• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hello! This is a quick clarification about support for CDMA devices.

For various technical reasons, recent CDMA Android devices implement core telephony functionality in .apk files provided in binary form by the carriers. To function correctly, these .apk files must be signed by the so-called "platform" key. However, when an individual creates a custom build from the AOSP source code, they don't use the same signing key as these CDMA flies were signed with.

The result is that these files don't work properly, and pure AOSP builds running on these devices can't place calls, access mobile data, and so on. Because we aim to make sure that we are as clear as possible about the degree of support that devices have, we updated the docs over at source.android.com to reflect this reality.

We will still make available as many as possible of the closed-source binaries for these devices, and Nexus devices will continue to have unlockable bootloaders. And, of course, GSM/HSPA+ devices are still supported, as are any other devices we're able to support. We've simply updated the documentation to be clearer about the current extent of CDMA support.

We are of course always working to improve support, and we'll keep everyone updated as we make improvements. Thanks as always for your interest in AOSP!

- Dan

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/android-contrib/phz3S5ZdveU

Hmmm someone needs to explain what this means.

jee

apparently MIUI is making their source code open-source.

http://phandroid.com/2012/02/03/miui-android-rom-is-being-open-sourced/

Guess that means 90 billion MIUI variants in the future.
Great news. World needs more MIUI. Especially tablets.

Also, the comments on that page are hilarious
"MIUI, the stylish ROM which transforms Android into an unrecognizable beast" are u kidding me, it turns it into iOS. seriously why do people like this rom its so iOS just look at the settings icon and the camera they look almost like the iphone one. u guys should be ashamed of urselves
MIUI is like the most (easily?) customizable ROM when it comes to the interface, yet for some reason there is always someone comparing it to iOS.

3phemeral

Fill up 500BM, get 500MB more, full that up, get 500MB more up to 5GB.

Ooh, well then. *gets on it* Now, will this reset after the year or is this permanently upgraded?

I need to find 500mb pic now.

I already have 4GB from doing free stuff, so I can get up to 9 GB?

Couldn't you just rename the extension of any large file to .jpg and it would function the same?

Pctx

Banned
CMDA is shit. Therefore, Occam's Razor says that CDMA is shit.

I'm not really surprised that the AOSP has a conflict with CMDA since by volume, GSM phones are favored in the larger world, not just the US. Still though, good for a laugh.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Hey android GAF, I might get tomorrow a Samsiung galaxy 8.9 3g

is it good? i had a S2 and it was awesome, should i expect the same experience?

also what software i a must have for that tablet? does it support ics?

tino

Banned
What happens when you are in a bad mood? Do you separate the devices and send them each to their rooms? Do you fling them up against a wall?

Say no to domestic electronic device abuse!!

If I was in a bad moon I would play with the Pre and the android phones run out of battery!

Anyway, but it was a bitch to keep all the screens on and took the picture with correct manual exposure and flash compensation. If I wasn't in a good moon it was impssible to take the picture.

Doopliss

Hey android GAF, I might get tomorrow a Samsiung galaxy 8.9 3g

is it good? i had a S2 and it was awesome, should i expect the same experience?

also what software i a must have for that tablet? does it support ics?
Its processor is slower than the GS2's, but the resolution is over 2.5 times higher so you won't get the same smoothness or speed (based on my experience with my dad's Galaxy Tab 10.1 which has the same specs).

I really just use my Touchpad for web browsing, watching videos and playing games, which are basically the same ones that get recommended for android phones.

reKon

Banned
anyone using minus for video storage? I haven't used anything like dropbox (lol 2gb limit) and minus, but I want to start using it for storing documents and videos

zedge

Running the new XXLPB ICS leak for the GS2 and its just awesome. No crashes, 100 %stable so far, they must be close to a final release. Screw the touchwiz haters, its awesome, slick and smooth, new scrolling animation is sweet. And haha to all the other basterdized carrier GS2s who do not get all these awesome leaked ROMS the 'real' GS2 gets. ;)

Weather on the lock screen is a nice addition.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1420996

Circle T

Running the new XXLPB ICS leak for the GS2 and its just awesome. No crashes, 100 %stable so far, they must be close to a final release. Screw the touchwiz haters, its awesome, slick and smooth, new scrolling animation is sweet. And haha to all the other basterdized carrier GS2s who do not get all these awesome leaked ROMS the 'real' GS2 gets. ;)

Weather on the lock screen is a nice addition.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1420996

Best Galaxy already has this :)

Circle T

Thats for GS2 also. :p But I prefer the touchwiz one.

That's cool. Your choice. For me, ever since getting my Captivate (and all of my subsequent TW-laden Sammy phones since), I've done everything in my power to rid myself of its burdens. TW4 is nice for a skin, sure, but I MUCH prefer stock ICS.

jey_16

Banned
After flashing CM9 on my s2, I don't think I could go back to to touchwiz. In terms of features it's fine but even with it running over ICS, it still looks too much like touchwiz on GB for my liking.

I would seriously consider the next nexus device when I replace my s2

Circle T

You shut your mouth :( ICS developer support should come around when ICS is released for the international version at least...hopefully

Sorry, but the truth isn't always pretty. When it comes to updates, AT&T is, shall we say, less than efficient at delivering them. Samsung is pretty good, some might even say great. The carriers, on the other hand, are pretty much the exact opposite.

But yes, once things pick up with official/leaked ICS builds for the Intl version, the ROM scene should pick right up for the AT&T version.

kehs

Banned
Sorry, but the truth isn't always pretty. When it comes to updates, AT&T is, shall we say, less than efficient at delivering them.

But yes, once things pick up with official/leaked ICS builds for the Intl version, the ROM scene should pick right up for the AT&T version.

ATT has been the first and only major carrier to provide a major Android update this year for a flagship device.

Shepard

I flashed the leaked ICS in my GS2 and it's phenomenal :eek:, I'm seriously impressed. Much smoother, snappier, beautiful than gingerbread. Even touchwiz is great here. The only reason I'm not using it right now is because I'm having problems trying to root it, but as soon as I get it out of the way I'm sure going to keep it.

I might consider getting the ATT Galaxy Note.

Is the Note what's up or what?

I fear if I chill with the Note for a while, regular smartphone screens won't do it for me.

Sarcasm

I might consider getting the ATT Galaxy Note.

Is the Note what's up or what?

I fear if I chill with the Note for a while, regular smartphone screens won't do it for me.

If you don't care about LTE you can buy the international one. I love mine. Than again I do live in Taiwan so its not like I am missing out on "LTE".

If your worried about warranty you got squared trade or something (forgot name).

You still get HSPA+

Don't know if this is well known, but ICS looks a LOT better when you use DPI Changer Utility. It's quite insane.
Just tried DPI Changer on my ICS Cappy...

It seems that it makes apps like gmail, google reader, and the browser look great...lots more screen real estate.

Problem is the homescreen and app drawer look like shit. Its like there is a thick invisible border around everything and I can't use my whole screen. Could it be due to this ROM?

Can anyone show me some screenshots of your phone with the DPI changed? ill download an app and upload my screenshots.

Ashhong

Just tried DPI Changer on my ICS Cappy...

It seems that it makes apps like gmail, google reader, and the browser look great...lots more screen real estate.

Problem is the homescreen and app drawer look like shit. Its like there is a thick invisible border around everything and I can't use my whole screen. Could it be due to this ROM?

Can anyone show me some screenshots of your phone with the DPI changed? ill download an app and upload my screenshots.

I think you need to use a different launcher. Use Nova Launcher and you can adjust the grid on the homescreen to make more icons fit on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom