• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily Chu

Banned
OriginalThinking said:
Did you type this out on your phone? Cos the lack of punctuation was messing with me. Gmail isn't tied to your phone number or Verizon account. It is tied to Android services like the Android Market, Contacts, Google Docs etc. If you are worried about theft why not buy an app that lets you remote wipe/lock your phone? there are ones available on the market ;-)
Yeeep droid x, what's the best remote wipe app?
I remember my ipod touch 2g had this thing if you enter.the.wrong passcode 10 times it autowipes.

Thanks

Emily Chu said:
Yeeep droid x, what's the best remote wipe app?
I remember my ipod touch 2g had this thing if you enter.the.wrong passcode 10 times it autowipes.

Thanks

No idea what the best one is, but here's a starter

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bitdefender.security&feature=search_result

Good ratings and feature rich.

Other possibilities...

https://market.android.com/search?q=remote+wipe&so=1&c=apps

EDIT:

This is the most popular one (and highly rated)

Lookout
You'll need the premium version for remote wipe capability.

3phemeral

wario said:
edit: whoops. quoted the wrong person
Ah ha, I was just about to post this. But I also vouch for this. I recently discovered thus, and it's a hassle at first setup, but I'm always certain that I'm the only one accessing my account, considering I have Google Authenticate on to generate my codes for logging in. Not so bad to have access permitted every 30 days for that code.

The main time-consuming one is the application-specific password, as you have to do it for every single app that also uses your gmail, but it works flawlessly. And again, once your main devices are out of the way, not longer tedious.

kehs

Banned
For what it's worth, if you change your password for your email, your phone will lock out and ask for the new password.

Wads

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
I went and played with the T-Mobile GS2 and the HTC Amaze during lunch. Both seemed like great phones and were really quick with processes and browsing.
I got the amaze. Lives up to its name! If you are on the fence, get off and get this phone!

OriginalThinking said:
It's a great idea if you know what you are doing and Cyanogen mod will open your eyes to what Android is fully capable off, instead of shitty at&t bloatware and Motorola custom skins. Have a look at the unlockr.com for rooting guides and XDA too.
I was thinking about putting CM on my Atrix as well, but I didn't think it was supported yet.

IMACOMPUTA

PrivateWHudson said:
I was thinking about putting CM on my Atrix as well, but I didn't think it was supported yet.

From what I've read at XDA everything works except the fingerprint scanner and webtop mode.

So, can someone walk me through how voice mail works on my AT&T GS2? Im use to my iphone, so not being able to record it myself right on the phone is weird. All i have is My Carrier under voice mail service, and a number that isnt a mine under setting.

gcubed

Sorry was at a hockey game and couldn't get good reception. I didn't think you'd need the speeds for mobile use, but shit is it fast. Definitely see a battery difference with the add on but on a tablet not a huge deal. Hopefully its not as bad on the newer phones with it built in... but shit is it fast
Its faster then my n1 on wifi. Music streaming, slingbox, Netflix. Yum

kehs

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
So, can someone walk me through how voice mail works on my AT&T GS2? Im use to my iphone, so not being able to record it myself right on the phone is weird. All i have is My Carrier under voice mail service, and a number that isnt a mine under setting.

You'll probably have to use ATT system, so go to the dialer and touch and hold on 1, or call your own number, it should direct you straight to voicemail, from there enter pin and you should get options.

(Copernicus does not have att)

DXPett1

Cudder said:
I cannot fucking take this low internal storage/shitty touch screen of the N1 anymore. GIVE ME MY NEXUS PRIMEEEEEEEEE

Add to that recently my battery barely lasts a work day now :(

Prime Prime Prime Prime Prime Prime

gcubed

Gamer @ Heart said:
Get Google voice and use it for your voicemail

Flambe

Cudder said:
I cannot fucking take this low internal storage/shitty touch screen of the N1 anymore. GIVE ME MY NEXUS PRIMEEEEEEEEE

Tell me about it, Motorola Milestone here. I can't even play Jelly Defense without erasing my 10mb Baby Names app (gf would kill me) and that wouldn't even be enough, I don't want to sacrifice one of my Kairosoft games =p

ungh, c'mon Galaxy S2-X Telus, christ

Here is my home screen

Gaq4t.jpg

I use GO Launcher EX

D.Suger skin from Go Launcher market

Background is "Dark Wood" http://www.themeandroid.com/wallpaper/abstract/dark-wood-386.html

Clock is "Ice Cream Sandwich Clock" widget from Marketplace

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
Its coming from inside the house!

I have a confession to make. I think I'm schizo, and I think Jtwo and I are the same people.

Just to make this not completely off topic....you can think of it as an alias when email through gmail on android.

gcubed said:
Get Google voice and use it for your voicemail

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea Voice could take over that function

EDIT: Shit. G Voice wont verify my number after i put a PIN in. I guess my phone already has one? I dont ever remember setting one and the google voice set up screen says i am setting one up, not inputting one i have. Do i need to call AT&T?

EDit 2: Dam. I even get errors trying to sign up over the internet. WTF. Its a Puerto Rico number, but that shouldnt make a difference. Its shouldnt be considered international and i would have hope a company as big as google would be above that error

Socreges

Banned
Does anyone know when the Galaxy S2 (or whatever variant) is releasing for Rogers in Canada? Or Telus?

Looking to jump on the Android bandwagon, but it definitely won't be cheap.

[edit] Alternatively, how much do you guys think it would cost to import the Nexus Prime from the U.S.? $800? More?

soultron

Banned
Socreges said:
Does anyone know when the Galaxy S2 (or whatever variant) is releasing for Rogers in Canada? Or Telus?

[edit] Alternatively, how much do you guys think it would cost to import the Nexus Prime from the U.S.? $800? More?
The Galaxy S2 models are already out here in Canada. Super short battery life though, from what my friends have been telling me. But they're probably running the things on full bright, sync every 15 seconds, and dumb shit like task killers.

Socreges

Banned
soultron said:
The Galaxy S2 models are already out here in Canada.
Direct me, kind sir. For I'm quite sure you're wrong.

Nothing on Rogers' website, nor Telus'. The Bell model was just released a few days ago.

Blackhead

Redarse
Socreges said:

The most recent rumor said the Nexus Prime will be sold at BestBuy and you guys have that chain, right? Do they sell unlocked phones up in Canada (who sold the Nexus S)?

So my Cyanogen 7.1'ed Motorola Defy is having serious battery problems. It lasts only around 12 hours with minimal use, and 5, 6 hours if I even decide to use twitter and browsing on it.

Anyone has any good tips?

Lesiroth said:
I just returned to stock from CM7.1 on my SGS, too much stuff I needed that caused me problems in CM. First off, I can't play 720p files, camera and audio quality isn't as good, degradation in battery life, the stock browser is better too.

There's probably a few points I forgot too, but that's about it.
Lame. Was hoping to gain features, not lose them.

Maybe I'll investigate some custom kernels instead, something with an ext4 fix.

CPS2

Is there a way to use my home internet connection on a galaxy s2 without using wifi?

What I'm trying to do is download Let's Golf 3 HD which is around 1.4GB, without using up all my phone data.

pda net should work i believe...uses your pc connection. hard wire tether.

or maybe that works backwards,

if i may ask, why wouldn't you want to use wifi? just plug it in and let it rip.

CPS2

BootlegSnackz said:
if i may ask, why wouldn't you want to use wifi? just plug it in and let it rip.

I have a cable modem with no wifi, and I do have a wifi router but it's really crappy and always stops working after like 1 minute.

I think pda net is just a standard tethering program?

Zeppu

So, in all this panic and rumours over rumours, do we have anything at all which is confirmed?

Do we even have a certain date for the unpacked event?

Does anyone know if the *#*#197328640#*# (don't mess around with it if you don't know what you are doing) code for Samsung phones has been ported for the Nexus S? The Nexus S is from Samsung but the code doesn't seem to work. My provider reccently enabled the AMR-WB codec and I wanted to check if it is activated or can be activated within that secret engineering mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom