I'm hesitant :)

Sarcasm

The simplified chinese from the pinyin keyboard is a huge let down. I only know traditional (since I am learning it).

Yet the Taiwanese pinyin (the weird symbols) traditional comes out. What a load of crap.

yogloo

One thing I don't get about android. How hard is it to create a tabbed browser where the tabs show up all the time. So that we don't need to scroll all the way up just to change tab.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
One thing I don't get about android. How hard is it to create a tabbed browser where the tabs show up all the time. So that we don't need to scroll all the way up just to change tab.

That sounds like a waste of screen space. When you get Ice Cream Sandwich, there will be a quick pop up menu to let you accomplish your task. It's much better than having tabs show up all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom