• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

str8-h4x

One thing I don't get about android. How hard is it to create a tabbed browser where the tabs show up all the time. So that we don't need to scroll all the way up just to change tab.

not sure if serious.....

If you are, what browser specifically? Most can be accessed via the menu key.

Marco1

So looking forward to coming to android for the first time soon.
Looking at the sony xperia S, any views on what I should expect or anything better?
Thanks.

yogloo

I'm serious about it. I like the icab setup on ios. It doesn't take that much space anyway to show tabs. Having to press menu everytime you want to change tabs is a hassle. Plus, I am using a galaxy note, I have plenty screen estate!
Maybe it annoys me because of the way I read gaf. I usually go to the main page, look at all the threads that interests me then I open all of them on background tabs. Then I cycle through all of them whenever one of them is loading.
Btw, is there any shortcut in android to scroll the top or the bottom? Kinda like ios?

gcubed

I'm serious about it. I like the icab setup on ios. It doesn't take that much space anyway to show tabs. Having to press menu everytime you want to change tabs is a hassle. Plus, I am using a galaxy note, I have plenty screen estate!
Maybe it annoys me because of the way I read gaf. I usually go to the main page, look at all the threads that interests me then I open all of them on background tabs. Then I cycle through all of them whenever one of them is loading.
Btw, is there any shortcut in android to scroll the top or the bottom? Kinda like ios?

in ICS there is a slide in menu. You move your thumb from the side of teh screen, a pop up appears, you move your thumb to the tab section of the little pop up and all your tabs sit there for you to choose from. a much much better solution then a static tab section on your screen.

jee

The 2 browsers that came with my MIUI have tabs visible all the time. Not sure what the default browser is called or if it can be downloaded from the market, but the other browser is Maxthon.

str8-h4x

In addition, the previously mentioned Dolphin has gestures that will probably be put to good use. The screen-estate on your device would be a weird middle ground between apps designed for a phone, and that of a tablet. #jealous

yogloo

I can't wait for ICS! The note's screen estate is huge, but being forced to use mostly apps designed for smaller phones are irritating. My phablet deserves tablet mode for everything!!
Thanks for the suggestions for the browsers. I'll try them out.

Yuripaw

Banned
Not really a gaming related question, but for about a year now I've had an Android phone through verizon. It's a HTC Droid Incredible, and for a while I was really happy with this thing. It was my first smart phone, so who wouldn't be? However it seems like lately that the apps on the phone don't wanna work properly! Seems like the more firmware updates that become available, the more this this turns to shit.

I mean, for one thing, my free version of Angry Birds deleted itself at one time. I never uninstalled it, and it just did it itself. However the biggest problem I'm having now is how some apps just DO NOT WORK anymore. My gmail account does not update at all. No new messages are ever received, when I can clearly log in on my computer and see I've gotten like 3 new messages. I was getting email just fine until about 2 weeks ago.

I use AIM to chat my friends quite a bit, and that's another app that just refuses to work when it used to with no problems. It NEVER logs me in. I'll hit sign in, and it'll sit there cycling forever trying to log in, but do nothing.

Another thing that's just really annoying is how I have a little notification on top that never goes away that says "low on storage" Bull shit! I got 1.1 gb free on my 2gb SD card available, and over 6gb available on the phone it self (which I wish I knew how to access. I wish I could install some apps on the actual phone and not the SD card)

I don't know who I would contact for some of these problems. Would I contact verizon, or the manufacturer? I'm really getting fed up with this thing not working for basic functions like email at least.

EDIT: and yes, I have removed the battery, and tried restarting my phone, and leaving it off for a while.

Futureman

are you talking about the Droid Incredible 2? That would make sense as that phone is about a year old, but maybe you mean the original Incredible.

Original Incredible is pretty damn old at this point, so that is part of the issue if that's the phone you have. If you don't have any custom ROMs are anything on your phone, yea, just go into the Verizon Store and I'm sure they can do something for you.

my Droid X is about 1.5 years old now and still runs pretty great (on a custom ROM). Maybe you got ketchup all over you phone and it's leaking in?

try out a custom ROM if you haven't yet.

kehs

Banned
Not really a gaming related question, but for about a year now I've had an Android phone through verizon. It's a HTC Droid Incredible, and for a while I was really happy with this thing. It was my first smart phone, so who wouldn't be? However it seems like lately that the apps on the phone don't wanna work properly! Seems like the more firmware updates that become available, the more this this turns to shit.

I mean, for one thing, my free version of Angry Birds deleted itself at one time. I never uninstalled it, and it just did it itself. However the biggest problem I'm having now is how some apps just DO NOT WORK anymore. My gmail account does not update at all. No new messages are ever received, when I can clearly log in on my computer and see I've gotten like 3 new messages. I was getting email just fine until about 2 weeks ago.

I use AIM to chat my friends quite a bit, and that's another app that just refuses to work when it used to with no problems. It NEVER logs me in. I'll hit sign in, and it'll sit there cycling forever trying to log in, but do nothing.

Another thing that's just really annoying is how I have a little notification on top that never goes away that says "low on storage" Bull shit! I got 1.1 gb free on my 2gb SD card available, and over 6gb available on the phone it self (which I wish I knew how to access. I wish I could install some apps on the actual phone and not the SD card)

I don't know who I would contact for some of these problems. Would I contact verizon, or the manufacturer? I'm really getting fed up with this thing not working for basic functions like email at least.

EDIT: and yes, I have removed the battery, and tried restarting my phone, and leaving it off for a while.

The low storage warning is the reason for all your issues regarding gmail/chat/etc. Check the intermal memory where the apps are installed.

There's three sections of user accessible storage:
Internal System (probably about 1 gig for you if I'm remembering right)
Internal Storage (6gb for you)
SD Storage (3gb for you)

If the first one dips below 20 megs of available...well google services don't work, it's ridiculous.

In the system options go to apps and you should see a bar at the bottom telling you how much free space you have in the internal system.

Yuripaw

Banned
The low storage warning is the reason for all your issues regarding gmail/chat/etc. Check the intermal memory where the apps are installed.

There's three sections of user accessible storage:
Internal System (probably about 1 gig for you if I'm remembering right)
Internal Storage (6gb for you)
SD Storage (3gb for you)

If the first one dips below 20 megs of available...well google services don't work, it's ridiculous.

In the system options go to apps and you should see a bar at the bottom telling you how much free space you have in the internal system.

Internal storage: 304mb used, 444mb free
sd card: 806mb used, 1.1gb free
ram: 139mb used, 187mb free

Not sure how to access the different internal storages.... when i connect my phone to my PC, i have seen there is some sort of storage with over 6gb free that's going to waste.

Circle T

LOL, finally. Only 14 months after release...

http://an.droid-life.com/2012/02/01...es-official-android-2-3-6-gingerbread-update/

AndroidLife said:
In an official statement from AT&T, the Gingerbread update for the Samsung Infuse 4G is now rolling out! You will be running the most recent version of Gingerbread, version 2.3.6.

Official Changelog:
  • Improved Copy and Paste functionality
  • Redesigned Multi Touch Software Keyboard
  • Download manager for long running HTTP downloads
  • Improved power management and application control
  • Notification Shade: “Flight Mode” added (“Silent” removed)
  • New Fonts options added include Choco Cooky, Cool Jazz, Rosemary
  • Keyboard Changes: Android Keyboard with Wider Spaced keys and Quick Keys at the top
  • New Widgets: The name of the content provider will be listed on the widget list along with the widget name. Previously only the widget name was provided.
  • New Widget: Traffic (Android) added to list of available widgets
  • Menu Changes/New Apps: Downloads and Google Books added new, Promotional pre-load of Angry Birds removed*.

Users will not be to pull the update OTA, but actually have to go to this site in order to update your device. And of course, it’s down at the moment. Keep checking back to see when AT&T fixes it. Good luck and enjoy!

Barrett2

My Infuse has been very slow lately. Yesterday I uninstalled Launcher Pro and rebooted, and the phone is drastically faster now running the basic Samsung UI.

Is it common for the launchers to kill performance like that?

Threi

notag
*edit* i can't read lol

Anyways if you are on the infuse try out the zeus rom. Very solid.

Mine is pretty snappy regardless of the launcher. try go launcher or adw.

Kagami

The simplified chinese from the pinyin keyboard is a huge let down. I only know traditional (since I am learning it).

Yet the Taiwanese pinyin (the weird symbols) traditional comes out. What a load of crap.
Not sure if I'm understanding you, but do you mean it's displaying the wrong Chinese font?
You may need to install a different Chinese font and change the phone's font setting.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.hongik.fontomizerSP

(In some special cases you may need to root the phone and manually put a ttf file in the system fonts directory, but in my testing on the Note, the only app that required that to behave how I wanted it was the Android Market.)

Al-ibn Kermit

I don't have ics on my phone so I can't say how its browser compares but I use Dolphin Browser HD which would seem to meet your needs, basically.

It has a semi-transparent gesture button that you can set on the bottom left or right corner which lets you draw a pie shaped arrow if you want to go to the bottom or top of the screen and you can draw left right or right arrows to go backwards or forwards.

I manually set it to switch to the left or rigt tab by drawing an L or R. I also set it to close a tab by drawing an alpha symbol and to find a word on the page by drawing a letter C. All very convenient for forum browsing.

I just double checked, you can customize any gesture to any action so you can make it to switch to the left or right tab when drawing left and right arrows rather than going forward and backwards.

Husker86

Internal storage: 304mb used, 444mb free
sd card: 806mb used, 1.1gb free
ram: 139mb used, 187mb free

Not sure how to access the different internal storages.... when i connect my phone to my PC, i have seen there is some sort of storage with over 6gb free that's going to waste.

The original Incredible suffers from that low storage bug. Sorry I don't have a solution but I can tell you that there are a large chunk of users experiencing that. I've heard deleting texts helps. My roommate's got so bad that he couldn't receive texts.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
New google docs update. Now with offline saving of docs and much better tablet interface.

Jim

That low storage notification will stop things such as email from working properly since the phone believes you don't have space to actually fetch new messages.

I'm still using an Incredible and it works better now than when I first got it almost 2 years ago. I'm using the latest, stock Gingerbread ROM (2.3.4, build 4.08.605.2). Low storage used to be an issue on my phone until the Gingerbread + patch came out in mid November.

What version of Gingerbread do you have? (they pushed the Gingerbread update AND a patch after it, that some people seemed to have missed) Have you done a factory reset?

Sarcasm

Not sure if I'm understanding you, but do you mean it's displaying the wrong Chinese font?
You may need to install a different Chinese font and change the phone's font setting.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.hongik.fontomizerSP

(In some special cases you may need to root the phone and manually put a ttf file in the system fonts directory, but in my testing on the Note, the only app that required that to behave how I wanted it was the Android Market.)

iU487XiiD2waX.png

Thats simplified charcter coming from xi haun, which I want 喜歡.

I don't recognize simplified characters.

**Holy is the galaxy note screen shot huge.....

*** Resized the image on PC

gcubed

nope, i never would have said one step forward. Most places would lack the nuance in my writing. I would get rejected for titles like "Sense 4... shit on a stick edition" or "HTC... what happens when people with talent no longer work at a company". I would never get a review unit ever again... to which i would write: i am no longer getting HTC review units. As it stands I will keep reviewing the HTC Desire because they haven't changed anything.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How come there's a f.lux for my iPad but not for my Android phone?

kehs

Banned
nope, i never would have said one step forward. Most places would lack the nuance in my writing. I would get rejected for titles like "Sense 4... shit on a stick edition" or "HTC... what happens when people with talent no longer work at a company". I would never get a review unit ever again... to which i would write: i am no longer getting HTC review units. As it stands I will keep reviewing the HTC Desire because they haven't changed anything.

haha, god damn.

CM has an amazing light sensor control as well as temp controls already. f.lux is like one line of code away from being on android.

Kagami

iU487XiiD2waX.png

Thats simplified charcter coming from xi haun, which I want 喜歡.
My knowledge of Chinese fonts is too limited heh.
So in other words a Chinese font generally always has both traditional and simplified, and it's just the keyboard that's only offering simplified?
What I mean is, are you able to see 喜歡 displayed just fine on the Note, but you just can't type it?

I've been a bit out of the loop but what's with the HTC hate? I've got a Rezound and this thing flies. The asthetics are a bit blocky but the internals are top notch and everthing just works. Unlocked bootloader too.

After my issues with the Eris and Dinc I don't get the hate after they release their best phone. The time for hate was when they were releasing shit phones, IMO.

The step up in quality here is substantial.

Sarcasm

My knowledge of Chinese fonts is too limited heh.
So in other words a Chinese font generally always has both traditional and simplified, and it's just the keyboard that's only offering simplified?
What I mean is, are you able to see 喜歡 displayed just fine on the Note, but you just can't type it?
Correct. The taiwanese style bapamafa pinyin (don't know what they call it) traditional comes out.

Sarcasm

This is stock:

iNlet2FyjSDRf.png
Output is traditional which I know. This is xi huan. I looked this up on how to type it.

iU487XiiD2waX.png
This is how I know how to type in, pinyin. The output is simplified. Which I don't really know.

Both mean the same, I rather have traditional. I found a hong kong download that puts pinyin on their type keyboard but wanna see what I can officially do.

i dont really get the hate. Ive been using the transformer prime since last week, and even though its a nice device, i would like it better if this thing had sense on it.

rozay

Banned
To be honest I've seen much, much worse icon packs and themes than the newest versions of sense (not saying it isn't gaudy). I would never think of using it myself (I put it on my N1 back in the day for 8 minutes then flashed back to stock android) but I'm sure there are people it appeals to. I would at least move the overall theme closer to holo.

At the same time, as google continues to add social features and widgets, the need for these custom skins lessens dramatically. Back in the day sense added plenty of features that weren't in 2.1-2.3 and it was acceptable to me that they were adding in missing social functionality, but I don't feel that's the case anymore.

EDIT: lol
But it's not sweet enough to make up for what follows: the white menu. Seriously? Froyo (and it's predecessors), despite its ugly white notification bar, still had a much sleeker black menu (as did previous Sense phones). Combine the Sense 4 menu with those huge colorful icons, and it looks like a Playskool toy.
and yet I'm pretty sure he would praise the redone white colored messaging, contacts and youtube app in 4.0...

kehs

Banned
I like sense to be honest, though they seem to not have moved much in two years, they're copying apple a little too much.

I used a sense port for about two months on my N1 as well. It was mainly for the black status bar now that I remember.

because you don't have an iPhone.

I've been a bit out of the loop but what's with the HTC hate? I've got a Rezound and this thing flies. The asthetics are a bit blocky but the internals are top notch and everthing just works. Unlocked bootloader too.

After my issues with the Eris and Dinc I don't get the hate after they release their best phone. The time for hate was when they were releasing shit phones, IMO.

The step up in quality here is substantial.

two things

1) Sense: if you think the phone is flying now, imagine how much faster it would be with stock Android or TouchWiz, etc...'

2) Qualcomm: imagine if you had a phone with a SoC that wasn't bottom of the barrel, it's be smoother than a newborn's asscheeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom