• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

The 4.0.4 update for the Tuna (LTE only right now) is out and in the wild. It once again restore the balance in the Force, Tuna is once again Best Galaxy!

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1481044

That solves just about every problem I had with my Tuna. I don't know if the camera takes better pictures just yet but they seem to have worked on it a lot. The whole phone feels a lot faster now too, which is nice. And yes, that lag when you hit the Task Switcher button is fixed.

This phone gets even faster? Holy shit. I'll wait till the OTA, but with hype. Crazy hype.

iavi

Do you have Clockwork installed already? No real reason not to push the update.

I don't yet, unfortunately. I've only had the phone for a week or so and have been content with stock ICS. (Not feeling like nandroiding atm etc...etc..)

Menelaus

Banned
I didn't even bother nandroiding...i find it's easier just to set my stuff back up by hand.

I would highly suggest Wug's toolkit for unlocking your bootloader. The only time you'll be doing a full wipe is when you unlock it (assuming you aren't jumping to other ROMs), so the sooner the better if you don't want to dick around with nandroid.

PaulLFC

My Galaxy S2 keeps telling me the phone is "low on storage" despite having over 4 gigs of storage available when plugged in by USB.

After a bit of reading around I discovered this is due to having to move some apps to the SD card. So I go to the application list and click "Move to SD card" on a few apps, only to be told "Failed to move application: Not enough memory" "But you have 4GB of memory left!!" *clicks* "Failed to move application: Not enough memory".

I then tried installing App2SD from the market, but no luck with that either "The application cannot be installed in the default install location".

This is infuriating. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to actually get the phone to see it has loads of memory available and stop nagging me to delete apps? Thanks.
Just as an addition to this, managed to install App2SD, but since it's using the same "Move to SD card" feature as the stock application manager it gives me the same error - "Failed to move application: Not enough memory" - for every single application I've tried. No idea what's causing it, there's plenty of memory.

Kagami

Just as an addition to this, managed to install App2SD, but since it's using the same "Move to SD card" feature as the stock application manager it gives me the same error - "Failed to move application: Not enough memory" - for every single application I've tried. No idea what's causing it, there's plenty of memory.
I've never used an S2, but on the Galaxy Note, moving apps to sdcard does literally require an actual physical sdcard to be installed (/mnt/sdcard/external_sd). It won't move them to the internal user storage partition (/mnt/sdcard).

PaulLFC

I've never used an S2, but on the Galaxy Note, moving apps to sdcard does literally require an actual physical sdcard to be installed (/mnt/sdcard/external_sd). It won't move them to the internal user storage partition (/mnt/sdcard).
Ahh I see, thanks. This seems to be my problem then, as I don't have an actual SD card, I'd assumed the internal storage would be enough. Seems like a strange oversight that apps aren't allowed to be moved to the internal user storage.

This point is true. Nothing they're going to be able to do about that. Not all users are going to sit on youtube until their phone dies, though.

Increasing idle hours is very important for the users who don't use their phone constantly.

Agreed, that's why I recommended the Maxx if you use the phone a lot. I think for idle hours, as long as it can last 15-20 hours with 2-3 hours of actual use, then most people should be fine since you would charge every night.

Seems a bit louder. Could be placebo effect. I'll see if I can get my friend's 4.0.2 g-nex in hand to compare.

Thanks.

GaryD

I installed the new leaked galaxy s2 ics rom and it went quite smoothly. I have noticed less reception in terms of "bars" and it dropping off the network where previously it was fine. Ive seen a couple of times where the text for a menu didnt fit the area so its cropped off. I cant really tell much difference over gingerbread other than it looks cleaner. Seems quite stable, the auto updater doesnt seem to work (yet).

so, I'm thinking that in about a month's time I might dip in for a sony Xperia s. The specs tick all my boxes and the price looks like it will be very competitive. Are we expecting anything at MWC that might compare favorably on specs and price? [UK, so gsm devices]

Only thing that worries me is software updates, sony have been pretty slow in the past on these things, but now they are on their own things might start to change..... Or not. :-\

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
IMO I'd wait for Q2 and pick up either a Samsung Galaxy S3 or grab the next iPhone in the summer. I know you can always play the waiting game, but I'm of the mind that certain times are better than others. If I HAD to get a phone now the Galaxy Nexus would be okay as its still on the new curve and is a Nexus device in terms of updates.

I feel like the iPhone 5 is going to be a bigger jump than the 4S was though so I'd hold off if you want an iPhone.
He'll probably be waiting until Fall for the S3 to come to Verizon going by Samsungs previous track record. Q2 might be for Europe. iPhone 5 probably won't be until September, too.

My advice would be to get the Nexus.

Have you tried any roms or kernels?

Nope, the whole reason I bought the Tuna was because I wanted an officially supported stock Android phone. So I've been waiting on stock 4.0.2 all this time.

The new power menu looks weird but I'll suck it up if the rest of the update is that good

The new power menu seems to add the ability to select vibrate, silent, and audio on. I don't know why it was added there, seems like a weird place to put that.

Can you verify if the speaker really is louder?

I haven't tested it outside my house yet but from informal testing, it definitely seems to be louder. How much louder? I have no idea.

This phone gets even faster? Holy shit. I'll wait till the OTA, but with hype. Crazy hype.

This is a leaked official OTA signed with the official keys, it can be installed on a bone-stock 4.0.2 simply by renaming the file to update.zip, copying it to /mnt/sdcard, rebooting into stock recovery, and installing it.

reKon

Banned
Nope, the whole reason I bought the Tuna was because I wanted an officially supported stock Android phone. So I've been waiting on stock 4.0.2 all this time.

The new power menu seems to add the ability to select vibrate, silent, and audio on. I don't know why it was added there, seems like a weird place to put that.

I haven't tested it outside my house yet but from informal testing, it definitely seems to be louder. How much louder? I have no idea.

This is a leaked official OTA signed with the official keys, it can be installed on a bone-stock 4.0.2 simply by renaming the file to update.zip, copying it to /mnt/sdcard, rebooting into stock recovery, and installing it.

4.0.2 was available for me 15 mins after I got the phone

Sarcasm

So android backup and restore function is a total joke. It worked fine when I got my new phone (Note). It logged in download apps I was using and I had the new market.

I had to do a factory reset and I get stuck with none of the apps I had backup'd and I get the old ass market. Top that off I can't see my phone on the PC android market.

What to do? This is seriously annoying as hell.

reKon

Banned
So android backup and restore function is a total joke. It worked fine when I got my new phone (Note). It logged in download apps I was using and I had the new market.

I had to do a factory reset and I get stuck with none of the apps I had backup'd and I get the old ass market. Top that off I can't see my phone on the PC android market.

get an iphone

Circle T

I can't help you with the app stuff, but getting the new Market is pretty easy. This always worked for me, so ymmv and all that, but worth a shot.

Open the Market app, go into settings, and then set the "Content Filtering". Then just let it sit for a minute or so on the home page of the App. This does sort of a reset on the app, and will often trigger the update. It will download and install the new Market in the background. Then just close the app and wait a few seconds. You should see the icon change to the new one. Then, when you open it up, it will ask you to agree to the privacy settings, etc, and you'll have the new Market.

Sarcasm

Now I can't browse apps on the PC android market and tell it to install on my phone. It doesn't work anymore I actually used that a lot.

It was nice to browse on PC, tell it to install from PC, and the app is already good to do by the time I grab my phone.

How do I contact google support?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Now I can't browse apps on the PC android market and tell it to install on my phone. It doesn't work anymore I actually used that a lot.

It was nice to browse on PC, tell it to install from PC, and the app is already good to do by the time I grab my phone.

How do I contact google support?
http://support.google.com/androidmarket/bin/request.py?hl=en

Are you sure you didn't accidentally hide or remove the phone from your account? You can check under My Account --> Settings.

Sarcasm

http://support.google.com/androidmarket/bin/request.py?hl=en

Are you sure you didn't accidentally hide or remove the phone from your account? You can check under My Account --> Settings.

Nope only did a factory reset on phone thinking it would restore like it did when I first got phone. I did come from a really old phone.

I figure with time it probably correct itself, but I have to remember what apps etc and get my wifi passwords now.

Galaxy Note S? Not likely, but why not?

Dutch website Mobile Cowboys (we can't help but think of Brokeback Mountain) spoke to a Samsung insider who revealed that the Samsung Galaxy Note S will be heading shelf-wards in the second half of this year after taking centre stage at MWC.

Yes, Samsung's had a team of top flight marketers working 'round the clock on a name for the follow-up to the Galaxy Note smartphone-cum-tablet.
No detail

Sadly what the source didn't reveal is what specs we can expect from the Note S, although it did confirm that it will come with Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich – but by that time we'd hope to see ICS on the original Note anyway.
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...alaxy-note-s-set-for-mwc-2012-launch--1061233

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Almost guaranteed to be a sequel to the Note, it sold 700,000+ in South Korea alone

Add Europe sales and eventual US sales, Samsung knows there will be a Phablet 2

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
ok guys so I got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9!

Im now flashing the lastest stock firmware (3.2) cause the phone company installed a lot of crap software.

So after that what do you guys recommend? any must have software ?

rozay

Banned
My N1 is running with hardware acceleration. This shit is so smooth.
TD_Jakes_2.jpg

I never knew you had it in you, adreno 200.

Lesiroth

so, I'm thinking that in about a month's time I might dip in for a sony Xperia s. The specs tick all my boxes and the price looks like it will be very competitive. Are we expecting anything at MWC that might compare favorably on specs and price? [UK, so gsm devices]

Only thing that worries me is software updates, sony have been pretty slow in the past on these things, but now they are on their own things might start to change..... Or not. :-\
Sony has been pretty awesome the past year with updates actually.

I'm actually looking forward to the Xperia S because of that magical coating they're using lol

andycapps

Anybody figure out how to get push notifications from the Facebook app yet? They keep saying they've fixed or improved them, but I see no option for those in the app.

SimleuqiR

Anybody figure out how to get push notifications from the Facebook app yet? They keep saying they've fixed or improved them, but I see no option for those in the app.

They should be automatic. Just tick the Notifications box and you are all set. The "Refresh Interval" is just for your news feed.

rozay

Banned
Wait...can you tell me what ROM are you running ( I presume it's an ICS one)?
My cousin is using my old trusty Nexus One, but I wouldn't mind updating for her.
There should be a very stable build by the end of the month, the one I used was just for testing, there are graphical bugs and force closes/reboots everywhere. Scrolling through lists and the launcher with a live wallpaper running is as smooth as a Tuna though :)

The non-HW accelerated builds right now work but they're just a tad slower than 2.3 and seem to enjoy rebooting in the maps application. Seeing as you're going to be the one updating it for her, I'll link you to one when there's a stable build, it really makes the phone enjoyable to use.

SimleuqiR

There should be a very stable build by the end of the month, the one I used was just for testing, there are graphical bugs and force closes/reboots everywhere. Scrolling through lists and the launcher with a live wallpaper running is as smooth as a Tuna though :)

The non-HW accelerated builds right now work but they're just a tad slower than 2.3 and seem to enjoy rebooting in the maps application. Seeing as you're going to be the one updating it for her, I'll link you to one when there's a stable build, it really makes the phone enjoyable to use.

Great! Thank you in advance!

You guys saw that rumor that Google is testing Android based HUD glasses? I doubt it's anything serious, as in, maybe the rumor's true, but it's probably just for some fun side project.

Al-ibn Kermit

You guys saw that rumor that Google is testing Android based HUD glasses? I doubt it's anything serious, as in, maybe the rumor's true, but it's probably just for some fun side project.

I just don't see how something like that would work. Except maybe for something like driving.

There's no way to navigate something like Android without a touchscreen or physical keypad.

My N1 is running with hardware acceleration. This shit is so smooth.
TD_Jakes_2.jpg

I never knew you had it in you, adreno 200.

And people were bullshitting about how the Tuna couldn't handle ICS well enough with it's puny SGX 540 and you'd better get a GSII with the Mali-400 or your phone will be obsolete last year.

Tuna remains Best Galaxy. Deal with it.

Oh, so you meant, you've been waiting for Google to produce a new firmware for the GSM version.

Naw, I've got a Fatty Tuna.

Threi

notag
android ecosystem

everything is outdated.

when GS3 gets announced notes, gs2s, gnexuses will all be thrown in the trash. They can't deliver the optimal android experience anymore and are all worthless

Al-ibn Kermit

Does ics run at 60 fps on the gnexus? If it can do that at 720p then specs will be pretty useless until either mobile gaming explodes or there is another resolution bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom