• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krait looks like a winner:

ozumJ.png

V0wVQ.png

ySjPx.png

Circle T

^^

Ask gcubed what he thinks about Qualcomm testing results

Also, notice the developer version of the 8660 doing 90s in Linpack, but the Rezound (using that same chipset in a real handset) only scores 50s. The developer 8960 does put up some great numbers, but we'll see once things get into real devices.

*Edit* - Yea, what he said.....

lol, i have no doubt it will still be tops until the new chipset from Samsung releases, but Qualcomm's reference chipset results are generally much higher then on a real phone

Best Android device ever: Asus Transformer Prime. Seriously this thing is a revolution for me. I like it even more than my Galaxy Nexus and that is quite some admission. Were it not for the iPad having way more apps available I'd say it was hands sown the best Tablet ever produced. In fact, screw it - it is. Wonderful, wonderful device.

Blackhead

Redarse
Best Android device ever: Asus Transformer Prime. Seriously this thing is a revolution for me. I like it even more than my Galaxy Nexus and that is quite some admission. Were it not for the iPad having way more apps available I'd say it was hands sown the best Tablet ever produced. In fact, screw it - it is. Wonderful, wonderful device.
What apps and/or mods do you have installed? What do you use it for?

What apps and/or mods do you have installed? What do you use it for?

Mods? So far none. Unless you count having the keyboard dock as a Mod and if you are getting a Prime you'd be be insane not to get the dock. As for apps, Tune In Radio Pro, Romfetcher (console game roms). Snesoid, Gensoid, N64oid etc etc. Movies, IMDB, Osmos HD, Dropbox, Google Reader, Pulse, BeyondPod. I've just started really. The stock apps - Gmail, Browser, Gallery, Maps etc etc are immense. It's the smoothest Android experience I've had yet.

As for what I use it for - Mostly web browsing, listening to radio, checking e-mail, some gaming. Planning to use it as a word processor for work purposes too, something I could never have before on a Tablet due to touchscreen typing being horrible on Tablets. I'm also planning to use it for watching movies and TV on the go. It's insanely light and slim so it'll be barely noticeable compared to a laptop and I won't have to worry about needing to be near a powerpoint all the time.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Not sure why people want to dock their phones. Useless. We just need better cloud syncing abilities.

Aside from using a keyboard, that is.

kehs

Banned
Problem is, 99.9% of people have laptops and pcs >.<;

True, but when it comes time to get new hardware, you can splurge on a better screen instead of another entire computer.

I'm just super stoked for it because I'm at that point where all my computers are dropping left and right.

jee

Yeah, it is an incredible device. There are two things that really bother me though. Proprietary charging port and no AMOLED. Especially the latter. After having an AMOLED screen on my phone for two years it feels like a major step backwards. The black... is light gray.

Yeah, it is an incredible device. There are two things that really bother me though. Proprietary charging port and no AMOLED. Especially the latter. After having an AMOLED screen on my phone for two years it feels like a major step backwards. The black... is light gray.

If I was coming from an Amoled tablet I'd be right with you. Coming from a Xoom though.....

kinggroin

Banned
Build 25 of aokp now allows us to hide the nav buttons for the GN as we wish. Full screen apps and web browsing is something to behold on this. Now just need a way to hide/show with a gesture.

kehs

Banned
Video of ubuntu/android Looks a bit slow though. =/

Not only is ubuntu built in, but when you switch to a TV is loads up Ubuntu TV version.

This is something that Google damned well better be working on as part of the OS and it's so obvious that only a company like Google would ignore it.

tino

Banned
Video of ubuntu/android Looks a bit slow though. =/

Not only is ubuntu built in, but when you switch to a TV is loads up Ubuntu TV version.

This is something that Google damned well better be working on as part of the OS and it's so obvious that only a company like Google would ignore it.

I think google will announce the merging of ChromeOS to Android when the intel optimized version of Android 5 is announced. The ChromeOS itslef has always been a decoy to put Microsoft at ease.

And then Eric Schmidt is going to be like "gotcha we are not doing cloud only OS anymore suckas."

Darkkn

I think google will announce the merging of ChromeOS to Android when the intel optimized version of Android 5 is announced. The ChromeOS itslef has always been a decoy to put Microsoft at ease.

And then Eric Schmidt is going to be like "gotcha we are not doing cloud only OS anymore suckas."

Isn't Chrome OS a downgrade to Android at this point? I don't really see what Chrome OS offers that Android does not. If anything it seems way less capable of doing variety of stuff.

Google partnering with Ubuntu would be amazing. This 'desktop inside your phone' concept has a lot of potential and Ubuntu is very competitive desktop environment.

Futureman

It's a voicemail, you can't interact with the past.

?

yea now that I think about it, that doesn't make sense.

something with my doctor's automated appointment confirmation system doesn't work with Google Voice. It's on a voicemail, but it's asking me to press 1 for this, 2 for that, etc.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If I had a sufficiently powerful phone, I'd love to carry it around and just plug it in once I got into the office.

Why? Why not just have a laptop? I get the price factor but it seems like people actually prefer one device.

leadbelly

Banned
Also, notice the developer version of the 8660 doing 90s in Linpack, but the Rezound (using that same chipset in a real handset) only scores 50s. The developer 8960 does put up some great numbers, but we'll see once things get into real devices.

*Edit* - Yea, what he said.....

Custom roms do help in terms of real world performance.

gcubed

something with my doctor's automated appointment confirmation system doesn't work with Google Voice. It's on a voicemail, but it's asking me to press 1 for this, 2 for that, etc.

Automated systems don't change if its a person or not. Its just a recording

Ashhong

Hey guys so I'm still narrowing down my choices for my girlfriends phone. I am currently going between Galaxy S 4G and Nexus S. 4G isn't really a big deal. Is the Nexus a better buy?

The Galaxy seems to be about 100$ with contract renewal (which seems steep to me considering the age of the phone) while I think the Nexus is free or also 100$.

kehs

Banned

Oh, you're talking about the touch tone menu and not a voicemail(as in when someone leaves a message for you).

I've read random things about Google Voice not working properly with touch tone menus. https://groups.google.com/a/googlep.../voice/making-and-receiving-calls/kgdvDGPvswg

Husker86

Lets ignore ICS, although that is a plus in my eyes, since she won't notice. Hardware wise, are they pretty equal?

Hardware wise they are exactly the same I think, besides the curved glass of the Nexus S. I'd go Nexus without a 2nd thought. She will absolutely notice TW Gingerbread to stock ICS (if she used both). The question is which she would like more because TW is pretty slick since it added HW acceleration to 2.x Android. I've only used it on my Mom's Epic4G Touch (GS2) though.

Ashhong

Hardware wise they are exactly the same I think, besides the curved glass of the Nexus S. I'd go Nexus without a 2nd thought. She will absolutely notice TW Gingerbread to stock ICS (if she used both). The question is which she would like more because TW is pretty slick since it added HW acceleration to 2.x Android. I've only used it on my Mom's Epic4G Touch (GS2) though.

I don't care if she would like TW, I am in control of the phones software wise, and no matter what I would take TW off first thing. Trying to figure out how to buy it though. Want it relatively cheap with renewal of contract.

edit: anybody know of a site or place that sells the Nexus S with discount with renewal? I am finding discontinued and not many options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom