• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

My one major complaint about Chrome Beta:

If you open a bookmark from the home screen, and that page is already open, it still opens it up in a new tab.

The stock browser just switches to the already open tab, thus preventing duplicates. Why didn't they just transfer this functionality over?

It's especially annoying considering the emphasis Google places on web apps.

Did you noticed that the already opened tab stays as you left it? Like on mobile GAF, it will keep the page as I left it. I would have to "refresh" for it to show the newest threads/posts.

I know someone here (maybe gcubed?) complained that the stock browser didn't keep the webpage state.

Not sure which I like better myself. I do like that it keeps the state of the page I was in, just in case I was reading a thread and left it at a particular post.

The state is a separate thing. Clicking a bookmark should just focus the tab that has that domain open instead of opening up a new tab. Whether it refreshes it or not... not sure. I'd say yes, because opening a bookmark suggests the user wants to load the page anew. If he wants to see the current state, user has to go through tab management.

Now, another question:

Should tabs be incorporated into ICS's multitasking menu? ;)

I think that'd be pretty sweet, but then again I'm a 3 or 4 tabs max kind of guy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Thinking about exchanging my Galaxy Nexus for a Galaxy SII. Any reason not to (except for no ICS - which should be remediable in the near future)? What are the known common issues with the SII?

Yeah, I know the screen resolution is lower, but I honestly think I'd prefer that to the various patterns and artifacts the pentile matrix display on the GN causes. It really bugs me.

SimleuqiR

Thinking about exchanging my Galaxy Nexus for a Galaxy SII. Any reason not to (except for no ICS - which should be remediable in the near future)? What are the known common issues with the SII?

Yeah, I know the screen resolution is lower, but I honestly think I'd prefer that to the various patterns and artifacts the pentile matrix display on the GN causes. It really bugs me.

From the horse's mouth:

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/progress-on-cm9

Currently, you can compile CM9 for a small number of devices- notably the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Wi-Fi and T-Mobile versions), the HP Touchpad and Motorola Xoom. The next devices to show up will likely be a whole array of Samsung phones (Exynos chipset), with devices based on the Qualcomm MSM8660 and 7×30 chipsets to follow. It’s still unclear if we can provide support for the QSD8x50 family of devices (Nexus One, HTC Evo, etc), but the answer almost always turns out to be “yes” for these kinds of things.

I'm sure you could probably install a ICS ROM for the SII today - but I'm out of the loop when it comes to ROM at the moment.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
There's a fairly far along Touchwizzed ICS ROM avaliable for the GSII. Just a matter of how close you live to the edge with your phone

gcubed

the only thing i ever see on my phone is a pattern on a solid gray background, other then that i notice no other effects from the screen.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
GN. With what you explained sounds like you have a bad one, but you can't go wrong with a real SGS2 (exynos version).

Does Verizon have a real SGS2? (Making a large assumption that you are both on Verizon and in the US)

Nope, I'm in Sweden. If I get an SGS2 it'll be the international unlocked version, which I'm guessing counts as a "real" SGS2?

Doopliss

Apart from the low res, there's:

- Various AMOLED screen defects, same as Gnexus
- Screen is 15:9 so you'll get thin black bars at the top and bottom while watching 16:9 video
- Background audio hiss, probably won't bother you unless you're a big audiophile
- 1080p video recording is cropped/zoomed in. Not sure if this is the same on other phones
- Samsung ROMs have a hideous screen sharpness setting which causes colour banding on gradients and halos/outlines on text etc. There's an app that fixes this for 2.3 ROMs but not for 4.0 (yet)
- Samsung's web browser has its own independant brightness control which is annoying if you don't use auto-brightness, as you'll always have to adjust it twice (once for the browser, again for everything else). Obviously you can use another browser, but note that Chrome isn't working well atm (stuttery scrolling, crashes)
- Cyanogenmod 9 (and every other ROM not derived from Samsung's) isn't fully functional. List of issues here. Main ones are no video recording and poor video playback. Development has basically stopped until Samsung releases kernel sources for its ICS builds, which will be some time after it gets an official release. Even then, on gingerbread I don't believe they got 1080p recording working or HW accelerated video playback, so there's no guarantee that that stuff will ever work.

All I can think of right now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Apart from the low res, there's:

- Various AMOLED screen defects, same as Gnexus
- Screen is 15:9 so you'll get thin black bars at the top and bottom while watching 16:9 video
- Background audio hiss, probably won't bother you unless you're a big audiophile
- 1080p video recording is cropped/zoomed in. Not sure if this is the same on other phones
- Samsung ROMs have a hideous screen sharpness setting which causes colour banding on gradients and halos/outlines on text etc. There's an app that fixes this for 2.3 ROMs but not for 4.0 (yet)
- Samsung's web browser has its own independant brightness control which is annoying if you don't use auto-brightness, as you'll always have to adjust it twice (once for the browser, again for everything else). Obviously you can use another browser, but note that Chrome isn't working well atm (stuttery scrolling, crashes)
- Cyanogenmod 9 (and every other ROM not derived from Samsung's) isn't fully functional. List of issues here. Main ones are no video recording and poor video playback. Development has basically stopped until Samsung releases kernel sources for its ICS builds, which will be some time after it gets an official release. Even then, on gingerbread I don't believe they got 1080p recording working or HW accelerated video playback, so there's no guarantee that that stuff will ever work.

All I can think of right now.

Well, damn. They just don't make phones without a bunch of annoying issues anymore, do they?

gcubed

Nope, I'm in Sweden. If I get an SGS2 it'll be the international unlocked version, which I'm guessing counts as a "real" SGS2?

yup, its a toss up between the two for the best current phone in a lot of people's eyes, so you really can't go wrong... especially if you aren't in the US with a Samsung phone

RoadHazard

Gold Member
yup, its a toss up between the two for the best current phone in a lot of people's eyes, so you really can't go wrong... especially if you aren't in the US with a Samsung phone

Well, now I just don't know... Maybe I should try getting a new GN instead (my current one has several issues)? Damn, this has turned into a tough decision.

Fatalah

OEM's have to port all their shit over to ICS.

The problem is, with ICS Google have finally given Android an incredibly stable and sexy framework. I think the biggest problem is Google is trying to give Android an identity that OEM's continue to fuck up like TouchWiz and MotoBlur. Hardware manufacturers should be restricted to hardware and additional (and uninstallable) applications. All Android devices should be Google experience devices if the consumer wants them to be by changing a flag in developer settings. Of course this will never happen... :(

I remember seeing a Moto Defy that my friend had, around the time I had a Nexus One and the speed difference was astounding. At the time, no one had rooted the Defy and Cyanogen 7 hadn't been ported over. I remember he hated it so much he literally threw it away!

Nice reply, thanks for the extra thoughts.

Coming from a person who made countless post about GS2>GNex.

I will say just stick to the GNex....not the unit you currently have, exchange it.

even though the SG2(exynos) is a powerhouse...Gnex with 4.0.4 really makes it the best galaxy. Who knows what else google will bring out on future updates....

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Effing return it. Your posts are driving me up the wall!

I am. Well, returning or exchanging for a new one. We'll see!

I will say just stick to the GNex....not the unit you currently have, exchange it.

even though the SG2(exynos) is a powerhouse...Gnex with 4.0.4 really makes it the best galaxy. Who knows what else google will bring out on future updates....

Hmm, but the SGS2 will eventually get 4.0.4 too, right? If not officially, then through CM9 or some other custom ROM. With equal software, how will the GN still beat the SGS2?

gcubed

Hmm, but the SGS2 will eventually get 4.0.4 too, right? If not officially, then through CM9 or some other custom ROM. With equal software, how will the GN still beat the SGS2?

there is always something not right on a ROM. While it usually is better then being stuck on an old version of code because your manu didn't want to update, or gets around an issue with the update thats out for your phone now its never perfect. I've used CM7 on my N1, and it gets around the biggest issues I had with the N1 and extended its life a bit, but its not as good as stock from a pure stability standpoint

RoadHazard

Gold Member
there is always something not right on a ROM. While it usually is better then being stuck on an old version of code because your manu didn't want to update, or gets around an issue with the update thats out for your phone now its never perfect. I've used CM7 on my N1, and it gets around the biggest issues I had with the N1 and extended its life a bit, but its not as good as stock from a pure stability standpoint

With my last phone (a ZTE Blade), the custom ROM I used was way better than the stock ROM in every way imaginable. But yeah, that was a cheap budget phone, with almost no manufacturer support. I guess you're right - in that regard, it would probably be best to just stick with the GN.

SimleuqiR

With my last phone (a ZTE Blade), the custom ROM I used was way better than the stock ROM in every way imaginable. But yeah, that was a cheap budget phone, with almost no manufacturer support. I guess you're right - in that regard, it would probably be best to just stick with the GN.

When gcubed means "Stock" he means pure vanilla Android. Not the crap that comes from OEMs, which usually isn't as fast as a ROM from AOSP.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
When gcubed means "Stock" he means pure vanilla Android. Not the crap that comes from OEMs, which usually isn't as fast as a ROM from AOSP.

Hmm, sure about that? His post doesn't really make sense if that's the case.

Also, the ROM on the Blade was actually pretty much vanilla 2.1 (later 2.2). No skin or anything. Pretty slow though, and with annoying bugs that custom ROMs fixed.

I too do believe some custom rom are more stable and performs better than stock.
I'm running custom 4.0.4 on GSM Gnex.

But by the time full blown ICS(official or not) comes to GS2, the GS3 will be around the corner.

Right now the Gnex performs as well as GS2 . One of the major quirks I had with the Gnex is that it didn't showcase ICS with the speed and smoothness on par with GS2 on gingerbread.

Now that Gnex perform so well ...best browsing speed of any phone one right now and other things....Why bother getting rid of it?

As a lot of people know, I was never on the Gnex defense force...I was never bias...

But as of right now the Gnex is the best galaxy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I too do believe some custom rom are more stable and performs better than stock.
I'm running custom 4.0.4 on GSM Gnex.

But by the time full blown ICS(official or not) comes to GS2, the GS3 will be around the corner.

Right now the Gnex performs as well as GS2 . One of the major quirks I had with the Gnex is that it didn't showcase ICS with the speed and smoothness on par with GS2 on gingerbread.

Now that Gnex perform so well ...best browsing speed of any phone one right now and other things....Why bother getting rid of it?

As a lot of people know, I was never on the Gnex defense force...I was never bias...

But as of right now the Gnex is the best galaxy.

Hmm, is the difference between 4.0.2 (what my GN has so far been updated to) and 4.0.4 that significant?

SimleuqiR

Yes, very sure. gcubed has only been on Nexus devices AFAIK. The only reason for someone to go ROM versus Stock on the Nexus One was the storage limitation. The Stock version for the Nexus One was always smoother than CM7, but you had to deal with the "Low Storage" warning after installing a few apps.

Besides unlucky manufacturing defects, you can't go wrong with the Galaxy Nexus. It is a great phone.

Hmm, is the difference between 4.0.2 (what my GN has so far been updated to) and 4.0.4 that significant?

Yes. You should go read the Galaxy Nexus Thread.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes, very sure. gcubed has only been on Nexus devices AFAIK.

Oh, ok, then it makes sense.

Besides unlucky manufacturing defects, you can't go wrong with the Galaxy Nexus. It is a great phone.

But that pentile matrix... Well, ok, I'm gonna ask for a replacement tomorrow (I was pretty set on asking for an SGS2 instead, but you guys have convinced me to stick it out with the GN). Hopefully that one will have less issues!

Im pretty dayam picky...I tried almost every rom for the GS2 and Gnex.

I'm a speed freak and praise the GS2 for its smoothness and speed.

The Gnex is now on par with an overclocked GS2 in terms smoothness and speed.

Your unit have pentile issues...because mine is nearly perfect, hardly no banding, color is pretty uniformed.

Indeed. I'm glad you have finally come to an understanding. A phone is both hardware and software. That's why even though Exynos has the grunty GPU, Tuna is the Best Galaxy. Because it's the phone which gets official updates straight from Google. That's why all my future phones will be Nexus devices, even though they don't use top of the line hardware.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Indeed. I'm glad you have finally come to an understanding. A phone is both hardware and software. That's why even though Exynos has the grunty GPU, Tuna is the Best Galaxy. Because it's the phone which gets official updates straight from Google. That's why all my future phones will be Nexus devices, even though they don't use top of the line hardware.

My GN doesn't get updates straight from Google, though. For some crappy reason, Samsung handles the updates for GNs in many European countries, which leads to a delay of a few weeks for every update. This can be circumvented by flashing a build that actually gets its updates directly from Google, but I feel like that's kind of missing the point of what a Nexus should be.

Now that I thought about it..the Tuna is not just best galaxy....the Tuna is best android! Agree??

My GN doesn't get updates straight from Google, though. For some crappy reason, Samsung handles the updates for GNs in many European countries, which leads to a delay of a few weeks for every update. This can be circumvented by flashing to a build that actually gets its updates directly from Google, but I feel like that's kind of missing the point of what a Nexus should be.

well ..google leaks new firmware for the nexus, so new roms gets cooked in the kitchen before other devices...

4.0.4 is officially only for CDMA tuna..but I'm running a custom one for the GSM Tuna...ain't no thang...

gcubed

Also, the ROM on the Blade was actually pretty much vanilla 2.1 (later 2.2). No skin or anything. Pretty slow though, and with annoying bugs that custom ROMs fixed.

yes, i meant CM vs a Google Experience device ROM (such as CM on an SGS2 vs GNex stock) i thought about clarifying but i had to catch a train

RoadHazard

Gold Member
On another topic... This might not really be the right thread for this, but here we go:

I'd really like to utilize the Google Music streaming available in ICS. To do that, you need a Google Music account. Unfortunately, Google doesn't seem to have any interest at all in letting people outside the US into the service. This can very easily be circumvented, since the site only checks your IP when you first sign up. Once you've done that (using a proxy), you're good to go. I've done this with a spare Google account just to try it out, and it worked just fine.

Now, to the actual question: Is doing this "safe"? Since Google isn't doing very much to stop international users from using the service (they could easily check your IP throughout the service, or at least at each login, and not just when you sign up), I'm gonna guess it probably is, but I'm still a bit wary about doing this with my main account. I really don't want that account to get into trouble in any way.

Any thoughts?

godnorazi

Banned
im so sad about the galaxy nexus having a mediocre camera... i dont care too much for lack of SD card slot but a good camera is a must for a premium device... what other phones are coming out with a 720p OLED?

On another topic... This might not really be the right thread for this, but here we go:

I'd really like to utilize the Google Music streaming available in ICS. To do that, you need a Google Music account. Unfortunately, Google doesn't seem to have any interest at all in letting people outside the US into the service. This can very easily be circumvented, since the site only checks your IP when you first sign up. Once you've done that (using a proxy), you're good to go. I've done this with a spare Google account just to try it out, and it worked just fine.

Now, to the actual question: Is doing this "safe"? Since Google isn't doing very much to stop international users from using the service (they could easily check your IP throughout the service, or at least at each login, and not just when you sign up), I'm gonna guess it probably is, but I'm still a bit wary about doing this with my main account. I really don't want that account to get into trouble in any way.

Any thoughts?

they're not going to cancel your google account, that's one less google+ subscriber...

i'd say you're safe. even if they check again, you'd probably only have to use a proxy to log in, just that time only, and then be good again until they try to check your ip again.

but they probably won't even do that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
they're not going to cancel your google account, that's one less google+ subscriber...

i'd say you're safe. even if they check again, you'd probably only have to use a proxy to log in, just that time only, and then be good again until they try to check your ip again.

but they probably won't even do that.

You're probably right, but this part of the TOS makes me want to hold off on activating it for my main account:

Google said:
Geographic Restrictions. Google Music is currently available only to residents of the United States (including its insular areas formerly known as territories and protectorates). You agree that you will not present any false, inaccurate, or misleading information in an effort to misrepresent yourself as a resident of the United States, and that you will not attempt to circumvent any rules or restrictions on geographic access or availability of the Service.

Still kinda weird that they're not actually enforcing this beyond a simple IP check when you sign up (and then never again).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
im so sad about the galaxy nexus having a mediocre camera... i dont care too much for lack of SD card slot but a good camera is a must for a premium device... what other phones are coming out with a 720p OLED?

Galaxy Note
Galaxy S III
Galaxy S II (+, Ultra, HD, Supreme, etc)

No Oled:
Xperia S (Best, fastest camera yet)

godnorazi

Banned
i currently have an HTC sensation... love the hardware, but the dev support is very lacking (no official cyanogenmod, 90% of the roms on xda are Sense-based)

im thinking my next phone will be the GS3... HD-OLED + Cyanogenmod = all i need

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Something weird to happened to my Galaxy Note. For a few days the battery drained unusually fast, and the device would be warm to the touch, even after being off for a long time. So, I checked the battery usage and the OS had a whooping 75%... I did a soft reset and now the device seems to behave normally.

What might have happened?

DXPett1

Any thoughts?

As a aussie who already does this, its safe

Nokia N9 Running Ice Cream Sammich:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/9/2786619/nokia-n9-ice-cream-sandwich-teaser

scaled.php

Our love affair with the Nokia N9's Harmattan UI may soon be coming to an end, thanks to a pretty massive upgrade being cooked up for the 3.9-inch smartphone by the developer community: Android 4.0! Alexey Roslyakov, part of the NITDroid team that has concerned itself with porting Android to the N900 previously and the N9 presently, has tweeted the image above, accompanied by the enigmatic title of "progress."

The project to bring Ice Cream Sandwich to the N9 is clearly advancing, therefore, and we couldn't be any more excited to see the fruit that it bears. It doesn't yet look terribly close to completion, though there's no doubt that the effort will be worth it. Among all the phones that could do with an OS upgrade out there, the N9 is perhaps the prettiest, and as a bonus, it already lacks any physical or capacitive front buttons, making it a perfect match for ICS.

Oh, and don't despair if you still like MeeGo, Alexey has also noted that he's working to create a dual-boot setup, allowing you to alternate between Harmattan and ICS to your heart's content. To compare the N9 to Google's Galaxy Nexus and the other phones in Nokia's Maemo / MeeGo range, check out our comparison tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom