• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

rozay

Banned
Looks like it needs 4.0 for technical reasons, N1 running 4.0 without full HWA shows me blank pages for websites.

Honestly, that's a great thing as it will blow the stock browser away in the future without being shackled to supporting older devices.

Threi

notag
So it won't work on Gingerbread? :(
Gingerbread? What the hell is that?

AXMHp.jpg

get with the times maaaaaannnnn

JordanKZ

Oh shiiiiiiiit.

So now Google is technically competing with itself? £5 bet that Android 4.1 does away with the Android browser in favour of Chrome. I mean if Google now sandbox and look after flash (kinda) for the desktop, what's stopping them from doing this with Chrome mobile?

So I have to buy a new 600$ phone for this shit to work? well thats bs...
You also need power to charge your phone. The only way to do that would be to buy a house. Jesus. That's like $300,000 for a house. So basically you need to pay $300,600 just to try the Chrome beta.

What the fuck Google?

Loving the sync with other devices feature. Basically incorporating chrome to phone into the browser and making the standalone app redundant. I also think this is the slickest android app yet created. Animations, smoothness, feature set. It really nails it. Some checker boarding and incorrect fonts plus a lack of force desktop but beyond that it's already brilliant. Amazing stuff.

jokkir

I just got the Chrome browser and it seems kind of slow right now.

I think I still prefer the ICS browser right now

Barrett2

How long does it take to put custom firmware on my phone (Infuse)? I guess if im' gonna start fiddling around with my Infuse, might as well go whole-hog and do what I need to install ICS.

Circle T

How long does it take to put custom firmware on my phone (Infuse)? I guess if im' gonna start fiddling around with my Infuse, might as well go whole-hog and do what I need to install ICS.
Flashing new ROMs is simple, whether you use ODIN or CWM. Only takes a minute or so. Problem is, there isn't an ICS ROM for the Infuse yet :(

Google Voice app updated also. Given some ICS treatment.
Updated Voice App: YAY!!!

Still doesn't sync properly: BOOOO!!

Doopliss

Scrolling is quite a bit worse than the stock ICS browser on my Touchpad. Slower scrolling speed, much lower framerate, lots of time staring at empty white space (compared to none at all with stock). There's not that much extra functionality for the tablet version, either. Integrated Chrome to Phone is probably the neatest thing. Still, it's cool that it's out, hopefully updates will be fairly frequent.

Husker86

Scrolling is quite a bit worse than the stock ICS browser on my Touchpad. Slower scrolling speed, much lower framerate, lots of time staring at empty white space (compared to none at all with stock). There's not that much extra functionality for the tablet version, either. Integrated Chrome to Phone is probably the neatest thing. Still, it's cool that it's out, hopefully updates will be fairly frequent.

Noticed the same thing when scrolling fast on secondapps webapp; stuttering at least, haven't seen white space yet (probably need image heavy site for that).

Lookin good for a beta though!

Circle T

Noticed the same thing when scrolling fast on secondapps webapp; stuttering at least, haven't seen white space yet (probably need image heavy site for that).

Lookin good for a beta though!

I loaded up the full Verge site, and if you scroll fast, it will "white out" for just a second. Nothing major, and like everyone says, for a beta it is really nice.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Chrome is like sexy butter on the international GSII

Unknown Soldier said:
No problem here on my Best Galaxy, my Fatty Tuna. /smug

smh

Can't even come up with a decent title, so you steal it from the rightful BEST GALAXY

SimleuqiR

Google Voice app updated also. Given some ICS treatment.

It's a little better. New icon makes the ICS UI much more cohesive. Still think that the text conversation interface needs mayor work.
Should look more like the stock SMS app.

Chrome is like sexy butter on the international GSII

smh

Can't even come up with a decent title, so you steal it from the rightful BEST GALAXY

Wait, wouldn't that be Galaxy Best (Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus, etc).

zedge

It's a little better. New icon makes the ICS UI much more cohesive. Still think that the text conversation interface needs mayor work.
Should look more like the stock SMS app.

Wait, wouldn't that be Galaxy Best (Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus, etc).

:lol

No. ;)

Blackhead

Redarse
MEGATON!!!!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/7/27...ta-launches-on-android-4-0-phones-and-tablets

Chrome for Android beta launches with place shifting, faster rendering, and card view

SHIIIIIIT!!!!!!

android-browser-vs-chrome.jpg

Gifs are animated flawlessly. It might take ages for some pages to load but once done there are no dropped frames and it's way better than the Android browser

MEGATON!!
Bookmarklets work properly. (Finally!) I've tried
Quix
YTMA (youtube playback is somewhat glitchy, even after switching off flash)
Tapping Spoilers on GAF
WhatFont

even the bookmarklet for saving other bookmarklets works! I can't transfer over my 1Password bookmarklet for some reason but if that works too then I'm switching to Chrome beta immediately. I hope Chrome team makes the interface for bookmarks much more elegant but this is good enough

3kyJHl.png

Threi

notag

I'm not sure what the procedure is when you update to official gingerbread, i assume its the same as the rogers root method: flash a custom kernel for root and then get clockworkmod from rom manager (selecting galaxy S in the menu)

You may have to poke around XDA forums to see what it is for AT&T with the gingerbread update. Knowing XDA though they will probably start bitching if you simply ask them.

As for roms I think the best ones are CM7, MIUI, ZEUS, and NumasX. CM7 and MIUI though are ports of the galaxy S variants and because the bluetooth chip is different you lose bluetooth audio functionality completely. ZEUS and NumasX don't have this problem. You lose HDMI support with all of them as well, so if that's important to you don't bother with it at all (for now).

Personally I'm on ZEUS with the ICS theme, looks pretty nice to me.

*edit*

yeah reading up on it im 99% sure its the exact same as the rogers method now but you should still at least confirm that on XDA.

which would be:

Code:
Instructions:
1) Create a folder on your internal SD card called Voodoo. Then create another folder inside of it called disable-lagfix.
2) Make sure the Samsung USB drivers are installed. Installing Kies is a good way to accomplish this. It shouldn't matter which version of Kies you install as they all contain the same USB driver.
3) Download and unzip Odin_Infused_Gingerbread_Kernel_v1.zip.
4) Right click on Odin3_v1.81.exe and run it as administrator.
5) Place your phone into download mode. Do this by powering it completely off and then holding down both volume buttons while plugging in the USB cable.
6) Make sure your phone shows up in Odin as COM##.
7) Click the PDA button and choose PDA_Infused_Gingerbread_Kernel_v1.tar.md5.
8) Press Start.
9) If the phone doesn't automatically reboot after it completes the flash, just pull the battery and then replace it and turn on the phone. 
10) You should now be rooted and see the Superuser app installed on your phone.

Odin_Infused_Gingerbread_Kernel_v1.zip being the attachment at the end of this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19405569&postcount=2

Code:
1) Install ROM Manager from the Market and select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
2) Select "Galaxy S i9000" (The partitions are identical. I checked.)

that gives you cwm. Then you just flash whatever ROM you want (iirc MIUI updates CWM when you install it so it hangs at the startup screen first time around)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom