• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

I just bought a Droid RAZR, any good case recommendations for it? And should I get a screen protector?

I always get a screen protector, no matter the phone. I know these screens are supposed to be scratch resistant, but that's not really 100% true. You will develop some kind of wear marks on it. The good protectors are practically invisible and don't affect the usage at all, so why not?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I always get a screen protector, no matter the phone. I know these screens are supposed to be scratch resistant, but that's not really 100% true. You will develop some kind of wear marks on it. The good protectors are practically invisible and don't affect the usage at all, so why not?

Invisible Shield?

Can someone help me get Steam on my Android phone?

I'm using a Samsung Captivate from AT&T and it doesn't let me download apps outside the Android Market, and I cannot find Steam in the Android Market.

I tried the website but it says my account doesn't have a device. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Achtius

I'm using a Samsung Captivate from AT&T and it doesn't let me download apps outside the Android Market, and I cannot find Steam in the Android Market.

I tried the website but it says my account doesn't have a device. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

you probably searched "steam", so try searching "valve corporation"

also try sending the link to your phone and open it via market

tokkun

Seems like a waste to me. No scratches on my Evo after almost 2 years, and I keep it in pockets with keys/coins and drop it occasionally. I've chipped the casing, but the screen is pristine. Before I bought the phone I remember seeing videos of guys taking razor blades to the glass and failing to scratch it.

Mercurial

I've had a Nexus S for about at year now and I'm pretty rough with it. It's often in my pocket with keys and I've dropped it a lot. The screen looks brand new. It's really amazing.

I never ever get a screen protector. Just never put it in a pocket with keys and nothing should happen. I put it in my jeans or my jacket pockets and nothing has ever happened to my screens. I only get something for the back of phones.

I always notice screen protectors and they make the screen look a bit.. Off.. Never have used one and never have scratched the glass, with rough usage.

derder

I want to give my lil bro my Atrix. He doesn't have a smartphone plan and just wants to use WiFi when he's at work. Is it possible to turn off mobile data and avoid being detected by AT&T?

Husker86

I want to give my lil bro my Atrix. He doesn't have a smartphone plan and just wants to use WiFi when he's at work. Is it possible to turn off mobile data and avoid being detected by AT&T?

I'm pretty sure they can detect IMEI and know it's one of their own phones and consequently, what phone it is. My assumption is that they would add a data plan shortly after he started using it. I could be wrong though. I know they do it for their iPhones.

Ecto311

I'm pretty sure they can detect IMEI and know it's one of their own phones and consequently, what phone it is. My assumption is that they would add a data plan shortly after he started using it. I could be wrong though. I know they do it for their iPhones.

The system does sweeps and finds the IMEI in service, if a smart phone it automatically tags it with the larger data plan. Sometimes it happens really fast and other times it can take a few days. But it will happen.

How can they force a data plan onto you if you dont use their network and just wifi?

If you have a sim card in it and make calls it is on their network. The terms and conditions state that a smart phone will be required to have a data plan and the system automates that.

zoku88

The system does sweeps and finds the IMEI in service, if a smart phone it automatically tags it with the larger data plan. Sometimes it happens really fast and other times it can take a few days. But it will happen.

If you have a sim card in it and make calls it is on their network. The terms and conditions state that a smart phone will be required to have a data plan and the system automates that.

This only works for AT&T branded phones though, right (like the Atrix, unfortunately for this person's brother.)

If someone brought like a Galaxy Nexus to their network and tried this, they wouldn't be caught, right?

HenryHSH

My previous plan was with at&t and my last phone was an iPhone that I bought off ebay, which I jailbroke and disabled the data on.
It showed an iPhone on my account page but I was never charged for 3G in the 2+ years I used the phone.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
you can buy screen protectors off of amazon for like $5 and they work better than IG. IG always leaves air bubbles. I got 3 screen protectors for my old EVO from amazon and they work well! Plus you can remove and put them back on as much as you want.

Circle T

We TouchPad owners already had the 50GB box.net promotion way before it was hip.

I borrowed a demo LG Nitro at work a few month ago to do this when they were giving away the 50GB deal for LG owners. Don't use it much, but it's nice having another spot to save things.

Are you all up to date with software on that thing?? I could have sworn in one of the updates to that thing they enabled the "Unknown Sources" checkbox to allow this. I would check with my own personal Captivate, but that thing hasn't been stock for a LOOOONG time.

Getjar is such a fucking battery drain. Past few weeks I was wondering why my phone won't last 8 hours and why it is continously awake. Then I found out it was caused by that app.

Good riddance.

Al-ibn Kermit

Getjar is such a fucking battery drain. Past few weeks I was wondering why my phone won't last 8 hours and why it is continously awake. Then I found out it was caused by that app.

Good riddance.

you don't need to keep GetJar on the device, it's not like the Amazon Appstore where the apps stop working if you remove it.

Circle T

OK, the rest of the phone is pretty meh, but the unlock method on the new LG Optimus 4X is sweet as hell. It's sort of like the circle unlock in Honeycomb, or on the Galaxy Note, but you can unlock from anywhere, and when you drag out the circle, it reveals the homescreen desktop beneath it. Really a nice touch....

http://youtu.be/vXvKWZxG5PY

I borrowed a demo LG Nitro at work a few month ago to do this when they were giving away the 50GB deal for LG owners. Don't use it much, but it's nice having another spot to save things.

Are you all up to date with software on that thing?? I could have sworn in one of the updates to that thing they enabled the "Unknown Sources" checkbox to allow this. I would check with my own personal Captivate, but that thing hasn't been stock for a LOOOONG time.
yeah, it's supposed to be an option in the Gingerbread update that released last month.

OK, the rest of the phone is pretty meh, but the unlock method on the new LG Optimus 4X is sweet as hell. It's sort of like the circle unlock in Honeycomb, or on the Galaxy Note, but you can unlock from anywhere, and when you drag out the circle, it reveals the homescreen desktop beneath it. Really a nice touch....

http://youtu.be/vXvKWZxG5PY

that does look sweet, but smh @ their ICS launcher.

Krait vs. Tegra 3

And... the Optimus 4x:

K32lv.jpg

I like how the phones are bigger than their fucking heads. Is this normal these days?

Al-ibn Kermit

Yeah and it seems to be getting normal. This one girl in my class is just over 5 feet tall and she has a Galaxy Nexus. At first I thought she was using a Note because of how tiny her hands were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom