• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I might consider getting the ATT Galaxy Note.

Is the Note what's up or what?

I fear if I chill with the Note for a while, regular smartphone screens won't do it for me.

I've have an Unlocked Best Galaxy on ATT since...November, actually.

And yes, if you get one, it'll spoil you on other phones, seriously.

Exynos VS. LTE really that much of an issue, but if you have the cash, I'd get an unlocked version over a carrier version any day of the week. (no bloatware, restrictions, etc)

yogloo

Get it!! The screen size is godly. Size is not an issue because the phone is thin. It slips inside my dress pants pocket easily.

tokkun

Well, if you get a Galaxy Note, make sure you keep a bluetooth earpiece with you. The phone's size makes it pretty uncomfortable to hold up to your ear for any length of time, not to mention that you look like an idiot doing so.

I also find the size too big to comfortably use with pants pockets. It's very difficult to get it into or out of jeans pockets without standing up.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I've never seen anyone comment about the size of phone held to you ear. Unless it was a Dell Streak. Also, I have large hands, so maybe it doesn't even matter to me.

But...if you're self-conscious of that...to each his own

i'm definitely on the border, but I think i'm leaning toward the "Galaxy Note is too big" team...

and i'm not even that type of person, i love that its doing something different, and would usually jump on something like this, but it's got some size on it...for a phone.

not even concerned about the pocket space, maybe more about the ability for one handed use...or lack thereof in this case.

plus for the att version it's got the same qualcomm being used in the skyrocket, as opposed to an even faster exynos in the unlocked version...1.4ghz I think? Performance on that phone must be amazing.

Since LTE seems to be so locked to qualcomm processors, maybe it's an indicator that I can wait until the tech matures, and I should just get the ATT Galaxy S II, gotta be some good deals on that bad boy by now. Not interested in a refurbished version though.

I think with LTE I was anxious to get in on it before this speedy network gets saturated and slowed down.

Still hard to decide. Skyrocket HD looks tempting. I'm convinced I will never get a new phone because i'm continually waiting for the next best thing. Maybe MWC will give me some clarity. I'll definitely at least be waiting until then.

tino

Banned
Well, if you get a Galaxy Note, make sure you keep a bluetooth earpiece with you. The phone's size makes it pretty uncomfortable to hold up to your ear for any length of time, not to mention that you look like an idiot doing so.

I also find the size too big to comfortably use with pants pockets. It's very difficult to get it into or out of jeans pockets without standing up.

Nah, I can take calls with Galaxy Tab just fine.

Kagami

i'm definitely on the border, but I think i'm leaning toward the "Galaxy Note is too big" team...

not even concerned about the pocket space, maybe more about the ability for one handed use...or lack thereof in this case.
That actually is a real issue with the Note.
Not that it's impossible to operate with one hand, but it requires shuffling it around atop your fingertips, so you're not holding it securely when doing that. Not a big deal if you're sitting down, but I'd be nervous doing it while walking across concrete.

Although this is an issue even before you hit Note size. The Nexus is already too big for a lot of people to operate securely with one hand.

3phemeral

Ugh, I can't seem to get Dropbox to work past the first 500 MB limit. What am I doing wrong? I currently have 3.125 GB from the first 500 MB + social-network links, but seems I can't get past that limit without db telling me I've exceeded my storage limit.

Halp!

So I picked up a Galaxy S late last year, and then my friends started to get the newer versions, like the nexus, and at first I regretted my purchase. Now I have ICS running, and voodoo control for audio and video, and I love this thing. When I compare it to my friends Nexus, or other friends IPhone, it is so much sleeker. It may have less under the hood, but for what I do it is perfect. I was overclocking to 1.2GHz, but found that it isn't necessary. Using Ntools for the deep idle which saves battery life.

If I ever get another smartphone it would have to be like the Galaxy S, just with more power.

Oh, and onecosmics ICS RC4.1 should be out soon! can't wait.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I'm dropping in to say that Firefox Alpha browser for android has come a long way. It's faster than the browser on my 4.1 rom (and yes it has flash built in)

Threi

notag
Is opera the only browser with the data compression option? I like it especially considering my primary usage of internet on my phone is secondapps.com/neogaf and it does cut down data usage a good amount.

So I got the official Gingerbread update for the Infuse 4G... how do you quicky deactivate data network now? Before it was under the menu that popped up if you held the lock button.
Stock gingerbread on the infuse doesn't have that option (it didn't when i was on rogers stock rom)

I say root it and put on the ZEUS rom. Rooting the phone is incredibly easy, its damn near unbrickable, and the ICS theme for ZEUS is pretty well developed.

sun-drop

ICS on SGS2 is finally looking solid enough for day to day use ... i've been on a KL3 based stock rom for a while and tried the previous samsung leaks ... but too much didn't work or was unstable.

XXLPB though ... i'm sticking with

http://youtu.be/8PhdSHdp-o8

slap nova launcher in yr /system/app folder and yr good to go .... although that said .... the ICS version of TW is actually pretty good. still far prefer the TW homescreen touch and hold options ... but ... ics app and widget draw does look cooler.

google text message dictation fully working in this btw.

PS thats TW in the 1st half of my vid ... nova launcher in the 2nd

The 4.0.4 update for the Tuna (LTE only right now) is out and in the wild. It once again restore the balance in the Force, Tuna is once again Best Galaxy!

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1481044
Noticeably Faster
Android OS bug fixed (in battery stats)
Long-pressing on a blank spot on the last page of app tray bug is gone
New Radios. 3G/4G switching MUCH better. Don't even notice it changing.
Improved signal strength
New Power Menu. New from 4.0.2, familiar to those who have used a stock 4.0.3 rom. Screenshot here
PRIMELA03 Bootloader
Faster boot up time
Auto-brightness Functionality changed. Smooth transition
Holding down camera button now refocuses again
Multitouch issue seems resolved. Screenshot here
Autorotate is faster
Browser performance noticeably improved
Recent apps list opens faster
Miscellaneous camera UI changes
Increased volume
Keyboard fixes
Updated News & Weather app UI

That solves just about every problem I had with my Tuna. I don't know if the camera takes better pictures just yet but they seem to have worked on it a lot. The whole phone feels a lot faster now too, which is nice. And yes, that lag when you hit the Task Switcher button is fixed.

sun-drop

That's cool. Your choice. For me, ever since getting my Captivate (and all of my subsequent TW-laden Sammy phones since), I've done everything in my power to rid myself of its burdens. TW4 is nice for a skin, sure, but I MUCH prefer stock ICS.

well i LOVE the home screen transition effect sammy have implemented on LPB ..it's awesome ... i'd love them to give us option to use the stock ICS app draw though... and they need to get folders working. and if they are going to continue with not having the phone app avail via the contacts app then they need to move to the 5 icon home screen dock like stock ICS does

still a wip i guess. but there are a lot of things i prefer in the ICS TW rom .... i still like the way TW does widgets. and using nova for eg you miss out on the TW full panel calendar widget. and ..... in vanilla ICS .... how exactly do i get a shortcut on my home screen to a file folder? like say my bluetooth downloads system folder? you can in TW ...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright Android-GAF, I think I finally need to take the plunge on a smartphone. I'm on Verizon, so unless the OP is out of date that means either an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Does anyone here have a Nexus? Any opinions, positive or negative? What's the battery life like?

Menelaus

Banned
Alright Android-GAF, I think I finally need to take the plunge on a smartphone. I'm on Verizon, so unless the OP is out of date that means either an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Does anyone here have a Nexus? Any opinions, positive or negative? What's the battery life like?

The nexus is a great phone with the exception of the camera. Hardware is a little lacking as well, if you want to be future proof, but the great news is that 4.0.4 got leaked yesterday and fixed a whole slew of issues we were having.

It's easily the best phone on VZW right now, and the screen is pure sex. Go read the OT for more info.

Recent update for my Epic 4G Touch just made wallpapers unscrollable on the homescreen now. Anyone else got this? If I use a launcher it still works, but not on touchwiz.

Zapages

one of my friend on Verzon is deciding between the following phones:

Galaxy Nexus
Motorolla Razr
or
Motorolla Razr Maxx

Which one of these are the best of the bunch?

reKon

Banned
The 4.0.4 update for the Tuna (LTE only right now) is out and in the wild. It once again restore the balance in the Force, Tuna is once again Best Galaxy!

That solves just about every problem I had with my Tuna. I don't know if the camera takes better pictures just yet but they seem to have worked on it a lot. The whole phone feels a lot faster now too, which is nice. And yes, that lag when you hit the Task Switcher button is fixed.

Have you tried any roms or kernels?

Galaxy Nexus
Motorolla Razr
or
Motorolla Razr Maxx

Well I don't see any reason to get the RAZR over the MAXX. So that takes that away unless he really doesn't wanna spend the extra 100.

Menelaus

Banned

Galaxy Nexus
Motorolla Razr
or
Motorolla Razr Maxx

The pentile screen on both razr phones is atrocious. That and they are uncomfortable to hold.

Circle T

Recent update for my Epic 4G Touch just made wallpapers unscrollable on the homescreen now. Anyone else got this? If I use a launcher it still works, but not on touchwiz.

If you go in an select a picture to use as the wallpaper, does it give you the option of two different sizes for the cropping? On newer Samsung phones, when you select a picture it will give you two different options, one that allows scrolling, and one that is cropped for no scrolling. Do you have that?? If you do, select the bigger one. If you don't have that option, then I'm no help.

(perfect Galaxy Note use incoming) :)

P9w2S.png

If you go in an select a picture to use as the wallpaper, does it give you the option of two different sizes for the cropping? On newer Samsung phones, when you select a picture it will give you two different options, one that allows scrolling, and one that is cropped for no scrolling. Do you have that?? If you do, select the bigger one. If you don't have that option, then I'm no help.

(perfect Galaxy Note use incoming) :)

P9w2S.png
Nope just crop option.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

How soon do you need a new phone? Honestly while I like the Galaxy Nexus and iPhone 4S, I don't love either phone.

IMO I'd wait for Q2 and pick up either a Samsung Galaxy S3 or grab the next iPhone in the summer. I know you can always play the waiting game, but I'm of the mind that certain times are better than others. If I HAD to get a phone now the Galaxy Nexus would be okay as its still on the new curve and is a Nexus device in terms of updates.

I feel like the iPhone 5 is going to be a bigger jump than the 4S was though so I'd hold off if you want an iPhone.

dtrack

Note-GAF represent! Installed the LA4 firmware on mine with AbyssNote kernel, made some custom modifications to my rom and I've got the smoothest and fastest performance and the best battery life I've ever gotten from my note :D

Galaxy Nexus
Motorolla Razr
or
Motorolla Razr Maxx

Depends what is more important to you.

The Maxx has great battery life (double of the GNex), better reception and speaker quality.

The GNex has a better screen and ICS right now.

Don't get the regular Razr. Battery life is on par to the GNex but you can't replace the battery. Also it's too thin to hold comfortably.

Menelaus

Banned
with 4.0.4, expect the g-nex to be getting 20-30 hours battery, depending on usage. the difference between it and the MAXX is about to shrink big time.

with 4.0.4, expect the g-nex to be getting 20-30 hours battery, depending on usage. the difference between it and the MAXX is about to shrink big time.

Extending battery life when the phone is idle is not the same thing as extending battery life when you are actually using the phone. My old droid incredible can last 2 days with light use on the stock 1300 mAh battery, but once I start pounding on it hard the battery drains like crazy.

There are tests out there that shows the GNex runs only under 4 hours with continuous LTE web browsing while the Maxx lasted 8.5 hours. Even the shitty thunderbolt lasted longer.

Unless they did some kind of magic in the software, I don't see how they can defy the limitations of the hardware. All these reports of amazing battery life with custom roms and kernels are just basically undervolting and letting the phone sleep when not in use.

So if you like to just keep your phone in your pocket and letting last for 40 hours, more power to you.

PaulLFC

My Galaxy S2 keeps telling me the phone is "low on storage" despite having over 4 gigs of storage available when plugged in by USB.

After a bit of reading around I discovered this is due to having to move some apps to the SD card. So I go to the application list and click "Move to SD card" on a few apps, only to be told "Failed to move application: Not enough memory" "But you have 4GB of memory left!!" *clicks* "Failed to move application: Not enough memory".

I then tried installing App2SD from the market, but no luck with that either "The application cannot be installed in the default install location".

This is infuriating. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to actually get the phone to see it has loads of memory available and stop nagging me to delete apps? Thanks.

DXPett1

The new power menu looks weird but I'll suck it up if the rest of the update is that good

Can you verify if the speaker really is louder?

Menelaus

Banned
Extending battery life when the phone is idle is not the same thing as extending battery life when you are actually using the phone....There are tests out there that shows the GNex runs only under 4 hours with continuous LTE web browsing while the Maxx lasted 8.5 hours..

This point is true. Nothing they're going to be able to do about that. Not all users are going to sit on youtube until their phone dies, though.

Increasing idle hours is very important for the users who don't use their phone constantly.

Can you verify if the speaker really is louder?

Seems a bit louder. Could be placebo effect. I'll see if I can get my friend's 4.0.2 g-nex in hand to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom