• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
As a aussie who already does this, its safe

Yeah, but again, there's this:

Google said:
Geographic Restrictions. Google Music is currently available only to residents of the United States (including its insular areas formerly known as territories and protectorates). You agree that you will not present any false, inaccurate, or misleading information in an effort to misrepresent yourself as a resident of the United States, and that you will not attempt to circumvent any rules or restrictions on geographic access or availability of the Service.

So by using a proxy to sign up you're violating the ToS. Of course that will probably result in absolutely nothing, but I'm just not sure I want to do it with my main account.

DXPett1

So by using a proxy to sign up you're violating the ToS. Of course that will probably result in absolutely nothing, but I'm just not sure I want to do it with my main account.

Sounds like you have made up your mind. I'm not going to try and convince you, its your choice after all

Nokia N9 Running Ice Cream Sammich:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/9/2786619/nokia-n9-ice-cream-sandwich-teaser

scaled.php

the prettiest phone ever with ICS....wow...

I wonder how ICS runs on single core....kinda like the Nexus S?

Now that I thought about it..the Tuna is not just best galaxy....the Tuna is best android! Agree??

Well, yeah. The Verge said that back in November when reviewing the Lean Tuna, you know. This is Josh Topolsky we're talking about too, he has long had a reputation for being an Apple fanboy. When he calls something other than an iPhone the best ever (almost), it's something to pay attention to.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/17/2568348/galaxy-nexus-review

The Galaxy Nexus is the best Android phone ever made. It's one of the best smartphones ever made, and with a couple of minor tweaks (particularly to the camera), it could be the best smartphone ever produced.

Still, there's really not much to knock here. The hardware is elegant and smartly designed. The software is beautiful and useful. Google has cleaned up a lot of the bad, and replaced it with a serious amount of good. It's faster, smarter, and a lot more friendly than any of its predecessors. Ice Cream Sandwich easily gives iOS and Windows Phone a run for their money, and in many ways, it's a superior operating system than either of them.

And his review of the Fatty Tuna in December:

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/16/2638466/galaxy-nexus-review-verizon-lte

As I said when I reviewed the GSM version of the Galaxy Nexus — this is one of the best smartphones ever made. The addition of Verizon's killer 4G service makes it almost undeniably awesome, though those improved data speeds obviously come with a price. Namely, battery life. There are also other knocks, like the fact that the camera produces uneven results, and the size of the phone won't be to everyone's liking.

Still, the combination of solid hardware, the fantastic new Ice Cream Sandwich software, and the speed and stability of Verizon's 4G service is intoxicating. For those of you who've been waiting for a true, pure Google phone on Big Red, this will be a dream come true. For users who have been thinking about the other LTE offerings on the network, such as the Droid RAZR or Bionic, there really is no comparison. You get the same fantastic network without any of the software tradeoffs.

At the end of the day, when you're spending $300 on a phone (and far more in monthly fees over two years), you need to love the device you get, and it needs to get the job done for you. The Galaxy Nexus exceeded (and continues to exceed) my expectations as a smartphone. It's an extremely capable and surprisingly fun piece of gadgetry to have in your pocket, and as a first-rung Google phone, it will likely reap the benefits of the company's innovations long before other handsets do. Ultimately, you have to make the decision of what you want out of a phone, and there are excellent choices on the market right now. Personally? Verizon just got themselves a new customer.

Well, yeah. The Verge said that back in November when reviewing the Lean Tuna, you know. This is Josh Topolsky we're talking about too, he has long had a reputation for being an Apple fanboy. When he calls something other than an iPhone the best ever (almost), it's something to pay attention to.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/17/2568348/galaxy-nexus-review

And his review of the Fatty Tuna in December:

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/16/2638466/galaxy-nexus-review-verizon-lte

Yup seen those review when I was researching before getting the gnex.
Glad we agree and i finally saw the light.. i won't be annoy the gnex defense force anymore...

I'm now annoying people at the automotive thread :(

Yoshiya

ICS with or without Sense? Obviously if the Nexus S can run naked ICS then so can the rest of the Galaxy S phones.

HTC said:
HTC has been working hard to get its Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades ready, and we’re excited to announce that our first round of ICS upgrades will roll out by the end of March for the HTC Sensation and HTC Sensation XE, followed soon thereafter by the HTC Sensation XL.

In addition, we can confirm Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades will be coming later this year to the HTC EVO 3D, HTC Incredible S, HTC Desire S and HTC Desire HD. Stay tuned for more updates on Ice Cream Sandwich releases in the coming weeks

No indication Sense will be stripped away, so I'd say they're probably including Sense 3.0 or 3.5 as an overlay. 4.0 will probably be kept to more powerful devices.

Edit: Source.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Sprint owners 9+ months into your contract looking to upgrade from that aging or shitty phone, you're in luck: http://www.sprintfeed.com/2012/02/sprint-to-offer-early-upgrade-buyout-program/

Next two months, upgrade for $165 or less (plus the subsidized cost of the phone). Though I doubt we'll see the Galaxy Nexus or LTE phones during that time span.

I'm sure you can sweet talk ecare to get a free upgrade. I got another upgrade on my account less than 1 month after I purchased the Evo3D...this was after I sent a sad sappy story to get my upgrade pushed up a month to buy the 3D at a discount.

Then I got an Airrave for free and that line is eligible for an upgrade too.

If you remember back last year, the usb port on my 3D is all screwed up. I can charge the phone but plugging it in a computer does nothing. I can't root or anything since that requires the ability to hook it to a computer. I asked Sprint if I fixed it myself, would it violate the warranty. They told me take it to a store and they would either fix it or I could choose another phone. Whatever I pay for the phone, I would get credit for. It doesn't count for my upgrade.

It's all about working the system...and I would have swapped this phone out for a Nexus S if they were still around :(

Dicer

Banned
No indication Sense will be stripped away, so I'd say they're probably including Sense 3.0 or 3.5 as an overlay. 4.0 will probably be kept to more powerful devices.

Lol and no mention of the Rezound, thank goodness for XDA, mine is already running ICS quite nicely.

JordanKZ

Maybe Samsung and Asus can have a race to see who will deliver ICS first? Considering the TF101 was originally promised ICS for mid Dec and it's almost the middle of Feb.

My gut is, even if Samsung do have the ICS update ready for March 1st there's zero chance that any of the US carriers will pick it up straight away. It'll hit SIM free phones though, no doubt.

JordanKZ

Urghhh... Why do HTC feel like they need to throw a billion options on screen at any one time. That app drawer is a disgrace. :C

Dicer

Banned
Some HTC phones are hideous, plus the bloated god awful sense. No wonder Samsung is kicking their ass.

Fixed that for you, and while I agree sense is crap, custom roms remove that nonsense.. pun intended?!!?!!?

Rezound is a damn sexy phone that neither verizon or HTC wants to push for some reason.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I doubt this. I am almost willing to bet most Samsung phones dont see ICS until around the time the S3 is shown or launched, Ill bet they are still working on it.

I think so too. They will have the S3 as an ICS phone, then quietly after a month or two of it being on sale ICS for S2 will come out.

I've just seen this. Really happy that they're doing it for the Desire S as I wasn't expecting an update beyond 2.3.5...

full list of phones getting the update:

By end of March 2012:

HTC Sensation
HTC Sensation 4G
HTC Sensation XE
HTC Sensation XL (shortly after)

Later this year:

HTC Rezound
HTC Vivid
HTC Amaze 4G
HTC EVO 3D
HTC Evo Design 4G
HTC Incredible S
HTC Desire S
HTC Desire HD

Husker86

Fixed that for you, and while I agree sense is crap, custom roms remove that nonsense.. pun intended?!!?!!?

Rezound is a damn sexy phone that neither verizon or HTC wants to push for some reason.

The Rezound is a nice phone, but it looks just like all their other 4.3" phones. Fat.

I had a Thunderbolt and liked it, it's just that they are really lagging on design.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Got my GN exchanged for a new one. From a bit of testing, there seems to be no pink screen tint on this one (or if it's there, it's extremely faint), so all is good on that point. However, this one has the same issues with the loud vibrations and the "pop" a few seconds after any sound has played. Guess these are just normal quirks of the GN.

gcubed

Got my GN exchanged for a new one. From a bit of testing, there seems to be no pink screen tint on this one (or if it's there, it's extremely faint), so all is good on that point. However, this one has the same issues with the loud vibrations and the "pop" a few seconds after any sound has played. Guess these are just normal quirks of the GN.

i'll have to pay more attention to the pop on any sound, but there is definitely a pop on vibration and its loud. Glad your screen is fixed

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
acer-cloud-mobile-smartphone-mwc-0.jpg

Pocket-lint has just had word from Acer that the Acer CloudMobile smartphone has received the iF design award 2012, in recognition of outstanding achievement in design.

Bravo indeed.

Except, we're not sure that we've ever heard of the Acer CloudMobile. But we're told that the device, which Acer describes as its flagship smartphone, will be officially unveiled at the end of February at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona and will be available in Q3, 2012.

There's no detailed spec-sheet although we're hearing that it is running Android 4.0, has a 4.3-inch HD display, Dolby sound, and is less than 10mm thick.

According to its makers the Acer CloudMobile is the first smartphone to offer AcerCloud technology, and it "enhances mobile productivity by providing seamless document management".

That's all we know for now, although we're chasing more info. We will, of course, be reporting live from Barcelona come MWC show time so you can check back on Pocket-lint for all the news and analysis from the mobile expo then.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/44379/acer-cloud-mobile-smartphone-mwc

tino

Banned
Too bad the N9 hardware is pretty mediocre. Plus its really overpriced for what's inside. You are really paying 300+ extra for a pretty shell.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It does not look like too much. You need some bezel for holding the phone comfortably without touching the screen.
How do you hold a phone? Zero bezel would be ok with me and how I hold a phone. I certainly don't pinch the phone like I would a tablet.

So is there any word on a Droid X 3?

the last 23-33% of my screen (the portion at the top) is slowly starting to fade like the rest has before it. I give my phone a week before I can no longer see whats on the screen at all 80% of the time.

I'm leaning towards the RazrMaxx (assuming it roots as easy as the Razr)
but I hear nothing but good things about the Galaxy Nexus w/ ICS, but I know nothing about it.

as a deciding factor, I would really love a desk dock and a car dock like i have with my DroidX right now.

I have the HTC Incredible now and we went to the Verizon store today we were talking to the guy for like an hour and then later find out that the Droid Razr Maxx is buy one get one free. Me and my mom have the same phone, you guys think that phone is good for an upgrade. I kinda wanted an Iphone but I know about bad battery lifes and this phone looks like it might be the one to end that. They will have to ship it cause they didn't have anymore but you guys think that phone will be good for me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How do you hold a phone? Zero bezel would be ok with me and how I hold a phone. I certainly don't pinch the phone like I would a tablet.

A phone with zero bezel (and I mean absolutely no bezel at all - the screen would cover the entire front of the device) would be terrible to use. You would constantly be giving touch input by accident.

Threi

notag
Right now i'm getting sick to death of accidental button presses. The phone isn't always positioned where i can lift it by the sides (actually most of the time it's not)

we need hardware buttons back. It may look slightly better but in terms of functionality it's a step back.

Right now i'm getting sick to death of accidental button presses. The phone isn't always positioned where i can lift it by the sides (actually most of the time it's not)

we need hardware buttons back. It may look slightly better but in terms of functionality it's a step back.
I thought you had an Infuse?

Anecdotal. The big, flat ICS soft keys work much better for me, and are more pleasant to hit with my thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom