• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibbles

So as an Infuse 4G user, will I not be able to get Chrome? I was thinking about rooting/flashing whatever, but all the custom roms I see say 2.3.6 and just use a ICS theme, none say 4.0 or whatever ICS is. :S

Threi

notag
Nope, no infuse ROM has ICS and it looks to stay that way, because of (very) slight differences between it and the Galaxy S. Doesn't matter that it's more powerful.

gcubed

Hmm, ok... It's just that I have never ever heard a phone vibrate like this before. Like I said, it's not just a "bzzz", but the phone actually generates a very clear G# when vibrating.

i've had comments on my phone vibrating... its very very very obnoxious.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
i've had comments on my phone vibrating... its very very very obnoxious.

I've scoured the interwebz for other people with similar issues, but almost everything I've found is about the exact opposite problem - people who think the vibration is too weak, and that they don't even notice it vibrating. I mean, I couldn't even text with this phone in a quiet room, because every touch (if haptic feedback is enabled) produces a very audible "bzzuuuzz".

EDIT:

Here's an example of the pink color tint the screen on my Nexus has: http://i.imgur.com/OxTDU.jpg

To make the difference between the left and right sides of the screen more obvious: http://i.imgur.com/syMnT.jpg

What the Nexus is trying to display is a completely grey image.

Menelaus

Banned
This thread is now about RoadHazard laying out every minute quibble he has with his G-Nex.

so-long-gay-boys-o.gif

Going to try out Sprint's service starting tomorrow. What does GAF think about the EVO 3D and the Epic 4G touch?

Evo 3D is nice, but has battery issues. I have the Epic 4G Touch and it's amazing. Fast and good battery life. Screen is amazingly detailed and the phone itself is very light. Barely even notice it in my pocket sometimes.

rozay

Banned
I've scoured the interwebz for other people with similar issues, but almost everything I've found is about the exact opposite problem - people who think the vibration is too weak, and that they don't even notice it vibrating. I mean, I couldn't even text with this phone in a quiet room, because every touch (if haptic feedback is enabled) produces a very audible "bzzuuuzz".

EDIT:

Here's an example of the pink color tint the screen on my Nexus has: http://i.imgur.com/OxTDU.jpg

To make the difference between the left and right sides of the screen more obvious: http://i.imgur.com/syMnT.jpg

What the Nexus is trying to display is a completely grey image.
If you can see it without having to look for it, return it or exchange it for another one. :(

Blackhead

Redarse
What's taking Google/OEMs so long to update their phones? It's been almost two months and this low battery life is still frustrating me to no ends. I'm getting itchy feet

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If you can see it without having to look for it, return it or exchange it for another one. :(

Well, I have to turn the screen brightness down quite a bit to be able to see it (if the brightness is up, the right side of the screen just looks a bit brighter than the left side), but using auto-brightness in a dark room does turn the brightness down enough for it to become noticable.

Doopliss

Sweet!

Nah, but when buying such an expensive device (I bought it unlocked), every small defect feels a bit more major.

Also, I would have had this discussion in the GN OT, but there's no action in there. :(
My GS2 has a bar ~8mm wide down the left side of the screen that's darker than the rest, and with greys it has a slight yellow tint, especially at low brightness levels. The discolouration used to be way worse but Samsung altered some gamma values or something in one of their rom updates so now it's not really noticeable.

This is actually a replacement for my original device which had the yellow bar and also several dark lines running horizontally and vertically across the screen. I considered getting a second swap but a lot of people were reporting screen defects on xda so it seemed there was as much chance of getting a worse screen as a better one. Nine months later and it doesn't really bother me at all any more, but I am glad I got rid of the first one.

Super AMOLED is currently a trade off between amazing blacks and inaccurate colours/screen defects.

So I put some custom roms on my Galaxy Ace tonight but lost some functionality and decided to restore my original. Thing is, I've tried to do so via clockwork and it once it restarts it wont boot past the Splash screen. Any ideas?

Edit: custom roms still work. Am I perhaps being impatient. Does it take longer for restor than a new rom to load?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My GS2 has a bar ~8mm wide down the left side of the screen that's darker than the rest, and with greys it has a slight yellow tint, especially at low brightness levels. The discolouration used to be way worse but Samsung altered some gamma values or something in one of their rom updates so now it's not really noticeable.

This is actually a replacement for my original device which had the yellow bar and also several dark lines running horizontally and vertically across the screen. I considered getting a second swap but a lot of people were reporting screen defects on xda so it seemed there was as much chance of getting a worse screen as a better one. Nine months later and it doesn't really bother me at all any more, but I am glad I got rid of the first one.

Super AMOLED is currently a trade off between amazing blacks and inaccurate colours/screen defects.

Yeah, I know I wouldn't care after a while, but when a device is brand spanking new I tend to care tremendously about all the little defects. Also, the loud vibrating is actually really annoying, so I'm probably gonna try to get the phone replaced for that at least.

At the same time, I've started thinking maybe I should wait for a phone with a true 720p display (non-pentile). They are coming after all, and should be safe from several of the issues the GN has... But still, I very much like the concept of the Nexus - the "Google phone". Hmm, this is a bit difficult...

Circle T

Yeah, I know I wouldn't care after a while, but when a device is brand spanking new I tend to care tremendously about all the little defects. Also, the loud vibrating is actually really annoying, so I'm probably gonna try to get the phone replaced for that at least.

At the same time, I've started thinking maybe I should wait for a phone with a true 720p display (non-pentile). They are coming after all, and should be safe from several of the issues the GN has... But still, I very much like the concept of the Nexus - the "Google phone". Hmm, this is a bit difficult...

They're already here....

HTC Rezound (VZW)

LG Spectrum (VZW)

LG Nitro (AT&T)

iavi

Going to try out Sprint's service starting tomorrow. What does GAF think about the EVO 3D and the Epic 4G touch?

Definitely go with the Epic 4G. It's faster, has a better battery life, and much better screen. I've used both, and prefer it greatly, though... the build quality was nowhere near as good as the Evo 3D. The Epic 4g felt cheap, very cheap.

I just updated my one year old Samsung Galaxy S i9000 to Android's Ice Cream Sandwich and I have to say that it's been a great experience!!

First I thought that it felt like it was too simple for my needs, but after getting used to it and messing up with it I feel like everything is right where it belongs to be and that it makes sense!

I like how the interface is sleek and simple and how smooth it works on my SGS, and it feels like I have a new smartphone! I really like how people at XDA take time to make incredible things like this and it disappoints me how a company like Samsung doesn't give a crap about making updates for it's products!

BTW if you're wondering, I flashed it to ICSSGS Rom with Devil's Kernel, and it works like a charm. Although I got to admit without Devil's Kernel it had too much lag, but with it it feels like if it was meant to be like that since the beginning!! Love my phone!!

iqD6e4nCx92Co.png
ibnJO0AzK9Pksc.png

insbQ0j9FToUF.png
iDGMCot0hV0Bw.png

Moppet13

I just got a Samsung Galaxy S2 a couple weeks ago and I was wondering what cool things I can do with it that I may not have run across? Apps I should get? I already made my Home screen look like a MySpace page using LauncherPro.

Blackhead

Redarse
The 'Find in page' feature of the chrome beta app is very nice. I also just discovered that that you can highlight spoiler text properly to view them like on desktop browsers. :)

Barrett2

If I just want to sell my Infuse and straight up buy an ICS device, are there any deals for that kind of thing I might not be aware of? Basically, any good deals on unsubsidized ICS devices you guys know of?

beje

Banned
Sometimes I see people posting their android screencap which covers the whole desktop at once. How do you do that?

Depends on your phone. Some ROMs (either custom or manufacturer) have a screencap feature. If not, you can do it on a rooted phone with drocap2 or use the Android SDK.

JordanKZ

Such a lull in ICS phone announcements since the Galaxy Nexus...what's the holdup?!

OEM's have to port all their shit over to ICS.

The problem is, with ICS Google have finally given Android an incredibly stable and sexy framework. I think the biggest problem is Google is trying to give Android an identity that OEM's continue to fuck up like TouchWiz and MotoBlur. Hardware manufacturers should be restricted to hardware and additional (and uninstallable) applications. All Android devices should be Google experience devices if the consumer wants them to be by changing a flag in developer settings. Of course this will never happen... :(

I remember seeing a Moto Defy that my friend had, around the time I had a Nexus One and the speed difference was astounding. At the time, no one had rooted the Defy and Cyanogen 7 hadn't been ported over. I remember he hated it so much he literally threw it away!

khan

Sorry if already asked/answered. How easy is it to install stock ICS 4.0.3 on Unlocked Galaxy S2? Step-by-step guide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Blackhead

Redarse

The problem is, with ICS Google have finally given Android an incredibly stable and sexy framework. I think the biggest problem is Google is trying to give Android an identity that OEM's continue to fuck up like TouchWiz and MotoBlur. Hardware manufacturers should be restricted to hardware and additional (and uninstallable) applications. All Android devices should be Google experience devices if the consumer wants them to be by changing a flag in developer settings. Of course this will never happen... :(

I remember seeing a Moto Defy that my friend had, around the time I had a Nexus One and the speed difference was astounding. At the time, no one had rooted the Defy and Cyanogen 7 hadn't been ported over. I remember he hated it so much he literally threw it away!

On the other hand the hardware is also becoming powerful enough to smoothly run both the stock OS and the skins with cycles to spare and some manufacturers are getting much better are the software side of their devices. The GS II is generally considered on par with iPhones primarily due to Samsung's mods. Asus of course knocked it out of the park with the Transformer line. If everybody got updates out as fast as Asus does then nobody would have a problem. To be fair though, Asus has only a few Android devices and none have to go through the carrier approval process.

jokkir

I just updated my one year old Samsung Galaxy S i9000 to Android's Ice Cream Sandwich and I have to say that it's been a great experience!!

First I thought that it felt like it was too simple for my needs, but after getting used to it and messing up with it I feel like everything is right where it belongs to be and that it makes sense!

I like how the interface is sleek and simple and how smooth it works on my SGS, and it feels like I have a new smartphone! I really like how people at XDA take time to make incredible things like this and it disappoints me how a company like Samsung doesn't give a crap about making updates for it's products!

BTW if you're wondering, I flashed it to ICSSGS Rom with Devil's Kernel, and it works like a charm. Although I got to admit without Devil's Kernel it had too much lag, but with it it feels like if it was meant to be like that since the beginning!! Love my phone!!

[/QUOTE]

What clock is that?

Question for you guys. I'm a Verizon customer and my 2 year is contract is up so it's time for a new phone. I currently have an OG Droid, so anything I get will be a significant upgrade. I'm torn between getting the Galaxy Nexus now or holding out for the Galaxy SIII though. Thing is, the earliest I've heard for an SIII launch is May and I'm not even sure if that's in America let alone on Verizon.

Any thoughts?

gcubed

the leaked blur shots of ICS are actually really really tame and keep the ICS identity. With the way that Sammy treated honeycomb i think that they will also be pretty tame in modifiying ICS... Sense though, those leaked shots are cringe worthy

Sorry if already asked/answered. How easy is it to install stock ICS 4.0.3 on Unlocked Galaxy S2? Step-by-step guide would be appreciated.

Thanks

there is no stock ICS for the Galaxy S 2 yet. If you are rooted, IMO the best out there so far is the ICS remix from Westcrip
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1436854

I'm running on the 8.6 rom which is very stable but has some small features missing, like the switch toggle for 2g/3g. I've downloaded the 9.0 version but it looks like some people are having some issues with it. Will test it tonight.

SimleuqiR

The only problem I've had is the phone(Galaxy Nexus) heat and android.process.media crashing.

Anyone know a fix?

This has been happening on my ASUS Transformer recently (Not updated to ICS yet). So it leads me to believe the issue is on Google"s end (server). I could be wrong though, I'm no expert.

JordanKZ

The only problem I've had is the phone(Galaxy Nexus) heat and android.process.media crashing.

Anyone know a fix?

I had that problem on my transformer. Did a tonne of googling to figure out what the problem was, but it eventually came down to either:
  • Google server error
  • An issue with your chrome bookmarks, so delete your bookmark sync from Google dashboard and resync or stop syncing bookmarks on your phone.
  • You'll need to factory reset your phone.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
This has been happening on my ASUS Transformer recently (Not updated to ICS yet). So it leads me to believe the issue is on Google"s end (server). I could be wrong though, I'm no expert.

I get the error randomly on my rom and it always happens when I'm messing with Google Music.

My one major complaint about Chrome Beta:

If you open a bookmark from the home screen, and that page is already open, it still opens it up in a new tab.

The stock browser just switches to the already open tab, thus preventing duplicates. Why didn't they just transfer this functionality over?

It's especially annoying considering the emphasis Google places on web apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom