• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circle T

two things

1) Sense: if you think the phone is flying now, imagine how much faster it would be with stock Android or TouchWiz, etc...'

2) Qualcomm: imagine if you had a phone with a SoC that wasn't bottom of the barrel, it's be smoother than a newborn's asscheeks!

I have to say, after using the Skyrocket for the last couple weeks as my work phone, I'm going to ratchet my indiscriminate hate of Qualcomm down a bit. In 95% of the things I do everyday with a phone, it feels identical to the Exynos GSII that I was using previously. I would still prefer Exynos, obviously, but really, the Qualcomm stuff isn't terrible.

Kagami

This is stock:
http://i.minus.com/iNlet2FyjSDRf.png
Output is traditional which I know. This is xi huan. I looked this up on how to type it.

http://i.minus.com/iU487XiiD2waX.png
This is how I know how to type in, pinyin. The output is simplified. Which I don't really know.
Wow that's quite strange that it's not the same for both. You'd think the output would be the same regardless of the entry method, with some kind of toggle setting in the keyboard settings to choose the output.

I wouldn't obsess with sticking with the stock keyboard if you find one you can download that does what you want.
I can't use the stock keyboard at all because I need a Japanese one and no Note comes with that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I miss my droid, peeps over in the iPhone thread can't believe one might not like how they implement things into the os.

You're trolling pretty hard in there. And it's not even reasonable trolling. You take the good and the bad when switching platforms. Android does some things better, iOS does other things better.

kehs

Banned
I had a client today come in, he was showing me a picture on his iphone4(s?). That thing is tiny. Anyways I told him to email it but he couldnt figure out (you can't attach directly from the email right?) so he ended up just texting it to me (good thing they caved on mms!). He saw my GN and asked about, he waw surprised you could zoom in on photos for some reason(can you not do that on mms pictures in ios?).

I'm always surprised when I see an iphone in person...it's so drab.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I had a client today come in, he was showing me a picture on his iphone4(s?). That thing is tiny. Anyways I told him to email it but he couldnt figure out (you can't attach directly from the email right?) so he ended up just texting it to me (good thing they caved on mms!). He saw my GN and asked about, he waw surprised you could zoom in on photos for some reason(can you not do that on mms pictures in ios?).

I'm always surprised when I see an iphone in person...it's so drab.

Drab? It still looks fantastic to this day. You can zoom in on MMS in iOS, IIRC. He could always just hold the picture, copy it, and paste it into an email. I don't see how that's any different than pasting it into an MMS.

You're trolling pretty hard in there. And it's not even reasonable trolling. You take the good and the bad when switching platforms. Android does some things better, iOS does other things better.

I know, but even when I said I didn't like the scrolling in ios they said I was crazy. I'm fine with my decision but I can still criticize what I'm using.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I can't wait for a tragic love story to develop between someone from this thread and someone from the iphone thread.

kehs

Banned
Drab? It still looks fantastic to this day. You can zoom in on MMS in iOS, IIRC. He could always just hold the picture, copy it, and paste it into an email. I don't see how that's any different than pasting it into an MMS.

From the day the phone leaked I didn't like the industrial look of it. It's....so sterile to me.

He was trying to email first but I didn't have a way to attach it. Then surrendered to mms.....for something that's going to on printed media btw....I almost facepalmed on the spot haha.

Bboy AJ

I know, but even when I said I didn't like the scrolling in ios they said I was crazy. I'm fine with my decision but I can still criticize what I'm using.
I don't think any of those people have actually used an Android phone for more than the two minutes they held someone else's phone. Scrolling on ICS in particular is amazing. It's so fast and not at all jerky.

From the day the phone leaked I didn't like the industrial look of it. It's....so sterile to me.
I love the industrial look. Metal, glass, straight edges, nice heft... Beautiful.

kehs

Banned
I like industrial too but only for this you don't directly interact with. Even holding it, I felt like I was in the middle of machine shop grabbing a random object.

I'll admit that the iphone4/s looks very nice (in black, white looks disgusting to me). But it's too small and the glass is just an accident waiting to happen. Over the past week I've seen 3 shattered screens on iphone 4/s. You HAVE to put a case on it which drops the looks exponentially and all you'll have is a heavy ugly phone with a small screen.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I really like the way the iphone looks. It's just the tiny screen is such a dealbreaker. Every time I play around with one, it's such a pain in the ass to read anything on something that small.

JoeFu

Banned
iU487XiiD2waX.png

Thats simplified charcter coming from xi haun, which I want 喜歡.

I don't recognize simplified characters.

**Holy is the galaxy note screen shot huge.....

*** Resized the image on PC

Which IME are you using? I just tried it on google pinyin and I can get the traditional characters. I had to change the keyboard settings though

Al-ibn Kermit

In today's edition of Stupid Android Tricks, the world's most expensive pocket-SNES/SFC*.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34772327&postcount=79
*May require multiple pockets.

lol, why would you do that? I mean, you could just download the roms onto your phone rather than carrying all of that stuff around.

Although it would be fun to take that it into a coffee shop and start playing and seeing other people's expressions.

Angst

I'm going to the US next week and I've been thinking about picking up a tablet (don't tell me to get an iPad). Gotta make use of the favourable exchange rate.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to:

Asus Transformer prime - I really like the dock thing and the near-stock OS. I really dislike that it doesn't seem to be available anywhere.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 or 10.1 - need to see them in person to know for sure which size is right for me.

Anything I've missed?

I'm going to Orlando. Any advice on where to shop for electronics? Bestbuy?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Epic 4g touch got an update today. Wanted it to be iCS but alas.... Ginger update. Only difference is that the answer/deny buttons look like shit now.

Guys, question. I downloaded 3G Watchdog Pro to monitor my 3G usage, since I have a 500MB monthly limit. The Pro versions shows data usage by app. I noticed the data usage by something called 'OS services + others'. It used up 1.1MB in a half an hour or so. Why? What does the OS do that requires an internet connection?

gcubed

because you don't have an iPhone.

two things

1) Sense: if you think the phone is flying now, imagine how much faster it would be with stock Android or TouchWiz, etc...'

2) Qualcomm: imagine if you had a phone with a SoC that wasn't bottom of the barrel, it's be smoother than a newborn's asscheeks!

3) every phone since 2008 looks exactly the same

Mr Swine

Banned
Is it worth to buy a Samsung Galaxy R when new phones are going to get announced in a couple of months? My Optimus One is starting to show its age :/

kinggroin

Banned
It is an Android thread but since you made such a bold statement, I'm curious to know what things the iOS does better than Android?

Its still more consistent performance wise on the high end model. The UI, while painfully clinical and dull, is still more consistent. It has the better version of the same apps not made by Google.

...um...you can pinch to zoom in email.

If you're talking strictly ios as an OS and not the whole platform, then take out the apps argument.

kehs

Banned
Its still more consistent performance wise on the high end model. The UI, while painfully clinical and dull, is still more consistent. It has the better version of the same apps not made by Google.

...um...you can pinch to zoom in email.

If you're talking strictly ios as an OS and not the whole platform, then take out the apps argument.

It stills blows my mind they haven't turned on pinch to zoom in the email/gmail apps.

Lesiroth

because you don't have an iPhone.

two things

As much hate as Qualcomm gets, I'm pretty sure the S3(with the Adreno 220) is faster than the Tegra 2. I gues you could say it's not THE slowest thing on the market right now :p

kehs

Banned
That Samsung GS2+ (LTE, Super AMOLED+ HD, 4G ?) is going to feel real salty when jelly bean does away with the navigation keys and starts using Meemo-esque gesture controls.

_RT_

Why buy a phone that has buttons on the bottom???
ICS does away with them. Shit will be obsolete in 3 months.

giga

Samsung Galaxy S II 4G
Samsung Galaxy S II X
Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket HD
Samsung Galaxy R
Samsung Galaxy W
Samsung Galaxy S II LTE
Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE
Samsung Galaxy S Advance
Samsung Galaxy S II Duos
Samsung Galaxy S II Plus

"Not enough…still…not enough…"

Circle T

Something seems off in that image. The app folder in the lower right seems really small, and the way the rest of the widgets fill up the space seems off.

Also, has Samsung made a top-tier phone recently that doesn't have a HD screen?? If that has the HD SAMOLED screen, why are the icons in menu so large??

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Something seems off in that image. The app folder in the lower right seems really small, and the way the rest of the widgets fill up the space seems off.

Not to mention that ICS on Touchwiz doesn't have the menu "circle" on the bottom of the screen

Circle T

Not to mention that ICS on Touchwiz doesn't have the menu "circle" on the bottom of the screen

LOL, yea. Looking closer at it, that button isn't even circular in this image. REALLY bad Photoshopping.

So, yea, bad Photoshop confirmed. Can we finally stop putting any weight behind anything this guy says?

Futureman

FB app update turns notifications on when I previously had them turned off. That should be against some TOS for developers to not fuck with your settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom