• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Does ics run at 60 fps on the gnexus? If it can do that at 720p then specs will be pretty useless until either mobile gaming explodes or there is another resolution bump.

I haven't seen any hard numbers, but I can give you an anecdote; it definitely feels like it 98% of the time. The other 2% being a slight hiccup when multi-tasking on 4.02--something said to be fixed in 4.04.

wtf? Please quote the post that said the GN can't handle ICS. I want to laugh

Actually, it's a pretty famous quote from the Anandtech review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5310/samsung-galaxy-nexus-ice-cream-sandwich-review/9
I understand why Google didn't wait for a Krait based SoC, however I don't believe the OMAP 4460 was the best bet given the launch timeframe of the Galaxy Nexus. Based on performance alone, Google should have picked Tegra 3 as the launch platform for ICS. GPU performance is much better than the SGX 540 and there's comparable CPU performance. It's possible that Google needed the memory bandwidth offered by OMAP 4, but we'll find out for sure soon enough as the first Tegra 3 device (ASUS' TF Prime) is slated to get ICS this week.

I'm also less concerned about power consumption being an issue since NVIDIA added full power gating to all of the cores in Tegra 3. With a conservative enough power profile Google could have guaranteed battery life similar to OMAP 4460 out of Tegra 3.

I get the feeling that Google wasn't very pleased with NVIDIA after Honeycomb and chose to work with TI this time around for reasons other than absolute performance. If it weren't for the fact that Tegra 3 and other SoCs appear to be getting ICS in fairly short form I'd be more upset over this decision. To be honest, the choice of SoC simply hurts the Galaxy Nexus as a phone. If I were you, I'd wait for a Krait based device.

This is pretty funny now because the future of Krait is entirely up in the air at this point, nobody knows if it's actually completely canceled or just facing massive delays. The Tegra 3 is not exactly proven for phone use, and it can't be coincidental that Samsung is settling on just two cores for the next Exynos which will be in GSIII, because they obviously decided quad-core phones suck the battery too fast. But yeah, keep masturbating to whatever GPU is in your cell phones guys!

DXPett1

oops..!

HTC ville shots - http://www.gsmarena.com/new_htv_ville_photos_leak_slim_waistline_and_specs_reconfirmed-news-3785.php

Why are htc using a qhd resolution panel, unless the ville is going to be competitively priced, aside from being announced as running ICS there isn't a whole lot to get excited about. And if it's the qhd panel they use in the razr.... Bleugh.

Shame you won't be able to tell its running ICS as in typical HTC fashion they have slapped it with the SenseUI (read: fuck-ugly) stick :( I get why Sense was great back in the day, Android, visually was pretty horrid and unintuitive but ffs HTC understand we don't need your crap anymore.

Just another reason why I'll be stuck on the Nexus line for life. Once you Nexus its hard to go anything else

I get the feeling that Google wasn't very pleased with NVIDIA after Honeycomb and chose to work with TI this time around for reasons other than absolute performance. If it weren't for the fact that Tegra 3 and other SoCs appear to be getting ICS in fairly short form I'd be more upset over this decision. To be honest, the choice of SoC simply hurts the Galaxy Nexus as a phone. If I were you, I'd wait for a Krait based device.

Yeah, I am sure thats why Google has used a different SoC for each Nexus/Google Experience device...

My GNexus runs GTA3, your arguement is invalid

iavi

My GNexus runs GTA3, your arguement is invalid

And with ease too. I'm not negating the fact that there are much stronger pieces of kit out there now, but after reading all of the arguments against the Nexus' SOC, I was not expecting it to run GTA3 at its highest setting, with the farthest draw distance, things running in the back, and all with no perceptible drop in frames. I don't particularly see a future for smartphone gaming that will require much more specs wise than what's in it at the moment.

Al-ibn Kermit

And with ease too. I'm not negating the fact that there are much stronger pieces of kit out there now, but after reading all of the arguments against the Nexus' SOC, I was not expecting it to run GTA3 at its highest setting, with the farthest draw distance, things running in the back, and all with no perceptible drop in frames. I don't particularly see a future for smartphone gaming that will require much more specs wise than what's in it at the moment.
The playstation vita uses ARM and powervr processors, I think in maybe 2 or 3 years we will see the same games on handheld consoles and smartphones.

I'm glad to see you're finally warming up to your Tuna.

NEXUS NAKAMAS :D

godnorazi

Banned
can anyone confirm that the AT&T Galaxy Nexus works fine on US T-Mobile (rooted/unlocked of course) 4G and everything?

I have the HTC Sensation right now on T-Mobile and hate the dev support on it (no official Cyanogen mod on it and 99% of the roms on XDA are Sense)... thinking about grabbing the GNex but need the non T-Mobile version to support my $5 tzones plan

godnorazi

Banned
Well there is also no T-mobile branded version. The unlocked GSM version from Europe will do T-mobile bands

I guess thats the one Im looking for then (any way to specify a search for the euro version.. ie model number?). I had to specifically get my HTC Sensation (Z710E) imported from Singapore since the US models blocked tzones/web2go via IMEI

sun-drop

ok ive had this going for 2 days now ..... XXLPB ICS rom on a S2, running the nova launcher...with the card transition effect on the home screen ...... fastest ive ever seen my phone preform. and i've been flashing samsung stock based roms since euro launch day.

super impressed.

my mate at work went from his HTC desire on gingerbread, to a IP4S .... he's been lent a s2 by a mate so i flashed it tonight with lpb .... gonna see if this doesn't make him reconsider going droid again.

then again he is a dubstep fan so the s2's audio prob doesn't stand up .. but yeh. will be interesting.

my whole office is flashing LPB ..... s2 is ready.

SLV

Hey all !
A quick question, is there a video camera app that would allow to capture video, 720p or 1080p, with the screen timed out ? Going to the Rammstein gig tonight, dont want to bother people while recording the whole show :)

Cmon someone, get in the thread, i have to drive of to get my buds in an hour or so ...

Barrett2

So apparently ATT finally released Gingerbread for the Infuse, but I guess I can't get it since it's not available over the air and I can't download it through a Mac, only a PC? So I have to literally borrow someone's computer to download an OS update for my phone, and I have to go to some obscure Samsung website to do it?

Is this real life?

SLV

Hey all !
A quick question, is there a video camera app that would allow to capture video, 720p or 1080p, with the screen timed out ? Going to the Rammstein gig tonight, dont want to bother people while recording the whole show :)

Anyone ?

gcubed

So apparently ATT finally released Gingerbread for the Infuse, but I guess I can't get it since it's not available over the air and I can't download it through a Mac, only a PC? So I have to literally borrow someone's computer to download an OS update for my phone, and I have to go to some obscure Samsung website to do it?

Is this real life?

welcome to samsung US life

Barrett2

You have got to be kidding me. I grabbed a space PC laptop, went to download Samsung Infuse update, and in the last hour they pulled the update.

I still have the webpage open on my Mac, and can download the Kies Mini. Can i download it to my Mac, transfer it to the PC and update from that?

Doopliss

You have got to be kidding me. I grabbed a space PC laptop, went to download Samsung Infuse update, and in the last hour they pulled the update.

I still have the webpage open on my Mac, and can download the Kies Mini. Can i download it to my Mac, transfer it to the PC and update from that?
There's probably a link to it on the Infuse forums on XDA. I think you'll have to use Odin to install it rather than Kies, but there should be instructions for that there, too.

Circle T

Give this a try....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1331381

Heimdall is sort of like ODIN, but for use on Mac/Linux. Using Heimdall, you can then install any of the releases that you want.

Menelaus

Banned
Ok...got a bit of a situation with the wife's phone. She's got an OG Epic 4G that I pushed a build of Froyo onto that later got recalled by Samsung. Now there's no direct upgrade path to the latest GB build, and her phone desperately needs to be reflashed.

What's the easiest way to restore an Epic 4G back to its factory ROM? Any relevant links are appreciated. I've looked around on XDA and haven't found anything conclusive.

Circle T

Cool, thanks.

So I shouldn't even bother with the Kies stuff, just use Heimdall and find a download of Gingerbread on the XDA forums?

Personally, yea, I would just get Heimdall up and running, and then flash that GB ROM. Kies on Mac has always been sort of a second class citizen, and doesn't let you flash stuff. Heimdall/ODIN are the way to go.

*EDIT*
Ok...got a bit of a situation with the wife's phone. She's got an OG Epic 4G that I pushed a build of Froyo onto that later got recalled by Samsung. Now there's no direct upgrade path to the latest GB build, and her phone desperately needs to be reflashed.

What's the easiest way to restore an Epic 4G back to its factory ROM? Any relevant links are appreciated. I've looked around on XDA and haven't found anything conclusive.

This would get you back to 100% stock, I think Froyo. At that point, you should then be able to do the factory update to GB....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1052813

I'd like to meet the person who decided on 16gb for the GN and punch them in the face. I'd happily drop the cash right now for one, but £460 for 16gb and no expandable memory... I can't do that solely on principle. Grrr. I'll keep waiting for the Xperia S.

On a related note, I got to play with the GN today. Surprised how much space the on screen buttons took up, I wouldn't mind if it had a minimalist bezel but it isn't. Browser was an absolute pleasure to use though, so fast, and that was on 4.02 so who knows what it likes on 4.04.

JonnyBrad

I'd like to meet the person who decided on 16gb for the GN and punch them in the face. I'd happily drop the cash right now for one, but £460 for 16gb and no expandable memory... I can't do that solely on principle. Grrr. I'll keep waiting for the Xperia S.

On a related note, I got to play with the GN today. Surprised how much space the on screen buttons took up, I wouldn't mind if it had a minimalist bezel but it isn't. Browser was an absolute pleasure to use though, so fast, and that was on 4.02 so who knows what it likes on 4.04.

I thought Samsung announced the 32gb GSM version?

Circle T

Thanks. Looks drastically scarier than returning a DX to Froyo...

Nah, ODIN is a piece of cake. You'll have a couple different files once you get everything unzipped. Just click the appropriate box in ODIN to load them (as directed in the thread), put your phone into Download mode ("1" + Power), and let it flash. Pretty simple. Just follow the steps, and you'll be back to fresh stock in no time.

SimleuqiR

MEGATON!!!!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/7/27...ta-launches-on-android-4-0-phones-and-tablets

Chrome for Android beta launches with place shifting, faster rendering, and card view

SHIIIIIIT!!!!!!

The product represents as much a technical milestone as anything else, but that doesn't mean Chrome for Android doesn't have new user-facing features, too: besides a fresh UI, Google is touting a new, more natural tab management interface, bookmark and tab synchronization with the desktop, support for incognito windows (this is Chrome, after all), and something called Link Preview that makes it easier to select the right link in a densely-populated area of a page. More on that in a bit.

android-browser-vs-chrome.jpg

Google says that the long-term plan is to make Chrome Android's default browser, and everything we've seen here suggests that's the right move. In the meantime, it'll be a free Android Market download, where it'll install side by side with your existing browser. We'd go so far to say that it's good enough in its present beta form to be used as your only mobile browser, though — it's solid, fast, and already head and shoulders above the aging app it replaces.

SimleuqiR

OMG! The deck of cards tabs is glorious!!! So smooth!! So pretty!!

HOLY FUCK! THIS THING IS FAST!!! Goodbye Android Browser!! You were good, but not the king!!

ALL HAIL CHROME!!!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Wow it works really well. I wish there were some way to get quick controls for this thing though.

andycapps

ICS has been out for 3 months. Get with the program people.

As soon as I get a fully working ICS ROM on my EVO, I'm there. As it is, there are some good WIP ROM's, but haven't found anything with video drivers working properly so Netflix doesn't work right. That's a deal breaker.

JoeFu

Banned
Hmmm there's no request desktop site yet on chrome. Hope they put that in soon. Also auto correct works on the mobile gaf site with chrome :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom