• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
I'm confused.

The Nexus S was literally a Galaxy S1 with NFC. So, I understood the backlash and disappointment at the time.

The Prime, on the other hand, is an upgrade from the S2 in almost every respect, except in the GPU department (too early to call, honestly), and it's also blazing the trail for HD displays on phones.

Don't forget they removed the sd card slot, removed HDMI over USB, and a put in a shittier camera!

seat

OriginalThinking said:
You'll still need a way to download the map data but you can still operate a phone without a sim in it over wi-fi. That's GSM style though. CDMA I haven't the faintest. Google Maps now allows you to download an area of 10 miles square for use offline and you can buy maps in the market but they can be pricey.
Not the answer I wanted to hear, but thank you for the help. I may regret switching from Android after all.

rabhw

Vyse The Legend said:
The Prime, on the other hand, is an upgrade from the S2 in almost every respect, except in the GPU department (too early to call, honestly), and it's also blazing the trail for HD displays on phones.

Not really, if Mali 400 is outperforming SGX540 on an equal-resolution device by 150-300%, I don't think increasing the devices resolution by 2.5 times is going to do the Prime any favours, regardless of whatever clock speed they squeeze out of the SGX540.

Copernicus said:
Google pushes updates to the market, unless you freeze the app you're at the mercy of Google.

Not sure about the auto updates.

Cheers. Any idea how to freeze it?

I've also just noticed that my phone now claims that Flash, Facebook and Maps aren't installed (even though they are - they work and everything), and I've magically lost 8MB of storage in the last hour (of non-use).

gcubed

rabhw said:
Not really, if Mali 400 is outperforming SGX540 on an equal-resolution device by 150-300%, I don't think increasing the devices resolution by 2.5 times is going to do the Prime any favours, regardless of whatever clock speed they squeeze out of the SGX540.

what were you smoking when you saw benchmarks of that?

ok a little harsh, since there were some tests that it did

the tests were back and forth, and i believe more is changed then just the speed. Its not going to be the best android device solely because of the resolution... not sure if many people were expecting it to be. It'll be the best in CPU performance, and middle of the pack GPU due to the resolution

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok I'm really feeling like my life is being intruded upon by just how shitty the Android camera app is. Lets just stop everything you're experiencing right now to deal with a problem that was solved like 20 years ago.. *exaggerated eyeroll*

Hey guys, I just learnt that there is a galaxy s2 HD coming up. Is it worth waiting for? I can get a GS2 with one year contract for 250 euros all paid, but maybe if I wait for that one it will be even cheaper. Decisions, decisions...

kehs

Banned
rogue_pigeon said:
Cheers. Any idea how to freeze it?

I've also just noticed that my phone now claims that Flash, Facebook and Maps aren't installed (even though they are - they work and everything), and I've magically lost 8MB of storage in the last hour (of non-use).

Titanium Backup allows you to do it, thought I've never used it for that purpose.

The market acts funny when you clear data manually, been having those same issues lately on my phone as well. =/

720P phones will be the death of limited data plans. 1 episode of Game of Thrones from HBO Go would eat up so much data.

So glad I have unlimited LTE with Verizon

EDIT: Well, thats assuming HBO updates the app so it streams higher quality video

Hey Google can you smell your finger for a second?

Oh, what's that?

It smells like crap?

Well that's because you've had your finger up your ass for the last week.

Stop leaking crappy tidbits from ICS and learn how to communicate correctly. And show us the damned phone/OS already.

"Sorry about the delay in the announcement, we're just finalising the details of the new venue/time and should have something for you in the next 1 to 2 days. In the meantime we'd like to debunk any rumours about the hold up being due to patent issues"

etc etc.

It really isn't that complicated. Much as I'm not a fan of Apple's closed business model the one thing they have is leadership and clear direction. I can't imagine them being in a situation where they wouldn't merge Huddle and Google chat. Then they would clearly brand it as being part of every forthcoming Android device allowing free chat between Android users by having a standalone app for it. Seriously someone at Google must be seeing this shit too, cos I'm no business/marketing genius and I can see the lack of focus and integration a mile off. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

NH Apache

Banned
gcubed said:
touche

i'm tired of the rumors, i just want to see the damn thing

Me too. Just checked my VZW account and my Galaxy tab line, which is on a 20 buck month to month, has an upgrade that is transferable to my droid x. Ohh yeah. I need to see this damn phone.

kehs

Banned
I think I like the Pantech Pocket because it reminds me of the Note:

http://www.androidcentral.com/pantech-pocket-hands

OriginalThinking said:
It really isn't that complicated. Much as I'm not a fan of Apple's closed business model the one thing they have is leadership and clear direction. I can't imagine them being in a situation where they wouldn't merge Huddle and Google chat. Then they would clearly brand it as being part of every forthcoming Android device allowing free chat between Android users by having a standalone app for it. Seriously someone at Google must be seeing this shit too, cos I'm no business/marketing genius and I can see the lack of focus and integration a mile off. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The fall of google begins. =(

Man, with RIM being all "yup....it's definately broke..." about their BBM they could capitalized by cleaning up chords(lol) and talk.

Jeff-DSA

I went and played with the T-Mobile GS2 and the HTC Amaze during lunch. Both seemed like great phones and were really quick with processes and browsing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, good rant OT. I was just thinking about something similar in the shower. (yes I think about google in the shower) I said aloud to myself with my eyes closed because my hair was full of soap "something needs to be done about this."

Copernicus said:
I think I like the Pantech Pocket because it reminds me of the Note:

http://www.androidcentral.com/pantech-pocket-hands

The fall of google begins. =(

Man, with RIM being all "yup....it's definately broke..." about their BBM they could capitalized by cleaning up chords(lol) and talk.

I'm still very much on board the Google Train and I know that Larry recently returned to the business to re-focus Google on core products but I still can't fathom out why Chat, Google Talk and Huddle aren't integrated on Android. Just stick with one name dammit!

Exec: So guys we need a chat system for our new social website, like y'know facebook chat. Do we have anything like that already?

Engineer: Yup, Google chat. It's in Gmail and works brillianty. You can video chat too.

Exec: So we could even integrate that with hangouts? Let's not though cos that would be too simple.

Engineer: Yup.

Exec: So on the desktop we'll keep it as chat in Google+ but on Android we'll call it huddle or messenger or chords. Just to confuse the fuck out of everyone.

Engineer: Great thinking!

Exec: Also that video chat? We won't allow it from the Google+ app. We'll keep it in Google Talk. But we'll call them Hangouts on Google+. Again just to keep everyone on their toes with different product names.

Engineer: Wow, brilliant!

Exec: Lets not bother optimising our app for tablets. Facebook and Twitter haven't so why should we?

Engineer: Bang on the money!

Exec: Finally lets not integrate Google+ into contacts like we allow Twitter to do - We need to give them a headstart right?

Engineer: Absoutely.

Exec: We'd better get cracking then hadn't we?

Engineer: What about Google Voice?

Exec: What about it?

Engineer: Exactly.

SimleuqiR

OriginalThinking said:
I'm still very much on board the Google Train and I know that Larry recently returned to the business to re-focus Google on core products but I still can't fathom out why Chat, Google Talk and Huddle aren't integrated on Android. Just stick with one name dammit!

Exec: So guys we need a chat system for our new social website, like y'know facebook chat. Do we have anything like that already?

Engineer: Yup, Google chat. It's in Gmail and works brillianty. You can video chat too.

Exec: So we could even integrate that with hangouts? Let's not though cos that would be too simple.

Engineer: Yup.

Exec: So on the desktop we'll keep it as chat in Google+ but on Android we'll call it huddle or messenger or chords. Just to confuse the fuck out of everyone.

Engineer: Great thinking!

Exec: Also that video chat? We won't allow it from the Google+ app. We'll keep it in Google Talk. But we'll call them Hangouts on Google+. Again just to keep everyone on their toes with different product names.

Engineer: Wow, brilliant!

Exec: also lets not bother optimising our app for tablets. Facebook and Twitter haven't so why should we?

Engineer: Bang on the money!

Exec: Finally lets not integrate Google+ into contacts like we allow Twitter to do - We need to give them a headstart right?

Engineer: Absoutely.

Exec: We'd better get cracking then hadn't we?

Engineer: What about Google Voice?

Exec: What about it?

Engineer: Exactly.

I just read that as if it was a That Mitchell and Webb Look skit :-D
Reminds me of the toothbrush company skit.

kinggroin

Banned
HawkeyeIC said:
This. To not blow away the GS2 (6 month old phone) at this point on your flagship device would be pretty disapointing. I'm holding off, but my wife gets her 4S on Friday, and it's going to be tough to wait 6 more months for a comparable phone from Samsung.

No offense, but that doesn't really make much sense. Unless you just want bragging rights, what would having a 4 s level hardware do for you, that a nexus prime or a samsung galaxy s 2 couldn't? Hell, I'm not convinced the 4 s is much of an upgrade for current iphone 4 users either (real world use). I personally feel that all phones are being held back on the software side of things more than the hardware at this point.

nib95

Banned
kinggroin said:
No offense, but that doesn't really make much sense. Unless you just want bragging rights, what would having a 4 s level hardware do for you, that a nexus prime or a samsung galaxy s 2 couldn't? Hell, I'm not convinced the 4 s is much of an upgrade for current iphone 4 users either (real world use). I personally feel that all phones are being held back on the software side of things more than the hardware at this point.

Faster browsing, UI speed, application smoothness, gaming technical potency from frame rate to detail, AI, computations, faster gallery, load times, application use etc etc. There are so many things better hardware encompasses, and with a 720p screen, it's that much more important.

kinggroin

Banned
nib95 said:
Faster browsing, UI speed, application smoothness, gaming technical potency from frame rate to detail, AI, computations, faster gallery, load times, application use etc etc. There are so many things better hardware encompasses, and with a 720p screen, it's that much more important.

That a nexus prime or gs2 couldn't.

Again, its the software that holds back android, not hardware at this point. Look at how well all those things are handled on shitty hardware with wp7.

Jeff-DSA

kinggroin said:

Again, its the software that holds back android, not hardware at this point. Look at how well all those things are handled on shitty hardware with wp7.

Hardware acceleration is the best thing ICS can give us.

kinggroin

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
Hardware acceleration is the best thing ICS can give us.

IF its done right, my point will he further cemented when old ass hardware like the Evo, can run the latest os better than the previous one.

Well see.

nib95

Banned
kinggroin said:

Yea but better hardware can only help.

Jeff-DSA

kinggroin said:
IF its done right, my point will he further cemented when old ass hardware like the Evo, can run the latest os better than the previous one.

Well see.

Assuming it ever gets that update, it really should. I guess the CM team will get ICS on there, but it would be nice to see Google push companies to update slightly older hardware.

I can handle the Ice Cream Prime having an 'outdated' SGX540, because there is nothing on the market that is going to stress it.

Except GLBenchmark, but that's a pretty boring game.

Providing software improvements, dual core support and hardware acceleration is properly implemented then current hardware will be fine.

Have spent the evening installing CyanogenMod on the Mrs' ZTE Blade. CPU now overclocked and its handling Angry Birds pretty well. And according to Quadrant its now faster than my Galaxy S (luckily that's a benchmark, real world performace tells a different story).

I guess now I have to decide whether to install 7.1 on my SGS tomorrow evening.... :/

kinggroin

Banned
sionyboy said:
I can handle the Ice Cream Prime having an 'outdated' SGX540, because there is nothing on the market that is going to stress it.

Except GLBenchmark, but that's a pretty boring game.

Providing software improvements, dual core support and hardware acceleration is properly implemented then current hardware will be fine.

Have spent the evening installing CyanogenMod on the Mrs' ZTE Blade. CPU now overclocked and its handling Angry Birds pretty well. And according to Quadrant its now faster than my Galaxy S (luckily that's a benchmark, real world performace tells a different story).

I guess now I have to decide whether to install 7.1 on my SGS tomorrow evening.... :/

7.1 is the best thing that's happened to my X since folks figured out how to install custom roms on it.

kinggroin said:
7.1 is the best thing that's happened to my X since folks figured out how to install custom roms on it.

I'm trying to think of what I would miss about the stock firmware I'm running, and I'm not coming up with a lot.

Think I know what I'll be doing tomorrow evening :)

kinggroin

Banned
You have a galaxy s1 or 2? The reason I ask is because you wanna make sure that cyanogenmod keep that oh so sweet hardware accelerated web browser in the galaxy s 2.

kinggroin said:
You have a galaxy s1 or 2? The reason I ask is because you wanna make sure that cyanogenmod keep that oh so sweet hardware accelerated web browser in the galaxy s 2.

Galaxy S1, but that also has a hardware accelerated browser (since about firmware 2.2.1), although its not great. In fact I've started using Opera 11.5 as my default browser recently, if only so I can post via secondapps during the day.

Lesiroth

sionyboy said:
I'm trying to think of what I would miss about the stock firmware I'm running, and I'm not coming up with a lot.

Think I know what I'll be doing tomorrow evening :)
I just returned to stock from CM7.1 on my SGS, too much stuff I needed that caused me problems in CM. First off, I can't play 720p files, camera and audio quality isn't as good, degradation in battery life, the stock browser is better too.

There's probably a few points I forgot too, but that's about it.

Blackhead

Redarse
OriginalThinking said:
Hey Google can you smell your finger for a second?

Oh, what's that?

It smells like crap?

Well that's because you've had your finger up your ass for the last week.

Stop leaking crappy tidbits from ICS and learn how to communicate correctly. And show us the damned phone/OS already.

"Sorry about the delay in the announcement, we're just finalising the details of the new venue/time and should have something for you in the next 1 to 2 days. In the meantime we'd like to debunk any rumours about the hold up being due to patent issues"

etc etc.

yeah, like how Apple merged iChat, FaceTime and iMessage amirite

IMACOMPUTA

Hey guys. I think i want to install Cyanogenmod on my ATRIX.

Is this a good idea? I've been pretty unhappy with this phone. I'm tired of waiting (literally) 4 minutes for it to boot, and the constant stuttering/microfreezing while texting/browsing.

I'm a total noob. Apple convert.. have had the phone for about 3/4 months.

IMACOMPUTA said:
Hey guys. I think i want to install Cyanogenmod on my ATRIX.

Is this a good idea? I've been pretty unhappy with this phone. I'm tired of waiting (literally) 4 minutes for it to boot, and the constant stuttering/microfreezing while texting/browsing.

I'm a total noob. Apple convert.. have had the phone for about 3/4 months.

It's a great idea if you know what you are doing and Cyanogen mod will open your eyes to what Android is fully capable off, instead of shitty at&t bloatware and Motorola custom skins. Have a look at the unlockr.com for rooting guides and XDA too.

IMACOMPUTA

OriginalThinking said:
It's a great idea if you know what you are doing and Cyanogen mod will open your eyes to what Android is fully capable off, instead of shitty at&t bloatware and Motorola custom skins. Have a look at the unlockr.com for rooting guides and XDA too.

Yeah I'm a noob to android devices, but not to the whole unlocking/modding/jailbreaking etc stuff.

Is there a stable release of CM for the Atrix? Last i saw it was beta.

kehs

Banned
OriginalThinking said:

It's funny I bought an N1, and a NS, but I've downloaded T-Mo apps to both devices, of my own volition.

heh.

IMACOMPUTA said:
Yeah I'm a noob to android devices, but not to the whole unlocking/modding/jailbreaking etc stuff.

Is there a stable release of CM for the Atrix? Last i saw it was beta.

Dunno but CM 7.1 was just released with support for additional devices. XDA should provide your answer if you look in the atrix forums.

Emily Chu

Banned
Is my gmail tied to my verizon wireless account, cellpamaahone #
The one tied to my droid x phone

As in I want to input a dummy gmail only so if my phone is stolen my important gmail doesn't get raped...

Nyc subway stations not going to take the chance already have a dummy gmail setup for nexus prime...

Its amazing how much personal shit are on these "phones"

Even though my droid x is combo locked and passworded im still paranoid about it

3phemeral

Has anyone been running CM7 on a Droid 2? I've been meaning to try another ROM on my phone, but had to revert due to the Gingerbread update. I just recently re-rooted after testing how long I could get by without hacking my phone, and needless to say, after it was rooted, I've already been itching to try a new ROM.

I had Fission a while back, but that doesn't seem to be supported anymore. I've been really interested in the D2/X CM7 project, but can't find much info via user review as everyone seems reluctant to provide any critical analysis comparing any of them.

I know there's Liberty and a few others, but CM7 seems to be the standard if you get the chance to use it, but considering D2's locked bootloader, is CM7 worth it?

Emily Chu said:
Is my gmail tied to my verizon wireless account, cellphone #
The one tied to my droid x phone

As in I want to input a dummy gmail only so if my phone is stolen my important gmail doesn't get raped...

Nyc subway stations not going to take the chance already have a dummy gmail setup for nexus prime...

Did you type this out on your phone? Cos the lack of punctuation was messing with me. Gmail isn't tied to your phone number or Verizon account. It is tied to Android services like the Android Market, Contacts, Google Docs etc. If you are worried about theft why not buy an app that lets you remote wipe/lock your phone? there are ones available on the market ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom