• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
ah ok, you found it from Nvidia, was looking but couldnt find it. The 1152 is obviously missing hte 48 pixels for the on screen menus, just couldnt find anything else.

Still no idea why they would drop it down to an adreno 225 when you have a glorious screen. I wouldnt even question Nvidia if it wasn't for their inability to decode HD h264 in the Tegra 2.

Pretty much, I'm still shocked the hardware is incapable of handling rotated screens.

Husker86

is there an app that lets me text using data with my cell phone #?

Nope. Closest thing would be Google Voice but then you'd have to "switch" to your Google Voice number.

If you are texting to other smartphone users, WhatsApp can identify who else has the app, based on their phone number, and show you in the contact list. But you aren't really texting from/to a real cell number.

giga

Using the APQ8060 over the Tegra 3 for a tablet that will need even more graphical horsepower doesn't make any sense at all. This is the Adreno 220--the same old GPU inside the HP Touchpad.

I call bull.

Is a Google Phablet Next?

Samsung has done it with the Galaxy Note, LG jumped on board today with the Optimus Vu: will Google and Motorola phollow in their phablet phootsteps? We won’t know how the Vu holds up until Mobile World Congress in a week’s time, but already the phone/tablet hybrid segment is getting interesting. The lingering question is whether phablets are the standout form-factor of 2012 or merely a fad, and it could be Google and imminently-acquired Motorola Mobility that swing the decision one way or another.

tino

Banned
So I finally got off my ass and flashed some new ROM on my HD2.

A little reviews:

AOSP/CM7 based HyperDroidGBX-v12:
XDA is a god damn chaotic place, as far as I can tell this is probably the cleanest CM7 ROM I can find. For the short time I used it, it felt very stable and reliable. However, I can't say it fells faster than my almost two year old CM7 ROM. I also think the everything white-on-black scheme is a bit hard to read. I backuped the ROM and then moved on.

MIUI-AU ICS v4 beta 10:
This is my first time with a MIUI ROM. The UI is indeed very impressive. I would say its as polish as the iPhone UI. I really like how easy it is to change the theme. I can read Chinese so most of the themes feel right at home to me. My favorite is the pastel round button theme. I like the few extra apps they bundle in the ROM too.

But this thing is not production ready. The camera app doesn't work, and the Android 4.0 browser gives weird errors. The moment I turn on setCPU I almost killed the touch screen. Overall its about 20% slower than CM7. It gets slow when you try to get out of the launcher UI.

NexusHD2-ICS-4.0.3-CM9 V1.4:
When I booted up this ROM I really didn't like it. Let me go ahead and say that I don't like 95% of the UI change they put in Android 4.0. I don't like the new logos, (not that the olders ones were that much better); I hate the barren launcher and the awful Tron blue color. Basically I think google paid big bucks to Matias Duarte for a turkey. Actually two turkeys in a row. Besides the very powerful power switch utility there is nothing to write home around. You just have to replace it with a 3rd party launcher whole sale.

However, it took me a day to realize how fast it is. The new Android 4.0 browser is really really fast. Not only does it render complex page fast, it also does it effortlessly. I was browsing a shitty website findicons.com on my netbook (AMD fussion), and then I went out and continued to browse it on the phone. You know what, the Android 4.0 browser was smoother than Chrome on w7. I was listening to music too. The under laying upgrade is really impressive. I have experienced Android upgrade from 2.1->2.2, to 2.3, to now 4.0 (well a hacked version that's probably 90% feature completed), Android 4.0 is hands down the most impressive upgrade.

The new font engine is very readable and very flexible. I just like how smooth it is to scroll through the 100+ item app list on Folder Organizer and be able to stop precisely at any point I want to. I couldn't do it on CM7. I don't remember my iPhone 3GS's contact list scrolling was this smooth either. I still haven't encountered one instant that made me want to try out overclocking. This phone is from 2009, and now I have no excuse to upgrade. Amazing.

kehs

Banned
at being inconsequential?

padfone will be the new "cell" or "phone" in linguistics.

"When is the apple's new padfone coming out, will it finally multi task properly in software?"

"Let me borrow your screen, i let my wife borrow mine, and she put it in the dishwasher."

"Woa, woa, look at badass over here with his 23" padeskfone"

Al-ibn Kermit

Using the APQ8060 over the Tegra 3 for a tablet that will need even more graphical horsepower doesn't make any sense at all. This is the Adreno 220--the same old GPU inside the HP Touchpad.

I call bull.
Also the TF700 won't come out until June, so that means they would be using last year's tech in a $600 tablet with over 1080P resolution. Not even apple would have the balls to try to sell that.

JCX

I've seen two android tablets in the wild! One OG Transformer, and the other was a Lenovo something. Good to see that people are buying them.

MrBig

I've seen two android tablets in the wild! One OG Transformer, and the other was a Lenovo something. Good to see that people are buying them.

I've only ever seen 3 tablets. My own Lenovo Thinkpad and 2 iPads.
Of course whenever people see my tablet they ask "is that an iPad?"

rozay

Banned
We know that Tegra 3 has a PC-class GeForce GPU, but only a couple of developers have taken full advantage of it.
lol nope

Angry Fork, there is no way the galaxy S3 will be available in america before september at the earliest (maybe even later!). What carrier are you on?

Circle T

padfone will be the new "cell" or "phone" in linguistics.

"When is the apple's new padfone coming out, will it finally multi task properly in software?"

"Let me borrow your screen, i let my wife borrow mine, and she put it in the dishwasher."

"Woa, woa, look at badass over here with his 23" padeskfone"

LOL

JCX

I've only ever seen 3 tablets. My own Lenovo Thinkpad and 2 iPads.
Of course whenever people see my tablet they ask "is that an iPad?"

Yeah, explaining is usually like that, with the new additions of "is that a kindle/nook?""

I have seen a good number of kindles and nooks of different varieties. Also forgot that I met someone with the small galaxy tab.

tfur

What do you all think are the best phones for upgrading users on AT&T?

My sister wanted to upgrade, and I have not followed AT&T much.

Yeah, go to the playlist and hit the little diagonal arrow and check "available offline".

The only options that appear are "Play", "Rename" and "Delete" on playlists that were created on my phone. The playlists which were created in google music have that option, but that's no help.

kehs

Banned
The only options that appear are "Play", "Rename" and "Delete" on playlists that were created on my phone. The playlists which were created in google music have that option, but that's no help.

I think if you include the playlists in the same directory as your music and upload through music manager youll be able to use them like the other playlists.

Blackhead

Redarse
I want to know what kind of pockets you have which can fit a Kindle Fire or any other Kindle inside.
Regular/small sized pockets... before useful tablets became readily available I used to stuff paperback books in my pockets. Those are on average 7.8" long by 5.12" wide and usually a bit thick too. The Kindle Fire is 7.5" × 4.7" and an easier fit. It's not that the devices magically disappear in my pockets like a tiny phone would—I'm just past the point of caring that everybody can see a bulge in my pants. After a stock reply to the effect that 'I got a thousand books in my pocket I could be reading right now so I'm not happy to see you' my friends got tired of cracking jokes. *shrug*

jokkir

Is this considered good battery life for my Nexus S?

e0n6A.png

gTR7T.png

Regular/small sized pockets... before useful tablets became readily available I used to stuff paperback books in my pockets. Those are on average 7.8" long by 5.12" wide and usually a bit thick too. The Kindle Fire is 7.5" × 4.7" and an easier fit. It's not that the devices magically disappear in my pockets like a tiny phone would—I'm just past the point of caring that everybody can see a bulge in my pants. After a stock reply to the effect that 'I got a thousand books in my pocket I could be reading right now so I'm not happy to see you' my friends got tired of cracking jokes. *shrug*

I'm kinda curious if you wear cargo pants or something now. Because I don't know of any "regular/small sized" pockets which can fit a paperback book in them either.

Your observation is kind of interesting though, maybe Amazon's decision on the Kindle Fire's size was made based on how big a paperback book is!

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm kinda curious if you wear cargo pants or something now. Because I don't know of any "regular/small sized" pockets which can fit a paperback book in them either.

Your observation is kind of interesting though, maybe Amazon's decision on the Kindle Fire's size was made based on how big a paperback book is!

I wear jeans! It's all about desire; it's easier if you want it in there and believe it can fit. You have to put it in slowly and carefully on the first attempt. Always use lube. If anything gets torn immediately go see a doc... erm, where was I?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Anyone know anything about the availability of the Onda vi40? Looks like I'm going to be picking one of these up as a cheapy tablet, but seems to be out of stock everywhere right now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If it wasn't for the ridiculously low amount of on board memory and the fact that many apps, including some from google, won't allow me to place all their data on an sd card, I'd hold on to the phone longer. It still runs pretty smoothly, for an android phone.

yogloo

ICS is amazing. I would never want to go back to gingerbread anymore. Everything is simply much more polished and well thought out.

gcubed

Pretty happy that ICS is coming to the thunderbolt now. How do you guys like ics so far?

its the first time android feels like a complete OS. Not sure how much Sense is going to ruin that feeling, but stock ICS is the best Android experience since its conception by far.

tino

Banned
So I listen to the engadget mobile, both the ATT and canadian versions of Galaxy Note run on slower processor. That's horrible.

Does anyone know if the European version of Galaxy Note can use TMobile 3G?

Futureman

Is there a way to bring up the dialer while listening to a voicemail in Google Voice? Just got a voicemail asking me to press 1 to confirm an appointment. Can't believe that hasn't come up yet after using GV for a year and a half now.

kehs

Banned
Is there a way to bring up the dialer while listening to a voicemail in Google Voice? Just got a voicemail asking me to press 1 to confirm an appointment. Can't believe that hasn't come up yet after using GV for a year and a half now.

It's a voicemail, you can't interact with the past.

?

kehs

Banned
lol

-----

Ubuntu on Android. Dock your phone and load up ubuntu.

Canonical gave us a walkthrough of the experience, and it really couldn't be more simple. Dock the phone, and Ubuntu Unity fires up. Photos and videos are instantly available in the desktop experience.

But photos and videos are chump change. You've got full Chromium and Thunderbird apps. VLC. The Ubuntu Music Player. If it's on Ubuntu, it can be on your phone.

But the real power is in the ability to launch your Android apps within that desktop experience. Same goes for contacts. Or your network settings. Or your notifications. It's Android within an Ubuntu experience. And it's pretty slick.

http://www.androidcentral.com/ubuntu-android-becomes-real-looks-take-motos-webtop-experience

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

My dreams are coming true. =*)

Husker86

I just made a playlist on my phone, added a random song to it, and the "Available Offline" option is there.

Are you sure you're adding songs to it that are in your Google Music cloud?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom