• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, notice the developer version of the 8660 doing 90s in Linpack, but the Rezound (using that same chipset in a real handset) only scores 50s. The developer 8960 does put up some great numbers, but we'll see once things get into real devices.

HTC Sense is probably responsible for losing the 40 Linpack score.

I'm only half-joking, too.

rozay

Banned
I don't care if she would like TW, I am in control of the phones software wise, and no matter what I would take TW off first thing. Trying to figure out how to buy it though. Want it relatively cheap with renewal of contract.

edit: anybody know of a site or place that sells the Nexus S with discount with renewal? I am finding discontinued and not many options.
Get the nexus S.

Unfortunately it's not really sold anymore now that google has the galaxy nexus (but too bad they don't fucking sell the GSM version here to make up for it) but you can find used ones on ebay or craigslist for less than $300.

Ashhong

Get the nexus S.

Unfortunately it's not really sold anymore now that google has the galaxy nexus (but too bad they don't fucking sell the GSM version here to make up for it) but you can find used ones on ebay or craigslist for less than $300.

Ah, looking for it with a contract because her contract is up and wants that discount. Best Buy has it for $100 with renewal, that's all I can find. Guess we'll have to go with that if we can't find an asian place with it. The Nexus S looks about 100x better than the Galaxy S.

tino

Banned
^^^ Nexus S was never popular, just find a new or mint version on ebay.

HTC Sense is probably responsible for losing the 40 Linpack score.

I'm only half-joking, too.

I know you guys hate Sense, but I am sure there is a Verizon version of "carrier IQ" in every Verizon phone that's also slowing the phones down.

And since its homebrew software by Verizon you will never know until a few years down the road.

I know you guys hate Sense, but I am sure there is a Verizon version of "carrier IQ" in every Verizon phone that's also slowing the phones down.

And since its homebrew software by Verizon you will never know until a few years down the road.

I like sense, but it's not just "carrier IQ" that causes the slow down. all the widgets, animations, etc that sense uses on top of the stock OS is going to eat CPU time and RAM, period.

If you're a performance nut and need to squeeze every last drop of horsepower out of your phone, a sense equipped device is probably not for you. Most phone users (myself included) aren't really in this category though, and are willing to trade a performance drop for something that looks/works more nicely than stock.

kehs

Banned
I think I saw a story about verizon having network issues.

Most android phones have bloated apps preloaded from a little known company named google that slows down the phones.

Most android phones have bloated apps preloaded from a little known company named google that slows down the phones.

I was under the impression it was the carriers (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, Tmobile) preloading "bloat apps." (for instance, I have a blockbuster app and a Nascar app on my evo I CANNOT get rid of without rooting my phone).

the "nexus phones" google is responsible for don't have any of that.

kehs

Banned
I was under the impression it was the carriers (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, Tmobile) preloading "bloat apps."

the "nexus phones" google is responsible for don't have any of that.

I'm talking about things like music, maps, gmail, etc.

Most aosp builds fly when not bogged downed with google stuff.

tino

Banned
So people are expecting Google's Goggles to be an indepent device apparently? http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...-heads-up-display-may-sell-them-by-years-end/

I'd be suprised if they went that root instead of having it be a peripheral. Between wifi direct, bluetooth, and usb host mode, I don't see why they'd duplicate the cpu/gpu/etc.

-----

Moto Cliq 2 getting Gingerbread. Hah.

CPU/GPU is cheap,why not. If you can play a game on your console, you don't want to play it on remote play.

tino

Banned

That's why I prefer CyanergenMod over Nexus phones. Nexus phones are crippled Samsung phone for suckers.

thespot84

That actually makes sense. That way you can update a shopping list from the kitchen, and its synced to your phone as you walk out. Or lights and climate control for your house. Or notifications the laundry is done and ready to move to the dryer, or take out and fold.

Yup, the fact that it's taken this long for something like my washing machine to be able to notify me when it's done seems absurb to be honest.

godnorazi

Banned
man the galaxy nexus with a better camera or the xperia s with OLED wouldve been the perfect phone for me... is the s3 supposed to both an HD AMOLED AND a high performance backlit camera sensor?

Circle T

Teaser for the ASUS CocoPhone....

http://youtu.be/Lz9tHiQS2uk

Droid-Life said:
Asus Teases the Padfone Before MWC – “Divided We Stand, Together We Rock”

Not that there was any question over whether or not Asus would unveil the almost forgotten Padfone at Mobile World Congress next week after press releases went out, but this new teaser helps to confirm it further. With a not-so-sneaky slogan of “Divided we stand, together we rock,” it’s painfully obvious that they are talking about the joining of a tablet and a smartphone.

To catch those of you up that haven’t followed the saga of the Padfone – which is an awful name by the way – we’ll run through its history briefly. Originally introduced around last May, the Padfone would be a 4.3″ phone with the ability to dock inside and power a 10.1″ tablet. In theory, it really is the best of both worlds. You would have a phone for you day-to-day tasks and a tablet for those bigger multimedia times. However, after having been introduced, the product seemed to have disappeared for a bit until finally resurfacing in November with word that it would appear MWC. It makes sense that the product would be delayed until Ice Cream Sandwich was released though. How else would Asus have been able to load Gingerbread and Honeycomb all onto one device? Now with Android 4.0, they no longer need to have a device that can dual-boot.

So here we stand just days away. Are you ready for it? Suggestions for a new name?

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/2...before-mwc-divided-we-stand-together-we-rock/

Circle T

nom nom nom.

I'm guessing they are gonna use the keyboard dock too.

The teaser theme was oddly similar to the Galaxy Nexus teasers.... I'm excite.

Probably. When they showed that "1 + 1 + 1" that was all I could think. PadFone with the keyboard dock, with Ubuntu.... NICE!!!

jee

I did. It was on when I left for work, was off when I got to work, then I held the power button for a while and it looked to boot up, but when I checked again it was off and won't turn on now.

When I got my TFP the battery was so dead I had to charge it for 40+ minutes before it would turn on. Holding down the power button for 2 seconds would just make the led in the button blink 3 times.

Could this be the case with you?

THRILLH0

Banned
I don't care if she would like TW, I am in control of the phones software wise, and no matter what I would take TW off first thing. Trying to figure out how to buy it though. Want it relatively cheap with renewal of contract

Is your girlfriend 12?

Why are you in control of the phone whether she likes it or not?

JCX

When I got my TFP the battery was so dead I had to charge it for 40+ minutes before it would turn on. Holding down the power button for 2 seconds would just make the led in the button blink 3 times.

Could this be the case with you?

No, OG TF only has an LED light on the dock, and that doesn't blink when I turn the dock on. I've had it charging for a while, so I know it's not dead. Guess I'll just have to call Asus after work.

Ashhong

Is your girlfriend 12?

Why are you in control of the phone whether she likes it or not?

Because I am more tech savvy and want to make the phone the best possible experience for her? She won't really have a chance to see if she likes TW or not, because I will root it asap.

I don't think its that hard of a concept to understand. It's like saying, "why upgrade a computer to Windows 7 when she likes Windows 98?"

Because I am more tech savvy and want to make the phone the best possible experience for her? She won't really have a chance to see if she likes TW or not, because I will root it asap.

I don't think its that hard of a concept to understand. It's like saying, "why upgrade a computer to Windows 7 when she likes Windows 98?"

I don't understand why you can't take your girl and shop for a phone together and see what she likes while you tell her the pros and cons of each device.

Ashhong

I don't understand why you can't take your girl and shop for a phone together and see what she likes while you tell her the pros and cons of each device.

Who says I can't? I don't even know why that guy brought back my conversation. I initially posted in here so that I can have an idea of what phones to look up so that I can do exactly what you said, "tell her the pros and cons"

Husker86

I really don't get how Franco kernel is so popular. I'm on AOKP M3, was running Franco 15.x for a while and it was fine (though I'd get resets very rarely). I got his new one yesterday (18.2 I think) and my phone wouldn't wake when left alone consistently. I turned off my overclock/undervolt (which worked fine before) and it would still happen. I installed Imo's leankernel 2.2 and turned overclock/undervolt back on and have been fine ever since.

Similar issues happened on his earlier kernels too, so I'm not going by just my last night's experience.

While I know I must be in the minority based on the popularity, I can't believe I'm the only one having issues with Franco's kernels.

RetroMG

Finally made the jump to Droid with an incredible 2. Loving it so far, but man does it eat battery power. I had the gps on today which certainly did not help. Thinking about rooting and changing the ROM. Any suggestions? I use CM7 on my Nook color but I don't know if there is a better option for my phone.

Husker86

Finally made the jump to Droid with an incredible 2. Loving it so far, but man does it eat battery power. I had the gps on today which certainly did not help. Thinking about rooting and changing the ROM. Any suggestions? I use CM7 on my Nook color but I don't know if there is a better option for my phone.

AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) supports the Incredible 2 now and is a very nice ICS build. I use it on my Galaxy Nexus.

Here is a link to their "Milestone"3 release. They release newer builds but their Milestones are supposed to be verified stable. Look around on the forum a bit but I think it's be one of it not the best ROM for your phone.

http://forum.aokp.co/page/releases/_/m3

JCX

Called Asus. Not only did I learn that I've been saying it wrong (Eh-soos sounds weird), but I also have to send it in for repair. At least it is free. Going to be pissed when Asus releases ICS for it tomorrow.

Doopliss

Is there a reason why Nvidias Tegra 3 is behind performance wise against Qualcomms latest Dual Core Kraken?
*Krait is a newer processor architecture than the Cortex-A9 which the Tegra 3 uses.

Performance of ARM cores has always been characterized by DMIPS (Dhrystone Millions of Instructions per Second). An extremely old integer benchmark, Dhrystone was popular in the PC market when I was growing up but was abandoned long ago in favor of more representative benchmarks. You can get a general idea of performance improvements across similar architectures assuming there are no funny compiler tricks at play. The comparison of single-core DMIPS/MHz is below:

Code:
 	 	ARM11	 ARM Cortex A8	 ARM Cortex A9	 Qualcomm Scorpion	 Qualcomm Krait
DMIPS/MHz	 1.25	 	2.0	 	2.5	 	2.1	 		3.3
At 3.3, Krait should be around 30% faster than a Cortex A9 running at the same frequency. At launch Krait will run 25% faster than most A9s on the market today, a gap that will only grow as Qualcomm introduces subsequent versions of the core. It's not unreasonable to expect a 30 - 50% gain in performance over existing smartphone designs. ARM hasn't published DMIPS/MHz numbers for the Cortex A15, although rumors place its performance around 3.5 DMIPS/MHz.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4940/qualcomm-new-snapdragon-s4-msm8960-krait-architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom