• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
because you don't have an iPhone.

1) Sense: if you think the phone is flying now, imagine how much faster it would be with stock Android or TouchWiz, etc...'

2) Qualcomm: imagine if you had a phone with a SoC that wasn't bottom of the barrel, it's be smoother than a newborn's asscheeks!

Again, I think the sense hate is vastly overrated. I use an EVO4G (recently software updated to the version without carrierIQ, which frees up a good chunk of RAM) and the transformer prime.

The prime is smoother, but from a usability perspective there isn't a huge gain using the prime with ICS over my Evo. It might be more responsive, but if so we're talking fractions of a second, and some of the widgets that sense uses (specifically the web bookmarks one and the smaller of the "friends" widgets) makes it EASIER for me to use than the stock ICS setup the transformer has. I bought my girlfriend a nexus S about six months back using vanilla android, and even she thinks my phone is "better" than hers is, despite it being newer hardware. It looks boring in comparison, and the usability just isn't there.

sure, I could install beautiful widgets for extra money and whatnot and customize the hell out of it to gain the same functionality if I was interested, but since sense already includes that, why bother? My next phone will almost certainly be an HTC, with sense on it. I'm not going to bother with another nexus device.

note though that I haven't used sense 3.0 that's on the evo3D or (I assume) the rezound. I played around with it in store, and it seems different, but not substantially so.

yogloo

Smooth scrolling and apps.
Somehow the apps for ios are just designed better, kinda like when you compare free apps for windows and apple.

Yea, apps on iOS are awesome, just yesterday I learned you can't attach a picture from inside the email app.
Stock apps are pretty meh, third party is where it's at on iOS; basically the opposite of Android.

Smooth scrolling and apps.
Somehow the apps for ios are just designed better, kinda like when you compare free apps for windows and apple.
That's because Apple instills a culture amongst their developers that other companies seemly seem to have no clue how to do.

rozay

Banned
What? Dude, Eldar is still totally legit. It's hardly his fault that he got shopped material from Samsung.
I was about to tear into you :p Well played.

Back when he had a ton of connections to Nokians, he really had a lot of scoops and very detailed previews/reviews (especially compared to a lot of blogs back then). They tightened up security and I'm pretty sure that's one of the pieces of his Nokia hate crusade.

He had gotten some insight into what was going on inside Samsung but this was before android existed and they were planning on making a vertically-integrated linux based platform. Judging by how hit-or-miss his tweets are, it wouldn't surprise me if that well is dry as well.

Again, I think the sense hate is vastly overrated. I use an EVO4G (recently software updated to the version without carrierIQ, which frees up a good chunk of RAM) and the transformer prime.

The prime is smoother, but from a usability perspective there isn't a huge gain using the prime with ICS over my Evo. It might be more responsive, but if so we're talking fractions of a second, and some of the widgets that sense uses (specifically the web bookmarks one and the smaller of the "friends" widgets) makes it EASIER for me to use than the stock ICS setup the transformer has. I bought my girlfriend a nexus S about six months back using vanilla android, and even she thinks my phone is "better" than hers is, despite it being newer hardware. It looks boring in comparison, and the usability just isn't there.

sure, I could install beautiful widgets for extra money and whatnot and customize the hell out of it to gain the same functionality if I was interested, but since sense already includes that, why bother? My next phone will almost certainly be an HTC, with sense on it. I'm not going to bother with another nexus device.

note though that I haven't used sense 3.0 that's on the evo3D or (I assume) the rezound. I played around with it in store, and it seems different, but not substantially so.
You have to keep in mind how few people actually bother rooting or customizing their phones, so I'm sure in HTC's view adding stuff like the friends/social widgets differentiates them to these types of consumers. I just wish they didn't go so overboard on trying to ape the iPhone's visual style but coming out 10x gaudier.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
LOL at those hardware buttons. Come on. If Eldar's right (yeah right) then Samsung blew it. Fortunately, Eldar is a bum.

It is an Android thread but since you made such a bold statement, I'm curious to know what things the iOS does better than Android?

i dunno what iOS does better, but Android does a much better job of being janky!

is this the galaxy s2 plus?
samsung-mwc-leak.jpeg

are those... ICS hardware buttons!?

iavi

Sense actually got worse as it went on, much worse. It was slower, uglier, and in your face a whole lot more. Sense 1.0 on the Evo, I too liked a lot.

I'm not liking this auto reboot thing on my Galaxy S. It's happened 2 times in the span of one week and the phone has been off regularly because I can't get used to the battery life. Is there a point where I should be worried about auto reboots happening?

Sense actually got worse as it went on, much worse. It was slower, uglier, and in your face a whole lot more. Sense 1.0 on the Evo, I too liked a lot.

I'm pretty sure Sense on the Evo was upgraded to 2.0 some time ago. the phone runs much more smoothly than it did at launch, and some icons are different, etc. (i.e. the yellow "sprint" animation on startup chugged like crazy, now it doesn't)

so sense 2.0 >>> sense 1.0, but I still have no opinion on 3.0.

Ashhong

I'm at work...can someone say what that GS2+ is supposed to add to the experience? Looks just like my AT&T GS2 minus a search button and + ICS.

kehs

Banned
Oh ok, but I meant the GS2+ in general. Wasn't that announced or tested or something? Not necessarily that picture.

One of these counts I think:

Samsung Galaxy S II 4G
Samsung Galaxy S II X
Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket HD
Samsung Galaxy R
Samsung Galaxy W
Samsung Galaxy S II LTE
Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE
Samsung Galaxy S Advance
Samsung Galaxy S II Duos
Samsung Galaxy S II Plus

"Not enough…still…not enough…"

Kibbles

So I got the official Gingerbread update for the Infuse 4G... how do you quicky deactivate data network now? Before it was under the menu that popped up if you held the lock button.

Futureman

Is there a way to clear which songs Google Music caches on your phone?

Deleting the app and reinstalling works, but obviously I'd rather not have to do that. Some songs skip in the same exact spot every time. When I uninstalled and reinstalled, it fixed the problem songs, but now it happens on other songs.

Circle T

So I got the official Gingerbread update for the Infuse 4G... how do you quicky deactivate data network now? Before it was under the menu that popped up if you held the lock button.

Is it an option on the power menu? On my Note, when I hold the power button, I can mute, turn off data, activate airplane mode, or power off the device.

Deleting the app and reinstalling works, but obviously I'd rather not have to do that. Some songs skip in the same exact spot every time. When I uninstalled and reinstalled, it fixed the problem songs, but now it happens on other songs.

Clear app data? Mine currently shows 1.7GB of app data, so I'm guessing that is the locally cached music.

There should be a clear cache button on the app info page.

Kibbles

Is it an option on the power menu? On my Note, when I hold the power button, I can mute, turn off data, activate airplane mode, or power off the device.

Clear app data? Mine currently shows 1.7GB of app data, so I'm guessing that is the locally cached music.
Yea thats how it was before i upgraded to gingerbread.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Is there not an option if you drag down the notification bar, then there is a tab at the bottom with a page full of toggles?

Blackhead

Redarse
Do iOS Apps Crash More Than Android Apps? A Data Dive
Forbes said:
Ever wonder why certain mobile apps you use crash so much?

It turns out there are many possible reasons. And it can vary particularly depending on whether you are using an Apple iOS device such as an iPhone or iPad, or an Android device...

The data raises two main questions for me: why do these operating systems crash so much, and does iOS crash more than Android? ...

Still, the data shows that apps on iOS did crash substantially more than Android apps...
Interesting article.

because you don't have an iPhone.

two things

1) Sense: if you think the phone is flying now, imagine how much faster it would be with stock Android or TouchWiz, etc...'

2) Qualcomm: imagine if you had a phone with a SoC that wasn't bottom of the barrel, it's be smoother than a newborn's asscheeks!
See, this is kind of my point. Literally nothing has slowed this phone down app wise, so when I ask about unreasonable hate and get a response like this I continue to wonder what's up.

And the sense hate, well, I kind if get it. It's not for me certainly, but luckily theres a ton of development for the rezound due to the unlocked bootloader so I can easily avoid sense.

Leftover resentment from their earlier shit phones I get though, as I've had my share. But general opinion seems the opposite. As if the rezound is a step back. The quality of this phone is so laughibly better than any htc phone I've owned to date. Obvious from day one.

Does anyone know if this is a phone problem or a network problem?

I have 4 bars of service, and even 4G data and I keep getting an error sending a message saying the sending failed. I even rebooted my phone and nothing helped. Does this sound like an issue with my phone or an issue with the carrier? Thanks.

kehs

Banned
See, this is kind of my point. Literally nothing has slowed this phone down app wise, so when I ask about unreasonable hate and get a response like this I continue to wonder what's up.

And the sense hate, well, I kind if get it. It's not for me certainly, but luckily theres a ton of development for the rezound due to the unlocked bootloader so I can easily avoid sense.

Leftover resentment from their earlier shit phones I get though, as I've had my share. But general opinion seems the opposite. As if the rezound is a step back. The quality of this phone is so laughibly better than any htc phone I've owned to date. Obvious from day one.

The qualcomm hate is geek hate, not really real world hate.

About the news about the LTE nexus....

You guys know how I feel about the nexus line...

all I can say is...HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Does anyone know if this is a phone problem or a network problem?

I have 4 bars of service, and even 4G data and I keep getting an error sending a message saying the sending failed. I even rebooted my phone and nothing helped. Does this sound like an issue with my phone or an issue with the carrier? Thanks.

I'm on t-mobile and there's this particular lecture hall where my phone shows full bars but it also says "searching" (instead of t-mobile) on the lock screen and won't let me send/receive messages. Don't know what's up with that.

Well, this is hilarious. Looks like you can't be free and open and suck Verizon's cock at the same time.

But I'm sure it will be resolved in no time.

I'm on t-mobile and there's this particular lecture hall where my phone shows full bars but it also says "searching" (instead of t-mobile) on the lock screen and won't let me send/receive messages. Don't know what's up with that.

I'm on T-mobile too. :( Maybe that's it. Apparently it send the message like 10 times to my friend and still showed up as "failed" in my messages log which was the most confusing thing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom