• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chrome for Android is awesome. It has some text scaling issues (like with Reddit article titles towards the bottom of a page) and swiping tabs from the left side of screen rarely works, but overall I think it's pretty damn good for a beta release.

Chrome for Android is awesome. It has some text scaling issues (like with Reddit article titles towards the bottom of a page) and swiping tabs from the left side of screen rarely works, but overall I think it's pretty damn good for a beta release.

The swiping is exactly the same on both sides, but if you're using your thumb, it's easier on one side. Not sure what the solution is: maybe add a handedness option or just make it unidirectional.

Either way, I'd trade it for the stock browser's Quick Controls. Everything else is great.

Menelaus

Banned
They definitely need to increase the space in which the tab swipe can begin. Having a case on my phone that is higher than the screen, swiping is downright impossible.

Futureman

Chrome is ICS only? Just Google fluff and there should be a .apk soon for Ginger and Froyo folk?

edit: ok just saw the .apk a page back, gonna try to throw it on my X with a custom Froyo ROM.

Blackhead

Redarse
Nope, not reliably.

Yeah, it's not a problem unique to chrome or the galaxy nexus. I encountered a similar problem in an iPad app. The developer eventually decided to provide control alternate methods for the users who insisted on using cases. Unfortunately extending the region for initiating the gesture would mess up other aspects of the UI (e.g. scrolling).

rozay

Banned
Chrome is ICS only? Just Google fluff and there should be a .apk soon for Ginger and Froyo folk?

edit: ok just saw the .apk a page back, gonna try to throw it on my X with a custom Froyo ROM.
Hardware acceleration is required for page rendering, so it's not going to work.

They definitely need to increase the space in which the tab swipe can begin. Having a case on my phone that is higher than the screen, swiping is downright impossible.
you deserve it for uglifying your phone with a case

Menelaus

Banned
Blame Samsung for using pure pig lard for the battery case material on the G-Nex.

I'm still waiting for an OEM extended battery back that's rubberized, and I'll go caseless.

dream

Is there a way to locally import bookmarks from the stock browser to Chrome without having to dump it all in "the cloud?"

Suairyu

Banned
So turns out all those keyboard lag woes I've been having may be because of the Messages app included with HTC Sense. Apparently craps out if you have many texts, and I have many thousand per contact.

Can anyone recommend a decent text messaging app replacement? Must have a threaded view and not go nuts over the amount of messages I have - I seriously don't want to have to delete messages.

I certainly couldn't recommend a HTC to a teenage girl right now!

Blackhead

Redarse
So turns out all those keyboard lag woes I've been having may be because of the Messages app included with HTC Sense. Apparently craps out if you have many texts, and I have many thousand per contact.

Can anyone recommend a decent text messaging app replacement? Must have a threaded view and not go nuts over the amount of messages I have - I seriously don't want to have to delete messages.

Are you a teenage girl?

rozay

Banned

I know you don't want to delete texts, but is using SMS Backup & Restore in the market an option? it'll export your texts to an easily readable/searchable xml file and you can clean out your phone. I honestly don't think there's an app that manages messages well-even the iPhone craps out when your threads are long.

Would involve rooting it and switching to something like CM7, right? How scary is this and can I take my data (texts, contacts) with me?

Well, it can be scary if you've never done it before (depending on your phone). Your contacts should be tied to your Google account, and you can use an app like SMS Backup + to backup your texts to Gmail.

Just do a lot of research on it before doing anything to make sure you're comfortable doing it, and if the benefits outweigh the hassles of setting it up. I personally loath any and all OEM skins, so it's always worth it to me.

Suairyu

Banned
I know you don't want to delete texts, but is using SMS Backup & Restore in the market an option? it'll export your texts to an easily readable/searchable xml file and you can clean out your phone. I honestly don't think there's an app that manages messages well-even the iPhone craps out when your threads are long.
When I was using the iPhone (2G), it had a trick of only loading the most recent messages, ~40ish at a guess. That kept performance acceptable. HTC Messaging loads the entire thread in one go. All (current highest) 4500. It's ridiculous.

But thanks for your suggestion of SMS Backup & Restore - this seems a great option than HTC's propriety backup method.

Well, it can be scary if you've never done it before (depending on your phone). Your contacts should be tied to your Google account, and you can use an app like SMS Backup + to backup your texts to Gmail.

Just do a lot of research on it before doing anything to make sure you're comfortable doing it, and if the benefits outweigh the hassles of setting it up. I personally loath any and all OEM skins, so it's always worth it to me.
I think by "scary" I more meant "what are the chances of bricking my phone?" Having a more lightweight OS appeals to me and I see most of the better custom skins and themes available online are made for CM7, so it's something I'd be interested in if it isn't too risky.

The only thing that has been holding me back from researching CM7 more is that I know HTC will have an ICS update for the Sensation later this month.

6386_4558.gif

Suairyu

Banned
lol. SMS Backup & Restore can browse a 4500 message thread faster than HTC's messaging app. I don't know which is more deserving: SMS B&R of my admiration or HTC of my hate.

Such a damn shame because hardware wise they make the best phones in my opinion. Solidly built, super-stylish and on-paper powerful.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
So this doesnt work on my galaxy tab 8,9 with gb 3.2?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
:( the problem with no flash in Chrome and Firefox is that the fallbacks on Android aren't very good. Firefox can't play youtube videos at all which is retarded.

Just use ICS Browser+. I don't see it getting taken down anytime soon.

Anyone know if there is an app that will connect to the PC that will show whatever I do on the tablet onto the PC monitor? I need something wireless.

reKon

Banned
"Two things that I initially had been using for the last couple of hours yet managed to leave out of this review were pointed out in the comments as pretty major features, so I’m adding this quick section to make sure everyone is aware of them. The first is the ability to flip between your tabs by simply sliding your finger from the edge of your phone across either left or right. Again, you have to start your finger almost off of your screen and then onto it to activate the slide.

The second thing is to activate Chrome’s new zooming feature for small text areas. As you can see in the screenie on the right, I tapped in our “Recent Posts” widget which had 5 links in it. Since Chrome was unable to recognize or possibly didn’t want to guess which link I was trying to tap, it zoomed out on that area, giving me a close up look at the links. I was then able to choose the exact link. Cool, right?"

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/07/first-impressions-chrome-beta-for-android/

These are some of my favorite things about this. It's only going to improve from here too.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
installed chrome on my backup evo with 4.1

it's stuck syncing my bookmarks -_-

edit it's like the firefox alpha nightly..but chrome instead of firefox....firefox has add-ons and themes as well :p

Circle T

don't like the new Voice icon. Wish they used the favicon from Chrome if they wanted to square it.

Yea, the gray web favicon would have been nice. It also seems like the new blue one is just a tad big. Different color and like 10-15% smaller would be great.

Blackhead

Redarse
Just use ICS Browser+. I don't see it getting taken down anytime soon.

I already use ICS Browser+. It's good. It doesn't have extensions (Firefox), syncing with my desktop browser (Firefox), decent gif performance (Chrome) and proper bookmarklet support (Chrome). None of the three do bookmarks very well. I prefer the ICS Browser+ interface (with the side controls turned on) out of the three.

One feature from ICS Browser+ that I've become used to is the volume buttons for scrolling option. Is there any hack available so I can use this in every app across Android and still coexist properly with audio control?

Cartman86

Banned
Browser on Gummy 6.something is incredibly fast. Chrome not so much. Doesn't help that scrolling speed is off. Still beta, but hopefully it gets better because I want those tab and sync features.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why did they go from black to grey? Looks worse.

Edit: after using it, I can see why they went grey. Alright. No quick controls?

So pocket Cast has run into some serious issues on my phone. It no longer downloads podcasts, it goes to refresh, and the podcasts are then immediately put into the playlist as if they were downloaded ready to go. Doesn't seem to matter how many times I try to reload them. Space isn't the issue, I know that much. 1 out of every 10 seems to download. Weird.

Anyone familiar with the matter?

rozay

Banned
Yea, the gray web favicon would have been nice. It also seems like the new blue one is just a tad big. Different color and like 10-15% smaller would be great.
All of the messaging icons including SMS and gTalk are HUGE compared to the other icons. It's a little bothersome.

Circle T

All of the messaging icons including SMS and gTalk are HUGE compared to the other icons. It's a little bothersome.

So they are. I don't use either of those two, and hadn't paid enough attention to notice they were also like that.

That's probably why they changed the color of the icon for Voice. Both the old Voice and GTalk icons were white rounded bubbles. They probably wanted to make them more easily distinguished, thus we end up with the crappy blue Voice icon now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom