• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
thespot84 said:
anyone here have a capacative stylus they're happy with?
I'm using a roocase stylus that came with my case.... I'm happy with it.... Not sure if that means anything though,

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Superblatt said:
so everyone believes the nextgen is really that close? What phones are cutting edge today and available now? Also, won't new droid phones appear to be faster than the 4S solely because they'll actually be running on an LTE network?
Uh, well "next gen" was supposed to be announced today but was postponed. So it must be pretty close. As far as network speeds, I don't think that really has much to do with a phone's responsiveness. Even with a 100 megabit connection it would still come down to rendering time.

Let me riddle you this: What are the top 5 most important tasks a cellphone provides for you personally.

LegoArmo said:
I can't decide what I like more Swype or SwiftKey, when I first started using Swype it seemed like it got every word right, first time, but over time, errors became more and more common. I don't know why.

SwiftKey seems to save me a lot of key presses, a whole lot.
<3 SwiftKey

kehs

Banned
Been using swift key.... was using swype.... Same shit to me.... I'm waiting for retinal text input no hands bitches

Al-ibn Kermit

It doesn't make any sense at all for the Nexus 3 to be called the Galaxy Nexus, because that would suggest that all future Nexus phones would be under the Galaxy line and therefore be made by Samsung.

Which would mean that Google just forgot that they still own Motorola.

gcubed

Al-ibn Kermit said:
It doesn't make any sense at all for the Nexus 3 to be called the Galaxy Nexus, because that would suggest that all future Nexus phones would be under the Galaxy line and therefore be made by Samsung.

Which would mean that Google just forgot that they still own Motorola.
Or each manufacturer has its own nexus identity and there no longer is a specific nexus 1/2/3

Al-ibn Kermit

gcubed said:
Or each manufacturer has its own nexus identity and there no longer is a specific nexus 1/2/3

Assuming Google is still handling updates, that wouldn't be a bad idea. But then they would probably want to launch that sort of Nexus phone simultaneously with all the major hardware manufacturers. Although I'm not sure there's that much demand for a stock Android UI to warrant having several versions of each Nexus phone.

Asus Eee Pad Transformer 2 Gets A Surprise Leak From A Pre-Order Listing

While it isn’t out of line to see pre-orders crop up early on, that doesn’t necessarily reflect the final product. Changes have been known to occur through the process, so take this with the amount of salt you believe most appropriate. But considering that the Asus Eee Pad Transformer’s model number was reportedly TF101, and the number on this particular item is TF201, it’s really not out of line to make that link from there.

There are even some specs involved with this one, and they do sound like significant steps up from the ordinary. This particular devices is set to run a Tegra 3 (otherwise known as the Kal-El chip as we’d heard earlier) , backed up by a gig of RAM, 32 gigs of storage, a 10.1 inch screen showing at an as yet undefined resolution and Android 3.0 for an operating system. There’s no word about the various other specs, though it’s probably safe to say that a keyboard will be involved being as this is said to be the Transformer 2, as well as the standard goodies like an SD card slot, wi-fi, Bluetooth, and the like. But that’s largely speculation based on the Transformer itself.

Ocho

Hey people. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and for whatever reason, when charging, notifications are muted (but it does vibrate). If I unplug, notifications work. What's up?

EDIT: Ringtone won't work, either. v2.3.4

EDIT 2: Nevermind, fixed. I don't know what did it, but it's working now.

Droid-Life says their sources peg October 18th/19th as the day of the ICS/Prime announcement.

October 18th is the day before the All Things Digital conference starts in Hong Kong. Last year, Andy showed off the Xoom while talking to Walt Mossberg.

Edit: Engadget is corroborating the claim:

This week's CTIA festivities aren't the same since Samsung and Google decided to postpone their new product announcement that was originally scheduled for today, but now we're hearing the Ice Cream Sandwich / Nexus party has already been rescheduled. An inside source tells us the two have moved their plans for the Unpacked event to October 19th in Hong Kong, timed to coincide with the AsiaD: All Things Digital event there next week. Naturally, we'll be in the house, but with not long to go before the potential date, we'd expect to hear something concrete soon.

CoilShot

Ok I'm curious about this, what are the differences between the galaxy s2 on each us carrier? They all look different even though they all share the same name.

kehs

Banned
CoilShot said:
Ok I'm curious about this, what are the differences between the galaxy s2 on each us carrier? They all look different even though they all share the same name.
Correct.

USA USA USA

---------------

Man fuck this os.... I can't log in to gchat cause I only have 19.megs free memory instead of 21?

F U

Al-ibn Kermit

CoilShot said:

AFAIK, the only differences are

AT&T:
4.3" inch screen w/Exynos processor 1650mah battery

T-Mobile:
4.5" inch screen w/Qualcomm processor (slightly slower) and 1800mah battery

Sprint:
4.5" inch screen w/Exynos processor with 1800 mah battery and led notification light

Obviously the screen/processor combination will affect battery life but I don't know by how much.

lachesis

Also for Galaxy S2 differences...

ATT and T-Mobile also have NFC chips (although not active) - while Sprint doesn't.
Exynos = better for media/gaming etc, while Qualcomm = faster internet speed, I think..

Futureman

So engadget is reporting a new Motorola laptop dock for their phones.

The article mentions something about the original dock for the Atrix being axed? I thought it had come out?

Futureman said:
So engadget is reporting a new Motorola laptop dock for their phones.

The article mentions something about the original dock for the Atrix being axed? I thought it had come out?

It did. They are discontinuing the idiotic practice of having a latop dock for each webtop phone and are now making a universal one for future phones via a cable i believe, rather than a dock for the actual phone.

zoku88

The Faceless Master said:
GOOGLE SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS PRIME BY GOOGLE AND SAMSUNG
Still shorter than some of the names of Sprint's phones...

I..I'm not even sure if that was an exaggeration...

EDIT: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch ... Oh, I guess your name IS longer!

hermit7

Is there any way to easily sync my Chrome bookmarks with android ones?

I have found a few apps, but none of them seem to work, and I am not sure why.

DXPett1

Vyse The Legend said:
Droid-Life says their sources peg October 18th/19th as the day of the ICS/Prime announcement.

October 18th is the day before the All Things Digital conference starts in Hong Kong. Last year, Andy showed off the Xoom while talking to Walt Mossberg.

Edit: Engadget is corroborating the claim:

If that is true, awkward

tino

Banned
zoku88 said:
Still shorter than some of the names of Sprint's phones...

I..I'm not even sure if that was an exaggeration...

EDIT: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch ... Oh, I guess your name IS longer!

Don't worry, when Sprint get over its 6 months honeymoon with the iPhone and release the Nexus Prime, it will have the longest name ever.

rozay

Banned
Anyone here know what happens when a Verizon user has unlimited 3G and decides to get an LTE phone? Will he have to switch to 2GB/500MB or can he keep his unlimited plan?

Circle T

rozay said:
Anyone here know what happens when a Verizon user has unlimited 3G and decides to get an LTE phone? Will he have to switch to 2GB/500MB or can he keep his unlimited plan?
You can keep it. As far as the customer sees, they don't differentiate between 3G and 4G with their plans. Just tell them you want to keep the "Unlimited" plan, and they swap it over. A buddy of mine went from an old BB to a Charge, and kept the $30 unlimited plan.

rozay

Banned
that is awesome, looks like my friend will be getting a galaxy nexus after all. thanks guys!

and ugh that sentence was painful to write. hate hate hate the name.

nib95

Banned

Donos

Wads said:
A lot of the comparisons I'm seeing people like the Amaze better. I have made my decision... Amaze all the way.

This one and this one pretty much sealed the deal:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phon...ile-htc-amaze-4g-and-samsung-galaxy-s-ii/6666

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...-skin-deep-but-the-bloatware-goes-on-forever/

Dedicated Camera button (Amaze) ! I really don't know why this isn't standard on all smartphones. Seriously missing from my desire hd. Didn't see one at the prime.

MarkMclovin said:
Is it true that Gingerbread only uses 1 core on multi core cpu's?

Certainly not.

11x042899nad.jpg

Anyone here on CM 7.1 yet? Thinking of flashing my galaxy s, i'm at that stage where I'm bored of my phone and need something to keep it interesting...... Stupid 24mth contract.

Maybe I'll install it on my mrs' spare Zte Blade first.

calza

sionyboy said:
Anyone here on CM 7.1 yet? Thinking of flashing my galaxy s, i'm at that stage where I'm bored of my phone and need something to keep it interesting...... Stupid 24mth contract.

Maybe I'll install it on my mrs' spare Zte Blade first.

Yeah its great, I put it on my Blade and it works really good. Battery life might be a little worse over Ginger Stir Fry, but it lasts all day for me and that is 3G on all the time.

r1chard

Has anyone with a Nexus S tried CM 7.1? I know workmates have installed CM on their Galaxy S2 phones to Great Success, but I'm curious as to what the benefit would be for my Nexus S...

gcubed

Copernicus said:
Correct.

USA USA USA

---------------

Man fuck this os.... I can't log in to gchat cause I only have 19.megs free memory instead of 21?

F U
I thought you had like 4 nexus s phones, why the hell are you using the n1

I was just wondering if my GS2 isn't really being used at it's full potential, basically. If ICS uses both cores, then it just makes me a little more excited for it.

gcubed

MarkMclovin said:
I was just wondering if my GS2 isn't really being used at it's full potential, basically. If ICS uses both cores, then it just makes me a little more excited for it.

at the OS level. The OS supports SMP but gingerbread wasn't fully written to take advantage of it. Apps, if programmed for multi-core support, can utilize it.

malyce

r1chard said:
Has anyone with a Nexus S tried CM 7.1? I know workmates have installed CM on their Galaxy S2 phones to Great Success, but I'm curious as to what the benefit would be for my Nexus S...
Installed it on my NS 2 days ago, coming from Oxygen, and 7.1 flies. Battery life is great too.

SimleuqiR

http://phandroid.com/2011/10/12/poll-are-you-buying-a-nexus-prime-if-it-doesnt-have-exynos/

Poll: Are You Buying a Nexus Prime if it Doesn’t Have Exynos?

To me is what US carrier will have it that matters most at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom