• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't get how Franco kernel is so popular. I'm on AOKP M3, was running Franco 15.x for a while and it was fine (though I'd get resets very rarely). I got his new one yesterday (18.2 I think) and my phone wouldn't wake when left alone consistently. I turned off my overclock/undervolt (which worked fine before) and it would still happen. I installed Imo's leankernel 2.2 and turned overclock/undervolt back on and have been fine ever since.

Similar issues happened on his earlier kernels too, so I'm not going by just my last night's experience.

While I know I must be in the minority based on the popularity, I can't believe I'm the only one having issues with Franco's kernels.

I stopped using AOKP M3 + Franco kernel

now using modocom 4.0.4 and the stock kernel that comes with it...awesomely fast, great battery and very stable.

using franco with 4.0.4 made the performance worst.

HenryHSH

Flashing my SGS4G with Valhalla Final. I'm a little nervous, since I'm new to Android but it's been simple enough so far. Wish I had a vibrant instead of a 4G so I could use ICS though. :(

Krait vs. Tegra 3

And... the Optimus 4x:

The hardware is LG's first Android 4.0 device and uses a slightly more restrained version of LG's custom interface layer. Also new is LG's largest IPS-based screen short of the Optimus Vu, which at 4.7 inches and 720p is potentially ideal for video. LG still claims a very thin design at 8.9mm (0.35 inches) and thin bezels to minimize the impact of the larger screen.

Inside, it has an unusually capacious 2,150mAh battery as well as familiar components like an eight-megapixel rear camera, a 1.3-megapixel front camera, and 16GB of internal storage. LG hasn't mentioned a microSD slot and may be locked to internal storage, although it does have DLNA media sharing and support for MHL video from its USB port.

K32lv.jpg

JonnyBrad

No hardware buttons!
No software buttons either!

Wtf is this shit?

I assume there are hardware buttons that aren't lit on the bottom bezel.

Anyway its an LG so as nice as it looks there would never be any updates and the support would be non existent.

3rdman

Flashing my SGS4G with Valhalla Final. I'm a little nervous, since I'm new to Android but it's been simple enough so far. Wish I had a vibrant instead of a 4G so I could use ICS though. :(

You'll be happy, I'm sure, I've been running Valhalla Final since it released and without issues. Battery life is good and it is very stable.

tino

Banned
Why do these Korean press release always use the wrong ultra wide angle lens to shoot the products? Every model and every product always look distorted to shit.

Just look at every Korean product press release on Engadget.

rabhw

My Galaxy Nexus am cry ;__; .

Only a couple months and it's getting bludgeoned in benchmarks. It was inevitable, but at least it'll be getting OS updates quickly :D

leadbelly

Banned
It should also be pointed out that it isn't the only chipset Nvidia are releasing this year.

Tegra (Wayne) series
Processor: quad- with companion core ARM Cortex-A15 MPCore
Improved 24 (for the quad-core) and 32 to 64 (for the octa-core) GPU cores with support for Directx 11+, OpenGL 4.X, and PhysX
28 nm HPL [25]
About 10 times faster than Tegra 2
To be released in 2012 Jun

kinggroin

Banned
I stopped using AOKP M3 + Franco kernel

now using modocom 4.0.4 and the stock kernel that comes with it...awesomely fast, great battery and very stable.

using franco with 4.0.4 made the performance worst.

That's because Franco is a 4.0.3 based kernel.

I hate ver.18 and up. Incredibly unstable.

Pctx

Banned
It seems like the chipsets that were supposed to be out by now (that aren't) is going to make life interesting for 4.0 and 5.0 later this year.

Circle T

Those of you who enjoy hardware buttons, your new device has arrived (lol).....

AndroidPolice said:
Samsung And AT&T Intro The Rugby Smart For March 4th, A Rough And Rugged Mid-Ranger For $99 With Two-Year Agreement

Rumors of an upcoming ruggedized handset for AT&T made their way around the 'net earlier this week, and that handset is now a reality on Big Blue. The Samsung Rugby Smart is a waterproof, dustproof, and extreme temperature-resistant mid-range handset, perfect for the outdoorsman (or anyone who is prone to destroying devices):

• 3.7-inch 480*800 Super AMOLED display
  • 4GB internal storage, microSD card slot
  • 5 MP rear shooter
  • 1.3 MP front camera
  • Dustproof
  • Waterproof (submergible up to 1 meter for 30 minutes)
  • 1650mAh battery
  • Android 2.3

If the Rugby Smart sounds like the rugged handset you've been waiting for, you can make it yours on March 4th for $99 with a two-year agreement.

2012-02-23-10h12_261.png

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ed-mid-ranger-for-99-with-two-year-agreement/

RetroMG

AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) supports the Incredible 2 now and is a very nice ICS build. I use it on my Galaxy Nexus.

Here is a link to their "Milestone"3 release. They release newer builds but their Milestones are supposed to be verified stable. Look around on the forum a bit but I think it's be one of it not the best ROM for your phone.

http://forum.aokp.co/page/releases/_/m3

Thanks for this. I did it last night (a little more complicated than I expected,) and my phone is already doing so much better.

The next Nexus phone has so much potential, just by looking at all these new chips coming out, and things like the motorolla maxx battery, and so on. Really hope they don't skimp on it. Will make the iphone 5 vs nexus 4 tough to choose, which is what I want.

tino

Banned
The next Nexus phone has so much potential, just by looking at all these new chips coming out, and things like the motorolla maxx battery, and so on. Really hope they don't skimp on it. Will make the iphone 5 vs nexus 4 tough to choose, which is what I want.

And the twist is Google will use a Intel Atom chip for the next Nexus phone in an effort to alienate the Wintel alliance.

Thats quite a lovely pair of... phones you got there.

She can put in between her... double dragons.

HenryHSH

You'll be happy, I'm sure, I've been running Valhalla Final since it released and without issues. Battery life is good and it is very stable.
I like it a lot so far but the battery life doesn't look promising. :(
Performance Is much better without all the tmobile bloatware.

what's tough about that choice? get the iPhone 4G
don't know if you're joking but you're preaching to the choir bud, I currently use a 4S and love it, iOS is my shit. But I do have an ipad...and I get bored of things easily. I had the nexus S, got bored of android, went back to iOS, and I'm sure I'll get bored again, unless the new one blows my mind, which it could.

Of course if the next nexus phone follows this stupid trend of huge phones, then I will pass.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I signed up. 50gb upgrade popped up instantly. Seems a lot like dropbox. Ill have to set it up on the PC and see how it works.
On android it has an autoupload everywhere option that seems interesting, I am trying to figure out exactly all that it includes.

r1chard

I'm in the market for a tablet, and I'll be in the US in a little over a week's time so that seems like a good opportunity to get one cheaper than in Australia. Saving $150 on a Prime is pretty easy, for example.

Barring any imminent releases I think the best of the 10" tablets at the moment would be the Transformer Prime (tegra 3, great screen and battery), followed by the Galaxy Tab (better battery and screen) or Iconia A500 (meh screen, better connectivity, poor battery).

The thing is this: I don't want to buy a laptop since I already have one of those, so I'm not interested in the dock for the Prime. And it's really hard to find solid information on what the connector on the Prime can do - everyone just assumes you get the dock.

So, questions if anyone can answer: can the pad connector let me mount the pad as a USB drive? Would it allow me to run the pad in host mode and mount other USB drives/devices?

I really just wish they'd announce the damn release dates for the A510 and A700 and put me out of my misery :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom