• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
gcubed said:
at the OS level. The OS supports SMP but gingerbread wasn't fully written to take advantage of it. Apps, if programmed for multi-core support, can utilize it.

So to answer his question, yes. ICS should theoretically bring much improved performance on the os level both through better utilization of smp and hardware accelerating it all through the gpu.

Just realized two things now. First, I have to hope that. motorola brings ICS to the droid x (unlikely), and second, this is the last Motorola device I own. Being on a two year upgrade cycle, having an unlocked bootloader is so much more important than it would be otherwise.

Anybody here rooted their Droid Charge by Samsung? Thinking of going with Gummy charged or something similar... There are certain things I like about the stock Charge, but just sick of the clunky memory issues with TouchWiz and want to give the root a good try. It was so easy on my OG Droid but unsure of how it'll be on this guy.

Also, does anybody;s notification tab consistently show the wrong number of updates? Like, my notification pane says "4 Updates Available," so then I click into the market to do it... and it's just one... or just two... It's always like 2 or 3 more than what it is.

Vyse The Legend said:
Well, that Apple event is for employees only.

Also, the Google/Samsung event will be the 19th in Hong Kong, but the 18th in the US.

Which would make it around what 1am in the morning UK time? Or not given that I can't remember when the clocks go back.

OriginalThinking said:
Which would make it around what 1am in the morning UK time? Or not given that I can't remember when the clocks go back.

2am, roughly.

I'm actually traveling to London this weekend, so I will be in the same boat.

SimleuqiR

Vyse The Legend said:
Well, that Apple event is for employees only.

Also, the Google/Samsung event will be the 19th in Hong Kong, but the 18th in the US.

That's great, cause I'll be home and should be able to watch it without interruptions (if it will be live broadcasted).

Talk about trolling!!! Holy shit!

Samsung Crashes Australian iPhone Line With $2 Galaxy S IIs

Never let it be said that Samsung doesn’t know how to pull a good publicity stunt. Samsung has set up shop just two doors down from the Sydney Apple Store (and the growing iPhone 4S line) and is selling their flagship Galaxy S II handset for a scant $2.

SimleuqiR

daoster said:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...eam-sandwich-phone-sorry-prime-is-not-likely/

Anybody post this yet? Claiming that BGR'S rumors were right...as was GSMarena's....but the specs for Gsmarena are for a different phone (unknown if it was a nexus as well)

However, this doesn't mean that GSMarena was wrong. We have reason to believe that those specs are from a completely different device. The device in question may be set to release further down the road, but there is a possibility it is indeed legit.

Well, who the fuck knows at this point. I just hope some version of the Prime is release to all US carriers, and not six months down the road. That would be total bullshit.

SimleuqiR said:
Well, who the fuck knows at this point. I just hope some version of the Prime is release to all US carriers, and not six months down the road. That would be total bullshit.

Well, as long as the i9250 is released, T-Mobile and AT&T customers are covered. This Verizon-exclusive thing is terrible, though.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Bahaha, sad tablet. Its less appealing than a soggy cucumber. And those are pretty bad.

rabhw

Vyse The Legend said:
Well, as long as the i9250 is released, T-Mobile and AT&T customers are covered. This Verizon-exclusive thing is terrible, though.

Yeah, I'm not sure why all this talk seems to be neglecting the i9250...even moreso since the only leaked video of ICS / Prime has shown that device model. Is it just US-centric reporting?

Edit: It also seems a little weird that Samsung / Google would announce a Verizon-exclusive phone in Hong Kong of all places, without any mention of an international version...

kehs

Banned
I like how people think there's going to be two different versions of a Google phones released within weeks of each other, when Google can't even deploy tablet versions of their own apps on their own market for their own OS.

SimleuqiR

Copernicus said:
I like how people think there's going to be two different versions of a Google phones released within weeks of each other, when Google can't even deploy tablet versions of their own apps on their own market for their own OS.

If I didn't know your real name I would think this Google Engineer was you:

Not Android related, but I'm sure the Android development gets the same treatment.

kehs

Banned
SimleuqiR said:
If I didn't know your real name I would think this Google Engineer was you:

Not Android related, but I'm sure the Android development gets the same treatment.

Sounds like something I would say:

One of the team members marched in and told me about it when they launched, and I asked: “So is it the Stalker API?” She got all glum and said “Yeah.” I mean, I was joking, but no… the only API call we offer is to get someone’s stream. So I guess the joke was on me.

Jeff-DSA

Looks like the iPhone got Android 1.5 today. Good for them.

I kid.

My G2 took another step backwards today. It's getting REALLY hard not to just re-up with T-Mobile for their GSII phone or head over to Sprint for theirs. I'm trying my hardest to hold out, but having a phone that can't read SD cards 80% of the time gets old.

Sprint's data coverage kind sucks compared to T-Mobile though. I get T-Mobile's "4G" just about everywhere here, but Sprint has large pockets where you're down on the 3G. Our family cabin doesn't even get Sprint data, but T-Mobile is 4G. If next week's announcement doesn't put the Nexus phone on T-Mobile, I'll probably just settle for their GSII, despite the lesser processor.

Agentnibs

Jeff-DSA said:

I kid.

My G2 took another step backwards today. It's getting REALLY hard not to just re-up with T-Mobile for their GSII phone or head over to Sprint for theirs. I'm trying my hardest to hold out, but having a phone that can't read SD cards 80% of the time gets old.

Sprint's data coverage kind sucks compared to T-Mobile though. I get T-Mobile's "4G" just about everywhere here, but Sprint has large pockets where you're down on the 3G. Our family cabin doesn't even get Sprint data, but T-Mobile is 4G. If next week's announcement doesn't put the Nexus phone on T-Mobile, I'll probably just settle for their GSII, despite the lesser processor.

You should check out the amaze while you're at the store. I have a buddy who's reviewing both and he's saying that though both are great, amaze is coming out on top. Slightly smaller screen but better build quality and better camera. He did say the gs2 is wins at data speed though

rozay

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:

I kid.

Why don't you grab a GS2 on contract, sell it and put that money towards a nexus? Seems like a waste to not use upgrades when you pay a monthly subsidy fee.

Jeff-DSA

rozay said:
Why don't you grab a GS2 on contract, sell it and put that money towards a nexus? Seems like a waste to not use upgrades when you pay a monthly subsidy fee.

You sir, are smarter than I am.

Yeah, I actually though of that. I should probably do the same with my wife's phone upgrade. She loves her G2 though, so whatever she upgrades to will probably just be sold as brand new.

Jeff-DSA

gcubed said:
Android |BOMBA|

So i didn't have 3.2.1 i went right to 3.2.2 from 3.2. Did anyone notice if the bootup time is a bit faster? It seems like it to me

I felt it was, but I never timed it so I don't know. Overall everything seems a tad bit snappier.

Twice in the last week, my HTC Desire (TMobile UK) has decided to try to update all the Google apps, Flash and Facebook (i.e. all the fucking massive updates I don't have room for). Automatic updates were turned off for everything in the market, yet it still happened. Twice.

I also couldn't cancel the downloads once they'd started - I had to wait for them to finish downloading and failing to install. Good thing I don't have a small data allowance...

Additionally, the first time this happened, it also updated the market itself (from the old green and white design to the newer tiled design). And after rolling back that update, I'm now using a market version older than the one that was on my phone when I got it in January. Brilliant.

Anyone know why this is happening, and how I can prevent it in future?

gcubed

Jeff-DSA said:
I felt it was, but I never timed it so I don't know. Overall everything seems a tad bit snappier.

yeah. Hope ICS comes quickly. Not too excited about the market. Does the my apps section is "squished" and the "accept/download" page looks out of whack as well. Not a great effort. On a side note, SlingPlayer for Tablets is sooo good

kehs

Banned
rogue_pigeon said:
Twice in the last week, my HTC Desire (TMobile UK) has decided to try to update all the Google apps, Flash and Facebook (i.e. all the fucking massive updates I don't have room for). Automatic updates were turned off for everything in the market, yet it still happened. Twice.

I also couldn't cancel the downloads once they'd started - I had to wait for them to finish downloading and failing to install. Good thing I don't have a small data allowance...

Additionally, the first time this happened, it also updated the market itself (from the old green and white design to the newer tiled design). And after rolling back that update, I'm now using a market version older than the one that was on my phone when I got it in January. Brilliant.

Anyone know why this is happening, and how I can prevent it in future?

Android market defaults all apps to auto update. When you clear data for the market all the settings for the apps are reverted to "default" or "Auto update".

Clearing data and rolling back updates will leave you with the oldest version , and you just need to wait until the market rechecks for a new update and then you'll be up to date, then individually turn off "auto update" on all the apps.

More Nexus Prime (never going to call it Galaxy Nexus) information:

Also of note is the fact that Google and Samsung are said to be rather protective of how the phone is unveiled and the marketing surrounding it. Apparently Verizon is having a hard time getting their voice heard or having a hand in the launch of the phone, further confirming that exclusive rights will only last for a limited period of time. Samsung and Google seem to be prepping the phone for a much wider release and have a very specific way they want the phone represented. The whole back and forth is causing some tension behind the scenes, especially with invites to a new device announcement event set to go out any day now. Just don’t expect the new event to fall on this Friday.

Good. I'm sure Verizon wants this done their way; thankfully, Google/Samsung seem to be doing it the right way.

Google: For ***** sake just announce the announcement already. You should never have delayed the original announcement in the first place and now you are keeping us in the dark like some unloved basement dwellers.

I'm starting to believe you couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. This phone nerd has waited long enough.

Not happy.

kehs

Banned
V is probably pissed that G wants the P being sold exclusively at BB. Activating the P will require BB to call V to add the PRL to the phone and the ESN IMEI to V's system. V isn't getting a cut of this phone apart from the monthly $ so they're throwing a hissy fit.

One phone for all carriers, being sold at BB. Mark it.

nib95

Banned
Honestly, the more I read the more I think Google/Samsung are being complacent and about to ruin an opportunity that rarely comes around. Apple messed up with the 4S's meagre upgrade. Rather than blow the competition away, it's starting to sound like the Nexus Prime will be incremental or comparable at best if those specs are to be believed (the cpu/gpu combo is still behind the Galaxy S2 and 4S). If they're confirmed, I'm just going to go 4S and chalk it up to a botched launch and complacently spec'd device.

You're losing me android.

gcubed

nib95 said:
Honestly, the more I read the more I think Google/Samsung are being complacent and about to ruin an opportunity that rarely comes around. Apple messed up with the 4S's meagre upgrade. Rather than blow the competition away, it's starting to sound like the Nexus Prime will be incremental or comparable at best if those specs are to be believed (the cpu/gpu combo is still behind the Galaxy S2 and 4S). If they're confirmed, I'm just going to go 4S and chalk it up to a botched launch and complacently spec'd device.

you were never going to get a 4s beater, never have in the past and won't now. It'll get beaten in about 4-6 months.

The CPU is better then the GS2, the GPU, we will have to see, it is using an older overclocked chipset, which could still possibly beat the mali, but its pushing a 1280x720 screen, which will hamper it.

Copernicus said:
Android market defaults all apps to auto update. When you clear data for the market all the settings for the apps are reverted to "default" or "Auto update".

Clearing data and rolling back updates will leave you with the oldest version , and you just need to wait until the market rechecks for a new update and then you'll be up to date, then individually turn off "auto update" on all the apps.

Yes I noticed that it reset the preferences the first time it updated, but that doesn't explain why:

1) The market updated itself in the first place
2) The apps tried to update themselves again, days later - after I'd turned off auto-update again

kehs

Banned
rogue_pigeon said:
Yes I noticed that it reset the preferences the first time it updated, but that doesn't explain why:

1) The market updated itself in the first place
2) The apps tried to update themselves again, days later - after I'd turned off auto-update again

Google pushes updates to the market, unless you freeze the app you're at the mercy of Google.

Not sure about the auto updates.

HawkeyeIC

nib95 said:

This. To not blow away the GS2 (6 month old phone) at this point on your flagship device would be pretty disapointing. I'm holding off, but my wife gets her 4S on Friday, and it's going to be tough to wait 6 more months for a comparable phone from Samsung.

gcubed

HawkeyeIC said:
This. To not blow away the GS2 (6 month old phone) at this point on your flagship device would be pretty disapointing. I'm holding off, but my wife gets her 4S on Friday, and it's going to be tough to wait 6 more months for a comparable phone from Samsung.

until google puts ANY kind of focus on gaming on a larger scale, the GPU only matters if it can push the OS with little issue.

Lesiroth

There seems to be a rumor that the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus Prime are two different phones, with the latter releasing a bit later with Exynos. Really doubt it though.

seat

Can an Android phone continue to be used as a GPS system after it's been deactivated or disassociated with a phone number? I'm upgrading to a non-Android phone and would like to contine using my Droid 1's Google Navigation app.

seat said:
Can an Android phone continue to be used as a GPS system after it's been deactivated or disassociated with a phone number? I'm upgrading to a non-Android phone and would like to contine using my Droid 1's Google Navigation app.

You'll still need a way to download the map data but you can still operate a phone without a sim in it over wi-fi. That's GSM style though. CDMA I haven't the faintest. Google Maps now allows you to download an area of 10 miles square for use offline and you can buy maps in the market but they can be pricey.

HawkeyeIC said:

I'm confused.

The Nexus S was literally a Galaxy S1 with NFC. So, I understood the backlash and disappointment at the time.

The Prime, on the other hand, is an upgrade from the S2 in almost every respect, except in the GPU department (too early to call, honestly), and it's also blazing the trail for HD displays on phones.

nib95 said:

Yeah, they certainly 'messed up'. A million pre-orders in 24 hrs. Will probably end up being their best-selling phone ever. Reviews very favorable. They saved hundreds of millions in R&D, new manufacturing lines, etc. I bet they're kicking themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom