• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-ibn Kermit

They've already made a successful 5.3 inch phone. I don't think most people have a problem with a 4.8 inch phone as long as it's not too thick to fit in their pockets.

dream

You think 4.8 is bad? I played with a sample of a 13.3" tablet last week, Coco. Everything is getting comically big.

zbeeb

has anyones facebook notifications 'fixed' themselves recently?

I found I would get notifications for a few days after installing the app and then they'll just stop. Now, for no reason at all, theyve started again and are working flawlessly - except they arrive a few (5 or so) minutes later than the website will get them.

Good news i guess?

kehs

Banned
You laugh, good Coco, but that was actually why I asked you about the Kindle double spacing thing. Reading a book, double spaced, on a 13.3" tablet with a res of like 1600x900 is just a horrible experience.

That's so awesome. Are you serious?

----

e: You guys know those plates that are unbreakable? Those are considered "ceramic", look up corelle ceramics.

leadbelly

Banned
4.8 inches? lol gtfo with that samsung., they're turninginto the jay-z of the phone game.

lol

We're going backwards in terms of size.

the-brick--talking-mobile-phone-holder.jpg

rozay

Banned

----

e: You guys know those plates that are unbreakable? Those are considered "ceramic", look up corelle ceramics.
I dropped a corelle plate once and it exploded into 30 pieces. To be fair it was old, but I'm not sure how durable that'll be over the plastic samsung seems to adore.

kehs

Banned
I dropped a corelle plate once and it exploded into 30 pieces. To be fair it was old, but I'm not sure how durable that'll be over the plastic samsung seems to adore.

You dropped it wrong.

(I'm not sure if all corelle plates are fracture resistant, but they make a sturdy kind).

why do i feel like all the big announcements of MWC have already been made? Let's hope there's still something up the manufacturers' sleeves...

can't wait to read the news in the morning. i say we just keep the news in this topic instead of creating an official thread...it feels like it's pretty much all android anyway.

tino

Banned

----

No! Corelle are made by Corning. They are considered glass. Corning does nothing but glass.

Most of my kitchen ware are Corelle. When you touch it, you can feel its glass.

Styles

Dead at Samsung confusing me with their announcement of tab 2(10.1). I thought that was the successor to the tab 10.1 from last year. My head. They are almost exactly the same, spec wise.

edit: looks it is the sequel to last years 10.1.

Casp0r

Banned
You keep shaking your head. It's glass-ceramic but Corelle itself call it glass

http://www.corelle.com/manufacturing-materials

Education it yourself.

Glass and ceramic are merely crystallization states, glass being amorphous (non crystalline) and ceramic being heavily crystalline, however in real life it's detrimental to usually have it totally amorphous or crystalline and hence you get mixture's, or semi crystalline. From there you could easily state it's ceramic or glass, which ever you really think sounds cooler. However at the end of the day they're both usually the same material.

Fyi, ceramics can look and feel indistinguishable from glass.

tino

Banned
Glass and ceramic are merely crystallization states, glass being amorphous (non crystalline) and ceramic being heavily crystalline, however in real life it's detrimental to usually have it totally amorphous or crystalline and hence you get mixture's, or semi crystalline. From there you could easily state it's ceramic or glass, which ever you really think sounds cooler. However at the end of the day they're both usually the same material.

Fyi, ceramics can look and feel indistinguishable from glass.

Don't care. Corelle said its glass. Blad blad blad.

dream

I am completely serious, Coco. I think it's going to be announced in April and I look forward to us making fun of it together.

"but the hook here is the presence of a built-in TI DLP nHD (640 x 360) projector at 15 lumens of brightness"

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/26/2825474/samsung-galaxy-beam-hands-on

Hm. Good to know. How is it? Does everything work? And does it actually take advantage of the dual core processor of the G2X better than 2.3 Gingerbread?

hardware video acceleration doesn't work and video recording has issues (probably for the same reason as video accel not working) but other than that, it seems like everything works. i'm sure people in the XDA threads have better details on that stuff though.

as for GB comparisons, it's not my phone, i'm just the one that flashed it ;) but from what i recall of using the G2x before, it was already pretty snappy, i can't say that i noticed much of a difference in general performance.

panda21

just discovered AOKP and Codename android ports to the SGS2, any benefits to those over CM9? heard a few people saying AOKP is better? (although the port is based on cm9 internals anyway).

What is the codename android webos recents thing? does it work like the card tabs thing in chrome or something? sounds cool

I hope those negotiations/discussions include google saying "the hardware has to actually be fucking good". Otherwise LG is a fail. Wish they'd just use Sony or something. Their shit is nice.

tino

Banned
Nobody talk about the Huawei quadcore phone? The spec look very good. 4.5" 720p screen not too large; homegrow quadcore chip thats supposedly faster than Tegra 3; 2500mAh battery option.

If I want a one-device solution this is it.

I hope those negotiations/discussions include google saying "the hardware has to actually be fucking good". Otherwise LG is a fail. Wish they'd just use Sony or something. Their shit is nice.

when you say hardware, do you mean hardware or design?

because Sony's hardware has been lacking in actual hardware.

Nobody talk about the Huawei quadcore phone? The spec look very good. 4.5" 720p screen not too large; homegrow quadcore chip thats supposedly faster than Tegra 3; 2500mAh battery option.

Huawei has no fanboys.

when you say hardware, do you mean hardware or design?

because Sony's hardware has been lacking in actual hardware.

Huawei has no fanboys.
I mean as in hardware design, and that they don't seem to be skimping on screen/camera these days, with their latest devices. But yeah, like said above, google works with the nexus phone maker for almost a year in the same building to create the phone, so I'm positive a sony+google collaboration could churn out something epic. But LG? They bring mediocrity to the table in all categories as far as I can tell, but maybe google knows something.

Cipherr

Im waiting on video and the like. But it does sound pretty amazing. But I cant find any blogs with in depth hands on of it yet. They are all doing HTC One articles. That, and the fact that it might never see the light of day in the US.

xtop

lol, i have no doubt it will still be tops until the new chipset from Samsung releases, but Qualcomm's reference chipset results are generally much higher then on a real phone

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5584/htcs-new-strategy-the-htc-one

The One S (MSM8260A - dual core Krait 1.5GHz) performs surprisingly close to our MDP MSM8960. The software build on the One S was pretty immature, it was apparently 10 days old at the time I ran these numbers. We should have time with a device tonight that uses a newer build. The Tegra 3 equipped One X performed very well, easily equaling the Krait based SoC in the browser tests. It remains to be seen how these two SoCs compare in real world browsing tests however. NVIDIA continues to have the advantage in GLBenchmark, and unfortunately due to time constraints we weren’t able to run Basemark on the devices.

44430.png

44432.png

not bad

Donos

I wouldn't underestimate Huawei. HTC also got big like this. "htc phone? lulz what's this china crap"
I really hate the "No microSD" trend ... a shame.

Does ICS know a phone has buttons and therefore eliminates the black bar at the bottom or is that something Samsung would have to build into their upcoming GS2 ICS rom?

tino

Banned
I just realize both HTC and Sony are using 1 letter designation to differentiate their phones.

HTC One S/U/V, Sony Xperia U/P/S (BTW this P is not that Tablet P). How can anybody keep track of this shit?

BTW I personally would not consider these HTC phones. They haven't said a single word about the battery. And they make them thinner? No.

kehs

Banned
Does ICS know a phone has buttons and therefore eliminates the black bar at the bottom or is that something Samsung would have to build into their upcoming GS2 ICS rom?

Both, when Samsung builds their ICS rom they decideto exclude the on screen buttons. You caj theoretically enable on screen buttons on any device. The initial ICS roms from aosp by users for old devicea had them.

Both, when Samsung builds their ICS rom they decideto exclude the on screen buttons. You caj theoretically enable on screen buttons on any device. The initial ICS roms from aosp by users for old devicea had them.

Thank god. Even on my Xoom, i think the bar is to big and would hate to have to be stuck with it on my GS2. I LOVE MY BUTTONS DAMMIT

I think Huawei is underestimated. They're on track to take over HTC.
Speak for yourself. I am buying a TMobile Springboard.

i'm just explaining why nobody's talking about them. i really want to see the benchmarks on their SoC as well.

dropsffs not as bad as i expected... can't wait to see other 2012 SoC's benchmarked!

zedge

Wasnt crazy for the new sony Xperias but after watching some hands on I change my mind.. WOW. They are simply beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom