• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

So tiny tower just popped up in my notification bar:

"How high is your tower? Add more floors!"

That is some zynga level bullshit right there, I'm not really happy about it at all.

reKon

Banned
Chrome is nearly godlike now (no flash holds it back). It runs very fast now with that update and swiping between tabs from the sides of the screen is more quick and it actually consistently works for me now.

gcubed

Chrome is nearly godlike now (no flash holds it back). It runs very fast now with that update and swiping between tabs from the sides of the screen is more quick and it actually consistently works for me now.

It recognizes most app links and its rendering is fixed. Once the app links are fully fixed its the best

tino

Banned

It's not guaranteed its thinner than HD2.

it_photo_140329_52.jpg

FireCloud

So tiny tower just popped up in my notification bar:

"How high is your tower? Add more floors!"

That is some zynga level bullshit right there, I'm not really happy about it at all.
That would be grounds for immediate uninstallation. Can't stand when apps like that presume they deserve my attention when I'm not playing them.

Anyone else having serious issues with market apps failing to update? I have lost count of the invalid files source messages i have deleted from my notification bar. Retrying over and over eventually gets them all to download, but im tired of it. Started about 2 weeks ago, but i t feels like it got worse since then.

Is there something i should do?

zbeeb

Anyone else having serious issues with market apps failing to update? I have lost count of the invalid files source messages i have deleted from my notification bar. Retrying over and over eventually gets them all to download, but im tired of it. Started about 2 weeks ago, but i t feels like it got worse since then.

Is there something i should do?

Have you tried going to app settings and clearing market data?

Do you have to use an external sd card to root your phone? Or can I just put the file in my regular folder system? I've just seen a couple of videos and one uses an an external sd card and another refers to his storage as an "internal" sd card? Is such a thing even possible?

also do you need to root your phone in order to install custom roms? A post on xda (which I find is filled with unhelpful grumpy smart asses) reads

Just run Odin using that CWM recovery tar I linked, flash that, then you're gold. Really unless you're just dying to run the stock rom but with root/su, once CWM is flashed you can go on your happy way and flash custom roms/themes etc just as you always have. Of course, the nice side-effect of custom roms is that they're pre-rooted and have busybox and everything else you might want

I'm sorry for being a noob but hey you gotta start somewhere.

lastly, my biggest question of all. What does flash mean?

markot

Banned
Internal is just the built in memory. External_sd is the folder in android for the removeable sd card, then there is internal sd for the 16gb or whatever your phone has, then there is system memory which is... for the system.

Um. I dont think you need an sd card at all, it helps for back ups though.

Piano

Banned
Posting from chrome.

Don't like the inability to disable flash and the absence of quick controls. Otherwise seems good.

Back to stock for now

K444WSR

Needed a bit of quick advice android-gaf.
T-Mobile (UK), have just offered me the Xperia S for free on a 24month contract at £21. I've still got 6 months left on my contract and am happy with the tariff. What I was hoping for was a bit of guidance on the phone. I've looked at the specs and it seems quite decent, but with so many android phones being released/announced every day, it's hard to keep up. I wouldn't consider myself a power user, but I do like messing about with the phones/apps and a good camera is a must. I'm currently using a xperia mini pro.
Thanks in advance peeps.

Polari

T-Mobile (UK), have just offered me the Xperia S for free on a 24month contract at £21. I've still got 6 months left on my contract and am happy with the tariff. What I was hoping for was a bit of guidance on the phone. I've looked at the specs and it seems quite decent, but with so many android phones being released/announced every day, it's hard to keep up. I wouldn't consider myself a power user, but I do like messing about with the phones/apps and a good camera is a must. I'm currently using a xperia mini pro.
Thanks in advance peeps.

The Xperia S looks like a great phone... will be getting 4.0 soon, 720p screen, dual-core processor, striking design. I would say go for it.

wario

Thanks in advance peeps.

things to think about regarding the xperia s:

micro-SIM card
non-removable battery
no expandable storage
outdated CPU

if those things don't bother you then it's a pretty nice phone.

you might as well wait a couple days and see what gets announced at mwc.

EDIT: just realized you wanted a good camera. xperia s has one of the best. link

K444WSR

things to think about regarding the xperia s:

micro-SIM card
non-removable battery
no expandable storage
outdated CPU

if those things don't bother you then it's a pretty nice phone.

you might as well wait a couple days and see what gets announced at mwc.

EDIT: just realized you wanted a good camera. xperia s has one of the best. link

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
When you say outdated cpu, are you saying it's going to be outdated by the time new phones comeout this year or outdated by phones that have already been released. My brother has a Galaxy S2, and if it's comparable to that then I'd be happy.
The non-expandable storage is something I considered, but figure 32gb will be enough for my needs. Again, thanks for the replies.

Edit: Just had a look at the link Wario, I'm liking the camera shots.

Polari

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
When you say outdated cpu, are you saying it's going to be outdated by the time new phones comeout this year or outdated by phones that have already been released. My brother has a Galaxy S2, and if it's comparable to that then I'd be happy.
The non-expandable storage is something I considered, but figure 32gb will be enough for my needs. Again, thanks for the replies.

Edit: Just had a look at the link Wario, I'm liking the camera shots.

Performance should be more or less the same as the Galaxy S2. The part in the Xperia is clocked higher, but not really any faster it seems (S2 has a better GPU). Also keep in mind that performance should be even better once upgraded to 4.0.

K444WSR

Performance should be more or less the same as the Galaxy S2. The part in the Xperia is clocked higher, but not really any faster it seems. Also keep in mind that performance should be even better once upgraded to 4.0.

Okay that sounds fine with me. With the non-removable battery, this is going to sound higly noobish, but the batteries on these phones are designed to last at least a couple of years, right?

Polari

Okay that sounds fine with me. With the non-removable battery, this is going to sound higly noobish, but the batteries on these phones are designed to last at least a couple of years, right?

Yeah, if you're on contract with T-mobile I'm sure they'll have some kind of replacement service anyway if it comes down to that.

K444WSR

Okay, that's cool with me. Thanks a lot Polari and Wario, appreciate it. Gonna order it now; they said they'll get it out to me when it's released, so hopefully a couple of weeks. Cheers guys.

leadbelly

Banned
Do you have to use an external sd card to root your phone? Or can I just put the file in my regular folder system? I've just seen a couple of videos and one uses an an external sd card and another refers to his storage as an "internal" sd card? Is such a thing even possible?

also do you need to root your phone in order to install custom roms? A post on xda (which I find is filled with unhelpful grumpy smart asses) reads

May I ask what phone you are using?

What he is basically saying is you need to install clockwork recovery first. Once you have done that, you put the zip file to permanently root your phone in the root of the sd card. You then go into Hboot and select 'recovery'. Backup up your phone settings and then go down to 'install zip from SD card'. The reason I asked what phone you have is because if it is a HTC phone you will need to S-off first.

I've just explained the process, but I imagine you don't fully get the terms I just used. Check to see if there is a section on XDA for whatever phone you have. There will more than likely be a noob friendly guide that will take you through the process step by step.

kinggroin

Banned
Backing store?

I may be using the wrong terminology here, so forgive me. From what I understand, the backing store pertains to caching, and in the case of ICS, involving the gpu to do it. Samsung created a custom backing store for its gingerbread browser, which is why it runs silky smooth even in a non-hw accelerated OS.

Chrome is crazy fast, but the way it handles the initial caching of a web page makes the first time you scroll through it, very choppy. Subsequent scrolling and such are perfectly smooth, but I usually only scroll through a page once.

To avoid the issue, I've sorta trained myself to scroll the page I'm on once to cache it, then start from the top to enjoy the smooth performance. Sad huh?

Here's what anand says about the backing store:

Like the original Galaxy S, on SGS2 samsung has made enhancements to the browser that dramatically increase smoothness. At the time we could only explain the performance increase by shrugging and claiming it was GPU accelerated. We know a bit more now about what enhancements are required to make browsing smooth in this fashion, and the answer lies in a backing store. A backing store is essentially a nice way of saying cache, and in this case what’s being cached is the rendered page itself, which is either rendered into a texture or some intermediary that’s a step above final rendering.

A backing store is what makes iOS’ browser so smooth, and you can see it render into the texture (or if you overscroll beyond the render, where it hasn’t yet) with those little grey rectangles. Render into a big texture, and then it’s a relatively free GPU operation to transform and clip that texture when a user scrolls around the page, though zooming will require a re-draw. Until Android 3.x, however, the stock Android browser hasn’t had a backing store, which is why translating around feels choppy. As a result, it has been the burden of OEMs to make their browsers feel snappy by incorporating their own backing stores. HTC works with Qualcomm to bring an appropriate level of smoothness to their devices, I already mentioned Android 3.x has one (which will no doubt carry over to Ice Cream Sandwich), and Samsung again has one this go-around in SGS2 just like they did with the original SGS

tino

Banned

You sound like a noob. In that case I suggest steer clear of XDA, that place is a dungeon.

Go to androidcentral forum or whatever and search "[your phone model] root" and start from there.

Most likely you can root your phone with superoneclick on windows so try that first. Don't think about flashing any rom until you are conformtable. If you don't know the different between rooting and a custom rom, you don't need a custom rom.

leadbelly

Banned
You sound like a noob. In that case I suggest steer clear of XDA, that place is a dungeon.

Go to androidcentral forum or whatever and search "[your phone model] root" and start from there.

Most likely you can root your phone with superoneclick on windows so try that first. Don't think about flashing any rom until you are conformtable. If you don't know the different between rooting and a custom rom, you don't need a custom rom.

He doesn't even have to communicate with people on the forum of XDA. There are usually very good user-friendly guides to everything on there. The files he will need are all provided in the guides.

Any custom rom he wishes to install will also have a very good guide to go with it.

Question to tablet owners:

Do you use notifications a lot? I've had limited play time with tablets, but it seems like tapping the notification area is a lot less convenient than pulling down the shade on a phone, which is maybe my favorite Android feature.

I was hoping ICS would make tablet notifications more inviting... maybe a little corner handle that you can drag out or something.

Also, are there any good games with real-time online play? My dream is Panel de Pon / Tetris Attack. I wouldn't mind them requiring WiFi to play versus.

Blackhead

Redarse
What's the best app for sticking incoming call alerts in the status bar (or some other non-intrusive area) instead of the default that takes over the whole screen?

tino

Banned
He doesn't even have to communicate with people on the forum of XDA. There are usually very good user-friendly guides to everything on there. The files he will need are all provided in the guides.

Any custom rom he wishes to install will also have a very good guide to go with it.

I have flashed 5-6? android devices. I wouldn't call the xda guides friendly. They never bother to explain things like Android SDK. And every guide make reference to 5 other threads just at the first paragraph.

many Android devices with a large amount of flash memory have it partitioned so that some is locked only for system use, some is for app use, and the rest is user addressable. the user addressable onboard storage is usually labeled as an 'SD Card' internally to keep app compatibility with external storage higher.

rooting with the internal shouldn't be a problem (usually), but depending on the device, flashing custom roms may require external storage.

ODIN is a Windows app for flashing Samsung phones. it can flash one, some or all partitions of the phone (modem, recovery, kernel, system, rom, etc...). it allows people to flash a pre-rooted kernel without already having a way (exploit, etc) to root or install a custom recovery.

Flash means to electronically program data onto the memory componets of a device.

JCX

Do you use notifications a lot? I've had limited play time with tablets, but it seems like tapping the notification area is a lot less convenient than pulling down the shade on a phone, which is maybe my favorite Android feature.

I was hoping ICS would make tablet notifications more inviting... maybe a little corner handle that you can drag out or something.

Also, are there any good games with real-time online play? My dream is Panel de Pon / Tetris Attack. I wouldn't mind them requiring WiFi to play versus.

I actually kind of prefer the tablet notifications to the notification bar. Each works for its respective device. Tablets are bigger, so it's nice to just be able to use my thumb that is already near the bottom right corner to check notifications, rather than having to move my hand up, pull down notifications, then push it back up.

I own an OG Transformer, btw. A notification bar might be nicer on a smaller tablet, though.

kehs

Banned

You can do both with the tablet actually. You can inspect notification individually, or you can bring them all up at one by hitting the clock.

tino

Banned
So the new HTC has 4.7" screen and a quadcore Tegra chip, and capacity buttons. What happen to the Qualcomm haters, do they still hate HTC?

4.7" seem to be the new standard for quadcore phones. I think both HTC and LG know Samsung is going to use similar sized screen for Galaxy S3. I wonder if BGR will review any flagship Android phones from now on.

I think this phone will be the first quadcore phone to available in the US (on Verizon). HTC announced the Rezound late but it was the first 720p phone to show up in retail.

rozay

Banned
Clean, and I'm very curious how the camera quality will turn out.

edit: oh god the specs say the camera is EDoF why HTC why

So the new HTC has 4.7" screen and a quadcore Tegra chip, and capacity buttons. What happen to the Qualcomm haters, do they still hate HTC?

4.7" seem to be the new standard for quadcore phones. I think both HTC and LG know Samsung is going to use similar sized screen for Galaxy S3. I wonder if BGR will review any flagship Android phones from now on.

I think this phone will be the first quadcore phone to available in the US (on Verizon). HTC announced the Rezound late but it was the first 720p phone to show up in retail.

I think 4.7" is pushing it on the "it's too big for me" scale for a phone. I think 4" is the sweet spot, hope we still see some great phones in that range.

yep, no mistake, that's a HTC phone.

kehs

Banned
Haters gonna hate, I actually like the One S, have a nice shape reminiscent of the Nexus line.

The curved screen from front to side is pretty sex too, a little shorter in transtion, but very much like the Nokia N9.

That's also the most inviting white phone I've seen, second to the N9.

I....kinda want this phone, haha.

outsidah

I think 4.7" is pushing it on the "it's too big for me" scale for a phone. I think 4" is the sweet spot, hope we still see some great phones in that range.

I think the general public is still timid about anything over 4 or max 4.3. Personally, I feel 4.3 is a minimum at this point and feel the Nexus has it spot on. I haven't enjoyed a phone this much since I had the original iPhone.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

ooooooh, quadband 3G~!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom