• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

rozay

Banned
This is just getting ridiculous. I don't mind phones being made with large screen sizes if they make phones with normal screen sizes with the same specs, and that just doesn't seem to be the case :(

godnorazi

Banned
This is just getting ridiculous. I don't mind phones being made with large screen sizes if they make phones with normal screen sizes with the same specs, and that just doesn't seem to be the case :(

i dont know how accurate that promo shot is, but if the bezel is really that small a 4.8" phone shouldnt be much larger than a 4.3"

galaxy-s-iii-bgr.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Because they don't have the ability. It isn't desire or market demand or whatever nonsense Android device makers want to claim. They just can't do it with LTE.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
4.3" isn't impressive. Show me a 4" LTE phone. It just hasn't been possible in the past year. We'll finally see smaller LTE phones in a few months, I'm sure, but it hasn't been a design or market choice. The manufacturers just never had the ability.

Doopliss

That isn't a promo shot, it's a fan made creation. That's an ergonomic nightmare anyway.
I assume you mean because the palm of your hand would brush the edge of the screen when you reach your thumb across it? They could just make the 2mm closest to each edge not respond to touch. It would cause some compatibility problems but those apps can update for such an awesome phone.

I'm not too confident there'll be a phone like that mockup for another couple of years, but the fact that the bezel was mentioned in the Galaxy Nexus marketing, despite it not being particularly noteworthy, gives me some hope that it's an area in which they intend to improve.

tino

Banned
I don't know about you guys, I don't lust after quadcore phone anymore. I can't think of a single thing I can do with quadcore.

If its physically different hardware design, like a 3000 mAh battery or 5.5" screen, yes, I have a reason to want it. What can I do with a quadcore 4.5" phone I can't do with a dualcore phone?

At lease the new Atom phone will be able to emulate XP much easier. And if the new phone can run Photoshop 5, yes I will pay big bucks for it.

kehs

Banned
I don't know about you guys, I don't lust after quadcore phone anymore. I can't think of a single thing I can do with quadcore.

If its physically different hardware design, like a 3000 mAh battery or 5.5" screen, yes, I have a reason to want it. What can I do with a quadcore 4.5" phone I can't do with a dualcore phone?

At lease the new Atom phone will be able to emulate XP much easier. And if the new phone can run Photoshop 5, yes I will pay big bucks for it.

The shift to using your mobile device as the heart of desktop computing still needs a little more umpth. Padfone/ubuntu style things.

I did't know Apple would be at MWC.

I have a Galaxy Nexus and I've never pinched it by the bezel. I either support its back or hold its sides, and I can't imagine using the bezel, so I'm not sure where the desire for it comes from.

Had no clue there was a G2X ICS ROM. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

there's actually 2. there's Eagle's Blood, based off of CM9 code and a there's also a MIUI port.

So... whats the diff between galaxy note and galaxy tab? Stylus?

Does the stylus work well with the note?
a Wacom digitizer and pen and special software that uses it.

and a 2000mAM battery... AND A BUILT IN PROJECTOR!?!? WTF?

Al-ibn Kermit

The Galaxy Beam probably doesn't have 6 GB of RAM, the person who wrote the article even mentioned there was probably a typo in the press release.

And would a 2,000 mAh battery really be enough for what is essentially a projector with a phone attached? Who the hell would need a projector in their pocket anyways?

Ecto311

Got some questions - thinking about moving from an iPhone to an android

Does the note allow you to focus the video while taking it? Like tapping on the screen and having it focus at that depth? I have the galaxy s2 right now and thinking about trading it against the note. The galaxy s2 on att (or maybe just mine) takes ok video but it does not allow you to focus it at all like the iphone. It looks like shit when its loaded into the computer and compared to the iphone

Has ICS been ported at all to the note or any news for it? My googling of the subject has gotten very little info.

Anyone have the note here or have an opinion on the phone compared to the galaxy S2? I really like the phone and 99% of what it does but the shit video is what is holding me back from either getting the S2 permanent or moving to the note. I did see one in person and the notes screen is amazing.

Looking for some advice. Had the iPhone since it came out because the captivate was a shitty phone compared to it.

Also any idea on times for ICS to move to any of the galaxy phones? I remember the captivate was supposed to get an update for a long time and never did. Wondering if samsung got better about that.

Thanks for any advice.

rozay

Banned

Does the note allow you to focus the video while taking it? Like tapping on the screen and having it focus at that depth? I have the galaxy s2 right now and thinking about trading it against the note. The galaxy s2 on att (or maybe just mine) takes ok video but it does not allow you to focus it at all like the iphone. It looks like shit when its loaded into the computer and compared to the iphone

Has ICS been ported at all to the note or any news for it? My googling of the subject has gotten very little info.

Anyone have the note here or have an opinion on the phone compared to the galaxy S2? I really like the phone and 99% of what it does but the shit video is what is holding me back from either getting the S2 permanent or moving to the note. I did see one in person and the notes screen is amazing.

Looking for some advice. Had the iPhone since it came out because the captivate was a shitty phone compared to it.

Also any idea on times for ICS to move to any of the galaxy phones? I remember the captivate was supposed to get an update for a long time and never did. Wondering if samsung got better about that.

Thanks for any advice.
I'm assuming you're going to be getting the at&t galaxy note? Hardware is different than the international version so don't expect ICS officially or unofficially for a long time-I don't think they even have it running on the skyrocket yet. Samsung has not gotten better about updating their american phones on time.

I don't think the camera software is any different than the S2 as well.

OP if you have the regular S2 from at&t and not the skyrocket, I think you can try out ICS on it since it should be fairly close to the international S2, but the skyrocket and note from at&t both use qualcomm chips and they won't have functional ICS for a while.

zbeeb

I believe the Note and S2 have the same camera sensor and software, so I highly doubt this will change.

International release for ICS for the S2 should be in March, but this may not apply to US versions (which are all different).

That said, if your interested, there are plenty of ICS custom roms available and some are definitely good enough for daily use. I'm using one on my S2 now.

Circle T

Yes, there are a few leaked ROMs out already, with the official release supposedly coming early March-ish. I'm running stock ICS on it, and it's fine.

Anyone have the note here or have an opinion on the phone compared to the galaxy S2?
I have the international version. It is the exact phone as the international GSII, just with a slightly faster clock speed, pen input, and a bigger screen, essentially. The US version, with its Qualcomm chipset, is basically the Galaxy SII Skyrocket, just larger and with the pen. If you like the GSII, but want a bigger device, the Note is it.

My Note actually replaced my Captivate. Unlike some people, I actually really enjoyed the Captivate. The ROM support for it was excellent, as was the hardware, imo. Served me very well for over a year and a half.

Samsung themselves are quite good with updating their unlocked phones. The original Galaxy S and the Galaxy SII were updated quite consistently. Since I've had my Note, there have been a couple updates already as well. It's the carriers here in the US that screw things up with delays. Keep that in mind if that is something you're concerned with.

Also, if the camera is really important to you, you'll probably be better served with an iPhone, or a Nokia or Sony Android phone. The camera is quite nice in the newer Galaxy hardware, but those other devices are probably better. I, personally, don't take many pictures/video with my phone, so its fine for me.

Ecto311

Its strange all the replies of the camera being the same. I seen a video comparison on youtube of the 4s and note and the note camera was better looking to me. But the same comparison of the s2 and the 4s show the 4s to have much better video. Another thing that gets me is how big the video is on the 4s compared. I tested my wifes 4s against my s2 and the video was almost 3x bigger files size on the 4s and not that big of a difference on the quality side.

Thanks for the input though. I might look into the note - I have 15 days from today to decide or stick with the S2 that I have.

All the looking for a rom for this phone have got me to the international edition and from what I understand it doesnt really work well for the i777 from att.

About the captivate - the GPS had issues - other then that I did like that phone but the GPS being broken and samsung with no real time fix for it I had to go with the 4 at the time.

Circle T

All the looking for a rom for this phone have got me to the international edition and from what I understand it doesnt really work well for the i777 from att.
The AT&T GSII and the international version are almost identical (other than buttons), so the ROM diversity for the AT&T version is quite robust....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1304

About the captivate - the GPS had issues - other then that I did like that phone but the GPS being broken and samsung with no real time fix for it I had to go with the 4 at the time.
Yea, it had some GPS issues stock. The fix was pretty quickly found, and then implemented in all the ROMs afterwards. I never had issue with it, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom